Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Preseason: The Commanders vs. The Ravens - The Commanders Strike Back!!!

zCommander

8 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Lets temper the Howell stuff a little bit. He still has not played against a starting defense in an NFL game. The Dallas game last year was amazing. But the game meant nothing to them. Preseason is preseason. He looks the part. Maybe even looks like a possible legit top 10 starter in the league. But lets see how he looks with a gameplan of defensive starters against him. He is going to have a ton of ups and downs this year yall.

Baby steps. He has to prove he’s a starter this season. I know that to folks getting excited that might sound insane but it’s entirely true. He’s got competition sitting on the bench and consistency isn’t an expected result with young players. Next season he has to prove he can improve against defensive coordinators that have studied his tape for an entire offseason.  If he’s still the guy at that point, he’s probably a franchise player.  

normally I’m a pessimist, but I think he looks like we may have finally picked a winner. Guy can do it all and he’s never really been bad when he’s had an opportunity here. I don’t see “flashes” or “potential” with him, I see a starting QB. Hopefully I’m right.

• Like 5

Just now, clskinsfan said:

I am with you KDawg. But you like me would blitz the **** out of the guy until he proves he can beat it consistently. He did tonight on a couple of plays. Including that beautiful play to end the half to Dotson. But he is going to face immense defensive pressure this year. You can bet on that. 

I’m actually not sure I’d send a ton of heat on him or not. Would depend on my personnel. He thrives when he has to improvise. But as a young QB he also makes mistakes when under duress a bit. 

But he is a guy who has shown in college especially that when pressure comes he has no issues getting to 1,2, run in his progression.

I actually think keeping him in the pocket is a better strategy. Shorter so it’s harder to see over the line. Can’t really improvise.

But if I had very good blitzing personnel… yes. Home boy better be ready for a bevy of blitzing. 

• Like 1