Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Sweat really has been a monster for Chicago.  Chase Young is the same dude he was here.  One thing is for certain, the next guy desperately needs to find a pass rusher.

We'll probably draft a DE fairly early, but there should be some good DEs on the market. Josh Allen from Jacksonville is someone we could back the truck up for. 

But it probably depends on how we approach the off-season. And my gut says we go full re-build mode, meaning our FA spending will focus more on bargain-level, high-upside players ... rather than high-end, prized FAs. 

If we choose to go re-tool on the fly, then maybe we back up the truck for a premier DE to pair with draft-pick. But my gut is we look at trading guys, even Jon Allen, and if that is the approach, I have a hard time seeing us get aggressive with prized FAs in 2024. Probably try to roll the $$ into 2025 while patching holes on the roster to at least be competitive.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Sweat was a product of poor coaching here.  There's a reason why he's thriving with the Bears and has been raving about their coaching staff.  He was the one to keep among the two DEs, but alas it is what it is now.  They're going to have to look to the draft, particularly the middle rounds, to find some pass rushers

Edited by NoVaSkins21
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

As nice as Sweat is working out for Chicago, there's still no way in hell I'd pay him the money he's getting.  He's just not nearly enough of a consistent terror to be worth it.   I'm happy for him, but I'm thrilled we got a high 2nd next draft for him AND not having to pay him a big bag of money.

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 2

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yeah, we didn't want to trade Sweat, but they pried him away with a great pick we couldn't say no too.

49ers over reached in the bargain bin for Young.

Yeah I am good with the trade.  But he's really bringing home how bad this coaching staff is when the running narrative on Sweat while he was here he's very good but always short of great -- where now he looks great when wearing another jersey.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

We know both Mayhew and Hurney's records as GM.  Poor!  And then RR takes their info and tries to be GM.  Not gonna work. I hope that this ownership will stay out of the drafting of players too.  We shall see.  Don't think they will but hope.  As for LS, they should always be taking as FA or UDFA.  Never sign one.  

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

You mean the Trey Smith that's been starting for the Chiefs the past 2 years a RG? 🤢

Yep, the same Trey Smith I think many on this board thought we should target in the 3rd or 4th round. So to have him there in the 6th and not draft him was criminal. When the trade was announced I remember being really excited because I thought we were going to take Smith. And then we took a long snapper, and I literally turned it off.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Yep, the same Trey Smith I think many on this board thought we should target in the 3rd or 4th round. So to have him there in the 6th and not draft him was criminal. When the trade was announced I remember being really excited because I thought we were going to take Smith. And then we took a long snapper, and I literally turned it off.

And this is one of dozens of times this has happened over the years with Rivera. Was really excited to go OL in R2. Then we drafted a guy I liked a lot but had been mocking in the 3rd or 4th. And that was after we drafted Forbes in the 1st when many had him mocked to us in R2. God I am so glad we are moving on.

This board would have a super bowl team at this point if we were allowed to draft over this FO. Although I think most of us would have still botched the Chase Young pick, maybe those of us who love trading down would have forced a trade back and snagged Herbert haha

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

And this is one of dozens of times this has happened over the years with Rivera. Was really excited to go OL in R2. Then we drafted a guy I liked a lot but had been mocking in the 3rd or 4th. And that was after we drafted Forbes in the 1st when many had him mocked to us in R2. God I am so glad we are moving on.

This board would have a super bowl team at this point if we were allowed to draft over this FO. Although I think most of us would have still botched the Chase Young pick, maybe those of us who love trading down would have forced a trade back and snagged Herbert haha

Mock draft industry isn’t always right but it’s amazing if we just picked “consensus pick” at the time we would have a significantly better roster. 2021 was the worst, when everyone wanted Christian Darrisaw, Etienne, or Najee Harris. Any of them would have been great here.

The Chase trade still remains a no-brainer. Chase can dance during the pre-game walk out ceremonies all he wants, but the fact is, the dude was the #2 overall pick and he's now barely playing 45% of the snaps on defense.  With Sweat I understand more of the argument that he is being productive in Chicago, but I look at that situation as more of a value judgement.  Sweat is now being paid like he is an elite premier pass rusher and while he's been good with the Bears, I don't think he's been nearly as good as the contract he got, but I have nothing against either guy and wish them both well.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

If they draft someone who can play at Sweat level it will be fine. However, he was pretty good. I could understand why they got rid of him. They need find a replacement thought. That may not be easy to do.

