Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Early read on Alt vs. Fashanu vs. Fuaga (1 game each)

Alt is the steady eddy of the group. Big, strong, powerful. Can do it all. Least explosive of them, but the “safest”

Fashanu is explosive but refined. Doesn’t miss much. Gets good movement. Looks real fluid with his movement. 

Fuaga is the trickiest. He’s the best run blocker because of that mean streak. He moves really well, too. Maybe the best of all of them. But for someone who moves so well he has really mediocre feet in pass protection and finds himself in bad positions more often than I’d like.

I think right now I lean Fashanu, Alt, Fuaga. In that order. Though I’d buy an argue for any of them in any order so… give me any of them please. Hell, give me one of the LTs and then come back up for Fuaga. :ols:

@KDawg Do you think, with good non Travelle Wharton coaching, Fuaga could become a LT in say year 3 or 4 after he cleans his technique up?

• Like 1

If we draft a RT I'm fine with sticking him there instead of moving him around and risking him dropping off. Nowadays edge rushers move around so you need quality at both left and right. I mean look at the Eagles, they drafted Lane Johnson super high and he's been an absolute stud at RT for a decade now.

Keep our best players at their best positions.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 2

20 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

If we draft a RT I'm fine with sticking him there instead of moving him around and risking him dropping off. Nowadays edge rushers move around so you need quality at both left and right. I mean look at the Eagles, they drafted Lane Johnson super high and he's been an absolute stud at RT for a decade now.

Keep our best players at their best positions.

I hear you. It’s just very hard finding a left tackle these days outside of drafting one in the top 13. Much easier to find a quality RT. That being said, if it is Fuaga or an Anton Harrison level LT (where I think he will ultimately end up), I am taking Fuaga 10/10

11 hours ago, KDawg said:

I think right now I lean Fashanu, Alt, Fuaga. In that order. Though I’d buy an argue for any of them in any order so… give me any of them please. Hell, give me one of the LTs and then come back up for Fuaga. :ols:

Imagine Fashanu and grabbing Fuaga.

Dang that's a lot of F U's!

And a lot of protection for Howell for a decade. 

They could also look to Penix and Fuaga

Edited by DWinzit

4 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Imagine Fashanu and grabbing Fuaga.

Dang that's a lot of F U's!

And a lot of protection for Howell for a decade. 

They could also look to Penix and Fuaga

I don't think Fuaga will be there in the second round.  However it is really early in the process so things could go in a lot of different directions.  It is way too early but I think Fuaga may be T number 4.   There is a lot of college football to be played too.  A guy like Mims at Georgia is a wildcard.  He has missed most of this season and he was not polished to start with, but like his former teammate Broderick Jones, has really nice physical tools to work with.   Will teams go for a more NFL ready Fuaga or maybe a higher upside guy in Mims.  I don't know.  But its a good year to need a Tackle but there is decent top guys, but also the 3-6 guys are also intriguing so even if you don't have a top 7 or 8 pick, there will be exciting options in the first round.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, philibusters said:

I don't think Fuaga will be there in the second round.  However it is really early in the process so things could go in a lot of different directions.  It is way too early but I think Fuaga may be T number 4.   There is a lot of college football to be played too.  A guy like Mims at Georgia is a wildcard.  He has missed most of this season and he was not polished to start with, but like his former teammate Broderick Jones, has really nice physical tools to work with.   Will teams go for a more NFL ready Fuaga or maybe a higher upside guy in Mims.  I don't know.  But its a good year to need a Tackle but there is decent top guys, but also the 3-6 guys are also intriguing so even if you don't have a top 7 or 8 pick, there will be exciting options in the first round.

We have the ammo to move up. I think moving up for bookend tackles is a wise mose, unless moving up costs "enitirely too much" and sets us back for too long. 

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

We have the ammo to move up. I think moving up for bookend tackles is a wise mose, unless moving up costs "enitirely too much" and sets us back for too long. 

Exactly my thoughts on moving back into the first round for the bookends that will say "FU" to all defenders! 

And we already have a bunch of potential inside players. Next up would be a TE...sure wish that had been taken care of last year

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, KDawg said:

In my opinion, there is zero chance we ignore LBer and we take one early day 2 and I am happy as hell about this.

4 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

And we already have a bunch of potential inside players. Next up would be a TE...sure wish that had been taken care of last year

We could have had a TE from the deepest class in history.  But that draft class wasn't a total loss.  Quan Martin has positional flexibility.  So, there's that.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, PlayAction said:

We could have had a TE from the deepest class in history.  But that draft class wasn't a total loss.  Quan Martin has positional flexibility.  So, there's that.

The draft was deep at OT and TE. Instead we took two DBs who never see the field(or the one that does gets roasted regularly). 

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

In my opinion, there is zero chance we ignore LBer and we take one early day 2 and I am happy as hell about this.

Still can even if we move up for book end tackles.

We have a bunch of assets, including the following year's.

