Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

55 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Ron would leave with a roster that argtuably isn't better than Jay.  With a team that likewise crashed.  With ex-players taking shots at the "culture" there.

Ron's legacy to me is nice guy working for a douche.  And it was good to have a nice guy in that context.    But aside from that he accomplished nothing IMO.

All true and pretty much sums up Ron's tenure here.

• Thumb up 1

37 minutes ago, philibusters said:

I don't think Love sucks.   I think he will be a mediocre QB for a long time, like in that 17-24 range.   But even when Green Bay was on that losing streak he played okay.  That said, he may be the least accurate starter in the NFL will places a pretty hard ceiling on his potential.

Well he doesn't Bryce Love suck but he is wildly inconsistent and you can't win with a QB like that. Fortunately we got Bad Love last night.  He missed a wide open RB on a swing pass, the easiest throw you can make, on 2nd and 3, then missed by a mile a sideline throw on 3rd down.  Loved it.  

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The irony of that is Howell's next 4 games are big on that front.  As much as i like Howell, I don't think he's untouchable the way some here think so if he struggles IMO it adds the chance of a QB, if he plays well it increases the chances they don't take a QB.

IMO, Howell is in a tough spot if this team has indeed given up.  I mean you look at how hard teams like Giants, Titans and others with similiar records are playing and then you look at this team.  If he somehow shows out, maybe but the teams attitude could also sink him. 

12 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Fortunately we got Bad Love last night.

I wonder if LaFleur was watching him last night and thought that he had to run away. That he had to get away….

That he was…Tainted…

Edited by Riggo#44
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, markmills67 said:

If we finish with the number 2 pick I would stick with Howell and trade the pick to the highest bidder, plenty of teams need a QB more than we do in my opinion. Our Roster is ***** we need more picks buddy. 

I personally think it would be a mistake to not go QB if the value is there and it very well could be with this class. Not prioritize mind you but if the decision were mine and JJ McCarthy is sitting there bottom of the 1st or top of the 2nd I am pulling the trigger. Actually, I will go full back pedal mode and say I would prioritize QB. This is too good a class not to. I probably would have gone Levis last year too. 

Edited by Chump Bailey

8 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

IMO, Howell is in a tough spot if this team has indeed given up.  I mean you look at how hard teams like Giants, Titans and others with similiar records are playing and then you look at this team.  If he somehow shows out, maybe but the teams attitude could also sink him. 

The hope is the D keeps playing like a semi pro team and gives up 40 each game, while Howell shines enough to keep his head above the water.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

I tortured myself and went back and looked at the history at taking a QB top 5.  Let's just say there are a lot more Mariottas than hits.   By a long shot  To trade a guy who has proven he can play in the league, perhaps at a pretty good level, for those odds is a frightening thought. That's why I believe it would be a terrible mistake to trade Sam Howell, it's not like teams are giving up a high pick for him so what are the chances that pick lands a better QB than Howell?

• Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I think for as much as we're talking about potentially replacing Howell, and we're going so far as to bring Jayden Daniels into the conversation, that we should point out just how uncertain a Top 3 QB really is.  I went back 10 years since in theory, you'd like a star QB to give you at least a decade, and stuck to the Top 3 passers since that's what we've been discussing, and the chances of more than three QB's going off before our pick are slim to none.

2013 - EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Mike Glennon...a terrible QB year, I guess Geno Smith is okay now but it took him 8-9 years.

2014 - Bortles, Manziel, Teddy Bridgewater (Derek Carr) So again, three guys you just aren't happy about, especially Bortles.  I included Carr since he went right after Bridgewater but technically isn't one of the first three QB's drafted.

2015 - Winston, Mariota, Garrett Grayson.  Holy crap, I didn't realize it took till Round 3 to get another QB.  Taylor Heinecke is one of the more accomplished passers from 2015.

2016 - Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Paxton Lynch....I suppose Jared Goff is the new Alex Smith, talented enough but never going to be a superstar.  Wentz and Lynch though?

2017 - Trubisky, Mahomes, Deshaun Watson...one journeyman, one star, and I don't know what you want to call Watson?  Talented with poor personal choices?

2018 - Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen....two busts, one star

2019 - Kyler Murray, Daniel Jones, Dwayne Haskins....two busts, I guess Murray is 50/50 now?

2020 - Burrow, Tua, Justin Herbert...I'll go ahead and say all three of these guys are cornerstones

2021 - Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance...Lawrence has shown a lot, Wilson and Lance have been awful.  My God, I remember the Trey Lance love.  Didn't get it then, still don't.

