Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sam's Club: The Legend of Samuel Howell Thread

LetThePointsSoar

55 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Ron is going to go with the qb that will win him games. It’s playoffs or goodbye Ron. So, if Sam is the qb; he will clearly have to outperform Jacoby. If Jacoby outperforms Sam, he will be day one starter.

Now if Sam is the day one starter, he will have to play well. If he’s struggling a lot; he will get benched for Jacoby.

I said this last week when they signed him. Jacoby will play better and we will never know how good Sam is if he was given a full season of playing time.  Just how the Redskins work. On the flip side maybe Jacoby becomes our Tom Brady.....stay tuned. 

10 hours ago, tmandoug1 said:

I said this last week when they signed him. Jacoby will play better and we will never know how good Sam is if he was given a full season of playing time.  Just how the Redskins work. On the flip side maybe Jacoby becomes our Tom Brady.....stay tuned. 

4814246.jpg

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, tmandoug1 said:

Tom Brady was a 3rd round pick who broke out at 30 years old after being on his 5th NFL team?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Tom Brady was a 3rd round pick who broke out at 30 years old after being on his 5th NFL team?

I mean nitpick all you want but Tom Brady is a human being and Jacoby Brissett is a human being.  The similarities are uncanny!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

9 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Not sure about this...maybe a wee bit more weed is needed on my part. You dudes took me seriously? @mistertim I understand but you other two? Sheesh....get some ****ing sleep.

its why we got rid of TH. With the creative properties of weed and alcohol we were able to chant poetry  like rg3 and hine- a-key. 

Jacoby and sam are sure to fail. . Ja/coe/bee.....hmmm wait a minute

1 hour ago, celticsalmon said:

5th Rounder Sam Howell plays one game in the NFL and he's named the starter? Delusional!

Sometimes NFL front office logic is, right place right time lol

I can careless because it’s cheap and Washington can pivot however they choose. 

16 hours ago, celticsalmon said:

5th Rounder Sam Howell plays one game in the NFL and he's named the starter? Delusional!

He wasn't named the starter. Ron basically said they liked what they saw out of him and as of now he's QB1 going into camp and the preseason. 

Who do you think should be QB1 going into camp?

I do think Howell will have to win the job.  Granted the burden of proof is on Brissett. If its a close QB battle, they are going to give the nod to Howell.  But if Brissett clearly wins it, he will be the QB.

I think its similar to the Drew Lock v. Geno Smith battle last year.   Lock being six years younger than Smith was the favorite to win the job.  Geno Smith had the burden of proof that he was the better QB.  If it was close the Seahawks were going to name Drew Lock the starter.   But Geno Smith met that burden of proof and won the job.

• Thumb up 1

For me, it just sounds like double-speak when it comes to Howell.  When you draft a young QB that you believe in, like truly believe they are franchise caliber, then you are going to be willing to weather the up and down rookie season they might have, in order for them to get the necessary reps and real game experience.  I like Brissett as a backup, but he isn't a long term solution, nor a franchise level QB.  So his 1 year contract can be looked at in two ways, one of them is that wanted a relatively inexpensive option at QB2 so they could put their resources elsewhere.  The other is that they seem Howell as a QB2 long term and this just buys the organization another season/offseason to address the QB1 position.  

I understand why Ron is saying what he is publicly about Brissett.  Hell, maybe he had to assure him that he would be in an open competition for QB1 in order for him to sign here, but again, if they believe Howell, with a season or two of experience can end up really good, then there is no justification to keep kicking the can down the road on getting him onto the field, as another season or two goes by with the roster you've assembled that can win games right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Need you to find out what Howell scored on that test that seemed to nail all the elite QBs in the league lol 

37 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

For me, it just sounds like double-speak when it comes to Howell.  When you draft a young QB that you believe in, like truly believe they are franchise caliber, then you are going to be willing to weather the up and down rookie season they might have, in order for them to get the necessary reps and real game experience.  I like Brissett as a backup, but he isn't a long term solution, nor a franchise level QB.  So his 1 year contract can be looked at in two ways, one of them is that wanted a relatively inexpensive option at QB2 so they could put their resources elsewhere.  The other is that they seem Howell as a QB2 long term and this just buys the organization another season/offseason to address the QB1 position.  

I understand why Ron is saying what he is publicly about Brissett.  Hell, maybe he had to assure him that he would be in an open competition for QB1 in order for him to sign here, but again, if they believe Howell, with a season or two of experience can end up really good, then there is no justification to keep kicking the can down the road on getting him onto the field, as another season or two goes by with the roster you've assembled that can win games right now.

No QB should be long term solution if not elite or play ball financially. 

