Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

I don't see Harris hiring or trading for a head coach before he addresses the GM position. That's not how he's worked with the 76ers. I expect RR to be fired along with several others in management with a new GM being named before a new head coach is. I'd be very surprised if Harris traded for a head coach before naming a new GM unless he's keeping the GM's he has in place.

• Like 1

It'll be interesting how this whole thing plays out. Move one for us will be firing Ron and probably Marty but he's not as high on my list as maybe many of yours. But if we want to get a GM in here ASAP we may want to have a vacant GM spot to have him interviewing for. 

After that what do we do with EB? We probably keep him at OC for the time being because he's on a 2 year deal. Then he interviews elsewhere while we interview for head coach. We will probably interview him too. 

But while this is going on you will have the Tomlin and Bill B stuff going on in these background, not to mention the stuff with the interim coaches. 

So who gets hired first? Will EB leave because he wants more stability (doesn't want to coach on a last year deal)? Will the big guys get traded? Will EB get a head job? And will he take Sam with him? 

3 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

It'll be interesting how this whole thing plays out. Move one for us will be firing Ron and probably Marty but he's not as high on my list as maybe many of yours. But if we want to get a GM in here ASAP we may want to have a vacant GM spot to have him interviewing for. 

After that what do we do with EB? We probably keep him at OC for the time being because he's on a 2 year deal. Then he interviews elsewhere while we interview for head coach. We will probably interview him too. 

But while this is going on you will have the Tomlin and Bill B stuff going on in these background, not to mention the stuff with the interim coaches. 

So who gets hired first? Will EB leave because he wants more stability (doesn't want to coach on a last year deal)? Will the big guys get traded? Will EB get a head job? And will he take Sam with him? 

EB will be fired, along with everyone else.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 12/18/2023 at 4:12 AM, Andre The Giant said:

Ravens Director of Player Personnel. A Baltimore lifer (spent 26 years there) and rose the ranks thru the college scouting department. Would know Shen and we've heard Harris wants to emulate the Ravens model.

Would definitely give comfort to have a guy who's skilled at college scouting be the one to make a potentially top-5 pick this year. And Shen is there to give analytical input to Hortiz's road warrior "eye test" scouting background. A pretty good tag team there

Edited by CapsSkins
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

8 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I'd expect EB to be viewed as an asset during the beginning of the off season transition period. The GM and maybe the HC will want to minimally get intel from EB on the players and other coaches. They could want him to stay with the team next year or see if there any trade interest from other teams in him as HC or OC.  

When the dust settles I don't believe EB or BB for that matter will be in Washington.

I don't see EB wanting to take Howell with him. I could see him having interest in Brissett if he lands someplace that needs a vet QB

You are correct, the next few months will be very interesting as things play out on many levels

The other thing, I know Harris is big on analytics but how is he on chemistry and cohesion and learning and leadership? Those are important things. I don't want to just get a guy who's going to go for it on 4th down or have this great offense but can't talk to people like men. And that goes for EB too. 

As I think about this, I'm wondering how hot this job may really be. I've heard analysts talk about this not being a hit job (on Sheehan show) and it was dismissed as him not knowing about the ownership. But I know kinda disagree. They brought up some stuff like the stadium, practice facilities, workout room, trainers, and a lot of things like that that aren't easy to change with an owner. 

So I could see some of the top names going to some of the other more stable orgs and having us either go with EB or a second tier candidate. 

I think we may have Ashburn syndrome our coaching position 

Edited by Thinking Skins

7 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

Ravens Director of Player Personnel. A Baltimore lifer (spent 26 years there) and rose the ranks thru the college scouting department. Would know Shen and we've heard Harris wants to emulate the Ravens model.

Would definitely give comfort to have a guy who's skilled at college scouting be the one to make a potentially top-5 pick this year. And Shen is there to give analytical input to Hortiz's road warrior "eye test" scouting background. A pretty good tag team there

Albert Breer had this to say last week about Baltimore pairings....

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/12/15/chargers-need-swing-for-fences-after-brandon-staley-firing-news-notes

We’re all learning on the fly about Commanders owner Josh Harris, who was accompanied by one of his limited partners, Mitchell Rales, at this week’s league meetings in Dallas. And one thing I learned down in Texas over the last few days could at least color how the next couple of months go with the new owners and their team—Harris likes how the Commanders’ beltway rivals from Baltimore do business.

