Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

19 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

The last thing we need is for the choice of draft picks or free agents to be influenced by a desire to reinvigorate the fan base.  That approach smacks of the prior ownership group. 

The fans are mostly dumb and don't know what they want.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb up 1

Is there access to all-22 tape of players that is fairly simple for the public to bring up and look at? Just asking cuz I'm seeing a lot of posts of "I just watched player X" and it sounds like they are not looking at just highlights. Looking for Endzone views, not TV copy. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by Bantu

My prediction of a very rudimentary top 16 mock draft:

1. Chicago-Caleb Williams

2. Washington-Drake Maye

3. New England-Jayden Daniels

4. Arizona-Marvin Harrison jr.

5. Minnesota(from LA Chargers)-JJ McCarthy

6. NY Giants-Malik Nabers

7. Tennessee-Joe Alt

8. Atlanta-Dallas Turner

9. Chicago-Rome Odunze

10. NY Jets-Taliese Fuaga

11. LA Chargers(from Minnesota)-Brock Bowers

12. Denver-Jared Verse

13. Las Vegas-Quinyon Mitchell

14. New Orleans-Ola Fashanu

15. Indianapolis-Nate Wiggins

16. Seattle-Jackson Powers-Johnson

I feel like I have a pretty good feel for the top 10 and I think its a lock the Vikings trade up for a QB(question being who). After that I'm not so sure, but Bowers to the Chargers just feels like a perfect fit and I got Denver thru Indy just taking high quality prospects at premium positions. Seattle has been linked to JPJ for quite some time from what I've heard and have a huge need for IOL.

22 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Everything being equal I'd like to keep those picks in the 2nd and third. 

It feels like BPA will meet need very well at CB, LT.  And maybe edge, WR, RT.

The realistic targets I'm hoping for the most at 36 are Morgan, McKinstry, Darius Robinson, and McConkey.  It feels like they're going to start going in the late 20s though, and could very well be off the board by 36.

I'm much less sold on Tampa and Rakestraw.  Tampa is a zone corner and dodgy scheme fit and Rakestraw isn't as good as I was expecting from a potential first round corner.  He has horrible ball skills and is slow for a press man corner.  I don't know what his NFL fit will be if he can't turn the ball over from zone and isn't fast enough to stay in press man on the outside in the NFL.

If the four preferred names I mentioned are off the board by 36, then I want to trade down and hunt value in the middle of the second.  A team moving up for Michael Penix could be a trade partner.

Let's say we do something like trade 36 to the Browns for their second and third rounders. After that, I would like something like this draft:

2 - Drake Maye

40 (from CHI) - T'Vondre Sweat

54 (from CLE) -  Cooper Beebe

67 - Bralen Trice

78 (from SEA) - Kiran Amegadjie/Blake Fisher/Patrick Paul

85 (from CLE) - Jeremiah Trotter Jr

100 (from SF) - Jamari Thrash

139 - Christian Jones

152 (from SEA) - Tyrone Tracy

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

The realistic targets I'm hoping for the most at 36 are Morgan, McKinstry, Darius Robinson, and McConkey.  It feels like they're going to start going in the late 20s though, and could very well be off the board by 36.

I'm much less sold on Tampa and Rakestraw.  Tampa is a zone corner and dodgy scheme fit and Rakestraw isn't as good as I was expecting from a potential first round corner.  He has horrible ball skills and is slow for a press man corner.  I don't know what his NFL fit will be if he can't turn the ball over from zone and isn't fast enough to stay in press man on the outside in the NFL.

If the four preferred names I mentioned are off the board by 36, then I want to trade down and hunt value in the middle of the second.  A team moving up for Michael Penix could be a trade partner.

Let's say we do something like trade 36 to the Browns for their second and third rounders. After that, I would like something like this draft:

2 - Drake Maye

40 (from CHI) - T'Vondre Sweat

54 (from CLE) -  Cooper Beebe

67 - Bralen Trice

78 (from SEA) - Kiran Amegadjie/Blake Fisher/Patrick Paul

85 (from CLE) - Jeremiah Trotter Jr

100 (from SF) - Jamari Thrash

139 - Christian Jones

152 (from SEA) - Tyrone Tracy

1st:  Drake Maye, NC, QB

2nd:  Jordan Morgan, Arizona, OT

2nd:  Edgerrin Cooper, Texas A&M

3rd:  Ricky Pearsall, Florida, WR

3rd:  Audric Estime, Notre Dame, RB

3rd:  Roger Rosengarten, Washington OT

5th:  Tip Reiman, Illinois, TE

5th:  Jaylin Simpson, Auburn, CB

7th:  Sam Hartman, Notre Dame, QB

Jim Nagy

@JimNagy_SB

PRO-DAY UPDATE: Only fitting that national champs

@UMichFootball

, with record 18 Combine invitees, have biggest NFL turnout for pro-day.

