Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

So I haven’t listened to todays podcasts but it seems as though in todays practice, like yesterday’s practice, the commanders didn’t get pushed around and looked like a professional operation. 

I have to admit, even though I’m less down on the team than some, I thought that a real possibility given the intensity the Ravens practice with was the commanders would get pushed around a bit. I’m pleasantly surprised by the fact they weren’t. Now hopefully we don’t have to suffer through 2 weeks of doom and gloom.  

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 2

11 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I agree with the overall sentiment but disagree with the "eggs in one basket". They like to cover needs in FA so they aren't screwed if the draft goes against them.

Which happened here. Without signing Gates or Wylie, we could have been in a real awkward spot during the draft after the run on OT's before our pick. Our OL is in a pickle currently, but it could have easily been a disaster if we fully put all of our eggs into the draft basket.

Which was the point I was trying to make, our OL should not be in a pickle right now. They should have brought in one T real starter quality OL in FA and either Wylie (for G) or Gates at C. We then were reliant on the draft to fill and it didn't happen. Now we are in a pickle as you say...and I agree

Only saw the first hour and some extra bits. Almost saw none of our first OL. Second group looked a bit better today. 

Howell looked really good based on the 7 on 7 and some of the glimpses shown from highlights.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We’re going to come out week one and run the west coast version of the Greatest Show on Turf Rams and stun the whole Goddamn world.  Howell will be MVP, Ron coach of the year for the third time (that’s hard to do, you can Google that) and we’re going to freaking crush everybody on the way to an undefeated season winning no game by less than 24 points.  

:P 

(That might be the third Moscow Mule talking….) 

• Haha 7
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

4 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

But he’s also a winner.  

I’d take an ass who’s a winner over a nice guy loser like Jay and Norv.  

It’s been a while since the Super Bowl win and he’s won 2 Division titles in the last 10 years. 

He’s won a crap more games than anyone coaching us in the same period mind you. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Which was the point I was trying to make, our OL should not be in a pickle right now. They should have brought in one T real starter quality OL in FA and either Wylie (for G) or Gates at C. We then were reliant on the draft to fill and it didn't happen. Now we are in a pickle as you say...and I agree

Those guys went for more than double what we paid Wylie. $16-20m a year vs $8m.

The next largest OT contract after Wylie was Andre Dillard, but he's also got a Guard body and isn't starter quality either. Then we've got the Falcons RT for I think $12m a year who is dynamite in run blocking but might even be worse at pass blocking than Wylie.

All the cheaper guys are either over 30 and declining (Riley Reiff) or coming off a bad year due to bad injuries and was released too late in the off-season for us (Donovan Smith).

At the time I did not fault them and I can't quite fault them now, it seemed like a decent strategy. If the draft shook out differently and we actually got a young RT and shifted Wylie over to LG we would be looking back at this off-season as a master class in addressing need.

It's funny that all it takes is a scenario that unfolded just out of reach for us to have the opposite take with a "how could they be so neglectful?"

It’s hard to say the OL was neglected. It wasn’t, necessarily. But it certainly was not prioritized.

Thats my issue. We signed a couple of bandaids. However, the wound requires stitches.

If we got the stitches like we should have the bandaids would help control the bleeding in conjunction with the stitches.

But we didn’t go to emergency like we should have and went to that shady urgent care 3 minutes down the road but in that really off putting plaza that we’re pretty sure that drug deals go down in.

But hey, they accept cash and low amounts so…

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Just now, KDawg said:

It’s hard to say the OL was neglected. It wasn’t, necessarily. But it certainly was not prioritized.

Thats my issue. We signed a couple of bandaids. However, the wound requires stitches.

It’s not so much just the decisions taken this offseason it’s the overall approach since Ron became HC and effective GM.

Neglected might be a bit hash - but it’s certainly not been prioritised.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

It’s not so much just the decisions taken this offseason it’s the overall approach since Ron became HC and effective GM.

It’s the equivalent of buying the faucet but not having the sink. 

• Haha 5

36 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

We’re going to come out week one and run the west coast version of the Greatest Show on Turf Rams and stun the whole Goddamn world.  Howell will be MVP, Ron coach of the year for the third time (that’s hard to do, you can Google that) and we’re going to freaking crush everybody on the way to an undefeated season winning no game by less than 24 points.  