2022 - Kind of an outlier since Kenny Pickett was the only 1st round QB, but he isn't exactly lighting it up in Pittsburgh.  And since this is such a new crop, I'm hesitant to really include them, though Desmond Ridder and Malik Willis would be the next two.

I'm not going to bother with 2023 yet but if Bryce Young keeps it up, the above still tracks, while Stroud is looking good and Anthony Richardson, last years Jayden Daniels, the jury is out on.

Point is, drafting one of the first three QB's is a total ****-show.  Of the 30 "Top 3" QB's from the last 10 drafts, at least half of them are full on busts, and if you include career journeymen like Mike Glennon and Mitch Trubisky...or better than journeymen but never lived up to expectations like Jared Goff or Marcus Mariota, it's more like 90%.  Of the 30 names there, only six are QB's I would consider stars and or have a track ahead of them to be one.  Allen, Mahomes, Burrow, Tua, Herbert, and Lawrence.  That's it.  Six out of 30, or 20%.

Here's my point.  Sam Howell, even with what has been a pedestrian (and that's forgiving) O-line and without a true #1 in the Justin Jefferson, AJ Brown, etc. mold, has shown he can play in this league.  The odds are that between Wiliams, Maye, and Daniels, one of them is going to be a total bust no matter how excited we are about them, and one will have some sort of career that is deflating at best.  At best, unless this is 2020, one of them *might* lead a franchise for a decade, otherwise this might just be another crap QB year.

Screw the QB position, we've got a guy who can play.  If we wind up #2, trade back a little to some team who wants to take their 20% shot and give the man a line and some weapons.

I don't care how good these QB's college tape look, they're more likely to suck than be a star.  OLine and weapons please.

Edited by Forehead
  • Like 6
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

No one is untouchable.

The new Gm/ coach will decide which players are worth retaining.  At qb, they will decide is Sam the qb they want to hitch their ride to or do they feel we need to draft a qb.  If we draft a qb, Sam is likely traded and we will just sign a veteran as backup. Maybe resign Jacoby.  If we go with Sam, we take Harrison Jr if available or OT. Or maybe we trade down a few spots and get more picks.  Think free agency will dictate our draft approach a lot.

We have to keep fingers crossed they make right decision at QB. The wrong decision and in 3-4 years we are starting over again.

That seems like what we’ve been doing for the last 30 years. Thinking we are “close” with Sam seems like a sure way to be there again. He is only a ‘cheap‘ QB for two more years, then what? Nah man I’m done with that. I am ready to take a shot at true greatness with a stud QB. Maybe, just maybe, it’s finally our turn to get lucky with one. And if not, sure, we start over again in a few years, but seems to me like we’re heading down that path anyway. My take is Sam could be very good but not great. Yes, it’s possible to win a title with a QB like that, but it’s highly unlikely. We are miles away from having the type of roster around him that it would take.

Sam’s ceiling… Cousins/Alex Smith—solid but not top tier. QB 10-15, maybe gets inside the top 10 in his prime.

Sam’s floor… Mayfield/Cutler—playmaker, but erratic. QB 20-25, maybe middle of the pack showing in his prime.

If the goal is to be a good team that contends for playoffs most years, then by all means continue to build around Sam. Would certainly be an improvement over what we’ve had. But if the goal is to be a great team, that contends for titles, you take the QB. I’ve always been a guy who says build from the line out, but those days are over. I’ve changed my thinking. QB is everything now, and getting a great one is the only way to go if you are looking to make a 10 year run of greatness.

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Ron would leave with a roster that argtuably isn't better than Jay.  With a team that likewise crashed.  With ex-players taking shots at the "culture" there.

Ron's legacy to me is nice guy working for a douche.  And it was good to have a nice guy in that context.    But aside from that he accomplished nothing IMO.

Why can’t we say they were both terrible and move on with life?

I swear I don’t understand the fixation with trying to rehab Jay’s reputation.  He was terrible.  

Ron had been terrible. 

Both have their finger prints on the miser weapon.  

Ron does have more responsibility because Jay had to deal with both Bruce and Dan and Ron only had Dan. 

Neither was good.  Debating who is better is like debating whether you would prefer to be shot dead from the front or from behind.  Who cares? You’re still shot dead.  

1 hour ago, Forehead said:

I think for as much as we're talking about potentially replacing Howell, and we're going so far as to bring Jayden Daniels into the conversation, that we should point out just how uncertain a Top 3 QB really is.

I just did this in another thread and went back to 1972. 

The failure rate of high first round picks is astonishing.  

