Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Albright is suggesting an insider consensus on players that does not exist at any point in the player evaluation process pre and post draft.  The players do change the minds of team decision makers all of the time, especially pre-draft.  Teams place a lot of value on meeting these dudes in person and that always happens late in the process.  Tons of players in every class also go at wildly unpredictable slots because of weird stuff that happens pre draft or within the draft itself.

Teams are also working on their boards the entire time.  That process of wrangling over tiering and slotting is probably not that different from what laymen outsiders are doing, they are just basing their decisions off more information.

• Like 5

Albright is doing the same thing he accuses everyone else of doing. 

Draft media is so odd.

Stick to film Study and reporting what you hear and leave the opinionated **** out of it unless it’s your prospect eval.

Most stories, from now until the draft, are going to be click bait.  Just wild speculation to keep everyone interested.  The NFL loves it.  But most of it is silly.  Ten teams wind up picking the same players.  There's a mock where the Commanders trade up to the first round using #36 plus 2 other picks just to get a CB.  Not an OT!  The team that acquired the #36 pick then selects Chop Robinson.  That's the danger of trading up with that #36 pick. Someone will fall to 36 even if it's not our most coveted position.  Maybe Ladd McConkey....not a bad consolation prize.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DWinzit said:

You went deep with  the 10 and 40's in this post. Deeper dive than I've ever given those times. I am a bit surprised the 10's were not quicker. I get that this is much more relevant for the pass rushers but I'd have expected better, especially from certain of the OT's that seem lighter on their feet. It feels like a must for us to hit on an OT in this draft and we need to draft one by the 3rd round....And honestly, I'd be disappointed if we didn't address the OL by the end of the 2nd. Yup, there are a ton of players with dings in their game, we need one with very few dings.

Wondering where you have Puni? He is someone that has not had much press with all the other OL talent.

My first thoughts on that list and rankings are:

1. Paul goes by 50 
  2. Suamataia getting a lot recent love. I have Amegadjie and he about equal.
  3. How can Beebe move out of the 3rd....will he even reach the 3rd
  4. We would be in a pretty sweet spot at 40 if that was the way the draft played out

Give the T they like the best and a WR in the 2nd then Beebe and Sinnott in the 3rd

Then dip into the defenders

Another thing that may hurt Beebe is that many of the tackle prospects in the 2nd and 3rd seem to be bigger athletic types. If I were a GM, my thinking would be to see whether they work out at tackle and, if they don’t, I may view them as having the floor of a guard

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, method man said:

Another thing that may hurt Beebe is that many of the tackle prospects in the 2nd and 3rd seem to be bigger athletic types. If I were a GM, my thinking would be to see whether they work out at tackle and, if they don’t, I may view them as having the floor of a guard

Pass on the guy who played guard for a subpar tackle. 

2 hours ago, PlayAction said:

Most stories, from now until the draft, are going to be click bait.  Just wild speculation to keep everyone interested.  The NFL loves it.  But most of it is silly.  Ten teams wind up picking the same players.  There's a mock where the Commanders trade up to the first round using #36 plus 2 other picks just to get a CB.  Not an OT!  The team that acquired the #36 pick then selects Chop Robinson.  That's the danger of trading up with that #36 pick. Someone will fall to 36 even if it's not our most coveted position.  Maybe Ladd McConkey....not a bad consolation prize.  

Someone on Reddit had Commanders taking Daniels at 2 and then trading back up into the first…for Brian Thomas Jr. ****ing absurd.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Albright is suggesting an insider consensus on players that does not exist at any point in the player evaluation process pre and post draft.  The players do change the minds of team decision makers all of the time, especially pre-draft.  Teams place a lot of value on meeting these dudes in person and that always happens late in the process.  Tons of players in every class also go at wildly unpredictable slots because of weird stuff that happens pre draft or within the draft itself.

Teams are also working on their boards the entire time.  That process of wrangling over tiering and slotting is probably not that different from what laymen outsiders are doing, they are just basing their decisions off more information.

