Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

It's not disingenuous. You have to be able to tell the difference and how these two contracts will affect their teams differently over the next few years.

Eagles- Great deal

Giants- Bad deal.

I really hope we are just smart enough as an organization to watch and learn from these deals. I feel like it should be obvious.....but, you know. 

Sorry guys, call me a hater, but Hurts isn't worth it. Yeah, he had a great year, but he had a great year with a great offensive line, an easy schedule and free pass to walk thru the playoffs and into the Super Bowl. A SB, which I might add, he lost for his team. Someone mentioned that he was two minutes away for winning the game for the Eagles, but his hero ball is the reason why they lost that game. I remember people saying that his next TD made up for his fumble recovered for a TD...thats not how it works people...

Anyways, I've heard this story before, from my neighbor...about Carson Wentz. He too was the "greatest QB in the NFL", what makes him potentially different than Hurts? I don't know, lets see how their QB sneaks hold up now that everyone knows their "trick" (it will be voted out in the next couple of years).They also did pretty well with injuries will that Oline be able to stay healthy all season? The Eagles are a good team, but luck fell more to their side than anything else and they still didn't pull it off.

Also, can we stop saying its great to win one SB and then suck for ten years straight, that isn't great. I recall winning 3 games not too long ago, it was some of the most agonizing football I've ever seen. You guys seriously want ten years of that for one ring? I guess add that one SB season highlights to the RG3 ones from 12 years ago, seems like that all we've got. I saw the Saints and Rams mentioned, yes they got their one, but now look at them. They rob Peter to pay Paul and it gets so bad that the head coaches want to haul ass out of their when its all said and done. How about we just do it the right way?

Not to mention, who is to say that Hurts won't ask for another extentsion/contract in a few years if he plays well...or if he doesn't play well?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Simmsy said:

Sorry guys, call me a hater, but Hurts isn't worth it. Yeah, he had a great year, but he had a great year with a great offensive line, an easy schedule and free pass to walk thru the playoffs and into the Super Bowl. A SB, which I might add, he lost for his team. Someone mentioned that he was two minutes away for winning the game for the Eagles, but his hero ball is the reason why they lost that game. I remember people saying that his next TD made up for his fumble recovered for a TD...thats not how it works people...

Anyways, I've heard this story before, from my neighbor...about Carson Wentz. He too was the "greatest QB in the NFL", what makes him potentially different than Hurts? I don't know, lets see how their QB sneaks hold up now that everyone knows their "trick" (it will be voted out in the next couple of years).They also did pretty well with injuries will that Oline be able to stay healthy all season? The Eagles are a good team, but luck fell more to their side than anything else and they still didn't pull it off.

Also, can we stop saying its great to win one SB and then suck for ten years straight, that isn't great. I recall winning 3 games not too long ago, it was some of the most agonizing football I've ever seen. You guys seriously want ten years of that for one ring? I guess add that one SB season highlights to the RG3 ones from 12 years ago, seems like that all we've got. I saw the Saints and Rams mentioned, yes they got their one, but now look at them. They rob Peter to pay Paul and it gets so bad that the head coaches want to haul ass out of their when its all said and done. How about we just do it the right way?

Not to mention, who is to say that Hurts won't ask for another extentsion/contract in a few years if he plays well...or if he doesn't play well?

Sorry dude, that’s not how the current NFL is set up anymore.  Unless you have a Tom Brady/Bill Bellicheck or Andy Reid/Pat Mahommes combo, no team is going to be a dynasty in the modern NFL.  There’s too much parity, turnover and injuries for dynasties to exist.  We’re most likely never going to see any team have a run like New England again.  The Chiefs might win 1-2 more SB’s before Mahommes is past his prime, but the AFC is loaded with QB talent, and it’s a gauntlet to win that conference.  If you win a SB like the Rams and the Seahawks did, you take that 10/10.  

People’s don’t understand how hard it is to get to an SB, much less win 1 or several.  You need either an all time coach, or an an elite QB (probably both) to sniff a SB.  We’re so far away from both.  We’ll probably never get a QB like Mahommes or Burrow, or ever have a coach like Gibbs, but if we had one season where it all came together, and we won a SB, I’d be happy for the next 10 years.

Also, you’re wrong about the Eagles.  They have been consistently good for 20+ years now.  They have the best GM in the game, and they’re the most talented team in the NFC, along with the 49ers.  You can say it was luck that got them to a SB, but let’s be very real here, the NFC is severely lacking in good to great QB’s, and Hurts is the best QB in the conference at the moment.  It’s not even close.  Who’s going to challenge the Eagles next year?  The 49ers are their closest competition, but their QB is out for a good part of next season.  The Packers are about to trade Rodgers to the Jets, so another elite QB is gone from the NFC.  The Cowboys are pretenders, and so are the Vikings.  The NFC is prime for the taking for the Eagles.  We’re nowhere near their level, as long as we still have Rivera as a coach, and as long as we don’t have a franchise QB.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Simmsy said:

Hurts isn't worth it.

