Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

If we dump Young or Sweat for some crappy day two return, we have to spend another first just to have reasonable hope to make a lateral move to replace them.  How is this not part of the resource management calculation?  The Eagles lost Javon Hargrave and had to spend a top ten pick to replace him.  The 49ers traded Deforest Buckner only to immediately replace him with a 14th overall pick in Javon Kinlaw, who is a bust, and eventually have to spend big to replace him with Hargrave.

These are not cases of good asset management that we should be copying.  You don't get better by dumping or letting your best homegrown players walk, only to spend the money you should have given them on some mediocre high dollar free agent on the OL like Mike McGlinchey or Jawaan Taylor.  If you really want to improve the OL, then you should be using those first round picks you now have to spend on edge on OTs.

I'd like to hear some specifics from folks who think we should trade Chase and/or Montez.  Who do you all think we should give their money to instead?

To me if we are going to pay 4 D-Lineman top tier money we need that unit to dominate.  And they are not dominating.  Spend the money on O-Line (albeit, there are no good free agents this year), TE, LB CB, WR.

I do see your point.  I looked at the O-Line free agents and this class is not good.  Its worse than last year.  O-Line realistically has to be addressed in the draft.  If we don't get offered a 2nd rounder or better for Sweat I would feel I had to move him because you are right we could resign them both.  But you don't want to have some capital in a good, but not great unit.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, philibusters said:

To me if we are going to pay 4 D-Lineman top tier money we need that unit to dominate.  And they are not dominating.  Spend the money on O-Line (albeit, there are no good free agents this year), TE, LB CB, WR.

This is where I stand now as well. I have no issue with paying guys at the same position but you gotta produce. 

This "vaunted" DL simply disappears way too often in big games against quality opponents for me to justify keeping them together for longer. 

We need a reset on defense.

• Like 2

Just now, Warhead36 said:

This is where I stand now as well. I have no issue with paying guys at the same position but you gotta produce. 

This "vaunted" DL simply disappears way too often in big games against quality opponents for me to justify keeping them together for longer. 

We need a reset on defense.

They have produced.  Chase and Montez already have 11.5 sacks between them and Chase is near the top of the league in basically every pressure statistic.  They have been great this season, and the way we are supposed to operate is that when guys produce big seasons for us, they get paid.  That's the deal. It's the whole reason we stupidly declined Chase's fifth year option.  Why is the deal suddenly changing for them?

Guys earn contracts based on what they do as individuals.  You don't make decisions about what to pay them based on what their teammates or their coaches are doing.  You base the decision on what they themselves have done and are capable of doing.

Trading Montez or Chase at the deadline in a year where they are playing well seems so far off of Ron's philosophy and MO that I can only suspect that this is being driven by ownership.  And that is unacceptable to me if true.  If it turns out that Harris is forcing Ron to make changes to his roster midseason, then I don't want to see anyone giving Harris a pass for this. That kind of direct meddling with a roster midseason is absolutely never OK under any circumstances from ownership.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I wonder how much interest Young will still garner. He was completely MIA yesterday and has a history of no showing vs quality opponents. And apparently teams are terrified his knee might blow up at any time...

I understand he is a gamewrecker but I see any team coming to an agreement with him being extremely difficult due to the knee. He is going to want a long term deal with a lot of guaranteed money and teams are going to want to give him a short term deal/low guaranteed money due to the knee. Let us not be the team dealing with the BS and let's trade him too.

Our downside case here is that there are a number of starting caliber mid level pass rushers who are FAs who will cost half or less than these guys - Epenesa, Armstrong, Z. Smith, Floyd, Davenport, etc. Can scoop two of these guys up if needed

Keim with Nicki from the WP on a podcast said three teams have interest in Sweat. Interest in Chase not that hot.  

Sheehan this morning doubled down on what Russell and Finlay have hinted which is there are off the field issues involving Chase. But he wasn’t specific.

Sheehan is a big Chase guy generally 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Going Commando said:

They have produced.  Chase and Montez already have 11.5 sacks between them and Chase is near the top of the league in basically every pressure statistic.  They have been great this season, and the way we are supposed to operate is that when guys produce big seasons for us, they get paid.  That's the deal. It's the whole reason we stupidly declined Chase's fifth year option.  Why is the deal suddenly changing for them?

Guys earn contracts based on what they do as individuals.  You don't make decisions about what to pay them based on what their teammates or their coaches are doing.  You base the decision on what they themselves have done and are capable of doing.

Trading Montez or Chase at the deadline in a year where they are playing well seems so far off of Ron's philosophy and MO that I can only suspect that this is being driven by ownership.  And that is unacceptable to me if true.  If it turns out that Harris is forcing Ron to make changes to his roster midseason, then I don't want to see anyone giving Harris a pass for this. That kind of direct meddling with a roster midseason is absolutely never OK under any circumstances from ownership.

Their sack totals are inflated by some of the really bad teams they've played. They consistently no show against good teams or in big moments.

8 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Under any circumstances?  If Harris has already decided that Ron will be fired at the end of the season then it makes sense to set up a new GM for success.  Having said that, I hope Harris has at least discussed this with some GM consultant.

• Thumb up 1

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim with Nicki from the WP on a podcast said three teams have interest in Sweat. Interest in Chase not that hot.  

Sheehan this morning doubled down on what Russell and Finlay have hinted which is there are off the field issues involving Chase. But he wasn’t specific.

Sheehan is a big Chase guy generally 

Loverro has as well. Those + the stability of his knee make me think we don’t want to be the sucker handing him a long term deal

Chase did nothing yesterday.....got stood up or pushed out of the play consistently. Montez had one sack 9 hours after Hurts dropped back. Trade Sweat for the third and possible 2nd.  Next man up.....Toohill seems to have the best motor out of all of them. He has 4 sacks on a tenth of the plays they have. Let's play the rookies and see where we stand. Season seems to be slipping away anyway. JMHO.

• Like 2

To quote Keim from two off-seasons ago on RR's handling of the OL: "botched". Fast forward to this off-season. The strongest weaknesses on an already woefully subpar OL are the pieces RR thought it best to add. It's unbelievable 

Edited by skinzplay
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Their sack totals are inflated by some of the really bad teams they've played. They consistently no show against good teams or in big moments.

Ya wasn't Young's two sack game last week against a replacement dude off of the couch. All I saw yesterday was him losing contain and/or hugging the opposition.

• Like 1

Falcons have an extra 3rd or 4th rounder coming in from the Calvin Ridley trade. I would be pushing them in a trade for more than just a 3rd.

1 minute ago, rumplestilskin said:

Ya wasn't Young's two sack game last week against a replacement dude off of the couch. All I saw yesterday was him losing contain and/or hugging the opposition.

Playing safe to not get injured. Ship him out too.

• Like 2