Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 NFL Draft Watch and Post Thread - The Hangover Special

KDawg

Regardless of why we went Forbes over pretty much every other position…

We are going to have it rough with this current OL versus this division’s DLs. I hope we get some surprise OL available as BPA later otherwise we’re in a lot of trouble. 

Like I said before, we had to hope someone was worth trading up for at our spot. There wasn't. Nobody wants Levis or Hooker. All the top tier OL were taken. Robinson and Gibbs taken. TE is a deep class but nobody was trading up for one until Buffalo made a slight move up but still didn't take the first until around 25th. 

If you wanna argue we should have taken Gonzalez over Forbes I can understand that, but I think his medical issues are legitimate which is why he dropped. I know everyone is panicking because the Pats scooped him up so fast, but their draft track record has actually been quite abysmal the last several years.

Beyond Gonzalez, anyone else we would have realistically taken would have also been a big reach. This was just a bad draft class and it sucks that all the good OL got scooped up before us. 

But Forbes is a baller. I understand the concerns over his weight. I have those same concerns. But as a player he is a baller and will make our defense better.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

I wanted them to move up to get one.  Be a little aggressive.  I get the BPA vs need thing, but they NEED another tackle.  

They needed to do something other than staying pat and picking a CB.

Trade up and be aggressive or trade back and pick a guard. 

But what they did was criminal negligence.

And I have no problem with the player.  But they didn’t get appreciably better. Even if the guy they picked turns out to be great, it doesn’t really help them get that much better on defense.  They weee already good enough on defense. 

They flat blew the strategy.  They did the one thing they couldn’t do.

I think the strategy was flawed, too. But there weren’t any OTs. Trading up for one is a move that likely isn’t on the table. I’m sure they’ve been told next years picks are off the table to be moved.

We beat Philly last year in Philly.  Now, I wasn't able to watch or hear many games so some of their starters might have missed the game but we can beat then if they had most of their starters playing.  We have Howell and we need a guy like Mauch from NDSU.  Wildman to play at LT and he's versatile.  Bergeron too is good.  Hope we try to land one of them.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

**** the Eagles. Overrated trash.

The league will catch up to Jalen Hurts. Super bowl runner up hangover. 1st place schedule. No playoffs for you.

I agree with your first three words, but they had a good defense last year (got nine sacks against us in one game!) and they just got better. Overrated they ain't.

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I think the strategy was flawed, too. But there weren’t any OTs. Trading up for one is a move that likely isn’t on the table. I’m sure they’ve been told next years picks are off the table to be moved.

Maybe.  Maybe not.  I think a more creative FO would have figured out how not to get stuck picking a CB that’s not going to really make you better.  

It was the wrong move.

• Thumb up 1

Round 1, No. 16: Emmanuel Forbes, CB, Mississippi State

My take: Washington entered the draft wanting to take a corner or an offensive lineman in the first round. When there was a run on tackles early, and the top four tackles were gone by the time the Commanders selected, corner became a strong option. And they got the guy they considered the second-best corner in the draft, behind Illinois' Devon Witherspoon. The Commanders needed more depth at the position alongside starters Kendall Fuller and Benjamin St-Juste. Fuller is a free agent after the season. Forbes provides the Commanders something they didn’t have: a consistent playmaker in the secondary. That will pair well behind a line that can apply pressure.

Key stat: Six. That’s the number of passes Forbes returned for touchdowns at Mississippi State, an FBS record. He picked off a total of 14 passes in his college career, and he did it by being around the ball, grabbing tipped passes and errant throws. Washington’s corners combined for four interceptions last season and only seven in the past two years combined. The Commanders ranked 28th in the NFL with nine total interceptions last season. One way to help their offense? Take the ball away. Forbes provides that opportunity.

Will he start as a rookie? That’s hard to say with veterans St-Juste and Fuller returning. But Washington plays a lot of nickel sets so Forbes will play a considerable amount. He’s best suited for the outside, so the question then becomes: Who will play inside? Fuller has been an effective slot corner in the past and as little as two years ago. But he seems more comfortable in their zone match system on the outside. St-Juste played in the slot early last season before he moved to the outside for good.

What’s next: The Commanders wanted to add more picks. But they will enter Day 2 with one pick in the second round (47) and one in the third (97), a compensatory pick for losing Brandon Scherff in free agency in 2022. Washington also has one pick in the fourth (118), fifth (150), sixth (193) and seventh (233). They still have needs along the offensive line -- tackle or guard -- linebacker, safety, running back, tight end and defensive end.

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington-commanders/post/_/id/42888/washington-commanders-nfl-draft-picks-2023-analysis-for-every-selection

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I’d say let’s draft an OC like JMS tomorrow but what does ir matter. Leno and Wylie are going to get abused in the edges even if we can make an interior stand. I know it’s just 2 games. But we have no chance against Philly next year.

the NFC  is so bad. Eagles will run the show for many years 

We had no chance against them last year and we beat them with the worst QB in the entire league, a moron OC and a bad OL.

Any given Sunday, and even more so in division. 

• Like 2

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

Maybe.  Maybe not.  I think a more creative FO would have figured out how not to get stuck picking a CB that’s not going to really make you better.  

It was the wrong move.

I agree, again, in theory. There were a bunch of guys I’d have taken over Forbes. Some OTs may have even been a spot or two ahead. But the players that I’d have taken at 16 were all defensive based on the way the board played. 