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

Albright is doing the same thing he accuses everyone else of doing. 

Draft media is so odd.

Stick to film Study and reporting what you hear and leave the opinionated **** out of it unless it’s your prospect eval.

I think I actually agree with you guys, except that I took what Allbright said differently I guess—I took him to mean that prospects’ values do change, but “rising” and “falling” in mock drafts this time of year is mostly reflecting what draft media are hearing from teams and scouts, which then trickles down to an updated perceived consensus that fans (and mock drafters, and mock draft tools, etc.) reference.
It happens every day here, where someone posts “I loved the idea of getting this developmental OT in the 3rd but I’m now consistently seeing him go at the end of the 1st or beginning of the 2nd”. I think the point is that it trickles down from the NFL to the media to the twitter draftniks to the fans, basically. 

I don’t think the point being made is that most guys have static, locked in value in all these months leading up to the draft. Just that most major perception shifts are trickling down from the league with people “catching up” to the new perceived consensus. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 2

People should not devalue that these draft guru are fans of teams too. The Giants want Harrison JR to fall to them so they need McCarthy to go 4.  I believe the Chargers either go trenches or trade back under Harbaugh. Daniel Jerimiah calls Chargers preseason, Kiper was born and raised Baltimore, and so on.

47 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

Someone on Reddit had Commanders taking Daniels at 2 and then trading back up into the first…for Brian Thomas Jr. ****ing absurd.

Well considering Daniels kinda needs stud WRs who get wide open to throw to, it would make sense to double down on the LSU connection.

4 minutes ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

People should not devalue that these draft guru are fans of teams too. The Giants want Harrison JR to fall to them so they need McCarthy to go 4.  I believe the Chargers either go trenches or trade back under Harbaugh. Daniel Jerimiah calls Chargers preseason, Kiper was born and raised Baltimore, and so on.

The McCarthy hype absolutely has to be a massive psy op campaign by the Giants to get someone to take him top 5 so they can take Nabors. I don't see any other reasonable explanation for such a "meh" prospect to garner this much attention.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Well considering Daniels kinda needs stud WRs who get wide open to throw to, it would make sense to double down on the LSU connection.

The McCarthy hype absolutely has to be a massive psy op campaign by the Giants to get someone to take him top 5 so they can take Nabors. I don't see any other reasonable explanation for such a "meh" prospect to garner this much attention.

so much hype for McCarthy to be in the top ten has pushed Nix an Penix way back up

• Thumb up 1

21 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

We need 2 starting tackles 

I'm starting to get a bit anxious about this - though this is certainly the OL class to pull such a feat. This is going to be one of the most exciting drafts in history for us I think. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Pass on the guy who played guard for a subpar tackle. 

In 2021, Adam Peters's 49ers took Aaron Banks, the guy who played guard and earned consensus All American honors, at #48. Know who went next? "Subpar tackle" prospect Sam Cosmi. Who do you think the 9ers would've taken in a do over between the two?

57 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

We need 2 starting tackles 

I think everyone has to prepare themselves for Wylie being a starter at RT for another season or at least a portion of it. I like the upside of a lot of the guys in the 2nd and 3rd round but most of these guys should probably sit a year.

22 minutes ago, method man said:

In 2021, Adam Peters's 49ers took Aaron Banks, the guy who played guard and earned consensus All American honors, at #48. Know who went next? "Subpar tackle" prospect Sam Cosmi. Who do you think the 9ers would've taken in a do over between the two?

I think everyone has to prepare themselves for Wylie being a starter at RT for another season or at least a portion of it. I like the upside of a lot of the guys in the 2nd and 3rd round but most of these guys should probably sit a year.

Aaron Banks does not equate to whatever Cooper Beebe will be. They are separate people.

2 hours ago, method man said:

Peters didn't make the final call in San Fran. He was highly involved in their scouting and evaluation, but ultimately the decision-makers were Lynch and/or Shanahan.

We have no idea if Peters even ranked Banks that high or not.