Here's list of NFL attendees who'll be in Ann Arbor today, including former UM & current Chargers coaches Jim Harbaugh, Jesse Minter, & Ben Herbert.

HC (7)- Bears, Cowboys, Chargers, Dolphins, Patriots, Steelers, Commanders

GM (9)- Bears, Broncos, Cowboys, Dolphins, Patriots, Giants, Steelers, 49ers, Commanders

OC- Bears, Dolphins, Patriots, Jets, Steelers, Seahawks, Commanders

DC- Chargers, Dolphins, Steelers

QB- Bears, Raiders, Giants, Patriots

WR- Bears,

TE- Bengals, Chargers, Giants, Jets,

OL- Ravens, Bills, Broncos, Jags, Raiders, Jets, Seahawks

DL-Vikings, Saints

LB- Seahawks

DB- Bengals

Posted over on the FA thread in the discussion of CBs, but here's my dream scenario right now:

2. Drake Maye, QB UNC

36. Jordan Morgan, LT Arizona

40. Ja'Tavion Sanders, TE Texas

67. Tez Walker, WR UNC

78. Roger Rosengarten, RT Washington

100. Jaylon Ford, LB Texas

139. Elijah Jones, CB BC

152. Zak Zinter, G Michigan

222. Jalen Green, DE JMU

That #40 pick IMO is worth trading back off to grab another 3rd. Sanders may be gone, but I like the idea of getting a TE in the 2-3 range. So if we traded back with 40 we could make something similar happen and move up a defensive player into R3 with the extra pick. 

I think we'll trade back to add additional picks. In this scenario, I got #57 and #89 for #40 ... then I traded #89 #152 to CAR for #101, #141, #142

2. Drake Maye, QB UNC

36. Jordan Morgan, LT Arizona

57. Ja'Tavion Sanders, TE Texas

67. Tez Walker, WR UNC

78. Roger Rosengarten, RT Washington

100. Braden Fiske, DT FSU

101. Jaylon Ford, LB Texas

139. Cam Hart, CB Notre Dame

141. Jonah Ellis, DE Utah

142. Zak Zinter, G Michigan

Essentially turned #40 (2nd) and #152 (5th) into #57 (2nd), #101 (4th), #141 (5th), #142 (5th)

THAT would be the dream draft, and you even get an extra upside stud in Fiske, at a position we don't necessarily need, while filling every other need. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

21 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

That #40 pick IMO is worth trading back off to grab another 3rd. Sanders may be gone, but I like the idea of getting a TE in the 2-3 range. So if we traded back with 40 we could make something similar happen and move up a defensive player into R3 with the extra pick. 

I think we'll trade back to add additional picks. In this scenario, I got #57 and #89 for #40 ... then I traded #89 #152 to CAR for #101, #141, #142

I’d look for trade scenarios with SF

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I’d look for trade scenarios with SF

#40 for #63+#94 is exactly even on the old trade chart. That's a bit of a jump back though, and others might be offering more. 

#100 for #124, #132, #176 would be a way to turn our final 3rd into multiple picks too.

5 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

#40 for #63+#94 is exactly even on the old trade chart. That's a bit of a jump back though, and others might be offering more. 

I’ve looked at us offering either #36 or #40 to jump to #31 for Morgan, for example.

You could actually offer #36 and #40 for #31 plus all kinds of combinations back from SF.

Edit - DET another good option, given they like to move about, and we have their ex-guy in as Ast GM now.

Edited by Est.1974

4 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I’ve looked at us offering either #36 or #40 to jump to #31 for Morgan, for example.

You could actually offer #36 and #40 for #31 plus all kinds of combinations back from SF.

#36 + #40 for #31, #63, #94

1040 points for 1000 points

Using Rich Hill (better chart, IMO) it's actually dead even

315 to SF, 313 to WAS

Would leave us picking:

1: 2, 31

2: 63

3: 67, 78, 94, 100

Go from 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3 to 1, 1, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3

Honestly, not sure I love that given we'd go quite a while on Day 2 without a pick, but we'd also have the ammunition to move back up if we needed to.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

#36 + #40 for #31, #63, #94

1040 points for 1000 points

Using Rich Hill (better chart, IMO) it's actually dead even

315 to SF, 313 to WAS

Would leave us picking:

1: 2, 31

2: 63

3: 67, 78, 94, 100

Yep I was on that one before. It’s that drop to 63 you have be comfortable with.

9 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Edit - DET another good option, given they like to move about, and we have their ex-guy in as Ast GM now.

