Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

31 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Matt Miller

99.png&h=110&w=110

Jayden Daniels, LSU (No. 😎

Comp: Lamar Jackson

The Heisman Trophy winner was the most improved player in college football in 2023. He entered the season with a Day 3 grade from NFL scouts but put together a 50-touchdown campaign (40 passing, 10 rushing) with just four interceptions. Daniels is not only the draft's best deep-ball thrower -- he had a 99.6 QBR targeting vertical routes -- he's also the most dangerous runner among the quarterbacks. The 6-foot-3, 210-pounder had 3,812 passing yards and 1,134 rushing yards this season. With a strong pre-draft process, QB2 status is not out of the question.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/39163371/2024-nfl-draft-board-prospects-first-round-grades-comps

The Heisman Trophy winner was the most improved player in college football in 2023

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, KDawg said:

Absolutely part of Purdy’s success is where he landed. It’s 100% part of the soup. He does exactly what Shanahan requires his QBs to do. More so than even Lance characteristics wise. 

I’m not sure Purdy can replicate his success elsewhere. But that doesn’t necessarily make him a “system QB” (all QBs are system QBs, by the way. Very few could do literally everything… Lamar Jackson running the Colts Peyton Manning offense would be a disaster. Likewise, Peyton running a Lamar style offense would be a disaster).

Purdy just landed in the perfect spot to showcase what he’s good at. I don’t think he was under drafted, persay. His skill set doesn’t carry to some of the NFL systems.

This is part of the reason when people say, “gee whiz, 32 teams passed on player A multiple times! There’s a reason for it!” I get annoyed. 

The reason is skill set/draft board and PERCEIVED value. I’m betting SF thought they could get him in a later round (maybe not the 7th) but they were worried about it so they went with Lance. 

I disagree. I think it could be something truly great.

From a comedy standpoint.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I liked Dotson but I definitely preferred Hamilton at the time.  Hamilton has been a stud

We obviously don't value safety anymore....I think after Sean we tried to find similar players and got burned (Ha Ha Clinton Dix / Landon Collins).

We obviously passed on Kyle Hamilton who I wanted us to draft but it wasn't a huge deal.  I was shocked we passed on Derwin James when we got Daron...but that has worked out.  I really thought we had Brian Branch this year but it looks like Martin is going to be a player.

Mayhew and Rivera should be ashamed of the way they put together the OLine.....outside of that, linebacker is pretty weak too, but overall we HAD a really good roster coming into the season.

13 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

My hope is Daniels's stock improves so much he gets drafted #2 and we can steal Maye at #3.

With Maye expect some similar issues to Howell. He’s taller, so less batted balls. And he’s faster, so more dangerous in the open field as a runner. 

They both scan the field for longer than they should waiting for something to come open (which results in some awesome plays and some sacks). They both have very strong arms. They’re both tough and have experience with bad lines.

Howell is more accurate in the intermediate range.

• Like 1

Draft Daniels, and then make Online your priority for the rest of the draft and FA.

Trust that our defense can improve some with a different scheme (no where to go but up).

Find a young offensive minded coach and a GM who is gonna think long term and make decisions accordingly.

It seems simple, but simple and stable can build you a winner if you aren't a reactionary moron of an owner.

42 minutes ago, KDawg said:

With Maye expect some similar issues to Howell. He’s taller, so less batted balls. And he’s faster, so more dangerous in the open field as a runner. 

They both scan the field for longer than they should waiting for something to come open (which results in some awesome plays and some sacks). They both have very strong arms. They’re both tough and have experience with bad lines.

Howell is more accurate in the intermediate range.

Well, if Sam was taller and was faster, he’d

have an elite ceiling. Given Sam’s focus in year 1, Drake is going to have to spend a ton of time cleaning up his footwork.  

With Maye from what I saw.

He's a very different QB from the pocket versus escaping the pocket.

From the pocket it looks like he is decisive, scans the field and process what he sees quickly -- works at an NFL level speed as to his release-decisiveness, etc.

Out of structure, while he can move, his footwork comes off clunky and in that context he holds on to the ball too long and he's not the most accurate in that context even though he showcased some highlight plays.

Like Sam he can move in the pocket but also feels like a sack waiting to happen when things breakdown.

I think his 2nd level and third level accuracy in between the numbers is special.  And IMO better than Sam.  Sam IMO is better at throwing out routes.  They both will have picks because they are willing to take chances and sometimes their decision making isn't hot.

Drake IMO doesn't hit out routes well regardless of the level -- 1st, 2nd, 3rd.  Love him in between the numbers and on that front he reminds me of early Kirk.