EDIT to fix iphone autocorrect which made the post both unintelligible and unintentionally funny.  

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

38 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I tortured myself and went back and looked at the history at taking a QB top 5.  Let's just say there are a lot more Mariottas than hits.   By a long shot  To trade a guy who has proven he can play in the league, perhaps at a pretty good level, for those odds is a frightening thought. That's why I believe it would be a terrible mistake to trade Sam Howell, it's not like teams are giving up a high pick for him so what are the chances that pick lands a better QB than Howell?

In 2019, Arizona picked Kyler Murray #1 overall after already having taken Josh Rosen in 2018 at #10 overall. Once Arizona took Murray in 2019 they then dealt Rosen to Miami for a 2019 2nd round pick and a 2020 5th. At the time, I don't know that anyone thought Rosen sucked as bad as he ended up sucking. I only post this information because this would be a comparable situation to us dealing Howell if we grabbed a QB high in this years draft. I assume Arizona thought Murray was a slam dunk NFL QB prospect to pick him after already having taken Rosen high in the previous draft. What's also interesting is that Arizona took Rosen at #10 in 2018 and then sucked so bad that they ended up with the #1 overall in 2019 so I would think that could also be a POTENTIAL scenario in Washington if we stay with Howell and he ends up not working out. We could always go QB in 2025 if thats the case. So, I guess the new GM will need a very good read on who the QB's will be in 2025 to decide if he wants to go QB in 2024 depending on the options of who's coming out and how good they are. 

Here's what's great about the ripple effect of the Rosen pick; He went on to suck so bad for Miami that they then took a QB with the #5 overall pick in the 2020 draft (Tua Tagavailoa) after trading for him in 2019. So Rosen, a top 10 QB draft pick, ended up being replaced two years in a row by top 5 draft picks due to quickly proving to two franchises that he was not a franchise QB. 

The question then becomes, are Murray and Tua good enough to win Super Bowls given all their franchises went through to find/draft them? 

Given all of this uncertainty, we may be wise to keep Sam and build like hell around him and coach him up. He should improve with experience and more talent around him and if he improves on what we've seen then we should have a good one in him. If teams want to trade up with us for a QB and give us a nice package I'm doing it and taking my chances that another QB will slip so we can take him in the 2nd or 3rd round to give Sam some competition. 

• Thumb up 1

On 12/8/2023 at 12:25 PM, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

This is good work, @JamesMadisonSkins.  Sad that we are already looking at "ways to get the highest draft pick possible" with 5 weeks left in the season, but it is what it is.  But has anyone checked in on @kleese recently?   He's probably holed up somewhere figuring out a scenario where we could win all four games left and still get in the playoffs at 8-9!  :)

Careful what you wish for, JMS, I'm a UNC grad and I've watched every minute of every Howell and Drake game the past 5 years.... and as much as I love Howell, Drake's upside is clearly higher.  I really do NOT want to have to be playing against him twice a year for the next 10 years.

Actually I did just that! Check the playoff thread. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

45 minutes ago, woodpecker said:

That seems like what we’ve been doing for the last 30 years. Thinking we are “close” with Sam seems like a sure way to be there again. He is only a ‘cheap‘ QB for two more years, then what? Nah man I’m done with that. I am ready to take a shot at true greatness with a stud QB. Maybe, just maybe, it’s finally our turn to get lucky with one. And if not, sure, we start over again in a few years, but seems to me like we’re heading down that path anyway. My take is Sam could be very good but not great. Yes, it’s possible to win a title with a QB like that, but it’s highly unlikely. We are miles away from having the type of roster around him that it would take.

Sam’s ceiling… Cousins/Alex Smith—solid but not top tier. QB 10-15, maybe gets inside the top 10 in his prime.

Sam’s floor… Mayfield/Cutler—playmaker, but erratic. QB 20-25, maybe middle of the pack showing in his prime.

If the goal is to be a good team that contends for playoffs most years, then by all means continue to build around Sam. Would certainly be an improvement over what we’ve had. But if the goal is to be a great team, that contends for titles, you take the QB. I’ve always been a guy who says build from the line out, but those days are over. I’ve changed my thinking. QB is everything now, and getting a great one is the only way to go if you are looking to make a 10 year run of greatness.