Multiple pick swaps seems unusual (ie a 3 for 3), but:

#29, #61, #73 from DET = 353

#36, #40, #100 from WAS = 350

Would leave us with 1, 1, 2, 3, 3, 3

#2, #29

#67, #73, #78

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Multiple pick swaps seems unusual (ie a 3 for 3), but:

#29, #61, #73 from DET = 353

#36, #40, #100 from WAS = 350

A team will likely want a slight premium for dropping out of the first and giving up that 5th year option card…

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

A team will likely want a slight premium for dropping out of the first and giving up that 5th year option card…

#36 + #78 = 225

#40 + #78 = 208

#29 = 202

#31 = 190

So I guess it could depend, if we choose to try to move into that range, whether we offer #36 or #40. My assumption is a team would prefer #36 for obvious reasons. It would be an overpay for #29 to offer #36 + #78, but especially so for #31. 

#36 + #100 = 201 ... would be a fair offer for #31 ... might not get it done for #29

• Like 1

Last one ...

#40 (149) = #61 + #73 (151) from DET

#40 + #152 (160) = #63 + #94 + #124 + #132 (161) from SF

I would happily turn a 2nd and 5th into a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 4th if that offer were on the table. 

As the team trading up, I think you could offer above the value, but I have noticed in most of our mid-round trades the past few years, we've been on the losing end of the trade value. Is that a problem of our FO, or is that an NFL standard? Not entirely sure. BUT, I could see us making that 2nd deal with SF without the 5th rounder thrown in, which would be an overpay on their part of 12 points (149 to 161, equivalent to a mid-5th)

• Like 1

I really like the options that SF trade would set up:

2. Maye, QB UNC

36. Morgan, LT Arizona

63. Sanders, TE Texas

67. Braswell, DE Bama

78. Rosengarten, OT Washington

100. Burton, WR Bama

124. Hart, CB Notre Dame

132. Rice, WR USC

139. Zinter, G Michigan

or

2. Maye, QB UNC

36. Morgan, LT Arizona

63. Legette, WR SC

67. Wilson, LB NC State

78. Rosengarten, RT Washington

94. Puni, G Kansas

100. Stover, TE Ohio State

124. Jackson, CB Oregon

132. Johnson, DE Ole Miss

139. Jones, CB BC

Done with mocking in the non-mock thread now. But I really like having all these 3rd/4th rounders in a deep draft.

Lime KoolAid was my back in the day favorite. Don't know if they even make it anymore.

I use to drink it by the pitcher...

Screenshot_20240322_211218_eBay.thumb.jpg.2daf274e4ce6002f35daba62ec5da933.jpg

And today, as a reminder, I have type II diabetes and all the complications that provides. Thoughts like that help me stay awake night after night.

Anyways here's a vid of Kool-aid breaking 4.5 on a bad wheel...

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 2

On 3/21/2024 at 10:02 AM, Going Commando said:

@Skinsinparadise I've been meaning to recommend going back and watching Kingsley Suamataia again after I did it myself.  I think he might be the most raw of the top OT prospects from a football IQ and pass set footwork perspective, but there is something there to work with for sure.  His set technique looked like a disaster TBH.  Almost no NFL style pass pro setting in some of his games, no syncing of hands and feet, he looks really slow to react when he needs to mirror counters, and he's always about a step behind reading blitz.  His football IQ just isn't there yet, and he needs a lot of technical development.

But his play strength is ridiculous.  There is so much natural power in his core and his hands that he can completely stone rushers without even squaring up to them.  He has these huge, super heavy hands with really long arms and wingspan that give him a huge margin for error on his footwork.  And he is actually really good with his hands too.  Excellent hand fighter who demolishes power rushers that try and long arm him and play through him.  His anchor is unique too--he can anchor without dropping his hips.  He can just kind of grab guys and stop them cold on pure arm and upper body strength.

He's one of the strongest tackles I think I've ever seen at the college level.  He's pretty fast too, and looks like he can eventually be a quality run blocker.

Normally I don't like to target players that are as far away as Kingsley is, but after seeing the Eagles develop Jordan Mailata, it's hard not to think about that kind of potential with Kingsley.  The game is a lot less stressful when you have freakish natural strength.  The OL coach who teaches this dude how to read the game, set, and move his feet is going to earn their money, as the payoff from that kind of project could be huge.  I want to take some big swings in this draft, and I like the risk/reward calculus on Kingsley in the second round.

But I would also probably follow that bet up with a bet on a cleaner prospect like Dominic Puni later in the draft.

This OT class is amazingly packed with talent. So many of them have a question to their potential, many just need to land with the right situation...scheme, coaching and fit with other OL talent around them. While I still would love a Fashanu and Fuaga or Latham draft, reality is need to hit on one starter. I am really hoping we draft 2 OT's even if one ends out moving inside due to arm length or what have you but can kick outside in the future if needed. 

Now that we have conquered the beginning of FA, I am more hyped to see what we do at OT and weapons in the draft than I am QB. I am intrigued to see all the finalized pre-draft OL grades 

• Like 1