His mobility is really good.  The dude can run.  On that front i compare him to Daniel Jones.  That's who he reminds me of as a runner. 

He's not the easiest guy to project if you are going purely on the games.  Because the dude isn't like for example Joe Burrow where you are watching pinpoint accuracy and pocket presence.   But at the same time, he looks like a poster child of a franchise QB -- the size, the arm, the mobility -- and if you can coach him up, especially getting his footwork more consistent in particular when off platform. -- he has a high ceiling.

Apples to apples with Jayden Daniels as a thrower IMO

first level -- advantage Daniels

2nd level -- advantage Maye

3rd level -- Slight edge to Daniels.  Daniels gets lauded more for it but Maye has the stronger arm and wasn't throwing to studs. 

In between the numbers -- Maye

Out routes -- Daniels.  But don't love either on that front 

Tight windows -- Maye

Arm strength -- Maye

Release -- tie

Mobility -- Daniels

Off platform -- Maye.  But both have work to do on that front

Mobility in the pocket -- Daniels

I can see the argument for either one.  Daniels insane mobility makes me lean in his direction but he's the harder guy of the two for me to project as a passer.  But I'd be happy with rolling the dice on either.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Thumb up 2

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

With Maye from what I saw.

He's a very different QB from the pocket versus escaping the pocket.

From the pocket it looks like he is decisive, scans the field and process what he sees quickly -- works at an NFL level speed as to his release-decisiveness, etc.

Out of structure, while he can move, his footwork comes off clunky and in that context he holds on to the ball too long and he's not the most accurate in that context even though he showcased some highlight plays.

Like Sam he can move in the pocket but also feels like a sack waiting to happen when things breakdown.

I think his 2nd level and third level accuracy in between the numbers is special.  And IMO better than Sam.  Sam IMO is better at throwing outroutes.  They both will have picks because they are willing to take chances and sometimes their decision making isn't hot.

Drake IMO doesn't think out routes well regardless of the level -- 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

His mobility is really good.  The dude can run.  On that front i compare him to Daniel Jones.  That's who he reminds me of as a runner. 

He's not the easiest guy to project if you are going purely on the games.  Because the dude isn't like for example Joe Burrow where you are watching pinpoint accuracy and pocket presence.   But at the same time, he looks like a poster child of a franchise QB -- the size, the arm, the mobility -- and if you can coach him up, especially getting his footwork more consistent in particular when off platform. -- he has a high ceiling.

Apples to apples with Jayden Daniels as a thrower IMO

first level -- advantage Daniels

2nd level -- advantage Maye

3rd level -- Slight edge to Daniels.  Daniels gets lauded more for it but Maye has the stronger arm and wasn't throwing to studs. 

In between the numbers -- Maye

Out routes -- Daniels.  But don't love either on that front 

Tight windows -- Maye

Arm strength -- Maye

Release -- tie

Mobility -- Daniels

Off platform -- Maye.  But both have work to do on that front

Mobility in the pocket -- Daniels

I can see the argument for either one.  Daniels insane mobility makes me lean in his direction but he's the harder guy of the two for me to project as a passer.  But I'd be happy with rolling the dice on either.

I would pass on Maye.....I would much rather take Nix in Round 2 or Rattler in Round 3.  Jayden Daniels is electric and as crazy as it seems, coming out of college he's a more dynamic Lamar Jackson to me.  He's so elusive and extremely fast and he has a smooth delivery when throwing.  I would go Jayden Daniels all day.  I honestly think he is going to be our guy.  He's also not a one year wonder, he was doing the same thing last year as well.

I would draft Daniels and sign Trent Brown and Mekhi Becton in free agency.  Then the possibilities are endless for the remainder of the draft. 

14 minutes ago, KDawg said:

More than we should pay.

Do you see Williams, Maye, and Daniels as being relatively close as far as value and talent? I'm asking honestly, because I haven't been deep diving into them much so far, just casually watched some games throughout the season this year.

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Do you see Williams, Maye, and Daniels as being relatively close as far as value and talent? I'm asking honestly, because I haven't been deep diving into them much so far, just casually watched some games throughout the season this year.

I think they all have tremendous upside. Williams probably has the highest.

I think he’s also got the lowest floor. He has real “could completely bust potential” on top of his real “could be phenomenal” potential.

Maye probably won’t outright bust. He has a fairly high floor and a decently high ceiling. 

Daniels is a wild card. Who knows. I think he could break physically long before we find out his potential… but I think he has a pretty high ceiling, too. 

