Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

Sorry, I suspect the Washington FO (in transition) will simply resort to combing the waiver wires for any new O-line talent.

BTW, if Leno gets injured, who steps in?  ...Lucas? 

Edited by Wyvern

1 minute ago, Wyvern said:

Sorry, I suspect the Washington FO (in transition) will comb the waiver wires for any new O-line talent.

BTW, if Leno gets injured, who steps in?  ...Lucas? 

I think it has to be Lucas, unless they think Daniels can do it.  But Daniels needs to bulk up.  At sub 300 pounds it's not going to work for him.

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think it has to be Lucas, unless they think Daniels can do it.  But Daniels needs to bulk up.  At sub 300 pounds it's not going to work for him.

I'd be shocked if Daniels ever plays tackle with those trex arms.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'd be shocked if Daniels ever plays tackle with those trex arms.

I was assuming before the draft the dude is a guard.  290 pounds and change and 33 inch arms.  But apparently, they want to see if he can do it.  I saw one beat guy defend the move by saying Leno also has 33 inch arms but that simply isn't true.

Cosmi is at 33 but they are moving him inside.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thumb up 2

From what I saw from all his appearances in actual games, Charles would not be a good left tackle.  That's the last O-lineman I would want protecting Howell's blindside.

Edited by Wyvern

• 2 weeks later...

The Giants signed James Robinson to try and insulate themselves against a potential Saquon hold out.  Doubt it would work, they need to go ahead and pay Saquon.

Meanwhile James Robinson is now on his fourth team by his fourth season.  I remember the analytics minded folks assuring me of how stupid the Jaguars were for drafting Travis Etienne because they already had Robinson.  Perhaps running backs really do still matter, and having an extremely talented weapon at the position is still a huge benefit to an offense?

2 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

The Giants signed James Robinson to try and insulate themselves against a potential Saquon hold out.  Doubt it would work, they need to go ahead and pay Saquon.

Meanwhile James Robinson is now on his fourth team by his fourth season.  I remember the analytics minded folks assuring me of how stupid the Jaguars were for drafting Travis Etienne because they already had Robinson.  Perhaps running backs really do still matter, and having an extremely talented weapon at the position is still a huge benefit to an offense?

The Patriots gave up quick on Robinson after signing him.  He looked good before the ACL.  I'm with you GC (hence why I was such a Bijan fan in the draft).  RBs are becoming super undervalued.  You can't just run JAGS out there.  Part of the reason our offense constantly stalled in the redzone during Jay's heyday despite having an all-world OL (Trent, Scherff, Moses) & skill (Jackson, Reed, Garcon, Crowder) was that we had stiffs like Rob Kelley at RB.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

The Patriots gave up quick on Robinson after signing him.  He looked good before the ACL.  I'm with you GC (hence why I was such a Bijan fan in the draft).  RBs are becoming super undervalued.  You can't just run JAGS out there.  Part of the reason our offense constantly stalled in the redzone during Jay's heyday despite having an all-world OL (Trent, Scherff, Moses) & skill (Jackson, Reed, Garcon, Crowder) was that we had stiffs like Rob Kelley at RB.  

I've been also good taking RBs high in the draft including Etienne.  J. Gibbs is cut from a similar cloth and might be even better.

I do think going top 5 for a RB might be a little rich though in Barkley's case especially considering how loaded that draft was at that spot or at least seemed to be at that time.  Arguably Chubb was the best RB in that draft with the power of hindsight.  i do think the Giants would be somewhat lost without Barkley.  He is their offense. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

The Giants offered Barkley a pretty impressive contract mid season and then before they offered DJ one. Barkley is the one who ****ed up getting paid.

I feel bad for guys who get drafted in the late rounds and have to play for squat and don't get to hit FA until they're 28/29 and aren't getting a big deal if any at all and never get paid.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

The Giants offered Barkley a pretty impressive contract mid season and then before they offered DJ one. Barkley is the one who ****ed up getting paid.

I feel bad for guys who get drafted in the late rounds and have to play for squat and don't get to hit FA until they're 28/29 and aren't getting a big deal if any at all and never get paid.

