Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 NFL Draft Watch and Post Thread - The Hangover Special

KDawg

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

2 divisions. North and South.

I like Martin. In a vacuum.

But for those saying “in three years when our secondary is elite”… there’s a chance it could be. We have a lot of talent on D. 

But I sure hope we can win a bunch of 9-6 games.

They got to go offense for most of the rest of this.  But I love the secondary now.

I liked Forbes as a player, wasn't infatuated with him because of his size.  And i was thinking, who plays slot because all three corners are better outside.  Danny johnson is all right but I don't know if he's great.  Quan Martin IMO is potentially a killer slot corner among other things.

Really good guy too, high character, I posted some stuff on it on the draft thread.

I was thinking third round.  but I can deal with him here.

• Like 1

The picks also shows they are 100% drafting for need and they viewed CB/Slot as bigger needs than anything else.

We will have a better secondary for sure. But being BPA thinking I don’t love the way we’re handling this strategically.

But speaking on the two players, both in vacuums, we got two very good players.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Does anyone look at what we have at OL, and then look at what the teams in our division have on their DL, and not panic?

I think we light, and low on talent. Offensively, we have been bad, and it all starts up front.

I guess we'll be ok defensively, and be 30th in points, and wonder why we missed the playoffs again, and finished last in the division......again.

Maybe Ron knows he's not good enough to survive another ownership change and is trying to set Harris and his new, better FO up for a great draft pick next year.

We're gonna be picking higher next year than this year.  Book it.  2023 is going to be a very, very long season.

• Sad 1
  • Thumb down 1

I used to poo-poo Cowherd for constantly spewing how Defensive head coaches fail more then they succeed because great, innovative offenses win championships now, not defenses.  There's always exceptions but....

He may be on to something...sigh

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Does anyone look at what we have at OL, and then look at what the teams in our division have on their DL, and not panic?

I think we light, and low on talent. Offensively, we have been bad, and it all starts up front.

I guess we'll be ok defensively, and be 30th in points, and wonder why we missed the playoffs again, and finished last in the division......again.

Starting 5 right now could be Leno, Gates, Roullier, Cosmi, Wylie.

if we cut Roullier then Gates would be center and maybe Paul competes with Charles. I’m assuming Norwell will be a casualty based on Kiem saying on his podcast everything he’s heard about LG is Paul and Charles being in competition for the spot. 

I think that line is adequate to decent. But depth at both guard spots is poor. Injuries would be a major problem.

• Like 1

Just now, AZDave said:

Actually all kidding aside, i actually like this draft. Our offence looked good behind howell against Dallas. I think our biggest weakness was our corners and safety and it keeps us from over paying an aging vet who thinks they can still play. We were on the field way too much late in games

This FO has drafted DBs very well. I think our secondary is stacked now. We should be stout on defense. 

8 minutes ago, redskinss said:

So typical of a draft, everybody looking at it with the vision of what do we need right now!!!!!!!!!!!

And 3 years from now if these guys are pro bowlers and our secondary is elite we go, damn guess that was the right call.

I unironically think it will be great for the future of our secondary. Rivera will just be watching a better staff reap the benefits of his poor-value drafting once they insert their own premium position talents that allow us to take advantage of it all as a whole. These guys are good players just being drafted at poor value. Forbes more than Martin, but still. Rivera consistently drafts like a guy backfilling a recent divisional round playoff team. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

The offense has plenty of weapons. And they did address the OL in FA this off season. They gave EB one of his guys while doing it too. There is something to be said about making your strength stronger in the draft. My issue is the complete lack of draft positioning value this FO shows. It just amazes me. 

Take a look at the OL, and tell me we did enough. Look at our Tackles. Look at Guard. Tell me this looks like a OL that can compete in this division. Tell me that Howell is not going to get killed back there. Tell me we'll have holes for Robinson and Gibson to run through.

• Like 1

Just now, clskinsfan said:

The offense has plenty of weapons. And they did address the OL in FA this off season. They gave EB one of his guys while doing it too. There is something to be said about making your strength stronger in the draft. My issue is the complete lack of draft positioning value this FO shows. It just amazes me. 

I don’t give a crap about theoretical positional value. 

I care about keeping the QB uptight and opening holes for the run game.

2 things we couldn’t do last year.  

Screw positional value.  They should have gotten the best damn OL player they could find who might be able to either start or compete immediately for a starting job.  Because nobody is going to convince me that at picks 16 or 47 there wasn’t an OL prospect who couldn’t push our completely non-existent LG. Which apparently is going to be a battle between Chris Paul and S. Charles.   

Positional value is a partial myth, along with reaches, made up by Mel Kiper’s receding hair line. 

What the eff are we evening doing here?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1