Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome New Owner Josh Harris

Dan T.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

The Chip Kelly hire happened while Howie was benched. They put him in an office away from everything and took all of his power away and gave it to Kelly. After the Chip Kelly experience was over, they brought him back out and stopped giving GM control to the coaches and put it all in Howies hands. It was good at first, because he was under Reid who made decent decisions and that's when he climbed the tree. Laurie hired Kelly and and Howie was in control for a year or two, put together one of the youngest rosters and won 10 games, but then they moved him to asst VP or something and he only did contracts. After Kelly got canned, he moved back into the GM role and was given full control.

Kelce talks about it in his famous SB speech.

Right, and my point was even smart organizations make stupid decisions at times, or at least decisions that don’t work out.  

There is a sense here Josh is going to hire this magical GM who’s going to fix everything and we’re going to have great drafts and hire a fantastic coach and everything will be spectacular.

And that might happen.  

Or it might not.  Track record for new owners os spotty. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

There is a sense here Josh is going to hire this magical GM who’s going to fix everything and we’re going to have great drafts and hire a fantastic coach and everything will be spectacular.

Exactly! Same thing with tanking and trading for draft picks. It only moves the hope meter. 

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Right, and my point was even smart organizations make stupid decisions at times, or at least decisions that don’t work out.  

And that might happen.  

Or it might not.  Track record for new owners os spotty. 

I'd agree with you if someone like Bezos bought the team, but Harris is 2-0 with sports franchises. There's a lot more reason to have hope than "new guy own team".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'd agree with you if someone like Bezos bought the team, but Harris is 2-0 with sports franchises. There's a lot more reason to have hope than "new guy own team".

we're due

the football gods know they owe us

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Conn said:

congratulations, that’s what it feels like to root for a normal, healthy sports organization  

I mean, I root for the Nats and Caps. They’re kindof normal.  

I also root for Duke basketball because I was brainwashed as a child. (For 30 years they were about the only team

u rooted for which won anything ever.) My tennis coach, who went to Duke, (looking back on it she was a total smoke show but I was 6 and didn’t realize…) was dating a guy on the basketball team.  This was 1982, so before they were good. And definitely before I knew anything about college basketball.

He would come to the final day of tennis camp with a duffel bag full of Duke stuff. Shirts, hats, key chains, the bag itself, etc.  they were spread all over the court and anything you hit with a ball you got to keep.

I grew up in Duke stuff before I knew what Duke was.  Then they started winning.  

Totally brainwashed but still a fan.  But not a fair weather fan.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dunfer said:

we're due

the football gods know they owe us

Maybe Snyder wasn't making enough human sacrifices to the football gods during his tenure. Or he did them wrong, like that old joke that if you have a rain dance wouldn't you have to have rain dance practice? 

And if it doesn't rain, how do you know you're doing the dance properly in the first place? 🤔

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bird_1972 said:

Is it bad for me to hope that it doesn't happen this year?

I don't think it'll make a difference unless there's a playoff victory, which looks extremely unlikely at this point.

Somehow, this team seems weaker than Ron's first three here, and it's gotten worse as the season has gone along.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The Ron run about to come?  This time I am betting nope

I think he's 0-4 in week's 3 and 4.  Or something like that.  I listed record by week at the beginning of the season, and through 3 years, he was 0-fer in 2 or 3 different weeks.  Not weeks 1 or 2, though.  

It might have been 3 and 5.  I'm pretty sure it was 3. 

I'm not going back to look it up.  

But it's bad.  

I also don't think the run is coming this year.   

I do hope if they lose this week, which honestly, they should, the Eagles are just better, but division games, who knows, I DESPERATELY want them to lose to the Patriots in Foxboro, and then at Seattle.  That will do it for the season for real, and at 3-7 at that point, we can put a sock in the "competing for the last wild card spot" conversation and just move on.

The tricky game will be the Patriots.  They're not really good.  But they are well coached.  And it's up there.  Could be a get-well game for them. 

IF we somehow beat the eagles, then we HAVE to beat the Patriots, or else it's a completely wasted win.

These two games: I want 2 wins or 2 losses.  A split does nothing for me.

• Like 1

We will switch back to mostly zone defense and add a little pressure.

We'll make some OL changes back to the guys who know each other and run the ball more and throw more quick read passes.

We'll go on a mini run, probably starting this week, since we play the eagles tough.

I'm positive we will not be picking top 10.

