Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

1 minute ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

The tiebreakers with New England and Carolina are still very much up in the air. If we lose out, we could easily pick 4th. We could also move up to 1, but that is a long shot. 

Well another best case scenario is Cardinals end up with the 1st pick. We can easily trade with them for the 1st pick. Don't think it will take much since they will still be in reach to draft Marvin. Maybe a 2nd and 3rd or just a 2nd rounder to move up.

40 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

You make sure he's not Ramseyed.  Look what the Texans did when they drafted Stroud.  They invested heavily in the OL and protection.

You can "fix" the OL quickly with the assets we have.  It won't be the Eagles OL.  But it can be MUCH better than it is now.  

The other thing you need is a coordinator who knows how to spoon feed an offense to a QB.  This doesn't mean running the ball 70% of the time, but it means running more effectively, minimizing known passing situations, and scheming up 10-12 one-read throws per game which can be easy completions.  

The Texans invested heavily in OL for Watson. For Stroud they signed 1 Guard to a big contract. They also drafted a Center on Day 2 but I don't think he's played with Stroud yet?

Most of their big OL moves happened in the years leading up to Stroud.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I have zero interest in having less picks. 

If we are at 3, we have to take Maye or Daniels.

I'm not trading up for a WR either. There are several tall fast WR1s in this draft.

Not sure, I’m still open minded on that. I really think we could trade Allen. Even Payne, the cap hit isn’t as prohibitive as people think.

If, and it’s a real small if, that the Bears stick with Fields, we will end up picking #1, IMO.

I really think if we want a QB we're going to have to move up to get one.  I think we're going to be at #3 - #5 when all is said and done.  

Unless the team REALLY likes Daniels, and maybe they will (he's not my type of QB, but I'm willing to go with whatever works), you would have to go up to get Williams or Maye.

If they're at #3, I'd absolutely ask what it would cost to move up to get Williams at #1.  It would be expensive, but maybe not THAT expensive.  Because the Bears could drop down 2 spots, get Harrison Jr. and pick up another 1st and 2nd?  I think they might be able to make that work. 

I think if the Bears had to drop out of the top 3, it's at least the RGIII trade.  Drop down to 3?  Expensive but not excessively so.  (I could be wrong. We'll see.)

One thing is pretty certain: if you're in the top 5 and need a QB, you've got to get one.  

I just don't think we're going to be top 2 in order to get Williams or Maye. 

This is going to be interesting.  

But golly, we need to lose the next 2 in the worst way to make it a reality  

• Like 2

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

I really think if we want a QB we're going to have to move up to get one.  I think we're going to be at #3 - #5 when all is said and done.  

Unless the team REALLY likes Daniels, and maybe they will (he's not my type of QB, but I'm willing to go with whatever works), you would have to go up to get Williams or Maye.

If they're at #3, I'd absolutely ask what it would cost to move up to get Williams at #1.  It would be expensive, but maybe not THAT expensive.  Because the Bears could drop down 2 spots, get Harrison Jr. and pick up another 1st and 2nd?  I think they might be able to make that work. 

I think if the Bears had to drop out of the top 3, it's at least the RGIII trade.  Drop down to 3?  Expensive but not excessively so.  (I could be wrong. We'll see.)

One thing is pretty certain: if you're in the top 5 and need a QB, you've got to get one.  

Just said about us moving up as well. We ain’t sitting at #3 IMO.

Just now, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

The Texans invested heavily in OL for Watson. For Stroud they signed 1 Guard to a big contract. They also drafted a Center on Day 2 but I don't think he's played with Stroud yet?

Most of their big OL moves happened in the years leading up to Stroud.

They also extended all their guys and spent something like $100m in signing bonuses to make sure they had guys locked up.  

https://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/texans-tytus-howard-contract-18261637.php

18 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If we lose out we are locked into no lower than #4. Pats could/will jump us on SOS in the scenario we pick #4. Otherwise we will be at #3 or higher. 

I think the Jets lose to the Pats in Week 18. So we just need to hope and pray for a cardinals upset of either bird team the next 2 weeks and we can get pretty close to #2. 

Chicago is gonna draft Caleb. But if there’s any chance they don’t, then I’m calling them and offering them their 2nd back to flip 1/2. Maybe throw them a 3rd. And they slide to 2 where they can draft MHJ if that’s the path they choose to go. 

So, bizarre question. If the order ends up being CHI, WAS, NE, ARZ … wonder if the Bears would try to trade us their other pick (8?), their 1st next year, and Justin Fields to get our 2nd. 

Would allow them to go Caleb + MHJ 1-2. We’d pick 8, add a future 1st, and bring in Fields. That’s pretty much Madden territory but would be interesting nonetheless. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

3 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Looks like Brissett could be starting,  hope this doesn't **** our top 4 pick up.

All the praise he got this week for being a good person will quickly evaporate. That dude has spoiler written all over him. He can do more damage to this franchise than any other QB starting a meaningless game. I can totally see him blowing out the Cowboys. Harris needs to a hire a guy to Nancy Kerrigan him at Redskins park. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

35 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

If we lose out we are locked into no lower than #4. Pats could/will jump us on SOS in the scenario we pick #4. Otherwise we will be at #3 or higher. 

I think the Jets lose to the Pats in Week 18. So we just need to hope and pray for a cardinals upset of either bird team the next 2 weeks and we can get pretty close to #2. 

Chicago is gonna draft Caleb. But if there’s any chance they don’t, then I’m calling them and offering them their 2nd back to flip 1/2. Maybe throw them a 3rd. And they slide to 2 where they can draft MHJ if that’s the path they choose to go. 

