Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mod Notice: Temp Ban if Post on Changing the Name. Per New York Times: Dan Syder Agrees to Sell Washingon Commaders for $6B

Reaper Skins

Just now, RVAskins said:

I want our home stadium to have more fans, lots more fans that the opposing team.

I think next year will be better but it won't be very good until the team either starts winning a bunch, or they move to a new stadium. The XFL and the Defenders are proof of concept.

Hypothetical question.

I'd like to preface this question with the statement that I believe the most likely outcome in the next year or two is a full house cleaning of all front office personnel and coaches and that it's really what this team needs after 25 years of Snyder.

That said my question. 

If you could decide the outcome of next year but had only 2 choices which would you make?

Choice one.

win one game and lock up the number one pick.

This would assuredly spell the end for everybody from the gm to the ball boys and we'd be able to start completely fresh with a potential franchise changing quarterback in Caleb williams and all new coaches and managers hand picked by Josh Harris.

Choice two.

Have a 15 win season that culminates in a loss in the nfc championship game.

Elite defense and Sam howell has progressed into a top 10 to 15 quarterback.

Do you want a fresh start so bad that you'd for•go the best season we've had in over 30 years or do you take the great year and hope Rivera and company can find a way to get over that hump they couldn't last time.

1,000% Choice 2. If we could win 15 games and Sam Howell established himself, we'd be in a much better overall position than if we had the #1 pick, and a new everything.

It would also likely set EB up to become our next head coach, possibly with Rivera transitioning to a consultant role or something. 

I could see the new owners, having seen what EB could do with Howell, opting to clean house, keep EB, get a new FO in place, and roll with that.

• Like 1

And to double-down on that ... we'd have gone 15-2 ... lost in the NFC title game ... got ourselves a new owner, a franchise QB, and we'd go into the next off-season with $100m in cap space to basically go crazy on filling holes to win a super bowl in 2024. I'd love a new GM/FO to come in and make those decisions but there are far worse positions to be in.

Of course, having Caleb Williams (no sure thing) and a new FO / Coach / owner would also be great .Neither scenario would be bad ... honestly the worst case scenario is in the middle ... we go 8-9 ... pick like #17 ... we'd clean house for sure, but assuming we go 8-9 with this defense, likely means Sam Howell is average, meaning we'll have to get aggressive for a QB in 2024 and we'd remain stuck in middling territory. Hopefully a new FO in that situation would quickly implement a plan to get us out of the rut of mediocrity. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CobraCommander said:

I think next year will be better but it won't be very good until the team either starts winning a bunch, or they move to a new stadium. The XFL and the Defenders are proof of concept.

There are 31 other teams.  Extrapolating from my own feelings:

1. More likely to go to see games were my team has a some chance of winning. So, since all but 4-5 teams would have at least a some chance to win or at least be in it for most of the game, I'd be very likely to go to a Washington game if I was a fan of the opponent.
  2. Until we have the division in hand (I did get to see Washington when that was more than a fantasy), I always hoped Dallas, Philadelphia and New York lost (unless Washington needed them to win to get home field in the playoffs). If I lived in the DMV but rooted for one of those teams, I'd at least think about going to some games.
  3. Most Washington games are relatively cheap, so its easy to decide to go on the relative spur of the moment (though the location of FedEx is an issue).

Much of what is going on with the XFL and Defenders is that there are really no die-hards, at least at the beginning of the season.

25 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Yeah, I thought I went a little rich on the hypothetical,

Yeah.

Its a choice between:

blowing it up for just the chance to be great (there is no guarantee even C. Will and a new staff get us over the hump)

and

Simply being great

Easy choice as constructed. Nobody should be picking option 1.

The best case scenario for us will be this current administration and team figuring it out... but like you said, long odds.

44 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Hypothetical question.

I'd like to preface this question with the statement that I believe the most likely outcome in the next year or two is a full house cleaning of all front office personnel and coaches and that it's really what this team needs after 25 years of Snyder.

That said my question. 

If you could decide the outcome of next year but had only 2 choices which would you make?

Choice one.

This would assuredly spell the end for everybody from the gm to the ball boys and we'd be able to start completely fresh with a potential franchise changing quarterback in Caleb williams and all new coaches and managers hand picked by Josh Harris.

Choice two.

Do you want a fresh start so bad that you'd for•go the best season we've had in over 30 years or do you take the great year and hope Rivera and company can find a way to get over that hump they couldn't last time.

