Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

It's quite baffling to me that actually so many people want us to make a move for Ekeler or draft a RB in the first round. Our RB room is fine with Gibson, Robinson, whoever is RB3 and Curtis Samuel. Our run blocking, basically the single reason for a successful run game, was subpar and that ain't going to change with Ekeler or a first round RB.

Yes, Ekeler is also a great receiving threat from the backfield but it's not like our RBs are worthless on that front. The best way to help Howell and the offense in general is to shore up the O-line. We made some investments yesterday but there is still a lot of room for improvement. I'd much rather spend a late round pick and get Shaq Mason than spending a mid-round pick and get Austin Ekeler for a similar cap hit.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Reading all these posts about Austin Ekeler, are we actually trying to trade for him or is it just rumours?

Rumors, and we're not among the alledged suitors Link

The draft is a better place to find a RB IMO

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 1

No thanks on Ekeler. He’d require draft compensation and cap considerations.

I’d rather trade back in the first and see if we can get Jahmyr Gibbs. And I’m not too high on RB in the first (but I’m not totally against it).

Probably need to keep our eye on LB still. I’d keep my eye on Azeez.

After that it’s just the QB that I’d expect signings for.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

@JSSkinz

I was listening to JJ Halsell who was on Sheehan, didn't hear all of it.  But the part I did hear.

Signing bonuses is how cash rich owners make contracts more attractive.  The signing bonus is guaranteed money which is paid to the player right away but you can spread it over the life of the contract as to the cap hit.  Back when he worked for the team when they were cash rich they used it as a weapon to sign players because the players get so much money upfront.

Sometimes they'd do guaranteed upon injury which doesn't require the guaranteed money up front.  Roster bonuses, another way to spread the immediate money hit.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

I would really be impressed at the staff if they can restructure Roullier, Fuller, and Thomas’s contracts to free up some more space and land a good LB In addition to bringing back the mullet.  Lots of cap space next year also, so this “show me whatcha got so you can be rewarded “ is now on Gibson, Sweat, Curl, and Young.  

14 minutes ago, ultravin said:

I would really be impressed at the staff if they can restructure Roullier, Fuller, and Thomas’s contracts to free up some more space and land a good LB In addition to bringing back the mullet.  Lots of cap space next year also, so this “show me whatcha got so you can be rewarded “ is now on Gibson, Sweat, Curl, and Young.  

Thomas should be straight up cut. Dudes washed.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I wonder if that means they are done at QB with Heinicke and Ridder.  Jackson’s market is drying up.

They could trade Ridder to Baltimore in a hypothetical Jackson deal (I think Lamar is back in Baltimore personally).

• Like 1

• Riggo-toni changed the title to The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... Payne, Gates, RT Wylie, LB Barton Gone: Heinicke