It was apparent, too, in his first real football hire.

Seven weeks ago, Washington brought Eugene Shen aboard as its new senior vice president of football strategy, poaching him back from the world of finance, a world to which he’d returned in 2022 after serving as the Jaguars’ vice president of football analytics, and the Dolphins’ director of analytics between ’19 and ’22. For five years before that, Shen cut his NFL teeth helping to run analytics for the always innovative, always forward-thinking Ravens, who have gone so far as to build their own proprietary analytics systems.

That the hire was made before Harris made decisions on the futures of GM Martin Mayhew, top football exec Marty Hurney or coach Ron Rivera is notable for a couple of reasons. First, it’s an indication of how he sees the role—as one that would be there regardless of who the GM or head coach was. Second, it opens the possibility that Shen could have significant input in the next round of hires, whenever they’re made.

Maybe this means Harris tabs a Baltimore exec like Joe Hortiz or Nick Matteo to be his next GM, or a top Raven assistant like Mike Macdonald to be his head coach. Maybe it doesn’t. But at the very least, it brings a little insight into how he’s building and what he’ll be modeling after going forward.

• Like 1

Why are you still thinking so much about EB @Thinking Skins? Regardless of how hot or not our openings are, he’s gonna get washed out with the rest of the refuse, and that’s totally normal. Why would anyone we’re looking at want to hold onto him (this part is a response to a post you made yesterday where you were looking for ways a new hire might keep him, for some reason). 

The tone of your post is almost like you hope our options are limited so EB can get a chance, which makes no sense. He’s not even a second tier candidate himself. 

I have to assume this is a result of all the time you spend going back and forth on twitter. All season, EB has been disproportionately popular with a segment of the twitter fanbase no matter what anyone else observes about his scheme. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 3

Ryan Clark is not a reporter, just close with Tomlin.  If nothing else it would add another coach to the pool of vacancies this year.

https://www.on3.com/pro/news/ryan-clark-calls-for-parting-of-ways-between-pittsburgh-steelers-mike-tomlin/

Turmoil for the Pittsburgh Steelers amid a three-game losing streak has former star Ryan Clark calling for a potential split between the franchise a long-time head coach Mike Tomlin. On ESPN’s Get Up on Friday, Clark discussed why, despite Tomlin’s long streak of winning seasons, it may be time for the coach to leave the team he’s led for 17 seasons.

“I’m going to say this for the first time, Coach Tomlin needs to be in a new place,” Clark said. “Coach Tomlin doesn’t need to retire because he’s one of the greatest coaches in the game today. But he doesn’t need to be there anymore.

“The same way that Andy Reid needed to move on from Philadelphia… Coach Tomlin should now move on from Pittsburgh and everybody should line up to hire him. The man knows how to do it but he shouldn’t do it there anymore.”

“It’s a conversation … Mike Tomlin, the Rooney family have both earned the right to have a conversation. They’ve both earned the right to come together and say, ‘Can this work?’ And if Mike Tomlin feels like, ‘Yes it can work, yes I can change it.’ I believe he’s earned the right to try again. But I do believe that both of them understand football so well, both of them understand relationships so well, that you can come to an agreement that this may no longer be for us.

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Conn said:

Why are you still thinking so much about EB @Thinking Skins? Regardless of how hot or not our openings are, he’s gonna get washed out with the rest of the refuse, and that’s totally normal. Why would anyone we’re looking at want to hold onto him (this part is a response to a post you made yesterday where you were looking for ways a new hire might keep him, for some reason). 

The tone of your post is almost like you hope our options are limited so EB can get a chance, which makes no sense. He’s not even a second tier candidate himself. 

I have to assume this is a result of all the time you spend going back and forth on twitter. All season, EB has been disproportionately popular with a segment of the twitter fanbase no matter what anyone else observes about his scheme. 

I am spending time thinking. Its in my user name 🙂 

Like I said, I don't know if this job will be as hot as some think. One analyst had it ranked 7th out of 10 possible openings. I think we are in a position where we think we are the best in the league because we are here. But others see us and think they would never want to come here. Maybe you would rather have Bill O'Brien after Bill is fired or another coaching retread? 