We have to be careful in case we are in the QB sweepstakes, but we could potentially recoup assets in other ways with a smart FO. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think you are better off taking a Tackle in the first round and another in the third round or something like that.  I don't want to get overly invested in the O-Line.

Plus realistically getting Fashanu and Fuaga probably means moving up twice which would be costly.  First move up from say 10 to 5 to grab Fashanu, that move alone probably costs our second round, then moving back into the middle of the first round to grab Fuaga probably costs us the Bears second rounder plus next years second rounder.  We still have Leno and Wylie under contract next year.  I rather do what Seattle did last year, grab one T in the first round and another in the third round.  It gives you a year to groom the third rounder and find out if he is any good.

I don't want to invest super heavy in the O-Line.  I want a solid unit with no weaknesses and a couple above average plaeyrs.   Considers that analysts say O-Line is a weak link unit.  For example having 5 solid guys (like Charles Leno or Samuel Cosmi level) is better than having 1 superstar, 1 star, 1 solid guy, 1 low level starter, and 1 weak link.  By contrast D-Line is a strong link unit.  Where you are better off have 1 superstar, 1 slightly above average player, 1 average player, and 1 low level starter compared to 3 solid guys and 1 average guy.

1 minute ago, philibusters said:

I think you are better off taking a Tackle in the first round and another in the third round or something like that.  I don't want to get overly invested in the O-Line.

Plus realistically getting Fashanu and Fuaga probably means moving up twice which would be costly.  First move up from say 10 to 5 to grab Fashanu, that move alone probably costs our second round, then moving back into the middle of the first round to grab Fuaga probably costs us the Bears second rounder plus next years second rounder.  We still have Leno and Wylie under contract next year.  I rather do what Seattle did last year, grab one T in the first round and another in the third round.  It gives you a year to groom the third rounder and find out if he is any good.

I don't want to invest super heavy in the O-Line.  I want a solid unit with no weaknesses and a couple above average plaeyrs.   Considers that analysts say O-Line is a weak link unit.  For example having 5 solid guys (like Charles Leno or Samuel Cosmi level) is better than having 1 superstar, 1 star, 1 solid guy, 1 low level starter, and 1 weak link.  By contrast D-Line is a strong link unit.  Where you are better off have 1 superstar, 1 slightly above average player, 1 average player, and 1 low level starter compared to 3 solid guys and 1 average guy.

I think it's too early to predict where we'd have to move up from.

My point is "we could". Not we should... I don't have enough info to make that claim yet. 

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

If there is an opportunity to move up to land a real difference maker, we gotta go for it. 

Imagine if instead of taking Forbes and Stromberg, we trade that 3rd rounder to move up to get Darnell Wright, solidifying the right side of our OL....

Realistically to move up 8 or 9 to grab Wright from 16 was going to cost a lot more than a compensatory 3 round pick.  At minimum it would have taken our 2nd round last year.  Possibly some added change to that second roudner.

6 minutes ago, philibusters said:

Realistically to move up 8 or 9 to grab Wright from 16 was going to cost a lot more than a compensatory 3 round pick.  At minimum it would have taken our 2nd round last year.  Possibly some added change to that second roudner.

So… we would have lost Quan Martin and Emmanuel Forbes. Seems like a win.

Though we probably wouldn’t have played Darnell, either.

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

So… we would have lost Quan Martin and Emmanuel Forbes. Seems like a win.

Addition by subtraction as we like to say.

Remember that time Forbes came off the field crying like a little baby? I get it. Must be hard being confronted with the reality that you actually suck when you’ve spent your whole life thinking that you don’t.

• Haha 1

Listened to Eudge Shen's seminar on sports anayltics.  Nothing earth shattering from a draft perspective.  But a little interesting.

A.  Big believer in trading down in the draft.

B. Love TEs especially dual threat types who can catch and block.  lol, as I do so I like that part.  The value of a TE who can pass and block and in turn not telegraph to defenses what the team will do he finds invaluable. 

C.  He's different than some anayltics types on RBs.  He agrees about he doesn't like spending much on them in FA, since they peak early and fade.  But he's a fan of drafting RBs -- get them young at their best.  He's OK with drafting a RB high if they have elite ability.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jalen Green, DE from JMU (6'1, 245) leads D1 in sacks with like 15.5 sacks and 21 TFL in 8 games. I still don't see him on any prospect rankings, but he's in our back yard on the #23 team. Hopefully he starts showing up on these lists, but he could be an underrated guy to get late for DE depth despite being undersized.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

3 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Jalen Green, DE from JMU (6'1, 245) leads D1 in sacks with like 15.5 sacks and 21 TFL in 8 games. I still don't see him on any prospect rankings, but he's in our back yard on the #23 team. Hopefully he starts showing up on these lists, but he could be an underrated guy to get late for DE depth despite being undersized.

Kinda hope he doesn't show up on lists...shhhh 😁

• Like 1