Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

46 minutes ago, Stihl89 said:

Is Howell even worth building around? Based on what we’ve seen so far I’m not. Too risky. 

Lets say we had drafted Howell with a top 10 first round pick. Then after 6 starts he was 7th in the NFL in passing yardage, completing close to 70% of his passes, was showing ability to create outside the scheme and had a 3 and 3 record. All this with hardly a running game behind one of the worst O'Lines in the NFL and a defense giving up 32 points a game. We'd be delighted and thinking he was right on track. Right?

He is taking some sacks that are on him. Apart from that he is doing everything you could possibly ask of a young QB. A lot of football to be played before we have to make decisions but based on how he has played so far I absolutely would be looking to build around him going into next season. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

4 hours ago, Stihl89 said:

Is Howell even worth building around? Based on what we’ve seen so far I’m not. Too risky. 

And is it really less risky to go for an unknown and trade up to get that guy only to find out you lost picks and that QB is not as good as you thought he could be.

At least with Howell you will have 2 years of experience under his belt. How he performed in the Eagles game and that tieing TD showed he is not a rookie but a pro knowing how many seconds were left on the clock. Look at how well Purdy is doing behind that OL. That could be Howell but with a stronger arm to boot. Build the OL around Howell or for your next QB but it has to be done before even thinking about drafting another QB or even wasting money on trading for one. 

• Like 2

On 10/6/2023 at 6:32 AM, Darrell Green Fan said:

I'm in full tank mode now. This draft class may go down as the worst in our history. We traded up for a long snapper who can't snap, Forbes and Martin look like busts on October 5th, no late round finds.. Juist more of the same with this clown show. Thanks Dan for giving RR total control, his parting shot at us I guess.  

Just to be factually correct, the long snapper was in the previous draft.  

And he seems to have worked out his jitters. 

Still, not sure why we're trading up for a long snapper.  But at least let's get the facts right.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Stihl89 said:

Brock is who he is because of Kyle and the immense talent around him. Wait until they have to give him 40 mil and lose most of the roster 

Yeah their window is closing for sure, but it sure is fun to watch.  

17 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Still, not sure why we're trading up for a long snapper.  But at least let's get the facts right.  

I get an embarrassing number of things wrong these days. This didn't happen for 40 years, that's when I cared.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Because the best long snapper had been taken two or three picks before

7 minutes ago, MrJL said:

Because the best long snapper had been taken two or three picks before

Ok, still not sure why we're trading up for a long snapper. 

28 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

7. Washington Commanders (2-3)

Average draft position: 8.6
FPI chance to earn No. 1 pick: 3.2%
FPI chance to earn top-five pick: 31.3%
FPI chance to earn top-10 pick: 69.2%

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38489009/2024-projected-nfl-draft-order-32-first-round-picks-no-1-favorites-teams-top-10

This is going to go one of 2 ways:

If Jack get's the defense to turn around like he has the last 3 years, they're picking 12-16 again.

If Jack doesn't get the defense to turn around, they're likely picking 8-10.  

I think Howell and the offense is going to score enough points to win a total of 6-7 games at this point even with an atrocious defense.  That probably puts them just outside the top 10.  

And I'd be ok with that because it would most likely mean they found a functional QB.

I guess there is another possibility that Howell gets smashed into dust and Brissett plays, and in that case, I think it's more likely they end up with a top 5 pick.  Not that Brissett isn't capable, but I don't think he's capable of putting a team on his back and looking to score 25-30 points a game to win games.  He's more a 17-15 with a strong run game guy.  Unless we can throw the ball, we can't run a damn.  

• Like 1

• zCommander changed the title to 2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Current Pick #12
13 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

May be a Twitter screenshot of 2 people, people playing football, football helmet, stadium and text that says 'DAWGS Peter PeterBurns Burns Brock Bowers is a toddler. You can not leave him alone in public, you need to have 2 people around him at all times and never take your eyes off him.'

I haven't really dove into this draft yet.  But from who I've watched over the years incuding this season, Bowers is by a mile my draft crush.  Harrison, too but he will be gone like top 3-4. 

Among the other things I hate about Rivera's off season is he's boxed the next regime to have to draft O line as opposed to BPA so Bowers isn't likely on the table.  

I do think he'd still be tempting for them.  Howell would feed off of having a killer TE like him.  I'd trade Sweat or Chase to add another high pick but Ron won't do that.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

On 10/9/2023 at 3:21 PM, zCommander said:

And is it really less risky to go for an unknown and trade up to get that guy only to find out you lost picks and that QB is not as good as you thought he could be.

At least with Howell you will have 2 years of experience under his belt. How he performed in the Eagles game and that tieing TD showed he is not a rookie but a pro knowing how many seconds were left on the clock. Look at how well Purdy is doing behind that OL. That could be Howell but with a stronger arm to boot. Build the OL around Howell or for your next QB but it has to be done before even thinking about drafting another QB or even wasting money on trading for one. 