If those are my only two choices, number 2 is a no-brainer.  Best, given the assumptions you made, would be any W-L combo that showed Howell was good to great and the defense is good to great. Worst would be a good year W-L wise that was more just a matter of getting lucky as opposed to actually being good.  Also don't like the possibility of being just meh. Option one is probably 3.

1. Your choice 2

2. Good team with promise

3. Awful, blow it up

4. Mediocre but QB still is below par

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

Yeah, I thought I went a little rich on the hypothetical,  I almost said 13 games and Howell is an average starter.

I just wanted to see how much fans feel the only way to sustainable success complete turnover now. 

3675372_0.jpg

No way Rivera wins 15 games next year either. Next two years combined, yes.

unfortunately we live forever in mediocrity, never really bad enough for a full reset and never good enough to make a run... 

But I'll choose option 2, the fan base could use it, the franchise could use it, we would be rich with $$$ to spend and lock up players or bring in new talent, fill the stands... best case scenario 

15 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

unfortunately we live forever in mediocrity, never really bad enough for a full reset and never good enough to make a run... 

On occasion, we are bad enough for a full reset. We just never seem to hit a HR. From LaVar to RGIII to Scherrf and now Chase. Not necessarily all disappointments, but none were/are as good as we hoped. 

2 hours ago, redskinss said:

Hypothetical question.

That said my question. 

Choice one.

Choice two.

I’m a touch confused why anyone would rather see countless folks lose their jobs and the team stink versus having an actual good football team.

Are we that broken? :ols:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

51 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Ron isn’t sniffing 15 wins in 23. 7 or 8 wins most likely.

I knew I could count on you comrade.

It was a hypothetical.

A thought exercise to see who would want radical change no matter what the results are of next season.

I know full well Ron isn't getting 15 wins next year.

He's not gonna get one either.

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I’m a touch confused why anyone would rather see countless folks lose their jobs and the team stink versus having an actual good football team.

Are we that broken? :ols:

I screwed up the hypothetical, 15 wins was way too many, It would be absurd to pick option one at that point.

I should have said 12 wins, loss in the divisional round and Howell looks good to slightly above average or something like that.

10 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I knew I could count on you comrade.

It was a hypothetical.

A thought exercise to see who would want radical change no matter what the results are of next season.

I know full well Ron isn't getting 15 wins next year.

He's not gonna get one either.

I screwed up the hypothetical, 15 wins was way too many, It would be absurd to pick option one at that point.

I should have said 12 wins, loss in the divisional round and Howell looks good to slightly above average or something like that.

It’s okay, I thought it may be Comrade bait. And just like the pied piper you led Comrade through the streets.

Edited by KDawg
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I might even take 11 games.  Granted we got a 17 game schedule now.  But if i recall we haven't won 11 games in 30 years.

I like Ron.  i actually think he does a good job.  i think we'd do better with someone who is great at their job.   But i am rooting for all our coaches over the years, especially Ron who is a class act.  I think regardless Ron is unlikely going to be hanging for long -- I think even if he's not pushed out, he will retire sooner than later. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I might even take 11 games.  Granted we got a 17 game schedule now.  But if i recall we haven't won 11 games in 30 years.

Last 11+ win season was 1991. We won 14 games that season. Really sad indeed. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like Ron.  i actually think he does a good job.  i think we'd do better with someone who is great at their job.   But i am rooting for all our coaches over the years, especially Ron who is a class act.  I think regardless Ron is unlikely going to be hanging for long -- I think even if he's not pushed out, he will retire sooner than later. 

1 minute ago, zCommander said:

Last 11+ win season was 1991. We won 14 games that season. Really sad indeed. 

I’d take 11 and signs of growth. That would be fantastic.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

May is here.  People here are saying that May 10th is a significant date for the sale.  Others are saying it's the 22nd.  Wonder when we'll hear something

I'm sure no matter which date it is, Goodell will put out a statement 5 minutes later saying that the Mary Jo White investigation will be closed without a report because the team has been sold.

I think its high time Ron had a season where we can judge him only on football. None of the insane off field distractions, no health related issues just an evaluation with his focus only on football. I think he'll be significantly better and the record will likewise be better. whether that means he saves his job is tbd but at least he'll have a fair shake. Im excited to see what they can do without all the noise. Not sure if it will be enough for Harris no matter what the end record is but at least we'll see what he can do.

• Like 3