36 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I am spending time thinking. Its in my user name 🙂 

Like I said, I don't know if this job will be as hot as some think. One analyst had it ranked 7th out of 10 possible openings. I think we are in a position where we think we are the best in the league because we are here. But others see us and think they would never want to come here. Maybe you would rather have Bill O'Brien after Bill is fired or another coaching retread? 

There are enough viable options out there that you don’t need to worry about sinking to Bill O’Brien (or Bieniemy) levels lol. A guy like Ben Johnson being in position to reject offers and wait a year is VERY rare. I could name you a dozen candidates I find more desirable than those misfit toys and that isn’t even getting into the media obsessions about Belichick, Tomlin, Harbaugh, etc.

I’m not really arguing how coveted our spot will be or not. I think once Harris gets in a room with candidates (which for potential GM’s has already started happening) he’ll be able to sell what he’s doing here, the money he’s willing to spend and facilities he’s willing to improve. But you’re right that new stadium, new training facility, etc. all take time. So for some it may be a harder sell. I’m not worried about that though, I think it’s a desirable job. The fit will be more about who jives with Harris’s vision, his GM’s vision, than it will be about the facilities.

But it’s not really why I quoted you. I was concerned about your EB tunnel vision lol, it doesn’t make sense to me. If anything you are doing the “Ashburn Syndrome” thing with EB and overvaluing him just because he’s already here (and overvaluing his alleged potential as a mid-50’s first time playcaller who won’t admit it, imo).

Edited by Conn
  • Like 3

With Snyder gone, we can attract good candidates. Will the absolute best of the best come here? That is TBD. I think the whole "team X is more attractive than team Y" angle is a bit overblown. There are a lot of variables when deciding where to work outside of just normal football stuff(i.e. can I move my family here?).

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

With Snyder gone, we can attract good candidates. Will the absolute best of the best come here? That is TBD. I think the whole "team X is more attractive than team Y" angle is a bit overblown. There are a lot of variables when deciding where to work outside of just normal football stuff(i.e. can I move my family here?).

We have a new owner, about to have a new stadium, new training facilities, best of the best from top to bottom and probably a new name, just to go along with our cap space and draft picks. We're a hot destination going forward. We were one of the very best teams in the league for years. Most respected franchise and that's coming back.

• Thumb up 1

On 12/19/2023 at 4:36 PM, Conn said:

Would be a nice contrast to what we’ve seen here for many years now 

Totally agree.  Here's something I don't know.  Ben Johnson has been promoted up through the ranks in Detroit:

- 2019: Offensive Quality Coach

- 2020 - 2021: TE Coach

- 2021: Passing Game Coordinator

- 2022 - 2023: Offensive Coordinator

He was hired into Matt Patricia's staff.  And they've had a few different offensive coordinators I think since then.

So here's the question for the Lions: have they basically been in the same offense since 2019 through a HC change?  If so, even though the coordinator changed, this is the 6th year in that offense.  

At the very, very least, we can assume the offense is the same from 2021 on, when Ben Johnson was the passing game coordinator.  Also, they've had the same QB since then alsl.

I'm REALLY putting a lot more stake in the fact that offenses in the first season are just going to struggle.  Every offensive guru (Kyle Shanahan, Mike Shanahan, Bill Walsh, Andy Reid, etc.) have all said it takes 3 years to really learn an offense.

I think there probably is something to the routes being run correctly by a group of receivers who are all have been in the same system for 3+ years.  

When we hire a new OC, even if it's Ben Johnson, I am willing to bet you're going to see route combinations looking entirely wrong because of the learning curve.  And people will scream and cry the OC is an idiot because 2 receivers ended up in the same spot, etc.  

It's one of the reasons I'm big on hiring an offensive head coach.  Because that means no matter what, as long as that coach is employed, the offensive system stays the same. Even if they bring in an OC, the OC is running the HC's offense.   

