Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

13 hours ago, oraphus said:

Mahomes better grow eyes on the back of his head... this guy is a turnstile 

Nah he’s solid enough.

Mahomes likely won’t care. Part of the fun running around, he’d get bored otherwise I bet.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, oraphus said:

Donovan Smith is interesting.   In his first six years he never had a PFF grade lower than 62 or higher than 72.   A very average starter but consistent.   Then in 2021 he had a career year where he had a PFF grade of 83 and made the pro bowl.   Was it a one year fluke?  Maybe because last year he had the lowest PFF grade of his career 58.   I would say Smith is terrible, but he did have a pretty disappointing year last year.   I think Kansas City is thinking the he probably is somewhere in between the 2021 and 2022 version of himself, maybe back to what he was the first six years of his career.

Pretty sure 12th May, there or there abouts anyway, was the date that we deferred the contract payments too with the likes of Payne and Brissett. Hopefully we also see some generally news coming through on roster/contract moves soon. 

• Like 1

Cap Space Update post-June 1st cut of Roullier:

2023: $10.8m

2024: $99.3m

Doesn't include the draft class for this year yet. But it still includes some other vets who will likely get released. I wouldn't be surprised if we roll some $$ into next year when all is said and done.

Assuming Norwell is next, we'll be looking at:

2023: $13.1m

2024: $101.4m

Per OTC, our rookie pool will account for $3.2m on the Top 51 for salary cap purposes. So assuming roster spot 52 and 53 are minimum salaries, that's $5.2m in cap space for a 53-man roster. I'd imagine we go into the season with $8-9m in cap space, with room to carry over unless we target a top cut candidate, which we will have room to accomodate. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, oraphus said:

Yep his play fell off a cliff last year. Was supposedly dealing w personal issues

Not a character guy but Isaiah Wynn at $5M on a 1 year deal would be interesting 

Availability is the best ability strikes again.

We are not any worse without Chase R as we were not any better with him considering he was a rarity on the field.

Hope the best for him wherever he goes, he is an asset when healthy.

Whoever ends up ahead in the QB battle might impact the C spot. Even tho the rook did it in college, I could see the value in an NFL vet manning the C-spot to help a young QB and call protections, but you can gamble a bit and play the upside game w/ a vet QB.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Availability is the best ability strikes again.

We are not any worse without Chase R as we were not any better with him considering he was a rarity on the field.

Hope the best for him wherever he goes, he is an asset when healthy.

Whoever ends up ahead in the QB battle might impact the C spot. Even tho the rook did it in college, I could see the value in an NFL vet manning the C-spot to help a young QB and call protections, but you can gamble a bit and play the upside game w/ a vet QB.

Seems pretty clear they signed Gates to start at C. Stromberg and will likely start as the backup at that spot - history tells us injuries along the line means he’s likely to get an opportunity to play at some point this season.

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Sad to see Roullier go - good player but just could not stay on the field. Your best ability is your availability!

Agreed, good player and clearly well thought of. Restructured his deal late last year to help on our cap situation. Just the right time to move on.

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Seems pretty clear they signed Gates to start at C. Stromberg and will likely start as the backup at that spot - history tells us injuries along the line means he’s likely to get an opportunity to play at some point this season.

EB has subsequently snagged Stromberg to start C in my opinion. 

Edited by Est.1974

44 minutes ago, MrJL said:

wish Norwell was let go at the same time

would love it if something happened where we brought Chase back at a cheaper price

Wonder if we wait on Norwell until seeing what how the young guys look in camp… there’s a very real possibility he is still the best LG on the roster.

Would be interested in bringing Roullier back at a much lower cost (a 1 year prove it deal), though if I were him, I’d hope to land somewhere without a young C (with potential) on the roster.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Wonder if we wait on Norwell until seeing what how the young guys look in camp… there’s a very real possibility he is still the best LG on the roster.

Would be interested in bringing Roullier back at a much lower cost (a 1 year prove it deal), though if I were him, I’d hope to land somewhere without a young C (with potential) on the roster.

I'm not sure that's possible. Because Gates or Wylie at LG with Samberg or Larsen at C or Lucas at RT would be better than us playing Norwell

17 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

I really think we are waiting to see what expensive veteran guard gets cut and if we can get them on a one year prove it deal. I just don’t think Chris Paul or Charles has shown enough to be confident they start at LG with no challenge.

Risner is already sat there.