So, bizarre question. If the order ends up being CHI, WAS, NE, ARZ … wonder if the Bears would try to trade us their other pick (8?), their 1st next year, and Justin Fields to get our 2nd. 

Would allow them to go Caleb + MHJ 1-2. We’d pick 8, add a future 1st, and bring in Fields. That’s pretty much Madden territory but would be interesting nonetheless. 

Caleb will refuse to play to a team that drafts him and he doesn’t want to go to.

• Thumb up 1

34 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Looks like Brissett could be starting,  hope this doesn't **** our top 4 pick up.

Not a chance this weekend against the 9ers.  Next week against the Cowboys, hope not but I don't think so. 

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

They also extended all their guys and spent something like $100m in signing bonuses to make sure they had guys locked up.  

https://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/texans-tytus-howard-contract-18261637.php

Tytus Howard is an interesting case.  They drafted him 23rd overall and he was meh his first three years.  Essentially a low end starter.  In year 4 he took a nice step forward and was solid.  The Texans then gave him that 3 year 56 million extension.  Unfortuantely for the Texans he went back to meh this season.  He is a Andrew Wylie level starter.  However, winning kind of fixes everything, so right now nobody is upset that the extension looks like a bad one.  But if they stay like a 9-8 or 10-7 team and struggle to take the next step, their fanbase will start complaining about that extension if he continues to be a low end starter.

• Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I am so tired of Griffin's injury as seen as the only reason he failed.  He failed because he failed to learn to play the position. I clearly remember a pic in the Post of Griffin standing in a clean pocket with 5 open receivers circled. The caption read:  "Griffin took a sack on this play. I have no idea why".  

It had nothing to do with the injury.  

There's equal blame and multiple reasonings for rg3 failing. But to take rg3 out of my post as the main substance when I said lesser extent rookie rg3. We had kirk as our qb that we failed to secure

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

There is absolutely no way I would do this in any stretch of the imagination for 2 reasons:

1. Fields is entering his 4th year and you have to pay him at the end of this year or next. Also, he's improving, but so far, he's not that good.  

2. You drop out of the place in the draft where you can pick up one of the top tackles.

It's an entirely lose-lose-lose scenario: pay too much for a veteran QB who isn't that good, miss out on the top prospects in the draft.  Oh, ok we have another first next year.

To me that is a big "whoopdy doo."

I'm anti draftnik "draft as many players as possible" view.  Always have been.  The draft, especially the top of the draft, should be used to try and take shots to get blue-chip players on cheap contracts for 4 years.  

38 minutes ago, philibusters said:

Tytus Howard is an interesting case.  They drafted him 23rd overall and he was meh his first three years.  Essentially a low end starter.  In year 4 he took a nice step forward and was solid.  The Texans then gave him that 3 year 56 million extension.  Unfortuantely for the Texans he went back to meh this season.  He is a Andrew Wylie level starter.  However, winning kind of fixes everything, so right now nobody is upset that the extension looks like a bad one.  But if they stay like a 9-8 or 10-7 team and struggle to take the next step, their fanbase will start complaining about that extension if he continues to be a low end starter.

All I'm saying is they tried.  Both for Watson and for Stroud.  

Is it all going to work out?  No.  But they've made it a point of emphasis.  If we did that, we'd have at least 3-4 new starters on the OL and some of them have to be better than the ones we have.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Caleb will refuse to play to a team that drafts him and he doesn’t want to go to.

He went to Gonzaga College HS right here in the District of Columbia.  

Not sure what that really means, but he has ties to the area.  He might want to come home.  I think his girl friend is also a DC native if I heard that correctly somewhere or other.  

• Like 1

Last year I think it could have worked since the Bears were taking a wait and see approach with Fields but this year, I feel like they will move on from him and draft a QB so they won’t even be a trade partner for that top spot.

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

All the praise he got this week for being a good person will quickly evaporate. That dude has spoiler written all over him. He can do more damage to this franchise than any other QB starting a meaningless game. I can totally see him blowing out the Cowboys. Harris needs to a hire a guy to Nancy Kerrigan him at Redskins park. 

nancy-kerrigan-why.gif.576a97e7ab5d535ed837069091a425f5.gif

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, dyst said:

Last year I think it could have worked since the Bears were taking a wait and see approach with Fields but this year, I feel like they will move on from him and draft a QB so they won’t even be a trade partner for that top spot.

I agree. I cant see them skipping QB in back to back years. They are going to be drafting one. As long as we finish at pick 3 we are going to get a new QB. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

He went to Gonzaga College HS right here in the District of Columbia.  

Not sure what that really means, but he has ties to the area.  He might want to come home.  I think his girl friend is also a DC native if I heard that correctly somewhere or other.  

Caleb actually piped in on social media to celebrate Dan's outster.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

It's not totally out of the question that Caleb could pull an Eli to engineer coming to DC. If Magic gets in his ear about turning around the franchise and Williams tells Chicago he doesn't want to go there... that could catalyze a trade-up from 3 to 1. Chicago still has the option of Maye or Daniels if they want to move on from Fields and meanwhile they'd get some extra draft picks, too.

I'm not saying it will happen, but who knows. The Harris ownership group is going to want to make a splash. Imagine Magic Johnson telling Caleb about the team building a new stadium at RFK, a mere 3 miles from Gonzaga where he went to HS. The family connections. Etc etc. Caleb clearly wants to exercise some agency over his deal and where he goes - that could work out in our favor.

• Like 1