Bad year to need a OT. Given the depth at CB in this class, where I viewed CB as a need (middle of the road, not glaring) and my individual rating of Forbes I don’t think the value was there. Wouldn’t have done it. 

But, I think the player himself is solid hopefully it works out. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RWJ said:

We beat Philly last year in Philly.  Now, I wasn't able to watch or hear many games so some of their starters might have missed the game but we can beat then if they had most of their starters playing.  We have Howell and we need a guy like Mauch from NDSU.  Wildman to play at LT and he's versatile.  Bergeron too is good.  Hope we try to land one of them.  

It took a freak turnover game on their part for us to win that.  Just the facts.  We can't count on something like the that happening again.  

And because Ron and Co. couldn't properly build an O line to begin with, we gotta live with the Eagles' D line living in our backfield for the next few years.  Good luck with that.

1 minute ago, London Kev said:

I agree with your first three words, but they had a good defense last year (got nine sacks against us in one game!) and they just got better. Overrated they ain't.

Eagles lost five starters on defense and the dudes tonight haven’t played one snap. The Eagles love fest around here is out of hand.

Are they good? Yes. Will they dominate the division for the next five years? Pump the ****ing brakes. They got a few more on the retirement block and injuries/draft busts happen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Regardless of why we went Forbes over pretty much every other position…

We are going to have it rough with this current OL versus this division’s DLs. I hope we get some surprise OL available as BPA later otherwise we’re in a lot of trouble. 

The Eagles can tear an O line apart from the inside or outside.  And they have an off the ball LB to create havoc beyond their edge rushers. 

But they will regret it when they come to terms to the idea that they doubled down on their strength versus addressing some of their weaker spots like safety-LB, etc.  :D

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I think we have to take Dawand Jones or Darnell Washington if they’re there tomorrow. Gotta take some big swings. 

I think you’re right about Dawand. If he’s there he’s the best player available and it’s not close. How bad is the character stuff? How bad is the weight concern? But we need to take a big swing and Dawand is the definition of big.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

We had no chance against them last year and we beat them with the worst QB in the entire league, a moron OC and a bad OL.

Any given Sunday, and even more so in division. 

Not with the QB & O-Line we currently have.  We’re solidly the 4th best team in the division.  Maybe 3rd if the Giants regress.  The Eagles are clearly the best team in the division and the NFC.  I really have a hard time seeing this team beating the Eagles in the future. They will definitely remember last year’s game the next time we play them.

The funny thing is, we spent 4 consecutive years trying to build this beast D-Line, only for the Eagles to surpass us in that regard in half the time.  They are truly the class of the division.  I’m envious of that team and their FO.

Edited by samy316

Pick was not that bad there not a ton of top talent this year. I am sure they tried to move down. Oline will be hard to draft tommrow in 2 rd unless we move up.

Washington is rumored to have bad medical and another flag so watch for him to go in third rd. Maybe linebacker tommrow the guy from Arkansas?

Edited by Redskins 2021

Not really excited about this pick but unfortunately sitting at the #16 spot is not the ideal place we wanted to be,  especially if we wanted to trade down. I'm hoping by mid-season we're all going to be pleasantly surprised and this kid turns out to be a star.  Honestly with everything going on with the sale of the team my expectations weren't very high. I can't wait until next year when we have a whole new regime picking our talent. 

2 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Eagles lost five starters on defense and the dudes tonight haven’t played one snap. The Eagles love fest around here is out of hand.

Are they good? Yes. Will they dominate the division for the next five years? Pump the ****ing brakes. They got a few more on the retirement block and injuries/draft busts happen. 

I didn't know about the five lost starters, so that does change things a bit. I'd still like to see us take a fat boy in the second and maybe another on day three.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Redwards said:

We're dead.   Eagles are going to own this division for years.  They are all about winning, while we sit here and build at a snail's pace.  By the time we're ready to contend for anything of measure, the Eagles will have gone through another down cycle and then be back up again unless our new owner cleans house this offseason.  Ron and his guys max out at being slow and "solid", while we have to watch a truly elite FO simply build time and gain and win, time and again.

I detest the Eagles, and have in-laws who are from Philly, so it's ten times worse than me.  But I'm so freaking jealous of what an incredible FO they have.  They do things the right way year after year.  And when you do that, good things happen to you like they did tonight.  Baltimore is the same way.  Just unreal.  They're light years better than what we're currently stuck with.  It'll take another freak turnover game on their part for us to beat them even once next year.  

I agree with everything you said. The Eagles and Giants BOTH have had multiple down years where they've rebuilt and come back stronger and been top teams in the division while we stay as bottom dwellers. It's so frustrating to watch as we've been on this 20+ year road of "finally making it" while PHIL and NY have done that 3-4 times over in that span.

And my mom's fam is from outside Philly so i always hear it from them when Philly is good/whoops us. My highlight of the season last year was when we beat Philly and broke their unbeaten record. Imagine that being our Super Bowl/highlight of the year...while they contend for real Super Bowls. At this point im of tired of Ron and his slow-pitch process. I get focusing on revamping culture, but why cant we do that AND focus on/prioritize winning. And im not gona lie, i find myself watching and following Baltimore more than this team because they've come up out the shadows and been so much better than us between Flacco and Lamar. All while we cycle through 97 qbs and continuous losing records/missing the playoffs.

• Like 1