Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

That's my God Bro lol. Love to see it.

Anything you can say about his play, he is a better person.

Totally the kind of guy any org would love to bring into the fold.

Going to go see him play in person today and plan on talking all kinds of trash.

He will have a contingent here so expect him to be amped.

Did not realize he was from the area. Do you think he would want to come back home all else being equal?

2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Patrick Queen is absolutely balling out. He was hard to miss yesterday. If he escapes BAL he’d be someone to circle as a “premier” addition. Esp if our new FO comes from BAL

Roquan Smith's addition to the Baltimore D this year has freed Queen up and is going to make him a lot of money next year

Edited by DWinzit
Grammar correction
  • Like 2

Lucas had another strong game as a reserve.  I don't know why they did not put him at RT, I'm going to assume a swing tackle can play both. We have talked a lot about LT and the draft but the real weakness on this team was RT, C and LG.  What has not been discussed enough IMO was Ron's decision to cut Morgan Moses who has been a solid starter 35 miles to the north.  What does the RT class in free agency look like?  

5 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Lucas had another strong game as a reserve.  I don't know why they did not put him at RT, I'm going to assume a swing tackle can play both. We have talked a lot about LT and the draft but the real weakness on this team was RT, C and LG.  What has not been discussed enough IMO was Ron's decision to cut Morgan Moses who has been a solid starter 35 miles to the north.  What does the RT class in free agency look like?  

Fully agree with you. One of the big screwups this year was not letting Lucas play RT and moving Wylie to LG, especially after Charles got hurt.

The only RTs worth pursuing in FA are Mike Onwenu and Trent Brown of the Pats. Some will say Jonah Williams but he sucks and will be overpaid due to his first round pedigree. This is, in my opinion, the deepest RT draft ever and we should look to find the solution with our 2nd round pick because we are almost guaranteed a good RT prospect at that pick.

I wouldn’t be mad if they signed Onwenu though because he can also play LG

48 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

What about Tee Higgins? Him and Terry (no offense Jahan) would be "scary" with Caleb Williams throwing them the ball. 

We really need a big X and maybe it is worth it for us to overpay Higgins and give him the top 5 WR money he is looking for. Despite the age, I do prefer Mike Evans if he was open to coming here. I think he will be a little cheaper and he is a better deep threat. The guy is also a real leader and it would help to have a first ballot Hall of Famer in the locker room

4 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Patrick Queen is absolutely balling out. He was hard to miss yesterday. If he escapes BAL he’d be someone to circle as a “premier” addition. Esp if our new FO comes from BAL

He struggled a lot at green dot LB before Smith got there. I remembered he had like a 30 PFF rating in 2021. We need a green dot type as we already have a Queen type in Jamin

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

I like Tee Higgins a lot. However he has been injured constantly this season. Maybe it's a fluke, not sure.

Seems to me, based on what many on this site have reported, it's a pretty WR deep draft so maybe that would make more sense over paying a ton for Higgins? 

It'll be interesting to see how the new regime spends all of that cap money this winter....get Allen, Payne and Terry some help so they can see the playoffs again. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Seems to me, based on what many on this site have reported, it's a pretty WR deep draft so maybe that would make more sense over paying a ton for Higgins? 

It'll be interesting to see how the new regime spends all of that cap money this winter....get Allen, Payne and Terry some help so they can see the playoffs again. 

I feel the bust rate is higher in the NFL for these big X receiver types than the slot guys and the Z types, probably because many of the big X types in college are behind their peers on the technical aspects of the game. I would be fine with trying to solve this need in FA vs gambling on a 2nd or 3rd round rookie. Solving the big X spot is important because it would allow Terry to play more Z and slot where he is better equipped and would provide a boost with run blocking

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

20 hours ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

I like Tee Higgins a lot. However he has been injured constantly this season. Maybe it's a fluke, not sure.

With a new FO coming in, there's a chance we clean house completely. Wonder if we would consider trading Terry for a 1st to someone like the Chiefs, let him go compete, and replace him with a FA WR + Draft pick. Idk if we would go get Tee Higgins to replace Terry. But if we are analytically minded, it would make sense to trade Terry for draft picks and use that salary to replace him with a free WR. Seems like a bit of a Madden move to me, and it would also be something that would usually be frowned upon for team chemistry, but if we are starting over completely, the FO would have some leeway to make moves like this. 