5 hours ago, Warhead36 said:
5 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I wouldn't be mad at that if we could then trade our two top 3rd round picks to get back in the 2nd round and still get OT Paul. Then our 1st 3 picks being QB Daniels, WR Thomas Jr. And OT Paul. I think we could get by with that OLine for 1 season and hope to upgrade next off-season. Give us a big WR that we need that our QB already knows well. 

16 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't know. JJ has gotten a lot of buzz from many reputable sources. Albright has said for probably two months that the NFL is way higher on JJ than the media and the he is very likely to go top 10. Now over the last couple of weeks it seems the media has caught up to that.

As for the Giants. Why would they not try to land a QB? They have a horrible QB situation with an often injured subpar QB. Their offense is probably the worst in the league together with the Panthers and Denver. Their starting O is Daniel Jones, Devin Singletary, Jalin Hyatt, Darius Slayton and Wan'Dale Robinson. If they value the top 4 QBs, why would they not try and get one of them when they are sitting at #6 and can promise the Cardinals and Chargers to still get either MHJ or Nabers?

They are the only team picking in the top-6 that has a QB problem and no clear path to solve it. Who knows when you are in a position to get a QB again. If you can trade up for a reasonable price, they'd be stupid not to entertain that thought.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, HoggLife said:

I wouldn't be mad at that if we could then trade our two top 3rd round picks to get back in the 2nd round and still get OT Paul. Then our 1st 3 picks being QB Daniels, WR Thomas Jr. And OT Paul. I think we could get by with that OLine for 1 season and hope to upgrade next off-season. Give us a big WR that we need that our QB already knows well. 

Would rather take Blake Fisher at the top of the 3rd round.

• Thumb up 1

Just now, mhd24 said:

Would rather take Blake Fisher at the top of the 3rd round.

If he's there I'll be a bit surprised. I once thought Blake was being overrated 4 or 5 months ago, but now have done a complete 180. I now think Blake is going to be a great value pick for someone. I do think I would opt for Blake over Morgan. Kiran & Suamataia perhaps even Paul. I see strength issues with several of these guys. Blake is not getting the attention I think he deserves - just repeating what I said several weeks ago. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Panninho said:

I don't know. JJ has gotten a lot of buzz from many reputable sources. Albright has said for probably two months that the NFL is way higher on JJ than the media and the he is very likely to go top 10. Now over the last couple of weeks it seems the media has caught up to that.

As for the Giants. Why would they not try to land a QB? They have a horrible QB situation with an often injured subpar QB. Their offense is probably the worst in the league together with the Panthers and Denver. Their starting O is Daniel Jones, Devin Singletary, Jalin Hyatt, Darius Slayton and Wan'Dale Robinson. If they value the top 4 QBs, why would they not try and get one of them when they are sitting at #6 and can promise the Cardinals and Chargers to still get either MHJ or Nabers?

They are the only team picking in the top-6 that has a QB problem and no clear path to solve it. Who knows when you are in a position to get a QB again. If you can trade up for a reasonable price, they'd be stupid not to entertain that thought.

JJ McCarthy is good.

Anyone suggesting otherwise just doesn't want to talk about it because it goes against their wishes.

I like JJ. If we were #4 I'd be excited as ****. We aren't. And I very much doubt we take him at 2. 

But he's a heck of a prospect.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 2

18 minutes ago, KDawg said:

JJ McCarthy is good.

Anyone suggesting otherwise just doesn't want to talk about it because it goes against their wishes.

I like JJ. If we were #4 I'd be excited as ****. We aren't. And I very much doubt we take him at 2. 

But he's a heck of a prospect.

So, I don't feel qualified enough to make any certain evaluations on players; but, every single time I watched McCarthy play and he was asked to actually do something, he usually did it really well. Also, looked to me like he could move. I thought he looked slight, but he does also look like he could get heavier whereas, I have my doubts about Daniels having the frame to support more mass. In the end, I don't know what's going on lol

12 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

It’s only a matter of time before the whole draft process gets challenged by player power. We’ve pretty much seen the combine picked apart this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1