Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

I'm hoping as they consider who to hire as their GM, they quickly decide on who's running their football operations group in charge of scouting and talent acquisition.  There were a lot of poor free agent acquisitions over the last 4 years and drafting hasn't been that great either. The scouting network can't be completely overhauled right away, but I suspect better scouting could be found than relying on Snyder's old 'economy' scouting network holdovers.

Better scouting, leading to more successful picks, would be needed if the franchise wants to rebuild through the draft.

Edited by Wyvern
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Redwards said:

Stokes is a good dude, but I want absolutely no one in this organization to be the GM.  We need an enema as bad as an organization could need one.  Not a partial one, but an entire cleaning.  

Fresh GM from a winning organization.  I'm down with Horitz, Cunningham, or Peters (who is my personal favorite my a country mile).  If the new GM wants to keep Stokes around, that's totally fine.  Hurney adds next to nothing to this organization though and needs to be thrown out along with Ron and Martin, IMHO.  

NEW BLOOD!!!!

No thanks to Tomlin.  His best days are behind him and he hasn't done squat in a decade.  We need fresh blood, not a retread.  Personally, I like Tomlin and respect the heck out of him, but I think he's overrated.  

He’s never had a losing season tho if I’m not mistaken. And the Steelers are cooking the bengals right now .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Commander202 said:

He’s never had a losing season tho if I’m not mistaken. And the Steelers are cooking the bengals right now .

He's a great coach but I absolutely hate the idea of giving up draft picks for him when there are plenty of great candidates who wouldn't carry the same cost.

Trading for a good coach is what undesirable teams like the Snyder-Era Redskins/FT/Commies would do. Good teams get their guy on the open market.

• Thumb up 1

24 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

He's a great coach but I absolutely hate the idea of giving up draft picks for him when there are plenty of great candidates who wouldn't carry the same cost.

Trading for a good coach is what undesirable teams like the Snyder-Era Redskins/FT/Commies would do. Good teams get their guy on the open market.

Steelers plan on giving him an extension; Tomlin talk is mute.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, FuriousD said:

Are we listening to Gruden again? Didn’t he hire Joe Barry, for Chrissakes!?

We know he said no to Wade Phillips but he mentioned on Sheehan’s show this week he attempted to make a run at a certain stud DC (forget who) but didn’t get him. My guess is the top DC names didn’t want to come here during the second half of the Snyder era

9 minutes ago, method man said:

We know he said no to Wade Phillips but he mentioned on Sheehan’s show this week he attempted to make a run at a certain stud DC (forget who) but didn’t get him. My guess is the top DC names didn’t want to come here during the second half of the Snyder era

Vic Fangio

37 minutes ago, FuriousD said:

Are we listening to Gruden again? Didn’t he hire Joe Barry, for Chrissakes!?

I see the Joe Barry mention but to be fair his Ds have been 10th, 12th, and 17th in pts the last 3 yrs at GB and 9th, 17th and 23rd in yds. Not great but better than the 32nd in Detroit and 28th in Wash. 

It's the Dan Snyder effect. Just liek Rivera and every other coach he brought in - they all seem to do thier worst job here. 

Edited by goskins10

8 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I see the Joe Barry mention but to be fair his Ds have been 10th, 12th, and 17th in pts the last 3 yrs at GB and 9th, 17th and 23rd in yds. Not great but better than the 32nd in Detroit and 28th in Wash. 

It's the Dan Snyder effect. Just liek Rivera and every other coach he brought in - they all seem to do thier worst job here. 

My wife's side of the family is all Green Bay Packers lifers... they all want Joe Barry fired tomorrow. 

• Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

I don’t really like the idea of trading picks for a head coach. I do think Steelers let him walk after this season and pick his own team.

12 hours ago, method man said:

I also just assumed that Gruden didn't want to hire someone to run the D who potentially had the resume to replace him or make him more easily fire-able...Wade Phillips, Vic Fangio, etc.

The Bucs with another 30+ point output and Baker with another good game…if the Bucs can upset the Cowboys in the playoffs, Canales starts to become a hot name.

Again, very impressive the job he is doing in TB and he is known as a people person/leader and seen as a future HC

Lot of admiration for the way he has grown in his first year as a playcaller

Edited by method man

I prefer an offensive minded HC for a varierty of reasons but if they go defense MacDonald is intriguing. 

https://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2023/9/21/23880157/mike-macdonald-appears-destined-to-be-a-head-coach-sooner-rather-than-later-marlon-humphrey

The fastest track to becoming a head coach at the NFL level in recent years has been displaying brilliance through offensive innovation and creativity. However, there have been a handful with expertise on the other side of the ball that have been hired to those positions as well.

Since 2020, there have been 17 offensive head coach hires made, nearly twice as many as there have been defensive with nine. The lone special teams representative is Joe Judge in 2020 and he only lasted two seasons with the New York Giants.

The defensive coach who’s most likely to join the shortlist of contrarian hires during the next hiring cycle of the 2024 offseason is none other than Baltimore Ravens’ Mike Macdonald. Despite being in just his second year on the job and only being the spry age of 36 years old, he is already being regarded as one of the brightest minds in the game.

Macdonald spent nearly a decade on the Ravens’ coaching staff under Head Coach John Harbaugh as assistant coaching linebackers and defensive backs from 2014-2020. He then spent a year away from the team, but still serving under another Harbaugh, in his first crack at calling plays and designing a scheme at the University of Michigan in 2021. Under his guidance and tutelage, the Wolverines had one of the best defensive units in the country that year and produced three first-round draft picks.

In his first year back at the NFL level in the elevated role, the Ravens’ defense overcame a rocky start to the 2022 season —where they struggled to hold onto leads — and wound up being one of the top units in the league.

Macdonald was still figuring out what roles certain versatile players should play and he was gifted First-Team All-Pro inside linebacker Roquan Smith in the middle of the season via trade. Once he figured out a niche for 2022 first-round defensive back Kyle Hamilton as a hybrid nickel defender, the second half of his rookie season was sensational.

However, there are two attributes that have made Macdonald such a rising star and gain national media attention, recognition, and praise. He was recently named the Coach of the Week on Monday’s episode of Good Morning Football by NFL Network’s Peter Schrager.

One of them is his ability to devise game plans, which include disguised coverages and creative pressures, to confuse even the brightest quarterbacks into turnovers and errant throws. He also not only gets the best out of his top players but also masks talent discrepancies when backups are forced to step into starting roles, so much so that there’s hardly any noticeable drop-off at all.

Macdonald demonstrated both of these skills in the Ravens’ Week 2 win over their archrival Cincinnati Bengals. For the fourth meeting in a row, including last year’s Wildcard round playoff matchup, Pro Bowl quarterback Joe Burrow and one of the league’s most explosive offenses were held in check.

“Five different starters missing on defense, they go into Cincinnati and Macdonald just had his guys ready to go,” Schrager said. “Injuries everywhere. No problem. The Ravens D found a way.”

Burrow failed to eclipse 222 passing yards, was under constant duress, and was deceived into several throwaways and bad passes. One of his costly mistakes resulted in an interception by backup safety Geno Stone, who is starting in the place of veteran Marcus Williams while he recovers from injury.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Great post, HigSkin.  i read this somewhere else in an article.  I hope he becomes the next young Don Shula of our Washington team. I can't stand the Commander's team name. I hope the next one is much better.  :)