Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

5 hours ago, Conn said:

I mean, it’s plausible, especially after finding out more recently that the team was actively selling Wentz to the local media and trying to create belief 

Yeah, Bram said on a podcast with Keim that Ron and coaches last camp tried to sell them that Wentz was playing much better than it looked to them.

I just listened to a new Logan podcast.  On one note he said the Friday practice on offense is an all time worst practice and has seen a lot of practices.  He also said on Sunday they did a much lighter practice, like a walk through.  Then a minute later he starts defending the O line -- references Keim, Standig podcasts indicating they they weren't high on the O line and Logan questions that.

OK so the offense was horrible yet how does that lend to praising the O line?  And like i said Logan has been criticial of the O line at times previously.  It's a weird about face change.

The media is referencing the coaches know that they are being negative on the O line and the coaches want to change that narrative --  that apparently was the same thing that happened last year with the Qb play.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/commanders-ron-rivera-says-he-is-not-overly-concerned-about-carson-wentzs-inaccuracy-in-training-camp/

Carson Wentz is about to enter his first season with the Washington Commanders and all eyes are on the quarterback to see if he can prove himself after mediocre seasons. During training camp, Wentz's accuracy has not been close to perfect, but head coach Ron Rivera says it does not concern him.

When asked about these throwing issues, Rivera admitted to noticing the inaccuracy, but is far from going into panic mode.

"It's a lot better than you give him credit for, just because of the way things happen in practice. There's a lot of little nuances that we see that we look at that we get to review. Yeah, there's some inaccuracy. But it's nothing that we are overly concerned [about]," Rivera said, via ESPN.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

Ron's inability to understand the "less is more" tactic of talking to the media makes me roll my eyes a bit. 

Have never cared about the EB hire, no reason or data points to believe he's special. Looking forward to see these players (who are really easy to root for btw, except for Ron's first two 1st round picks) ball out and audition for the next admin.

1 hour ago, CobraCommander said:

I hope this Davis regression isn't real. IMO that will be Rivera's biggest mark against him outside of the QB position. Dude is supposed to be a character guy with high upside.

Did Davis even progress enough to regress?  Sure he began chipping away at starting to meet reasonable expectations WRT his draft position, but I couldn't be the only one miffed at all the missed tackles I saw last year. If Mike can't tackle he is not an NFL LB in book. 

Add in the immaturity / speeding charge and Barton moving up it wouldn't surprise me to hear someone predict he will be the surprise camp cut. I doubt he gets cut but enough off the field ****ups coupled with others showing better - poof they are gone.

13 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Did Davis even progress enough to regress?  Sure he began chipping away at starting to meet reasonable expectations WRT his draft position, but I couldn't be the only one miffed at all the missed tackles I saw last year. If Mike can't tackle he is not an NFL LB in book. 

Add in the immaturity / speeding charge and Barton moving up it wouldn't surprise me to hear someone predict he will be the surprise camp cut. I doubt he gets cut but enough off the field ****ups coupled with others showing better - poof they are gone.

Davis had 104 tackles last year with about 50 of those in the last five games. He was coming on strong in my opinion. 

He also had knee surgery so I’m curious if he’s still working back from that a bit.

I hope he gets his off the field issues cleaned up. I am one of his bigger fans here and think he has some good football ahead of him.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Just read Standig's article from yesterday. It sounds like:

• Cody Barton is easily the best LB on the team, and will be the guy in the 1 LB "Cinco" 5-1-5 package. He supposedly looks great.
  • Jamin Davis might have regressed, or Khaleke Hudson might have improved, or both. Hudson should steal some of Davis's snaps

We forget players are also people with their own personal issues and baggage. Davis has a court case going on which likely sees him doing jail time. I’d bet he’s at least subconsciously not 100% focused - and at this level if you are just 1% off it will show. 

• Like 11

21 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Yeah, I think he did.

I don't think he was "good" last year, he was unbelievably un-impactful after like the first 3 games, but the year before the guy played like dogwater. Like one of the worst at his position levels of play.

The end result is not amazing, but going from one of the worst LBs in the NFL to generally OK was a monumental jump.

Now he needs to find a way to go from OK to good... but he is not doing himself any favors on that front.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MartinC said:

We forget players are also people with their own personal issues and baggage. Davis has a court case going on which likely sees him doing jail time. I’d bet he’s at least subconsciously not 100% focused - and at this level if you are just 1% off it will show. 

Agreed, it’s probably effecting his job performance. Me personally, that’s why I avoid reckless speeding and jail time. But we all have our unique ways about us 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Most of these guys came out and said they wanted to be coached hard when EB was hired.  It is however a "read the room" situation which is how to coach these guys to the best of their abilities but not everyone is motivated the same way.  Some guys as @Koolblue13 said may not take to getting yelled out when they're trying to learn the new system.

I live in KC now and have been to a Chief's training camp because I'm not going to deny my son the right to cheer Mahomes.

I've never heard much about EB being a hard-ass, but it's also Andy's team here. And its two biggest stars are incredibly intense, incredibly hard workers.

So, I don't know. It could be this team really is not used to work. It could be EB bowing up in order to change the narrative at his next job interview. It could be EB thinking he needs to be the bad cop because Ron isn't. It could be nothing.

My only issue with the EB hire is that this is like Marvin Lewis. He may be here to kill time until job interviews start again.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Referencing back to the podcasts I listened to yesterday about the offensive line.  The point that the coaches and the unit are very aware of the criticism that are leveled at them from those watching practice, mostly the media, and they want to buck up their confidence including by heaping praise at them.