Young needed to go. He is a bust no way around that. He was not productive. He was sopose to  be a once in ten year blue chip player. He is just another guy. Even before the knee injury he was really not productive total bust. Set the franchise back with his pick.

Edited by Redskins 2021

7 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Sweat really has been a monster for Chicago.  Chase Young is the same dude he was here.  One thing is for certain, the next guy desperately needs to find a pass rusher.

Exactly, Chase ran his mouth better than he did playing on Sundays. I have nothing but love for Sweat, dude showed up and played. Never was hurt and did his job for the most part. Now saying that I believe he has only 3 to 4 years left in the tank he will be 28 the start of next season. So it was a win win for us and Chicago. We got to offload him for a high draft pick and don't have to pay him and Chicago got a quality starter for the next 3 years. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

20 hours ago, FlyBigBeard said:

Exactly, Chase ran his mouth better than he did playing on Sundays. I have nothing but love for Sweat, dude showed up and played. Never was hurt and did his job for the most part. Now saying that I believe he has only 3 to 4 years left in the tank he will be 28 the start of next season. So it was a win win for us and Chicago. We got to offload him for a high draft pick and don't have to pay him and Chicago got a quality starter for the next 3 years. 

I have a feeling Sweat could last a long time in the league given his game is more length and power vs first step explosiveness and bend

• Thumb up 1

20 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

The Chase trade still remains a no-brainer. Chase can dance during the pre-game walk out ceremonies all he wants, but the fact is, the dude was the #2 overall pick and he's now barely playing 45% of the snaps on defense.  With Sweat I understand more of the argument that he is being productive in Chicago, but I look at that situation as more of a value judgement.  Sweat is now being paid like he is an elite premier pass rusher and while he's been good with the Bears, I don't think he's been nearly as good as the contract he got, but I have nothing against either guy and wish them both well.

My assumption is that Sweat was unhappy and that the Commanders didn't think they'd be able to resign him, period. Sort of like what happened with Cousins. This time, at least they got good compensation instead of letting him walk.

It's a shame, but this team is going to be so different over the next couple years that I'm not invested in any one particular player anymore.

• Like 4

On 12/18/2023 at 2:50 PM, DWinzit said:

You mean the Trey Smith that's been starting for the Chiefs the past 2 years a RG? 🤢

Is he good though?  Legitimate question cuz I dont follow Chiefs OL play like that. I just know Andrew Wylie started there for a long time.  lol

2 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Is he good though?  Legitimate question cuz I dont follow Chiefs OL play like that. I just know Andrew Wylie started there for a long time.  lol

Yes he's very good. Him and Creed Humphrey(another late round pick at C)make up a tremendous interior OL.

5 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Duly noted :806:

He was an UDFA who bounced between 3 or 4 teams before ending out in KC. Seemed to be a decent G, maybe not so much at RT :806:

On 12/18/2023 at 6:17 PM, NoCalMike said:

If Sweat can keep up the consistency at or near the tear he's been on since getting to Chicago, then he's flirting with All-Pro.  Now, will he come back and do this next year and beyond, who knows.  They paid him like he will.

But with already paying Allen and Payne, to sink another top dollar contract was probably unreasonable.  They were never gonna do 4 out of 4, but even 3 out of 4 on the DL getting paid was gonna be tough to manage.

30 minutes ago, justice98 said:

If Sweat can keep up the consistency at or near the tear he's been on since getting to Chicago, then he's flirting with All-Pro.  Now, will he come back and do this next year and beyond, who knows.  They paid him like he will.

But with already paying Allen and Payne, to sink another top dollar contract was probably unreasonable.  They were never gonna do 4 out of 4, but even 3 out of 4 on the DL getting paid was gonna be tough to manage.

That and the D even with Sweat and Young was still really bad. We dropped maybe from like 30th/31st to 32nd.

It's more an indictment on the staff, but still.