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

With a new FO coming in, there's a chance we clean house completely. Wonder if we would consider trading Terry for a 1st to someone like the Chiefs, let him go compete, and replace him with a FA WR + Draft pick. Idk if we would go get Tee Higgins to replace Terry. But if we are analytically minded, it would make sense to trade Terry for draft picks and use that salary to replace him with a free WR. Seems like a bit of a Madden move to me, and it would also be something that would usually be frowned upon for team chemistry, but if we are starting over completely, the FO would have some leeway to make moves like this. 

If we were to trade Terry and Jon Allen and cut Leno and Logan Thomas (I'd say certainly 2, if not 3 or all 4 of these moves are likely). 

We'd have $120m in cap space with rollover in 2024, with another $185m available in 2025. 

Matt Miller seems to think Allen gets traded after the season via a trade request. Could be part of a package for #1. We'll see.

27 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Payne to the Bears, that’s my call.

Let's leave it up to Mike Macdonald or Bill B to determine who stays on that side of the ball.

A solid rebound season for the defense could be led by Payne and Allen. When it comes to allocating funds, investing in two guys you're familiar with might be the way to go. Considering Allen's age and the possibility that he might prefer to move on, it might be more prudent to part ways with him. This move would eliminate any potential resistance to the new regime's plans.

• Thumb up 1

I'm curious on how Washington might want to address its question-mark at center.

1. Larsen was intended as more of a backup to Gates and had to fill in because Gates wasn't performing well enough, and Stromberg was injured. Also, Larsen's injury history make me wonder if he can be available as a starter for a full season. 

2.  The coaches finally came to the realization that Gates performs 'better' at Guard than Center, but could at least fill in at center again,  after Larsen and Stromberg both went out with knee injuries.  His contract seems to indicate he might be around in 2024 (unless Washington is okay with a $5.1 million dead cap hit) but probably not the best answer for starting Center.

3.  Stromberg wasn't really being considered as a starting center in 2023, and in fact seemed to be tested more at the guard position along with some backup center practice.  He did get in 4 games as a fill in Center before his knee injury vs the Giants ended his season, so that's something to build on  However, there may still be a lot of unanswered questions about him in a full-time role as center, plus one more -- how well does he come back from his knee injury in 2024?  

Considering the importance of having a decent center for a well-performing O-line, I am surprised there hasn't been more discussion on who Washington might try to obtain, either by the draft, free agency, or trade. Perhaps members of this message board might have some candidates (or off-season tactics) in mind?  Or do you believe Washington already has its answer for starting center on the current roster?

Edited by Wyvern
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Wyvern said:

I'm curious on how Washington might want to address its question-mark at center.

1. Larsen was intended as more of a backup to Gates and had to fill in because Gates wasn't performing well enough, and Stromberg was injured. Also, Larsen's injury history make me wonder if he can be available as a starter for a full season. 

2.  The coaches finally came to the realization that Gates performs 'better' at Guard than Center, but could at least fill in at center again,  after Larsen and Stromberg both went out with knee injuries.  His contract seems to indicate he might be around in 2024 (unless Washington is okay with a $5.1 million dead cap hit) but probably not the best answer for starting Center.

3.  Stromberg wasn't really being considered as a starting center in 2023, and in fact seemed to be tested more at the guard position along with some backup center practice.  He did get in 4 games as a fill in Center before his knee injury vs the Giants ended his season, so that's something to build on  However, there may still be a lot of unanswered questions about him in a full-time role as center, plus one more -- how well does he come back from his knee injury in 2024?  

Considering the importance of having a decent center for a well-performing O-line, I am surprised there hasn't been more discussion on who Washington might try to obtain, either by the draft, free agency, or trade. Perhaps members of this message board might have some candidates (or off-season tactics) in mind?  Or do you believe Washington already has its answer for starting center on the current roster?