The debate of situations like Brisset at $8mil or Carr at $33mil per season are beginning to take place. Or rolling with Howell on a rookie deal over   the “70% pool” QB is being tested. 

Washington is somewhat at the forefront of this model. No way implying this is something new, but Ron going all in on this model in a make or break season is wild. 

I get the coach speak and I also understand that if Sam plays poorly in camp and preseason and jacoby plays well that he should get the nod as starter but I hope Sam gets graded on a curve a little. 

Sam has one year and one start under his belt, jacoby is a long tenured veteran it stands to reason he'll probably look as good if not a little better than Sam but Sam may be the future and Jacoby is not.

Unless Sam looks terrible for some reason I hope he gets the benefit of the doubt due to his inexperience rather than a true competition to see who is currently better.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Ron's logic on the draft made no sense.  Trying to argue that because the draft was weak, that's why Howell went late.  Under any normal circumstance, going late in a weak draft at your position means you're not supposed to be very good.  Not the other way around.  lol  when it comes to QBs, he should just not say anything.  Everytime he does, he kills what little credibility he has on the position.

Edited by justice98
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Ron's logic on the draft made no sense.  Trying to argue that because the draft was weak, that's why Howell went late.  Under any normal circumstance, going late in a weak draft at your position means you're not supposed to be very good.  Not the other way around.  lol  when it comes to QBs, he should just not say anything.  Everytime he does, he kills what little credibility he has on the position.

He’s a really poor communicator overall, at least to the fan base and media. 

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

That's what I've been trying to say here for a while.  He's not a good communicator when talking about the team's QB situation.  His actions also telegraph how wishy washy the team is at finding a solution.  It's almost illogical how he's treating the QB position this year compared to last year.  Logic tells you that they should've started Sam Howell earlier last season, when Wentz went down with that thumb injury.  Trading for Wentz made absolutely no sense, since all the big named QB's refused to come here (Wilson, Rodgers, Jimmy G).  They should've drafted Howell a couple of rounds earlier, and had him play behind TH, then slide him into the starter role around mid season.  It made no sense to trade for Wentz, AND keep TH at the same time.  Now this team is scrambling, trying to convince anyone that will listen, that Sam Howell was their guy all along, and that he's NOT a developmental QB (even though they treated him as such last year).  It just comes off as dishonest, and lacking from reality.  The truth of the matter, is that this team ****ed up last year, with their QB moves, and now the chickens have come home to roost.

Edited by samy316

I think what I was getting at in my last reply is that Ron's approach to Howell (so far) has me feeling he is more unsure about his potential than anything else. Doesn't mean he doesn't think there is a chance Howell will end up a good QB but he isn't convinced.  At some point you have to be willing to just take the leap and hope whatever you are seeing on the practice field is going to translate to the games (unless the issue so far is what's been seen on the practice field itself?).   

I kind of figured that once Heinicke was gone who was already established as a QB2, it would be a little telling who was brought in to back up Howell, or now as stated by Ron....compete for the #1 job.   I just don't see the upside to the scenario of Brissett starting, even if he performs better than Sam on the practice field, if....and it is an if.....they view Sam's abilities as QB1 material.   That is sort of the problem with bringing in veteran QB's to compete with an inexperienced rookie for the starting job.  Of course a veteran QB might look better in the short term, but they have already had time to show themselves to be starting QB caliber and didn't do it and once they get extended starting time, it will show up on the field.   

If Howell ends up starting, I am not going to be surprised if we see a lot of games similar to his performance against Dallas.  He will show off the arm talent, make some electrifying plays, but also get fooled by coverages at times and throw an untimely pick or two.  That is just how it goes for rookies.  Even most of the great QB's did that early on in their careers, but if you believe in their potential you are willing to roll with it and not instead go with a short term mid-tier solution instead.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Rivera would have been a big top clown not to hedge his bets with a QB like Howell. He is doing what any respectable NFL org would do given the situation. It is not in any way wishy-washy or a slight against Howell, its just how the business is run.

I go back to my previous line of thinking before the offseson began that I can't name a single low asset QB w/ no XP that was simply handed the job in March. They will all compete in QB comps and if they win, they are named the starter in like week 3 of preseason, barring catastrophic injury to guys above them. Its why I spoke w/ uber confidence since Feb that there was no way on earth Howell would be just given the job. Peeps wanna complain about how this shows lack of faith in Howell, and actively ignore that this is how every QB in his situation is dealt with.

If Howell can keep up w/ Jacoby, he will get to start, if he can't then he is not ready and it will be revisited down the line. As a low asset QB he is promised nothing and guaranteed nothing. Nature of the beast.