I don't call you a hater; I actually agree with you.  Hurts benefitted from an easy schedule and a great offensive line - but, you can't underestimate the impact of losing your OC and DC AND a boatload of talent from the defense via FA.  That defense played very well for them last year and rarely put the Eagles O in a tough spot of having to play come back football. I think they are going to struggle mightily, especially early as all the new parts on defense gel.  We'll see how good he is next year without a defense to lean on.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Llevron said:

I really hope we are just smart enough as an organization to watch and learn from these deals. I feel like it should be obvious.....but, you know. 

Get a real GM and I think we will - hopefully the Harris group will have a plan in place.  I have no doubt they will given Harris' success with turning the 76ers and the Devils around in short order.  Bring 'em on in and let's get going!  I'm actually really excited for the process to unfold.

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

If Hurts isn't worth it then who is? He was a tier 1 QB all year and before he got hurt was right in the MVP discussion with Mahomes. If you don't pay him then you're not paying anyone.

I think the issue is that this was his first good season - so see if he can repeat it.  I'm skeptical that he can, especially without the defense and a new OC to work with.

2 hours ago, Simmsy said:

Yeah the franchise qb situation is a mess for a cap system with 53 players. Union probably needs to look at position caps to protect the majority.

Still though with Hurts you pay him before youre 100% sure and you save. I mean he got you to the super bowl...hes not a longshot. Its gambling though...gotta play to win the jackpot

Edited by dunfer
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Simmsy said:

Sorry guys, call me a hater, but Hurts isn't worth it.

We paid Wentz $28mil last season. 

By the time the Eagles have to pay Hurts the salary cap will be significantly larger and they can just restructure his contract kicking the can further down the road. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Hurts broke records all year, while putting his team on his back and taking them to the superbowl, which they would have won if not for the defensive let down.

And you want to question the guys character? That's absurd. He got benched for Tua and cheered him on as much as anyone on the next play. He has every intangible you could want. He's why guys are resigning for less money and other players like Budha Baker are trying to go play in Philly.

I get hating on division players, but Hurts is legit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

9 hours ago, Mooka said:

By the time the Eagles have to pay Hurts the salary cap will be significantly larger and they can just restructure his contract kicking the can further down the road. 

The difference between a good front office and a mediocre one.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mooka said:

How is this even legal?   Why is the $255 million extension not counted in these numbers???

2 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

How is this even legal?   Why is the $255 million extension not counted in these numbers???

My guess is the 5th year he counts for like $60m, so they've been kicking the can down the road a bit... :rofl89:

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Few players on offense that may draw interest post draft :

RB Kareem Hunt

RB Jerick McKinnon

WR Sammy Watkins

OT Donovan Smith

OG Dalton Risner

We have virtually no cap space right now, although we could easily create some. I presume drafting an OT in the 1st or 2nd, and a Center prospect before Round 5 likely spells the end of Roullier. Similarly, drafting a TE fairly early could get Thomas cut as well. Those 2 moves would create the necessary cap space to sign a couple people post-draft, but money would still be tight.

• Thumb up 1

12 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

We have virtually no cap space right now, although we could easily create some. I presume drafting an OT in the 1st or 2nd, and a Center prospect before Round 5 likely spells the end of Roullier. Similarly, drafting a TE fairly early could get Thomas cut as well. Those 2 moves would create the necessary cap space to sign a couple people post-draft, but money would still be tight.

Jerick McKinnon was tremendous for KC this year, how is he still available? How do the Chiefs not bring him back?

Edited by kingdaddy
mistype
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

Oh its in there somewhere, his cap hits in 2027 and 2028 are probably huge. And again, by 2027 the salary cap will be bigger anyway. 

I'm assuming they added void years to his contract which spreads out the bonus money longer but not entirely sure. 

They can add another 4 or 5 fake or void years to his contract which spreads out all the bonus money over 10 years instead of 5. 

NFL salary cap feeling like the NBA these days. 

Edited by Mooka

11 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Oh its in there somewhere, his cap hits in 2027 and 2028 are probably huge. And again, by 2027 the salary cap will be bigger anyway. 

I'm assuming they added void years to his contract which spreads out the bonus money longer but not entirely sure. 

They can add another 4 or 5 fake or void years to his contract which spreads out all the bonus money over 10 years instead of 5. 

NFL salary cap feeling like the NBA these days. 

Pretty sure there is a limit of 5 years maximum in terms of bonus pro-rata, but yep in short the back end of the deal will be massive. Until they restructure in 2 years or so.

29 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I wouldn’t be overly concerned on our cap situation. Plenty of scope in there.

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

Jerick McKinnon was tremendous for KC this year, how is he still available? How do the Chiefs not bring him back?

He was. I'm sure his cap hit as a vet plus I had heard he has lost a step.

I am sure he is on Washington's speed dial if they don't get a receiving back in the draft

19 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

How is Dalton Risner still available? I thought he was the best offensive linemen available via FA?

Not sure what’s going on there. I think he was injured late in the season. But not to the extent of not getting a contract anywhere. Must be something amiss along the way.

8 hours ago, Mooka said:

I’m pretty sure the max for void years is 2.

You also have to be careful with voidable years.  If you cut/trade the player, the whole thing accelerates to the current year. 

Eventually, your cap is going to see all of the guaranteed money.