If Stromberg is the guy out of the gate, then Gates can play LG and compete with Paul and Charles there. And he’s probably gonna win that. And if he doesn’t that means Paul or Charles has stepped up. And Gates would be a high priced valuable backup at several IOL spots. 

I’d still be interested in seeing what Isaiah Wynn could do here at RT. Kick Wylie to LG. A 1 year prove it deal and if he pans out he’s still like 25. Extend him and put him a RT longterm and cut Leno next off season and focus on LT in the draft (assuming Howell hits) 

Or you just wait til 2024 FA cycle to land a LT if one hits the market. Then draft a R1/2 RT.  But the OTs on the roster right now are not longterm answers. I guess Wylie could be. But I’m still waiting to see if he lives up to the $$ we gave him, which admittedly wasn’t much. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

42 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

If Stromberg is the guy out of the gate, then Gates can play LG and compete with Paul and Charles there. And he’s probably gonna win that. And if he doesn’t that means Paul or Charles has stepped up. And Gates would be a high priced valuable backup at several IOL spots. 

I’d still be interested in seeing what Isaiah Wynn could do here at RT. Kick Wylie to LG. A 1 year prove it deal and if he pans out he’s still like 25. Extend him and put him a RT longterm and cut Leno next off season and focus on LT in the draft (assuming Howell hits) 

Or you just wait til 2024 FA cycle to land a LT if one hits the market. Then draft a R1/2 RT.  But the OTs on the roster right now are not longterm answers. I guess Wylie could be. But I’m still waiting to see if he lives up to the $$ we gave him, which admittedly wasn’t much. 

I agree with most of this but I’m not sure if Gates is actually a good option at guard. I think he sort of sucked there. If he’s out starting G, we aren’t in a good spot. If a RT ends up becoming available, I would even prefer picking one up and moving Wylie to LG vs Gates.

Bottom line, I think this coaching staff is overrating their own guys and not trying hard enough to upgrade the oline.

• Thumb down 1

23 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

I agree with most of this but I’m not sure if Gates is actually a good option at guard. I think he sort of sucked there. If he’s out starting G, we aren’t in a good spot. If a RT ends up becoming available, I would even prefer picking one up and moving Wylie to LG vs Gates.

Bottom line, I think this coaching staff is overrating their own guys and not trying hard enough to upgrade the oline.

I mean, sure. 

Clearly they went all-in on D and now we get to see whether they are elite. A year to see who else gets paid. 

I can see Cosmi being able to play RG.

Signed a RT.

Drafted a starting C. 

Signed a LG (or C).

Leno is league average.  

Daniels is really interesting and a wildcard at LT in 1-2 years to take over for Leno. I expect a rebound year from Leno.

If Howell is the guy, you probably go OT with the first rounder next year. Other options would be DE, LB or CB. My money is OL. 

5 hours ago, MrJL said:

I'm not sure that's possible. Because Gates or Wylie at LG with Samberg or Larsen at C or Lucas at RT would be better than us playing Norwell

As you allude to, there are so many possible permutation (due to the position flex for a number of guys), who knows what happens.  And I certainly hope you’re right.  With that said, there are two reasons I think it’s a possibility - 1) we don’t have a proven LG, and 2) Norwell is still on the team.  If there’s no chance he starts, I’d have thought they’d have cut him by now… though maybe they’re just waiting for June 1.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silvernon said:

I mean, sure. 

Clearly they went all-in on D and now we get to see whether they are elite. A year to see who else gets paid. 

I can see Cosmi being able to play RG.

Signed a RT.

Drafted a starting C. 

Signed a LG (or C).

Leno is league average.  

Daniels is really interesting and a wildcard at LT in 1-2 years to take over for Leno. I expect a rebound year from Leno.

If Howell is the guy, you probably go OT with the first rounder next year. Other options would be DE, LB or CB. My money is OL. 

I admire your optimism. Hopefully it works out that way. I have my doubts.

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

I think John Keim had mentioned that Norwell and possibly Fuller might get released but Fuller's release again was less of a possibility.  

Yes. He mentioned Norwell is a goner but seemed to imply Fuller and Thomas are safe. At least you get a comp pick for Fuller after this year, assuming he is half decent this season

• Like 1

Fuller is not injured or awful enough to be outright cut. He’s an average NFL corner with stretches of above average (and below average) play. Volatile like all corners. He’s 28. Makes a decent amount but if they really wanted him gone he has too much value to just release. Hell either be traded for a mid/late pick, walk in FA for a potential comp, or get signed to an extension to bring the # down.

I suspect nothing happens til ownership is resolved. 

• Like 1