Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

A. O line was atrocious against the first team defense. Comically bad. With pressure on Howell coming everywhere inside and outside.

I know some say well it’s training camp. There is some truth to that. However I’ve seen a lot of training camps over many years and I don’t recall ever a day like that.

The good part about it was they didn’t match up the first team D line versus the O line much. So they got abused but there weren’t a ton of reps of it 

And the 2nd team O line for Brissett looked fine against the backup D line.

B. Howell looked sharp early on but then faded. IMO he was overall so so. My son thought he sucked today as did a fan right next to us. I don’t think it was that bad but his accuracy was good with the short stuff but he struggled at times with 2nd level and 3rd level throws. He favored throwing to the left big time today. 

C. Howell up close looks short. Not that different from Heinicke. He also doesn’t look as thick as he did in the past which might help his speed but makes me worry about injuries if he gets hit 

D.  If I had to pump up one thing about Howell today is his mobility in the pocket. He was slippery and that likely helps if the O line falters this season.

E. They practiced a lot of running plays today. Brian Robinson looked faster than his reputation. Even explosive at times. He was also really cool engaging with the fans. He has a lot of personality. 

F. They ran a lot of delayed routes from the RBs. I gather the RBs will stay back to chip and then try to get open in the flat. 

G. Dyami looked good except for a contested catch that bounced out of his hands which he should have caught. Contested catches has arguably been a weakness for him in the pros. 

H. McGown and Pringle look to have a leg up to make the roster over the undrafted FAs. They got their share of first team reps. 

I. If you take away the concern about the O line, the D line was fun.  They come off with so much confidence and bravado that they expect to blow up the O line from every direction.  And they did.

J. Not a lot of razzle dazzle today in play calling. Pretty basic. Judging by today the RBs will catch a zillion balls. It reminds me of camp during the Kirk years where I mentioned at the time Chris Thompson is going to catch a zillion balls that season. That was clear from how much they threw to him that camp.  That ended up being his breakout season. It came off the same way watching today. 

K. TEs  line up everywhere including outside. Hodges was mostly with the 2nd team. Turner, Thomas, Bates looked good. Catching balls mostly between the numbers on the 2nd level.

L. Secondary was locked in. Especially Percy who was closing fast on plays. Forbes made some plays. Quan was blitzing. Fun to watch. 

M. The TEs physically look so imposing. Really big dudes.  I left feeling good about the TEs.

N. I see what Logan Paulsen means about Wylies size and can he hold up to power rushers. Watching Sweat just lineup alone against Wylie made me scared for him. Sweat on one play just blew right by him and was in Howell’s lap before he can set properly. 

O. Lucas who looked good when I watched him, granted against backups. He looks so imposing size wise next to Wylie.  Makes me think Lucas to RT, Wylie to guard would be the stronger lineup. 

P.  Gates I gather is a character. While he didn’t have the best day it was funny to see him walking the sideline with a half shirt which showed a decent size gut.

Q. Kazmir Allen got some play. He looks like midget out there.  They moved him inside and outside. He was just Ok. Though on one play you can see his wiggle in open field. But also he struggled to get open 

R. I liked what I saw from 89, the undrafted WR UDFA from Stanford. He plays WR but he looks physically like he can play TE if he adds another 10 pounds. He made some plays. He was out there practicing before the rest of the offense today at least to my naked eye.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 16

33 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

J. Not a lot of razzle dazzle today in play calling. Pretty basic. Judging by today the RBs will catch a zillion balls. It reminds me of camp during the Kirk years where I mentioned at the time Chris Thompson is going to catch a zillion balls that season. That was clear from how much they threw to him that camp.  That ended up being his breakout season. It came off the same way watching today. 

They ran a TE reverse pass with Logan Thomas on Thursday that looked pretty cool.

P.  Gates I gather is a character. While he didn’t have the best day it was funny to see him walking the sideline with a half shirt which showed a decent size gut.

At least he had A shirt on today...

R. I liked what I saw from 89, the undrafted WR UDFA from Stanford. He plays WR but he looks physically like he can play TE if he adds another 10 pounds. He made some plays. He was out there practicing before the rest of the offense today at least to my naked eye.

Tremaine was the first one out on the field Thursday.  Roster has him at 212 but he looks bigger than that.

• Like 1

I have not seen anyone else say Gates was having that much difficulty snapping.

That's certainly become something I'll have to keep an eye out for in preseason... and if it continues you gotta get Larsen in there at least.

Its almost impossible for a O to operate w/ that kind of restraint,  and I know Larsen can at least kick some decent snaps back.