Thinking about that Logan Paulsen podcast from the other day where he did a 180 about the O line.  He was plenty critical before.  All of a sudden the unit has it all cooking right to him in that podcast. 

Logan works for the team, I'd put money Ron and company had a talk with him about the criticism.   Logan in particular is a big influencer because he doesn't just do his own podcasts but appears in just about everyone elses podcast and radio show.

It brings me back to Cooley who said once he left the team that his criticism in his film reviews of players on that roster was not well received in that building.

But if the coaches are going out of their way to praise the unit in part because of media criticism.  How do they not talk to the dude who works for the team about it?  Just a guess because I found that podcast a bit weird from Logan.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love the O line to be good.  But listening to Logan to not only change his tune to an extent but also holistically paint the sunniest brush I've heard about the O line by a mile out of nowhere, feels a bit suspicious to me now.

I hope they don't get to @Koolblue13 next?  😎

Ima late to comment on this, but I think all of this is possible. But Keim was also more positive and I doubt he would just take the word of the team.  He’s not going to push their narrative just to push it.

I listened to both his question/answer pod and also the one with Bram, and his basic point seemed to be “don’t panic” and “better than last year but I don’t know by how much.”

The other thing which could be happening is as camp progresses the OL is getting somewhat better and getting their act together.  

I don’t think we’ll know for sure until we see them in probably 4 or 5 regular season games.  

But I absolutely do not discount the possibility the asked Paulsen to take it down a notch.  I always caveat everything from Paulsen and Bram as “they are employed by the team. So you always have to consider the source.”  Even though I like both of them.  I don’t really think Bram pushes messages, though.  Because he was super critical of Wentz in training camp last year basically from the get go.  He didn’t lay it on overly thick, (he knows where his bread is buttered) but he also said many times he hadn’t seen the type of inaccuracy before.  

• Like 1

Reporter: Ron, how are the players adapting to Eric Bieniemy and his offensive scheme so far?

Ron:  Eric's playbook is very long and complicated. I agreed to give him authority not only over the offense, but also over play calling duties because I did not want to learn all of the plays myself.  It is very difficult to call plays when you don't understand the playbook, and that would have been obvious right up front if I had to call the plays.

Reporter: Ron, what do you think about the conditions a training camp?

Ron: I will always be thankful to and respect Dan Snyder for giving me the chance to coach this team. I learned a ton from him.

Reporter: Ron, how are the defensive backs looking?

Ron: The offensive line is very weak. We really should have addressed that unit at during last Spring's draft.

Reporter:  Ron, is Sam Howell still the #1 QB going into the third week of practice?

Ron:  Sam has been inconsistent. Candidly, I knew that he was not the answer going into the offseason, but I had to name someone as QB1 because no respectable veteran would come here. Also, I don't want to put Jacoby in with the first unit because then you will also see that he's very inconsistent, and is not the answer.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Ima late to comment on this, but I think all of this is possible. But Keim was also more positive and I doubt he would just take the word of the team.  He’s not going to push their narrative just to push it.

I listened to both his question/answer pod and also the one with Bram, and his basic point seemed to be “don’t panic” and “better than last year but I don’t know by how much.”

The other thing which could be happening is as camp progresses the OL is getting somewhat better and getting their act together.  

I don’t think we’ll know for sure until we see them in probably 4 or 5 regular season games.  

But I absolutely do not discount the possibility the asked Paulsen to take it down a notch.  I always caveat everything from Paulsen and Bram as “they are employed by the team. So you always have to consider the source.”  Even though I like both of them.  I don’t really think Bram pushes messages, though.  Because he was super critical of Wentz in training camp last year basically from the get go.  He didn’t lay it on overly thick, (he knows where his bread is buttered) but he also said many times he hadn’t seen the type of inaccuracy before.  

After reading your post I wondered did I miss a Keim podcast?  Because he's not been rosy about the O line in his other podcasts.  He's not over the top negative but certainly not upbeat.  Heck just the other day Paulsen went out of his way to reference the negativity about the unit from the media and specifically referenced Keim and Standig on that front.  

So lol, you forced me to listen to Keim's new podcast a bit early to see if he all of a sudden did a 180.  Typically I listen to them the next morning.   But nope it was the same old same old for him.

Keim who has said this for months, he expects the O line to be better, as to how much better, its hard for him to tell and will that be enough, he's not sure considering they were really bad last year.  He's did a variation of that same point multiple times for months.

Listening to all of his podcasts, I think I just missed one weeks back, Keim comes off on the O line unsure but seems to lean when pushed closer to the cynical side.  He seems more positive about Howell as for leaning positive.   To quote his last comment about it in his podcast "I think the O line is a question."

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

My biggest concern with this EB situation is how is it going to affect the relationship between EB and RR. EB must wonder what the hell was RR doing by saying this to the press. Some things need to be left in house to sort out.

Word is that they didn’t speak to each other at all during recess and EB sent Ron a dirty note during home room. Sounds serious. 

• Haha 4

1. If players came to RR with concerns about EBs behavior during practice, and RR told the players to talk to EB about it, why is the media talking about it?  There was no way to keep that in house?

2. Also, while a coach ideally shouldn't be yelling/swearing at players, these are grown men.  Kinda sad that players decided to go over EBs head to complain.  My high school coaches were ruthless, said things every day that would get someone fired today, and none of us went to anyone to complain, and we were 14 years old.  

3. This will all be forgotten after our first preseason game.

• Like 2