Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Everything 118th Congress Thread

@DCGoldPants

58 minutes ago, Larry said:

Like, say, agreeing to allow one Congressman to blackmail the Speaker, to get voted in?

Exactly. 

or changing rules to get nominations through. 

it always seems the rule change is only viewed through the lense of the current problem. Down the road someone is able to abuse that rule change, because no one considered how someone might. 

Generally I’m against changing the rules because you don’t like the outcome. I can agree to certain cases but that’s my default initial stance until convinced otherwise. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

What did the Freedom Caucus think would happen when they took out McCarthy? 

Oh - you guys want Jim Jordan.  Pass the full FY24 spending bills and you can have Jordan. 

That will be the price of putting Jim Jordan in speakership.

Or, they don't care that supporting Jordan will throw the majority away?  This looks like the dumbest politics ever.  

I think Gym Jordan is a complete non-starter. IMO Those concessions the Dems will be asking for will just be to allow the interim Speaker more power. The Republicans will almost certainly need some Dem votes in order for them to pass that.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Dems are missing an opportunity to get in front of mics and just talk about the things that aren't happening right now. Don't get into the weeds of the internal GOP Civil War, just get in front of the mic and pick a topic to talk about. But pick ones that most Americans agree on. Healthcare, reducing the deficit, cost of living, etc etc. Things that it's hard for the GOP to oppose in a soundbite when they can't get on the same page. 

• Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Larry said:

Just idly speculating. But isn't it McHenrey's decision, as to whether an "empower McHenrey" proposal gets voted on? I mean, him being the acting Speaker, and all?  

No. He has only the authority to run a vote for Speaker right now. They want to give him authority to say.....approve an aid package for Israel. They can't even vote on that right now if 100% agreed. 

• Thanks 2

So what we wan is for him to get less votes each go round

the frustration that’ll cause is spectacular 

it’s like when two nfc east rivals play

root for the away team. You want the fans that put in the work to be there to have to go home in traffic miserable. 

it’s the little things in life 

• Haha 4

When are we going to revisit the reality there are GOP members not only openly admitting to getting death threats, but specifically what they believe they are tied to this closely to insinuating its being instigated by their own fellow members in Congress?

That number in support is dropping like a lead ballon because Jordan is doing nothing to slow down or speak these calls, emails, and threats happening on his behalf to get speaker.  He's sending nastygrams all but saying that himself to get members in his caucus to vote for him.

This is one of many reasons why so many outside groups have us labeled as a backslidding or outrigtht failing democracy right now, that is some of the most undemocratic **** imaginable when you really think about it, and its clearly getting worse, not better.  Their moderates aren't just weak, they are likely unwilling to participate in the level of rhetoric threatening their own self and family because they are won't do it to other folks. 

We might get more out of moderate Republicans speaking to this directly and offering more resources to address it, I'm serious about expanding Secret Service, we clearly need to now.

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

So what we wan is for him to get less votes each go round

the frustration that’ll cause is spectacular 

it’s like when two nfc east rivals play

root for the away team. You want the fans that put in the work to be there to have to go home in traffic miserable. 

it’s the little things in life 

thor-you-people-are-so-petty-and-tiny.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

13 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

When are we going to revisit the reality there are GOP members not only openly admitting to getting death threats, but specifically what they believe they are tied to this closely to insinuating its being instigated by their own fellow members in Congress?

Well..... you have others who seem like they might not be honest about the whole thing.

Would like to know when he was threatened, how, and show us like the one Rep showed the texts his wife was receiving. Because this seems shady. 

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

Like you know or care what the American people want, you mouth-breathing moose knuckle.

I take offense at your use of this slur. I grew up in Alaska. There is nothing about moose, from the tips of their horns to the bottom of their hooves, that isn't wonderful. They are among the best evolved species extant.

Please remove this unjust, offensive and inaccurate hate speech from your vocabulary.

Also, as with the moose, you should always respect the squirrel. Together they are an unstoppable force of nature.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Well..... you have others who seem like they might not be honest about the whole thing.

Would like to know when he was threatened, how, and show us like the one Rep showed the texts his wife was receiving. Because this seems shady. 

Oh, yeah, let's get to the bottom of it, because that at least includes talking about this.

This is also not the first time this has come up, not limited jus to republicans in the House.

The correct thing to do is investigate the claims even if that means out loud reaching out to Republicans to make at least anonymous outreachs to specific mediums.

I don't believe there's isn't already a groundwork for this, but it's probably not safe enough from folks in the government from seeing someone asking for help.

Edited by Renegade7

I have had several contexts where I have worked with someone to deal with nasty threats flooding in like what they’re discussing. 

both personally and professionally. Different levels of governments and different states across the country. 

in each case the target was simply doing her job. Every one of them has been a female (coincidence? Maybe, 🤷‍♂️)

to all this i say - good. 

they created this monster and have skated by ignoring what it was doing to regular people just trying to do their job. 

it’s about time they have to face the monster they created. To worry about their lives and their families’. 

maybe it’s time they start getting assaulted at work too, cause that’s what happens after the threats. 

maybe they’ll have a different opinion on various things when their rhetoric starts biting them in the ass. 

Maybe they’ll take time to consider how they might adjust their behavior to not create this monster. 

Edited by tshile

@tshile

To an extent I agree with you, man...

Still...Scalise got shot and he didn't change a bit.

Capitol got stormed forcing folks to hide in the basement and closets, yet here we are.

I'd say because they can't control the monster they created to put open the options necessary to take it for the threat its become versus waiting to see what happens next.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2