On 10/26/2023 at 6:23 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

Rebranding over winning is more important to bring the fans back?  To each their own but in my circle its definitely not the case.  According to Keim, that's not how this ownership sees it in priority order by a long shot.  He's specifically talked about their priorities a bunch of times, I presume from conversations with them.  I know Sheehan talked to them.

1.  Winning and getting this organization on the right track.  2.  Improving the fan experience at the stadium.  3.  New stadium. I've heard are their top priorities by a mile.

And everything else including rebranding is a distant 4.  But clearly some fans are into the rebranding.  So I think there is a shot they get to it.  For me, I can care less.  But I know some do.   Sheehan has gone on a wild ride on that point he's gone from caring less about it to becoming all of a sudden obsessed with it this year.

Sorry, was out of pocket for a bit, but absolutely.  The "Commanders" could win a Super Bowl and it won't move the needle much if they haven't first corrected the branding.  For the majority of the fan base, it's the equivalent of the Jaguars or an expansion team winning a championship.  It's a stale, disconnected Dan era remnant placeholder until it's fixed. Even if the on the field product improves. 

Edited by LetThePointsSoar

1 hour ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Sorry, was out of pocket for a bit, but absolutely.  The "Commanders" could win a Super Bowl and it won't move the needle much if they haven't first corrected the branding.  For the majority of the fan base, it's the equivalent of the Jaguars or an expansion team winning a championship.  It's a stale, disconnected Dan era remnant placeholder until it's fixed. Even if the on the field product improves. 

Nah. I get where you’re coming from, I hate the current branding and think it’s a joke, but you’re severely overestimating the number of people who would choose a rebrand over a Super Bowl. The vast majority of fans would choose winning every time even if they hate Commanders. 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Conn said:

Nah. I get where you’re coming from, I hate the current branding and think it’s a joke, but you’re severely overestimating the number of people who would choose a rebrand over a Super Bowl. The vast majority of fans would choose winning every time even if they hate Commanders. 

Yeah, being a transplant, I would shudder every time I would talk to people about the... Commanders... being who I was a fan of as they ran tot he SB. But it would still be a title. 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2023 at 8:49 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

I mean, I root for the Nats and Caps. They’re kindof normal.  

I also root for Duke basketball because I was brainwashed as a child. (For 30 years they were about the only team

u rooted for which won anything ever.) My tennis coach, who went to Duke, (looking back on it she was a total smoke show but I was 6 and didn’t realize…) was dating a guy on the basketball team.  This was 1982, so before they were good. And definitely before I knew anything about college basketball.

He would come to the final day of tennis camp with a duffel bag full of Duke stuff. Shirts, hats, key chains, the bag itself, etc.  they were spread all over the court and anything you hit with a ball you got to keep.

I grew up in Duke stuff before I knew what Duke was.  Then they started winning.  

Totally brainwashed but still a fan.  But not a fair weather fan.  

This is literally the best explanation I have heard for a local guy who didn't go to school there has for rooting for Dook.  

As for this latest news this is great to read.  We have been so far behind the other teams in so many areas, scouting and analytics being the most costly.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Conn said:

Sure that’s true, but it’s not a binary choice. Whatever they do to fix “winning” (which to me is hire a GM and get out of the way) can surely be done in conjunction with the rebrand. With the size and resources of this ownership group, and the amount of employees working for them, I just don’t buy this prioritization notion where they supposedly can’t work on ALL important items right away. It’s just an excuse to put off the rebrand because it’s uncomfortable. But for me, the longer they wait to address it, the more uncomfortable it’s going to be. and the less likely it’s going to be to happen at all. And I”d hate to see that, because I will never embrace the Snyder moniker.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

This is literally the best explanation I have heard for a local guy who didn't go to school there has for rooting for Dook.  

There was so much stuff on the courts, even I as a bad 6 year old tennis player couldn’t avoid hitting stuff.  My closet was almost entirely Duke stuff.  And it was high quality stuff.  I hit the duffel bag one year.  It was the same one the players all got and carried to court.  

I wore a blue devils hat for probably 2 years before I knew there was a university called Duke.  It was just a cool white hat with a smirking blue devil. 

Totally brain washed.  Chuckle.  Shrug.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Conn said:

The beauty of the argument is we'll really never know who is right. 

But we'll agree to disagree - I think there is a massive unspoken majority that feels the way I do.  If the "Commanders" won a Super Bowl, it's watching someone else's team get it, because THAT'S not OUR team. 

But on the flip side.... You fix the rebrand correctly and THEN win a Super Bowl?!?  Holy moly, all bets are off and you will awaken the sleeping giant of this fanbase.