Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump on Trial (Trump indicted for a fourth time in Georgia. Expands his record of most indictments by a former president)

Cooked Crack

Will Trump be convicted in any of his cases?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Will Trump be convicted in any of his cases?

• Yes. He's going 4 for 4. (including Georgia)
    • He's going to lose 3
    • Two for sure
    • He's only going to get convicted in one
    • No. He's going to skate

This poll is closed to new votes

5 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I'd prefer a conviction, but I don't think that even a mistrial would be all that devastating. That means ol' Trump will have to do this all over again (they WILL be going after him again) and who knows when that time line might land. Even if it's after the election, as I said, an almost 80 year old man being jettisoned all over the country takes it's toll. Throw in some stress and an unhealthy lifestyle, Trump might not make it to the election in good health.

The trial hasn't even begun and we've already dealt with crying jurors, Don Snoreleon (didn't come up with it, but stealing it anyways) dropping sleep toots and maga chuds setting themselves on fire. Only Trump and his moronic team would think any of this would help him, it might fire up the base, but the common person does not want this chaos. I also think people are starting to see Trump held up and court and starting to see the government get things done again. I'm not saying there is a correlation, but people are starting to think there is and I'll take that.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, tshile said:

Mistrial doesn’t guarantee another trial. 

No, but I really can't see NY just letting it go if there is a mistrial.

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Jury nullification isn’t a mistrial. It’s an acquittal. 

I know, I was just saying that I'd prefer that he gets convicted, but I don't think a mistrial would be the end of the world either. Of course, him walking would be not make me happy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dan T. said:

he did indeed audibly pass gas and the stench had a visible effect on those around him.

I would like to see the work of a talented court artist capturing the emotions of this scene.

13 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

No, but I really can't see NY just letting it go if there is a mistrial.

I've watched a ton of L&O (like the first 466 episodes at least a dozen times, and I know it's fake), but I've also watched a ton of true crime (Oxygen Network is all true crime). 

Sometimes prosecutors can dig up some new evidence, but if they can't, it's a serious taxpayer expense (especially in this case)...they may not think a second trial is worth it.

Jury nullification is a completely different animal.  Double jeopardy applies and he cannot legally be re-tried. 

Just now, Corcaigh said:

I would like to see the work of a talented court artist capturing the emotions of this scene.

Me too.  :ols:

• Sad 1

image.png.083753743f498d3c546b1da4e4c5b121.png

Adding some trial news - opening statements Monday & #RipVanStinkle's lawyers don't have any idea who the DA's first 3 witnesses will be.

image.png.6fad79ac780dcd7a181d14c2030af4e1.png

...one more

Edited by EmirOfShmo
  • Like 5
  • Haha 6

Judge denies Trump co-defendants' motions to dismiss charges in classified documents case

U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon on Thursday denied motions by two of former President Donald Trump's co-defendants to dismiss charges in the classified documents case.

Trump aide Walt Nauta's lawyers asked this month for five charges against him to be dismissed, while lawyers for Carlos De Oliveira, who was the property manager at Mar-a-Lago, Trump’s Florida estate, requested that all charges against him be tossed out.

In her filing in Florida, Cannon said De Oliveira "does not meaningfully dispute that the charging document satisfies the minimum pleading standards."

She also noted that his lawyers can challenge prosecutors' evidence during a trial, "where the Special Counsel will bear the entire burden of proof as to all essential elements of the obstruction offenses."

Similarly, she dismissed the motion from Nauta's lawyers, who had argued that obstruction charges against him were unconstitutionally vague.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 2

3 hours ago, China said:

Judge denies Trump co-defendants' motions to dismiss charges in classified documents case

U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon on Thursday denied motions by two of former President Donald Trump's co-defendants to dismiss charges in the classified documents case.

Trump aide Walt Nauta's lawyers asked this month for five charges against him to be dismissed, while lawyers for Carlos De Oliveira, who was the property manager at Mar-a-Lago, Trump’s Florida estate, requested that all charges against him be tossed out.

In her filing in Florida, Cannon said De Oliveira "does not meaningfully dispute that the charging document satisfies the minimum pleading standards."

She also noted that his lawyers can challenge prosecutors' evidence during a trial, "where the Special Counsel will bear the entire burden of proof as to all essential elements of the obstruction offenses."

Similarly, she dismissed the motion from Nauta's lawyers, who had argued that obstruction charges against him were unconstitutionally vague.

Click on the link for the full article

Someone in the court structure has gotten to her about her behavior and rulings. For a while, I'm thinking that someone in Trump's camp was advising her. Now I think she's getting advice from someone in the federal court system. This ruling from her came rather quick, given her past timelines.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Someone in the court structure has gotten to her about her behavior and rulings. For a while, I'm thinking that someone in Trump's camp was advising her. Now I think she's getting advice from someone in the federal court system. This ruling from her came rather quick, given her past timelines.

I think she even mentioned in the ruling that she sought advice from her bosses at the 11th circuit.  Something that's straightforward that she'd too stupid to figure out herself.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

On 4/19/2024 at 6:23 PM, Corcaigh said:

image.jpeg.5f6e2831f4d0065f747ef2cdbbfb2159.jpeg

The attorney in the foreground is waving the stench away and fighting the gag reflex. The people over Trump’s left shoulder show clear signs of nausea. The three people in the background are evacuating the chamber. 

• Haha 2

Trump’s Only Options for His Defense Are Really Quite Bad

With the near completion of what may have been the most challenging and significant jury selection in American legal history, my former trial lawyer colleagues and I have been discussing the ways the upcoming Trump hush money trial will likely unfold. Notwithstanding the group’s collective high-level prosecutorial and white-collar defense trial experience—together spanning well over 100 years—our discussions have failed to answer a very basic question: What is the defense?

Defense lawyers always need a theory of their case to present to the jury in their opening statements, a construct that they try to build upon as they cross-examine key prosecution witnesses, call their own witnesses, introduce evidence, and sum it all up in their closing argument to the jury.

Were the witnesses against my client mistaken in identifying him as the perpetrator? In that regard, were the lighting conditions too poor, or was he too far away to allow accurate identification? Or, in white-collar cases, was my client relying on the advice of counsel or other trusted professionals when he did what he is accused of and thus acted without the requisite criminal intent? Or are the government witnesses all simply lying?

In theory, Donald Trump potentially had an advice-of-counsel defense—all three parties to the Stormy Daniels transaction at the core of the charges were represented by attorneys—but asserting that defense would require him to testify, something, as I have previously written in Slate, that he is manifestly incapable of doing. This is surely the case in the Alvin Bragg prosecution. Because taking the witness stand places a defendant’s credibility directly at issue, Trump’s doing so would open the door to cross-examining him about otherwise inadmissible, damning past conduct. The E. Jean Carroll debacle is just one of many skeletons he must keep in the closet.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-only-options-defense-really-140000262.html

• Thumb up 2