My target in FA that's a little under the radar is Matt Hennessy, Atlanta. Can play C or G. Only 26. Real nice, solid player. Can play in a zone run scheme, which is where i'd expect we will go. Won't cost a ton of money. 

I would love to sign him, along with a higher priced G (like Robert Hunt). If you end up getting a good C in the draft (like Jackson Powers-Johnson, for example), Hennessy becomes the backup to all three interior spots. If not, he is a good starter at C. 

As a signing it would remind me of Wes Schweitzer, who we also signed from Atlanta. I thought that was one of our best FA moves of recent years, given cost to production. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

If we were to trade Terry and Jon Allen and cut Leno and Logan Thomas (I'd say certainly 2, if not 3 or all 4 of these moves are likely). 

We'd have $120m in cap space with rollover in 2024, with another $185m available in 2025. 

Matt Miller seems to think Allen gets traded after the season via a trade request. Could be part of a package for #1. We'll see.

Bears need a DT and Wr if they trade they will ask for one of these three Allan, Payne, or Terry. I think they take Payne he youngest and they can then draft MHJ.

Edited by Redskins 2021

12 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

My target in FA that's a little under the radar is Matt Hennessy, Atlanta. Can play C or G. Only 26. Real nice, solid player. Can play in a zone run scheme, which is where i'd expect we will go. Won't cost a ton of money. 

I would love to sign him, along with a higher priced G (like Robert Hunt). If you end up getting a good C in the draft (like Jackson Powers-Johnson, for example), Hennessy becomes the backup to all three interior spots. If not, he is a good starter at C. 

As a signing it would remind me of Wes Schweitzer, who we also signed from Atlanta. I thought that was one of our best FA moves of recent years, given cost to production. 

Gates to Hennessey is a lateral move. I don’t see the point

5 minutes ago, method man said:

Gates to Hennessey is a lateral move. I don’t see the point

Disagree. Never saw any value in Gates.

Hennessy is a good player.  He'd be in a different role than Gates and at a different price. 

Edited by Rufus T Firefly
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Bears need a DT and Wr if they trade they will ask for one of these three Allan, Payne, or Terry. I think they take Payne he youngest and they can then draft MHJ.

Well, if we traded Payne along with #2 and a 2nd rounder for #1 to take Caleb Williams, and Allen also wants to be traded, we would then need to move DT to the top of the list of off-season needs. Allen could get us a 2nd potentially.

But then you'd be drafting 1/2/2/3/3 just like you are now, except you'd likely need to add a couple DTs in the off-season since Mathis and Ridgeway leave the cupboard bare.

Certainly something we could pursue. But I think I'd prefer to draft Maye at #2 and hold onto Payne and trade Allen for a 2nd. Drafting Maye then having 2/2/2/3/3 and a need to just add a veteran rotational piece at DT is a more preferable option. But lots of time to go.

There would be some poetic justice/irony though to have gone from Chase/Payne/Allen/Sweat as an all-start but underperforming DL unit being the backbone of the Rivera era to NONE of those players within 1 year. But if we are going full re-set, everything would be on the table and a fresh start on the DL would be the quickest way to bury the Snyder/Rivera era.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Disagree. Never saw any value in Gates. Hennessy is a good player. 

Then why did he lose his starting job in 22 as the starting center? Although he came into camp as the starter at LG, it was symbolic as he was the veteran but Bergeron was going to overtake him. Hennessey is what he is - a swing reserve OL who is a good run blocker who struggles in pass pro

3 minutes ago, method man said:

Then why did he lose his starting job in 22 as the starting center? Although he came into camp as the starter at LG, it was symbolic as he was the veteran but Bergeron was going to overtake him. Hennessey is what he is - a swing reserve OL who is a good run blocker who struggles in pass pro

And as a swing receive who can start if he as to is exactly what I'd want him for, 

He's been a very good run blocker. He struggled in his first two starts and was benched in 22 for another good C option, but still ended up playing a lot and playing better.

McKinney is my guy at safety in the draft and we need one.  He's still young and a captain.  And I read NY likely lets him go.  He was one of my favorite players in that draft.  I watched him closely live in an Alabama game and was impressed with how he directed traffic.