I dont think we have seen enough of Sam to know what his true ceiling is. I think this year we are finding more about what his floor is.  I mean remember Drew Brees?  He wasnt really lighting the world on fire.  In fact he is very similar that he only started one game in his rookie season then became the starter like Howell.   Brees was starting to turn it around after 3 years of starting but by then people wrote him off as not having the "ceiling" of a Phillips Rivers.  Lucky for San Diego that Rivers worked out.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2580/drew-brees

I am still in the camp that we have any major offer for our pick to accumulate draft capital then we build a young talented team around Howell.  If it is decided that we are moving on and picking a QB instead then we need to draft Howell for draft picks.  Only reason to keep Howell is if we decided to play him in 2024 to increase his trade value but do you REALLY believe that Washington will be able to manage the QB controversy if Howell ends up playing well next year as many of us suspect..

No way we will be able to handle it.  It will be just continuation of a circus that we had in Washington over 3 decades.  We can draft a QB in the later rounds but we cant have both Howell and 1st round QB for next year.

15 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

In 2019, Arizona picked Kyler Murray #1 overall after already having taken Josh Rosen in 2018 at #10 overall. Once Arizona took Murray in 2019 they then dealt Rosen to Miami for a 2019 2nd round pick and a 2020 5th. At the time, I don't know that anyone thought Rosen sucked as bad as he ended up sucking.

There were a lot of people talking about Rosen being a bust.  A lot of unnamed sources really questioning his "want" for the game or motivations.  Also it was cleared that he couldn't take the pressure when the pass rush got to him.  Only thing that Rosen has ever accomplished was sucking so bad that his team was able to acquire a draft pick high enough to draft Murray and Tua.

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

The only success Washington has had was Sammy Baugh. Nearly a century of ineptitude in the draft since at the QB position in the first round since. 

Let me be the first to call the impending pick at QB a complete bust. History is on my side! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Forehead said:

I think for as much as we're talking about potentially replacing Howell, and we're going so far as to bring Jayden Daniels into the conversation, that we should point out just how uncertain a Top 3 QB really is.  I went back 10 years since in theory, you'd like a star QB to give you at least a decade, and stuck to the Top 3 passers since that's what we've been discussing, and the chances of more than three QB's going off before our pick are slim to none.

2013 - EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Mike Glennon...a terrible QB year, I guess Geno Smith is okay now but it took him 8-9 years.

2014 - Bortles, Manziel, Teddy Bridgewater (Derek Carr) So again, three guys you just aren't happy about, especially Bortles.  I included Carr since he went right after Bridgewater but technically isn't one of the first three QB's drafted.

2015 - Winston, Mariota, Garrett Grayson.  Holy crap, I didn't realize it took till Round 3 to get another QB.  Taylor Heinecke is one of the more accomplished passers from 2015.

2016 - Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, Paxton Lynch....I suppose Jared Goff is the new Alex Smith, talented enough but never going to be a superstar.  Wentz and Lynch though?

2017 - Trubisky, Mahomes, Deshaun Watson...one journeyman, one star, and I don't know what you want to call Watson?  Talented with poor personal choices?

2018 - Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen....two busts, one star

2019 - Kyler Murray, Daniel Jones, Dwayne Haskins....two busts, I guess Murray is 50/50 now?

2020 - Burrow, Tua, Justin Herbert...I'll go ahead and say all three of these guys are cornerstones

2021 - Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance...Lawrence has shown a lot, Wilson and Lance have been awful.  My God, I remember the Trey Lance love.  Didn't get it then, still don't.

2022 - Kind of an outlier since Kenny Pickett was the only 1st round QB, but he isn't exactly lighting it up in Pittsburgh.  And since this is such a new crop, I'm hesitant to really include them, though Desmond Ridder and Malik Willis would be the next two.

I'm not going to bother with 2023 yet but if Bryce Young keeps it up, the above still tracks, while Stroud is looking good and Anthony Richardson, last years Jayden Daniels, the jury is out on.

Point is, drafting one of the first three QB's is a total ****-show.  Of the 30 "Top 3" QB's from the last 10 drafts, at least half of them are full on busts, and if you include career journeymen like Mike Glennon and Mitch Trubisky...or better than journeymen but never lived up to expectations like Jared Goff or Marcus Mariota, it's more like 90%.  Of the 30 names there, only six are QB's I would consider stars and or have a track ahead of them to be one.  Allen, Mahomes, Burrow, Tua, Herbert, and Lawrence.  That's it.  Six out of 30, or 20%.

Here's my point.  Sam Howell, even with what has been a pedestrian (and that's forgiving) O-line and without a true #1 in the Justin Jefferson, AJ Brown, etc. mold, has shown he can play in this league.  The odds are that between Wiliams, Maye, and Daniels, one of them is going to be a total bust no matter how excited we are about them, and one will have some sort of career that is deflating at best.  At best, unless this is 2020, one of them *might* lead a franchise for a decade, otherwise this might just be another crap QB year.