Lloyd.... Lloyd Christmas, is that you?

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

We are absolutely going to destroy the Cards and we'll all feel exactly like that week one. 

Singapore Slings  :ols:

36 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Exactly.  It's all the decisions. 

It's like being back in school, and lamenting how a quiz derailed your final grade and there was circumstance behind that quiz.

But the reality was its not about failing one quiz because of some circumstance and that alone derailed your grade.  It's about all the stuff leading up to that quiz not going well so that in turn put the pressure on you to score well on that quiz. 

Ron put the heat on himself with a series of bad decisions to where he had a thin margin of error.  So he gets no pass from me for not excelling with his thin margin of error because of some narrative.  The thin margin of error he had was his doing.  He made that bed.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 6

Sidearm Slingin' Sammie

Remember Wentz left handed lol.

I can throw sidearm. I suck but I can do it. I guarantee Mahomes is not the only person in the world that can do it. But you can't do it if you never try. Kids nationwide should be trying to copy Mahomes and I am thrilled to see Sam doing it already.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Those guys went for more than double what we paid Wylie. $16-20m a year vs $8m.

The next largest OT contract after Wylie was Andre Dillard, but he's also got a Guard body and isn't starter quality either. Then we've got the Falcons RT for I think $12m a year who is dynamite in run blocking but might even be worse at pass blocking than Wylie.

All the cheaper guys are either over 30 and declining (Riley Reiff) or coming off a bad year due to bad injuries and was released too late in the off-season for us (Donovan Smith).

At the time I did not fault them and I can't quite fault them now, it seemed like a decent strategy. If the draft shook out differently and we actually got a young RT and shifted Wylie over to LG we would be looking back at this off-season as a master class in addressing need.

It's funny that all it takes is a scenario that unfolded just out of reach for us to have the opposite take with a "how could they be so neglectful?"

They signed Wylie as a T and labeled him the starting RT. If they just signed him as starting G then the inside of our lineup would be set. Then would have needed to concentrate heavily on finding a RT via FA or draft. They wanted to emphasis the OL being improved but failed in the manor they approached it. I think we all agree with that, just how they could have done it better in question and drives me to drink lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

less down on the team than some, 

Less down?  You are predicting 10 wins, that ties their best win total in the last 30 years.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

While i don't predict the big season/playoffs like you do.  I do think some sort of version like this will happen in week 1.  Arizona most beiieve is the worst team in the NFL.  We are at home in front of a real home crowd for a change.   Arizona is a good match up for this team for multiple reasons including not having much of a pass rush.

I was at the opener years ago in Arizona, that was fun and a blow out.  I expect something similar.

13 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

They signed Wylie as a T and labeled him the starting RT. If they just signed him as starting G then the inside of our lineup would be set. Then would have needed to concentrate heavily on finding a RT via FA or draft. They wanted to emphasis the OL being improved but failed in the manor they approached it. I think we all agree with that, just how they could have done it better in question and drives me to drink lol.

They haven't failed yet. Maybe it doesn't look great right now but it's still very early.....give them all a chance to grow together, learn the new offense and mix and match the best pieces. 

• Thumb up 1

21 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

So I asked A.I. to draw a picture of Daniel Snyder and it made this....  the "S" is for loSer

image.png.dce27f5d1bf430383ac3906d8b8f4526.png

Not sure how that works, but ok. S might mean Superman in some peoples eyes. You know that an S on the chest means Superman right.......right?

6 hours ago, Conn said:

But it’s like in the lead-up to a big break-up, when the things you used to tolerate or find quirky (or even endearing!) about your partner become absolutely nails-on-a-chalkboard annoying. The way they breathe. How they pronounce words. Their knuckle cracking. Anything. That’s what this is, with many fans. And it’s hard to come back from.

This perfectly sums up where Rivera is. And because of this, many fans will unfortunately not be able truly enjoy the season. Pity.

Oh, and the biggest warning sign for me is when they stop laughing at my jokes (the really funny ones, not the ones I usually share on here 😂).

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Oh, and the biggest warning sign for me is when they stop laughing at my jokes (the really funny ones, not the ones I usually share on here 😂).

I'm offended that you don't find us worthy of the "A" material

I'd have half a mind to give you a real piece of mine if it hadn't already rotted away. (Zombie Pun!)

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2