Keim loves to say that a problem with the backfield is no one there directs well or is a good communicator.  I know Curl's dad thinks his son deserves this massive contract judging by his social media posts.  But for a dude who doesn't do turnovers and isn't much of a communicator, I don't think I'd break the bank for him.  When ESPN asked personnel guys to rank their top safeties, Curl didn't even break the top 25.  Don't get me wrong, he's a good player but i am not breaking the bank for him.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2024-free-agent-rankings-free-agency

43. S XAVIER MCKINNEY, NEW YORK GIANTS

McKinney’s coverage grades as a free safety (81.4) and in the box (79.4) are top-10 marks among safeties in 2023, and there is a big enough sample size of box play despite his general deployment as a deep player. Over the past three seasons, McKinney’s 7.0 yards allowed per target in coverage ranks top-25 among safeties, and his 17 combined interceptions and forced incompletions put him in the top 20.

While he could make more plays at or near the line of scrimmage, he rarely whiffs on open-field tackles. The 24-year-old has missed just 7.8% of his tackle attempts over his career, 11th-best among 89 safeties with at least 100 tackles over the past four seasons, making him a reliable enough last line of defense.

Top free agent comparison: Jahleel Addae, 2017
Player Coverage grade w/ no pressure Cov. grade on throws in ≤ 3s Forced incompletion rate Run-defense grade APY as % of Cap at signing
Xavier McKinney 73.4 76.4 9.3% 66.1 ?
Jahleel Addae 71.4 77.3 7.7% 69.5 3.4%

*All data in tables reflects two years prior to UFA contract signing

Contract Projection: Three years, $24.75 million ($8.25 million per year), $17 million total guaranteed

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

McKinney is my guy at safety in the draft and we need one.  He's still young and a captain.  And I read NY likely lets him go.  He was one of my favorite players in that draft.  I watched him closely live in an Alabama game and was impressed with how he directed traffic.

Keim loves to say that a problem with the backfield is no one there directs well or is a good communicator.  I know Curl's dad thinks his son deserves this massive contract judging by his social media posts.  But for a dude who doesn't do turnovers and isn't much of a communicator, I don't think I'd break the bank for him.  When ESPN asked personnel guys to rank their top safeties, Curl didn't even break the top 25.  Don't get me wrong, he's a good player but i am not breaking the bank for him.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2024-free-agent-rankings-free-agency

43. S XAVIER MCKINNEY, NEW YORK GIANTS

McKinney’s coverage grades as a free safety (81.4) and in the box (79.4) are top-10 marks among safeties in 2023, and there is a big enough sample size of box play despite his general deployment as a deep player. Over the past three seasons, McKinney’s 7.0 yards allowed per target in coverage ranks top-25 among safeties, and his 17 combined interceptions and forced incompletions put him in the top 20.

While he could make more plays at or near the line of scrimmage, he rarely whiffs on open-field tackles. The 24-year-old has missed just 7.8% of his tackle attempts over his career, 11th-best among 89 safeties with at least 100 tackles over the past four seasons, making him a reliable enough last line of defense.

Top free agent comparison: Jahleel Addae, 2017
Player Coverage grade w/ no pressure Cov. grade on throws in ≤ 3s Forced incompletion rate Run-defense grade APY as % of Cap at signing
Xavier McKinney 73.4 76.4 9.3% 66.1 ?
Jahleel Addae 71.4 77.3 7.7% 69.5 3.4%

*All data in tables reflects two years prior to UFA contract signing

Contract Projection: Three years, $24.75 million ($8.25 million per year), $17 million total guaranteed

We absolutely need a leader with great communication skills in the backfield and at LB. We have been missing that for a number of years although it felt like Holcomb was just coming into his own on that at the end of last year.

I really hope they focus on a DB, LB, Edge and OL in FA. Bringing in a big contributor at each of those positions would be huge moving into the draft.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Is he implying that we’d be trading JA and mid round picks for the #1 overall pick, giving us #1 AND #2 overall?

That would be crazy and I don’t know how we’d pass on that?