Screw the QB position, we've got a guy who can play.  If we wind up #2, trade back a little to some team who wants to take their 20% shot and give the man a line and some weapons.

I don't care how good these QB's college tape look, they're more likely to suck than be a star.  OLine and weapons please.

This is what I was talking about, I didn't bother to put in the work you did.  Taking a QB in the top 5 when they have a QB who is probably going to be better is a tough way to wasted a top pick, especially if they deal the QB they already have.   I don't see wasting a late first should they acquire one on JJ McCarthy because the odds are too long that he will be better than Sam.  

1 hour ago, woodpecker said:

I think you it still applies to the NFL about building a great team and winning an average to good qb. You don't need a great qb. This year has proven what a talented team can do with a good qb or what a great qb can do with less talent. KC is struggling right now on offense due to o line and wide receiver play. Their defense kept in in games all year. If KC has our defense they would have the same record as us. Same thing with 49ers. They have a great team on both sides of ball and Purdy is a good qb. I can see them winning the next few superbowls with this roster. You saw what happened to them once Trent, Debow and McCaffrey got hurt. They lost 3 in a row. So I think the smart move is to build a strong team and keep Howell. You want more proof of a great qb will not guarantee Super Bowls. Drew Brees had some losing seasons and the Bills are treading water right now.

35 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

The only success Washington has had was Sammy Baugh. Nearly a century of ineptitude in the draft since at the QB position in the first round since. 

Let me be the first to call the impending pick at QB a complete bust. History is on my side! 

Heath Shuler would like a word. 

:P

21 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

This is what I was talking about, I didn't bother to put in the work you did.  Taking a QB in the top 5 when they have a QB who is probably going to be better is a tough way to wasted a top pick, especially if they deal the QB they already have.   I don't see wasting a late first should they acquire one on JJ McCarthy because the odds are too long that he will be better than Sam.  

Another aspect of this is to look at the last 20 SB winning QBs:

Super Bowl 37. Brad Johnson (Dexter Jackson), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 38. Tom Brady (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 39. Tom Brady (Deion Branch), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 40. Ben Roethlisberger (Hines Ward), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 41. Peyton Manning (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 42. Eli Manning (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 43: Ben Roethlisberger (Santonio Holmes), 1 TD
Super Bowl 44: Drew Brees (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 45: Aaron Rogers (MVP), 3TDs
Super Bowl 46: Eli Manning (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 47: Joe Flacco (MVP), 3TDs
Super Bowl 48: Russell Wilson (Malcolm Smith), 2TDs
Super Bowl 49: Tom Brady (MVP), 4TDs
Super Bowl 50: Peyton Manning (Von Miller), 0TDs
Super Bowl 51: Tom Brady (MVP), 2TDs
Super Bowl 52: Nick Foles (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 53: Tom Brady (Julian Edelman), 0TDs
Super Bowl 54: Patrick Mahomes (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 55: Tom Brady (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 56: Matthew Stafford (Cooper Kupp), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 57: Patrick Mahomes (MVP), 3 TDs

The Manning brothers and Matthew Stafford are the only men in that list who were picked Top 5, and it took Stafford a lot of heartache (and a legendarily stacked team) before he got there.

It's not just that it's a crapshoot, but that the teams typically picking at the top are usually there for more reasons than just lacking a QB.

This is not to say that the Commanders should absolutely roll with Howell, but it should be a caution to anyone who thinks that just picking a top QB is a magic formula for success. A lot of other things have to go right, and the most consistently successful franchises have been able to find their franchise guys lower in the draft.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Heath Shuler would like a word. 

:P

Our most genius draft happened in the 1940s. In 1946 we drafted Cal Rossi running back from UCLA with the 9th overall pick. He was ineligible to play because he didn’t have enough years in college. A year later we drafted him again with the 4th overall pick. He was eligible but we never talked to him and he decided to become a high school teacher instead of playing football!

So Ron has competition as being the worst drafter in franchise history. But I have no doubt Ron would have made bigger blunders in that era. 

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Forehead said:

Even if we did wind up at number 2 and we decide to stick with Howell, how low are you willing to go in the 1st round, absent some sort of Ditka-New Orleans offer?  Drop any lower than six and the possibility is that Harrison, Bowers, and both of the (at this point) premier tackles are off the board.

I think we get a great trade for a QB.  Think of San Francisco for Lance.  I believe we can get a first for next year and pick up 2 to 3 very good offensive linemen.  (Alt, Lathem, Sims, Fuaga, Morgan, Fautanu, Barton).