But there are going to be growing pains no matter what.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

24 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

We have a new owner, about to have a new stadium, new training facilities, best of the best from top to bottom and probably a new name, just to go along with our cap space and draft picks. We're a hot destination going forward. We were one of the very best teams in the league for years. Most respected franchise and that's coming back.

its that whole "about" that's scaring me. is it a few days? a few weeks? a few months? I'm thinking a few years. More likely, the new coach doesn't experience those facilities. So what does he gain in it? Its more like we're still that same old francise with a new name. Welll, a new owner and a new name but you get what I'm saying. But the things you mention aren't things that a new coach is going to experience. They aren't going to bring new players. 

Maybe things like that list that went around in 2020 about things that Snyder was doing that could make the Stadium more accessible to players (like the bathrooms more accessible, more changing rooms for the plars wives, I forget all the stuff). I remember hearing that Mrs Snyder turned her nose at the list because the stadium was about to be torn down so why put money into it. Meanwhile they were playing in it. 

But just this year we had water problems, we had lighting problems, Lord knows what else is going on that they're talking about and not telling us. But you're gonna act like this place automatically becomes the cream of the crop just because of the new owner. I admit that he will probably do things to help but that is just the first step. Doing things to help improve traffic is great, but traffic is traffic and it is sill bad. (Not saying thats going to deter candidates though, just saying that these problems are difficult to solve). 

We'll see though. What do we have like 25 days left? 

• Like 1

I know some people are for and some are against Tomlin. There definitely some legs to this with Harris past history with Tomlin and Tomlin being from VA. As I said there are alot of worst coaches to have then Tomlin his teams are always competitive and over 500.

What I don't want to see happen and I expect Tomlin to try is him to get the GM role along with head coach. We need a GM and a head coach two different roles. 

Edited by Redskins 2021
  • Like 1

Albert Breer right now on The Herd said he doesn't see a scenario where Tomlin gets outright released but he sees one where the 2 guys familiar with the Rooney's (ownership involved and know them) Tepper and Harris who could make a call and see what it would take to trade for Tomlin.

Don't shoot the messenger, just adding more swirling coach stuff!  LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thumb up 1

13 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Albert Breer right now on The Herd said he doesn't see a scenario where Tomlin gets outright released but he sees one where the 2 guys familiar with the Rooney's (ownership involved and know them) Tepper and Harris who could make a call and see what it would take to trade for Tomlin.

Don't shoot the messenger, just adding more swirling coach stuff!  LOL

I use this disclaimer too, HigSkin.  Got to. :) I hope Breer is wrong and we stay 1 million miles away from a retread and go with new young analytical blood for GM and HC.  Thanks for the posts as always.  Good stuff!  👍

• Like 3

Adam Peters - San Francisco 49ers assistant general manager:

Could this be the year Adam Peters becomes a general manager? 

Peters has interviewed for numerous jobs and was a finalist for the New York Giants before they hired Joe Schoen in 2022. No one needs to look further than the star-studded roster San Francisco has accumulated on its path to becoming a perennial Super Bowl contender.  

Peters has been with the 49ers since 2017 as the vice president of player personnel and was elevated to assistant general manager in 2021. Before joining San Francisco, Peters was with the Denver Broncos for eight seasons (2009-2016) and moved up the ranks, eventually becoming the team's director of college scouting. 

Peters has also been credited for being high on tight end George Kittle and receiver Deebo Samuel before the 49ers drafted them.  If you're going to mimic a team when building a roster, one can't do much better than the 49ers. Should Harris go that route, Peters should be near the top of his list of GM candidates. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/commanders/news/washington-commanders-general-manager-candidates-adam-peters-ed-dodds-joe-hortiz

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I use this disclaimer too, HigSkin.  Got to. :) I hope Breer is wrong and we stay 1 million miles away from a retread and go with new young analytical blood for GM and HC.  Thanks for the posts as always.  Good stuff!  👍

Don't want a coach that has probably seen his best days and I certainly wouldn't want to give up assets for one. 

• Like 1

EB will be discarded like all the rest of coaching staff.

It’s possible EB may get a courtesy interview to meet the Rooney rule.

If he gets a head coaching gig, it won’t be here.

Even though a new stadium is 4-5 years away; Josh is going to make more upgrades to FedEx this offseason, to correct the problems.  The issues brought up in that player survey will be addressed.

We will have top quality candidates interview for the job.  We won’t have to settle on anyone. We may not get the #1 guy on our list but will have a good hire.

• Like 4