Just went and read up on his situation, I hadn't realized he turned that down. 12 to 14 million? Not sure of the specifics, but if that is the case then he ****ed up in a big way. Hopefully he doesn't pull a L. Bell and end up totally screwed.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

rookie contracts for later years guys max out at four years which means the oldest someone shoud be at free agency is 26

3 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Just went and read up on his situation, I hadn't realized he turned that down. 12 to 14 million? Not sure of the specifics, but if that is the case then he ****ed up in a big way. Hopefully he doesn't pull a L. Bell and end up totally screwed.

I empathize with the plight of running backs and how undervalued and under appreciated they've become but not when they're giants.

Hopefully he holds out and the tag gets rescinded and he goes to the afc.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Obviously having talent is better than not having talent.

But Robinson’s career was derailed by a torn Achilles. Even these days few guys are fully coming back from those. Foreman is a good example but it took him a bunch of years and a couple more teams before he got his legs under him again. 

So it’s hard to tell what Robinson would have been. Certainly wouldn’t be on his 4th team. 

3 hours ago, MrJL said:

rookie contracts for later years guys max out at four years which means the oldest someone shoud be at free agency is 26

I was reading a Henry tweet earlier talking about first rounders, their 5th year getting picked up and then going for a second contract and just mixed it up with another tweet.

On 7/22/2023 at 9:09 AM, redskinss said:

I empathize with the plight of running backs and how undervalued and under appreciated they've become but not when they're giants.

I've read all those articles lately on ESPN etc about the poor RB's and they really make you feel bad for the overworked/underpaid guys until you return to reality where these dudes are still making 10+ Mil a year for playing a game and people all over the country are overworked getting paid peanuts in comparison. It's kinda funny to read that BS.

Though I did think that guys like Alfred Morris did actually get screwed over after 3 straight 1000 yard seasons. He could have had it much worse. 

Barkley for instance couldn't stay healthy any year until last year. Now he expects McCaffrey money, another guy who hasn't been healthy much. 

It's kind of cool though that it's the Giants. They paid the QB 40M a year who is straight garbage whenever Barkley isn't playing, then refused to get Barkley taken care of. I hope their offense falls apart lol. 

I was watching the Steelers deep dive (see link below) and they may be a good trade partner to try to pick up a O-Lineman.  Their fourth best guard is better on paper than our second guard.  The Steelers were very active in addressing their O-Line.  They returned all 5 starters from last year, but two of their starter from last year will move to the bench.  They drafted Broderick Jones.  He likely sends last year's starter, Dan Moore to the bench.   At Guard they signed two good ones, Isaac Semalo from the Eagles and Nate Herbig.   I am assuming Semalo starts, which sends last year's starter Kevin Dotson to the bench.  They have 3 starter quality players at Tackle (which in some way is ideal, Moore is to them what Lucas is to us, and four starter quality players at Guard.  In a trade, the player I would target is Kevin Dotson.  Kevin Dotson is on the last year of his rookie deal, the same as Shaddiq Charles.  I would probably offer Shaddiq Charles plus a 5th round pick for Dotson.  While Charles is ify as a starting guard, as a fourth guard, which he would be in Pittsburgh, he is solid, so Pittsburgh would keep its excellent depth and pick up a fifth.   Don't know if Pittsburgh would go for this but there are 4 deep there.  When you are 3 deep you may not want to trade your third guy unless another team is willing to overpay because that 3rd guy is likely to play.  When you are 4 deep it seems like a luxury so you might as well pick up some draft capital.

I already mentioned it in this thread about a month ago, but the Cardinals were the other team that could be a trade partner.  They have 4 tackles DJ Humphries, Kelvin Beachum, Paris Johnson Jr., and Josh Jones. Thought they are going to start the rookie Paris Johnson Jr. at G so they somewhat solved how to make use of their pieces.   Beachum is the guy I would target there.

Edited by philibusters
  • Like 4

On 7/22/2023 at 9:09 AM, redskinss said:

Looks like he just reupped with the Giants , 1 year deal  (worth up to) $11 million

Edited by Chris 44