Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington vs. Arizona Week One Prediction Thread

Spearfeather

41 minutes ago, samy316 said:

We weren’t that great at stopping the run last year.  We’ve done virtually nothing to improve our LB corp, so I don’t think we’ll be doing to well on that front this year either.  The only thing the Cardinals will do decent on Sunday is run the ball.  That might be the only way they can score any points, aside from our offense turning the ball over and the Cardinals converting that into points

We weren't? Stats say otherwise as we were the 11th best rush defense in the league. Not saying it was a top ten rush defense but it was close. With a healthy dline it's only going to get better. Secondly, James Conner has never broken 1k yards rushing so he isn't that fearful.

In regards to Linebackers, they in my opinion are starting to phase out in a lot of defenses Ala the fullback for offenses. Now don't get me wrong, if you are a 3-4olb you are basically a DE without your hand in the dirt so that's a different story. But a lot of teams are running more DBs ala the 5-1-5. The Buffalo nickel is becoming a big asset in today's NFL

Edited by Tress Is The Way

I am confident in a W Sunday but I am lukewarm on thinking the offense is going to be a high powered scoring machine coming out of the gate.  Defenses are going to do everything they can to focus on testing Howell's abilities because most defenses will have a hard time matching up with all the skill position players so I think the focus will be on trying to pressure Howell, confuse him with coverages etc etc.....I think the offense will flash with some big plays, but I am not sure it will equal a coming out party of points.

24-10 Commanders.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Gotta be the longest stinger in the history of the world. I'll likely get some backlash saying this, but I couldn't care less whether or not CY plays. Kinda over him at this point. 🙄

With or without CY, with the news that we have Scary Terry fully prepared to go, I've got Washington by a tuddy.

Comms 24

Cards 17

Edited by Drfustercluck
  • Like 4

This one will be the culmination of a spring and summer of great vibes and positivity. Washington jumps out early and coasts in the second half. Just because some pretty good Skins teams haven't been able to do it to some pretty bad teams in a long time, I won't predict a shutout. But it'll be close to one. 

The score won't reflect how one-sided the game is - something like 30-6, but feels more like 45-0. 

3 minutes ago, Drfustercluck said:

Gotta be the longest stinger in the history of the world. I'll likely get some backlash saying this, but I couldn't care less whether or not CY plays. Kinda over him at this point. 🙄

Yeah, McLaurin being a full go doesn't surprise me at all.

Young missing the next five, six, seven games, wouldn't surprise me either.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I completely forgot Kaz was on the PS and could be elevated.  

I still think it's Crowder. 

Young is going to play.  They aren't going to announce he's cleared until THE ABSOLUTE LAST POSSIBLE SECOND.  I bet he's the first out of the tunnel carrying the flag.  (I'm not sure if that's a thing anymore, so that might be somewhat a symbolic analogy, but you get my drift.)

Young is also going to have 28 sacks and set the single season sack record in one game.  :P

• Haha 2

This is a good warmup game.

Really mostly about checking boxes and gaining momentum.

Best case scenario is they get to gameplan and rehearse in-game strategy changes, get into a flow on both sides of the ball, then avoid extra week 1 fatigue injuries with increased rotations deeper into the depth chart.  This is a game the Defense has to dominate.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Drfustercluck said:

With or without CY, with the news that we have Scary Terry fully prepared to go, I've got Washington by a tuddy.

Comms 24

Cards 17

If they score 17 on us and we only win by one tuddy then I'd predict us to be 1-16 this season. I don't see them touching the endzone and this should be a complete blowout. 

Don’t have a prediction, but…

What I like about this game:  What should be our easiest matchup of the year coinciding with our first home game in the Harris era in front of a sellout crowd of rejuvenated fans.  Almost a tuneup game for our young qb, new offense, revamped oline, rookies and FAs.

What I dislike about this game:  Almost impossible for the team to exceed expectations - if they win big, they’ll have done what they should.  If the game is close, it’ll feel like a let down.  If they somehow lose (it is the NFL after all), it will feel like the season’s over.  

Conversely, if they win big, I worry about overconfidence.  If it’s close (or a loss), I’m concerned about doubts following them into the next game(s).

On the bright side, I think the culture, including coaches and team leaders, will help them stay medium (lol) regardless of the outcome.

• Like 1

The jolt from the new ownership group, a reinvigorated home crowd, and a shakey opponent *should* help us cover the spread but this team still may play down to their competition, as has been their wont my entire life.

Having said that, it's a new day and I'm gonna be optimistic: 

Us - 24

Them - 14

Predictions...

1) 21 WAS - 13 ARI

2) The stadium and fans will be absolutely rocking...enthusiasm for a new direction on full-display.

3) Defense starts the season slow, as usual. 2nd level of the D is noticeably soft. Good thing the Cards don't have a QB.

4) Offense and passing game looks sharp, if a bit hamstrung by some suspect OL play. Runners have trouble finding daylight. 

5) Ron is visibly confused at least once, bad challenge or timeout...something like that. Or, maybe has his moment during the post-game interview. 

6) Camera pans to Chase on the sidelines a minimum of 8 times.  He's uncharacteristically subdued...knowing his agent is in the background feverishly trying to work a trade while his "stinger heals".

Edited by formerly4skins