Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Everything 118th Congress Thread

@DCGoldPants

8 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I don't want temporary pro tem speaker powers expanded either. It's temporary for a specific reason. 

Didn't they change the rules to make it as weak as it is now?

Congress has been allowed to make their own rules for themselves, there's no Senate Majority leader in the Constitution.

Give "pro tem" enough power so he can hold votes like CR then money for Ukraine like we said we would for them.

I'd figure they already have a carrier group out there for Ukraine, are there two out there now in Eastern Mediterranean?

Edited by Renegade7

Just now, Dan T. said:

You are correct. Edited my post.

I think there is just as good of a chance he gives up on this if they go another route. He wants to get back to his conspiracy hearings without any responsibility to anyone else in his party beyond his boss. It's not like the folks who are calling GOP Reps who don' represent them, are going to stop. It might even get worse. Just wait till one of these nuts shows up at the school for one of these Reps yelling how their Father or Mother needs to support Jim Jordan of all people.

• Thumb up 2

1 minute ago, Captain Wiggles said:

If they're going to agree on expanding powers for McHenry just vote and make him speaker. All this other bull**** is just a big ol waste of time. Oh right silly me, that's the Republicans goal. 

This is fair point, and I believe that's what's next. 

They need to get stuff done more then agree who should be Speaker, so I agree with letting him hold votes that keep the government functioning and kick this can of who the permanent speaker should be until they're done with all their holiday recess.

Negotiating things like the budget to avoid a shutdown seems hard enough as it is for the House.  Other aspects of the government can chew gum and walk at the same time, but the House is acting like arguably the most dysfunctional part of it right now, and I don't mean that in way to seem they having any function at all currently, it's come to complete halt they so stuck on stupid.

• Thumb up 1

54 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

For line of succession purposes, this means that Blinkin is third, correct?

Yes.

VP, President pro tempore of the Senate (Patty Murray), then Secretary of State (Blinken) since there is no Speaker. 

Speaker was the only GOP position in the line at the moment. 😆

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, tshile said:

Expanding power is a lazy solution and lazy solutions come back to bite you. 

I suspect Dems will allow it because they see a need for government to still work even if Conservatives have been held hostage by MAGA. 

The likely easy out is to sunset the power and/or limit to only when in absence of a Sepaker. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

26 minutes ago, tshile said:

Expanding power is a lazy solution and lazy solutions come back to bite you. 

Even if you're right, who's the speaker then?

Not against going for broke with proposing Jefferies or just voting for the guy who's temp right now.

But until Gaetz and his posse stop threatening to vote folks out unless they do what they want, a temp guy keeps from technically not having even that.

I say give them a break and focus on stopping the shutdown, come to their senses and maybe even expell Gaetz to help get back to some level of functionality.

This is a potentially serious level of ineptitude if they get backed into a corner of who to pick as speaker just to also negotiate to stop the shutdown right before the holidays and then can't get it done like the adults we elected them to be.

21 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I suspect Dems will allow it because they see a need for government to still work even if Conservatives have been held hostage by MAGA. 

The likely easy out is to sunset the power and/or limit to only when in absence of a Sepaker. 

Me, I see Dem support as a "**** you" vote to Jordan et al. Perhaps a way of signaling that if the Insurection Caucus is making too many demands, there's an alternative. 

I will also observe that if they empower the pro Tem, he will have that power until the GOP successfully votes in a Speaker. Might be a while. 

Sounds like pretty much everyone is getting sick of Matt Gaetz and his bull****.

4 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:
  Hide contents

Like you know or care what the American people want, you mouth-breathing moose knuckle.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

What did the Freedom Caucus think would happen when they took out McCarthy? 

Oh - you guys want Jim Jordan.  Pass the full FY24 spending bills and you can have Jordan. 

That will be the price of putting Jim Jordan in speakership.

Or, they don't care that supporting Jordan will throw the majority away?  This looks like the dumbest politics ever.  

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1