On an aside, Ron made a nice speech at the end of practice and to the fans. He seemed giddy.

Watching that and some other interviews both recently and the past, I think Ron might now  truly get that the fan malaise was driven by Dan.

I gather before he was buying to some extent whatever BS sob story Dan was selling him.

But now I think Ron sees it clearly.  tough to miss it now.

Overall camp today made me a little more pessimistic about the season. But it also was just one practice. I usually see 5-6 so this is a smaller sample than usual for me.

But it made me big time optimistic that the fan base is back. That’s my biggest takeaway from today. It was beyond wow. 15 out of 10

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

That's like 5 snaps a game. That's a clear bust for 3rd year of a 2nd rounder. Brutal.

Cosmi will be starting at LG. What happens from there is on him and his ability to stay healthy. Your best ability is your availability and all that!

I think he will be a very good guard - if he can stay on the field.

Our best 5 probably does involve Wylie at one guard spot and Lucas at RT though. But I doubt we start that way.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Cosmi will be starting at LG. What happens from there is on him and his ability to stay healthy. Your best ability is your availability and all that!

Our best 5 probably does involve Wylie at one guard spot and Lucas at RT though. But I doubt we start that way.

I think RG is the plan for now, right?

Just now, MartinC said:

It’s this is or watch major league dog grooming or something on ESPN 2.

Not so much dog grooming but I remember watching Australian rules football at 2am on  ESPN back in the 90’s when they struggled to fill programs g for 24 hours.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think RG is the plan for now, right?

Yep , right guard is where Cosmi is inked in right now.

Not so much dog grooming but I remember watching Australian rules football at 2am on  ESPN back in the 90’s when they struggled to fill programs g for 24 hours.  

There was a spelling contest on ESPN recently. Has it come to this??

I got taken to an Aussies rules game once. Weird sport!! Totally macho, no rules that are immediately apparent yet everyone is running around in tight shorts and cut off tops like it’s part of some ‘alternative lifestyle’ wet dream (not that there is anything wrong with that …)

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Dark Acre said:

Next year's Day 1 starting OL will be drafted next Spring.  Until then, we keep Howell as healthy as can be.

From what I'm hearing we may have the worst o-line in football.  This is all on Ron and will ultimately be his failure.  I as much as I like Doctson and Forbes as players, I just don't see them moving the needle.  We needed big boys bad.  

• Like 1

Y’all who live and die practice to practice must be exhausted by the time the season starts…

Dude, have you ever been in game day thread?

People live and die by each play! 😂😂

But I always have a browser open with that thread loaded. I’d rather watch others go through it and experience it second-hand (indirect). It helps me keep my own sanity.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Any scenario where Wylie winds up at guard is an epic fail and probably contributes to a bad season.

28 minutes ago, Daniel.redskins said:

From what I'm hearing we may have the worst o-line in football.  This is all on Ron and will ultimately be his failure.  I as much as I like Doctson and Forbes as players, I just don't see them moving the needle.  We needed big boys bad.  

On paper, I'm less optimistic about this OL than I was about the OL we opened the season with last year.  I dont see talent upgrades at any position.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, justice98 said:

On paper, I'm less optimistic about this OL than I was about the OL we opened the season with last year.  I dont see talent upgrades at any position.

I think Turner and Norwell couldn’t play at all. 

We’ll see.  It’s possible it’s a train wreck.  But I don’t think they’ll go into the season with a train wreck of an OL without trying to upgrade.  So we’ll know if they think it’s a mess if they start bringing guys in. 

24 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Any scenario where Wylie winds up at guard is an epic fail and probably contributes to a bad season.

People were disappointed when they moved scherff from T to G after he was taken 6th overall, but he locked down that position (when healthy), and the domino effect was Moses improved, and in turn Cousins improved. 

I'm not thrilled with the offseason OL approach either. I had 1 guy on my free agent wish list : LG Isaac seumalo, who signed with pitt for a friendly 3 yr 21 mil. Even less than Wylie, and it makes me want to vomit every time I think about it.

But that's water under the bridge at this point.  You put the best lineup out there, regardless of draft position or salary etc.  Then hopefully they have a better approach to improve the OL next offseason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Overall camp today made me a little more pessimistic about the season. But it also was just one practice. I usually see 5-6 so this is a smaller sample than usual for me.

Thanks for posting your observations. I always enjoy reading them. I'll be more interested once the pads come on. I think that's when you get a better sense of the team.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, justice98 said:

it is amazing how bad people say Wylie is, when on a Chiefs team that had been in three of the last four Super Bowls with two wins, they always found a place for him

• Like 6