I don’t love any of them as long term prospects at the top of the draft. But as QB prospects it’s a decent draft.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another difficult ranking endeavor. Some can play either 5 Tech or 3 Tech or Jumbo Edge. We'll see how things shake out and if my eyes check out during the Senior Bowl and Combine. A lot seem underrated to me. I see Day 2 grades instead of Day 3 for many of these guys but maybe my eyes just aren't that good.

Also, need to keep tabs on Edge/OLB Patrick Payton Florida State & James Madison's Jalen Green injured unsure of status

Top 20 5-Tech / 3-4 DE's

1.Ruke Orhorho Clemson

2.Kris Jenkins Michigan

3.Shemar Turner Texas A&M

4.Justin Eboigbe Alabama

5.Braden Fiske Florida State

6.Alfred Collins Texas *Underrated

7.Darius Robinson Missouri

8.Mekhi Wingo LSU

9.Elijah Chatman SMU

10.Marcus Harris Auburn

11.DeWayne Carter Duke *Underrated

12.Leonard Payne Jr. Colorado *Underrated

13.Keith Randolph Jr. Illinois

14.Trajan Jeffcoat Arkansas *Underrated

15.Jowon Briggs Cincinnati *Underrated

16.Jamree Kromah James Madison *Underrated

17.Jordan Kelley Oklahoma

18.Davin Vann NC State

19.James Washington Jr. Wisconsin

20.Michael Mason Coastal Carolina *Taylor Upshaw Arizona

Edited by Chump Bailey
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Dexter said:

I would pass on Maye.....I would much rather take Nix in Round 2 or Rattler in Round 3.  Jayden Daniels is electric and as crazy as it seems, coming out of college he's a more dynamic Lamar Jackson to me.  He's so elusive and extremely fast and he has a smooth delivery when throwing.  I would go Jayden Daniels all day.  I honestly think he is going to be our guy.  He's also not a one year wonder, he was doing the same thing last year as well.

I would draft Daniels and sign Trent Brown and Mekhi Becton in free agency.  Then the possibilities are endless for the remainder of the draft. 

no-thanks-no-thank-you.gif

• Haha 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, RWJ said:

If we do take the Raven's model and let's say hire Hortiz as GM you can cool well believe he either drafts Daniels or Williams.  I don't see him going the Maye way.  

Because of mobilty?  If so Maye has some wheels, too.  He's not Daniels level as a runner but he's a good runner.  

Daniels 40 should be interesting.  He strikes me fast but not sub 4.4 level fast.  He's a great runner though because of his combination of speed-elusivness-vision.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Because of mobilty?  If so Maye has some wheels, too.  He's not Daniels level as a runner but he's a good runner.  

Daniels 40 should be interesting.  He strikes me fast but not sub 4.4 level fast.  He's a great runner though because of his combination of speed-elusivness-vision.

Yes, Maye does have speed and mobility but I don't think it will be close but let the Combine and their Pro Days show the numbers.  :)  

Edited by RWJ

I love what I see from Daniels running ability in highlights, but it would be mandatory that he develops a Lamar or Mahomie level ability to finish runs by minimizing damage and not by going until someone brings him down.

If he gets that down he can probably be a top 3-4 QB in rushing yards easy.

If we go that direction I would love to bring an MLB slide coach too, even if just to illustrates the organization's mindset to the player.

I wouldn't even be upset w/ the Jason Campbell Slip n' Slide. Whatever you gotta do.

Griff's sliding form was so bad could not reliably mechanically slide at full speed w/o hurting himself so he instead slowed down and fell backwards or forego'd sliding all together. I never want to see that be a problem again. 100% avoidable.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

I'm actually starting to change my mind on Caleb Williams.   If he's available at the time we pick,  I'd say pull the trigger.   His quick release and arm strength are pretty awesome....it'll definitely translate well in the NFL.  My only concern is his potential character/off field issues.  I also wish he was taller than 6'1.   Man, it's really a tough decision if your a GM of our franchise.  

It's too late for me... I've already developed a man-crush on Jayden Daniels. After seeing what Lamar did last night, I want that on our team. Staying healthy is a must but it can be coached into them.

If we don't draft him or someone picks him ahead of us I will be major sad-boy and cry forever.

43 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Griff's sliding form was so bad could not reliably mechanically slide at full speed w/o hurting himself so he instead slowed down and fell backwards or forego'd sliding all together. I never want to see that be a problem again. 100% avoidable.

This is the only video I found. I remember seeing other slides that were even uglier than this one.