Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Commanders Emmanuel Forbes CB Mississippi State

zCommander

37 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

That and I think they were legitimately shocked Gonzalez was available at their pick and didn't take him because they did no research on him.

IF that's the case, what a horrible testament to how incompetent these clowns are.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Its just a working theory but I mean it sounds like it could be the case based on everything we know about how this regime operates.

this was my draft day theory. Not so much that they didn’t do work on Gonzalez, but that they’d done SO MUCH on Forbes bc they thought they’d just be left with him that they got overly comfortable with him and felt compelled to take him. They’d deluded themselves into seeing him as the BPA because they spent so much time convincing themselves he was the guy 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, abdcskins said:

So why did we draft this guy? Serious question. What did the front office and coaching staff see in him? 

In fairness, the only knock against him on draft day was his size.  But otherwise, as a cover guy, I remember all the draft coverage raving about him.  They still took the wrong guy, but we can't be revisionist about the scouting report on him.coming out.

• Thanks 1

Sure this has been brought up before, but what did this coaching staff think would happen, even before the season started, when playing the Eagles with this guy? Eagles have two main receivers, and of the two, Forbes could reasonably match up one, Smith. No way can he be expected to deal with the physicality of AJ Brown. To allow him one on one against Brown repeatedly, in both games?!?!

I am like many, pull the plug Harris.

7 minutes ago, REDSKINS STOMP said:

Sure this has been brought up before, but what did this coaching staff think would happen, even before the season started, when playing the Eagles with this guy? Eagles have two main receivers, and of the two, Forbes could reasonably match up one, Smith. No way can he be expected to deal with the physicality of AJ Brown. To allow him one on one against Brown repeatedly, in both games?!?!

I am like many, pull the plug Harris.

They're dinosaurs. They assumed Forbes = CB1 and AJ Brown = WR1 thus Forbes must cover Brown. Nevermind that the Eagles other WR is a rail thin speedster which presents a better matchup opportunity(although Forbes gets lit up by Smith too, so I guess ultimately it doesn't really matter).

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

It’s coaching. Don’t be surprised if he’s plays much better next season in a scheme that allows him to do want he does best (zone, off man).

What he's saying there is that Forbes needs the 1-on-1 work to get him to understand what it takes to play the positon. The study and work. 

That is coaching, bit that is also a case of the player without the right approach to playing in the NFL. Dude doesn't get what it takes yet. 

I am going to make an argument that I am surprised I don't hear more.  We need to move Forbes to teh slot for the remainder of the season.  

We need to get him playing time over Danny Johnson.   Forbes is a big part of our future.  Danny Johnson is a solid backup.  We need Forbes to be playing.   If we play in the slot, we have much less worry about him having to cover the other team's number 1 receiver and one of his strengths is quickness, at 170 he can change direction really well.

Now the obvious downside to putting him in the slot is you would like a better tackler in there against the run.  The slot defensive back does have to help in the run more than the outside corners.  So the risk is we go from exposing him in coverage to exposing him in run defense.  But to me its worth a try and because St. Juste also has experience in the slot, you could flip them depending on the matchup.  If the other team motions or lines up to get a matchup of their number 1 against Forbes on the outside you could potentially flip St. Juste outside and knock Forbes inside.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, KDawg said:

Forbes and Quan picks have both really paid dividends so far.

Forbes has been horrible. Quan barely has played, flashed some in short stints this season aside from that AJ Brown play.

But you are forgetting how much they've depended on Stromberg, Daniels to beef up the O line this season.  And I feel much better now about trading two picks for KJ Henry, he's been awesome.  Ditto Andre Jones.

FA has been even better.  Wylie, Gates, Barton.

Ron I bet is making Vinny Cerrato jealous.  I think he might have beaten Vinny for the worst off season (at the moment) in the Dan era.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm not sure if its the scouts fault. Forbes was a coaches pick. Just about every scout had Gonzalez rated higher and deservedly so. 

I hear you, but over the years, how many pro bowl players, all-pros do we have?

I see no real way that the talent of a lot of our scouts isn't in question.  

11 minutes ago, Redwards said:

I hear you, but over the years, how many pro bowl players, all-pros do we have?

I see no real way that the talent of a lot of our scouts isn't in question.  

I don't disagree, but ultimately we have no idea who the scouts are grading high vs. what the decision makers decide to end up doing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He tends to sulk on the sidelines or at least I've seen it multiple times with video.  It's not good you need to have a short memory and bounce back.

Agreed, I haven't seen a rookie so demonstrably shaken the way Forbes looks in a long time.  Inspires zero confidence at a position where you need to shake it off.  

Well, if you take a young kid in the military and constantly abuse his ass in front of all the others he turns into a dirt bag. I will say this again....praise in public and discipline in private. We expected a ballhawk and we got a kid that has some learning to do. The staff ****ed up the draft and we all knew that after day two. Picked him earlier than they should have and we all now focus on him with lazers. Give the kid time to learn before we destroy him. If halfway through season two of his career he sucks.....call him a bust. We have 3 and 4 year corners looking like idiots that also probably shouldn't even be out on the field. 

Side note: Everyone got torched by A.J yesterday. 

Edited by tmandoug1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I was curious what Green meant by help. Is it coaching. Is it scheme? Is he constantly being left on an island and not getting safety help? I mean I remember the TD he gave up to Brown in the 1st Eagle game where he got the taunting penalty we had both linebackers covering Goedart and Cam Kurl came up to help on him too? Why in the world were we triple covering the TE on that play and leaving the rookie on AJ Brown that play?

I feel there is a cancer in the defense, it needs to be removed, I don't think its just JDR either..