Howell is getting it done in a new offense as a 1st year starter with a leaky offensive line and a defense that never gives him a lead to work with. He has already shown that he can get the ball to multiple receivers in a game, has a great arm and can be clutch when needed. We need to give Howell at least 2 full years as our starting QB. Oh, and he's showing that he's incredibly durable too. I'm with you, lets give him an offensive line and a new defensive coordinator and see what he does with that. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I haven't really dove into this draft yet.  But from who I've watched over the years incuding this season, Bowers is by a mile my draft crush.  Harrison, too but he will be gone like top 3-4. 

Among the other things I hate about Rivera's off season is he's boxed the next regime to have to draft O line as opposed to BPA so Bowers isn't likely on the table.  

I do think he'd still be tempting for them.  Howell would feed off of having a killer TE like him.  I'd trade Sweat or Chase to add another high pick but Ron won't do that.

We could always shop one of our prized d-linemen and see if that nets us a 1st or high 2nd round pick to snag this guy? 

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree with that.  If we are drafting in the low teens there is a shot Bowers is there because of positional value.   Cannot count on it because sometimes team just draft the best player and don't worry about positional value.  We thought Bijon Robinson may be available at 16, he went at 8 and Gibbs went at 12.   But there is at least a chance you can still get a blue chip player like Bowers at 12 or 13 because of positional value.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Yawn...Kyle Pitts part 2.

Never take TEs in round 1. Period.

If I have the fourth pick in the 2021 draft, I am not taking Kyle Pitts.  But if I have mid or late first round pick in the 2021 draft and Kyle Pitts is still on the board, even with hindsight I'd take him if that position was a need.   He had a 1000 yard receiving season as a rookie with a 80 PFF receiving grade that year.   As a round blocker he is meh,  as a rookie he was in the high 30's and last year and this season he is in the mid-50's in terms of PFF grade for run blocking.   

For a wide zone Shanahan style offense he is a great fit because he really fills two roles.  He can play TE.  The Shanahan offense also uses a big WR with good straight line speed as their slot receiver which is different than what spread and traditional offenses used in the slot which use a quick shifty player.   In the Shanahan wide zone offense that slot receiver has to block on the outside zone runs (which is why you want size there) and in terms of routes that receiver usually runs route that require straightline speed, mesh crossers for example.  So in a wide zone Shanahan offense in addition to being a TE, he is also the prototypical slot receiver.

So if I am sitting as high as 12 or 13 in 2021 and I run a Shanahan Wide Zone offense, I am considering Pitts.   His rookie year proved that in the right situation he is worth that pick.

Now for us, at 12 or 13 is Brock Bowers worth it?  That is debatable.  I think he could be, but I understand the argument that even offensive Tackle #4 is a better pick there in a year like the 2024 draft where Tackle is fairly deep.

• Like 2

I don’t really care so much about draft position this year.  We have our QB.  If there’s a blue chip OL available, we take him.  If not, we trade out, get more picks and draft OL and at least 1 if not 2 LBs that can run/blitz.  Load up on OL, draft a LBer that can ball and this ship turns around quickly imo

Just now, Stihl89 said:

Still think this is a wild take

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  Jus curious what you need to see from Sam to move the needle from your perspective.  Let’s keep in mind he hasn’t played an entire season and his game is maturing 

24 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  Jus curious what you need to see from Sam to move the needle from your perspective.  Let’s keep in mind he hasn’t played an entire season and his game is maturing 

Well for me Im a keep swinging until you get an elite guy. I think the Kirk tier of QBs that Sam is looking to maybe ascend to (which even right there is a massive stretch) is the worst possible place to be in this league. For Sam to become an elite guy he needs to be one of the best 2-3 players from the pocket. At the moment he isnt close to that. I think hes been very up and down. He wasnt the problem vs the bears but he also didnt add much to the solution. He missed a lot of big throws that would have kept us in the game.

Just dont see him becoming an elite QB. Let some one else overpay for him 

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Yawn...Kyle Pitts part 2.

Never take TEs in round 1. Period.

This is extremely silly if you actually watch these guys play. Pitts has been a stud from day 1. For some reason he was drafted into an organization that wants to run the ball 70% of the time like Callahan,  that has had horrible QB play. But Pitts produced as much as our WR1 most years as a rookie TE, he was immediately a hit. 

Will Bowers have that sort of instant impact, or take years to hit, or be a huge bust? No way to know, I just can’t stand the Pitts slander lol. People talk about him like he’s OJ Howard or a late bloomer like Njoku or something. 

(I still think it’s fine you don’t like the idea of a TE in the 1st, it is a low-percentage shot to take most years. Purely talking about receiving prospects of the Pitts caliber, who was like Mike Evans at TE, as a prospect. Bowers—remains to be seen.)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Speaking of TEs Michael Mayer has like 3 catches on the season for the Raiders. And 2 of those came in their last game. Have both his legs fallen off or something?

Id look at TE a bit later in the draft - I like another Notre Dame TE who is a Junior in Mitchell Evan’s. Not sure were he will go, I don’t know that he will test all that well so he could fall.  There are 3 stud OTs in the coming draft, we have to find a way to walk away with one of them.

• Like 1