Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Everything 118th Congress Thread

@DCGoldPants

3 hours ago, Fergasun said:

So what is with Mitch's timing?  I understand Elaine Chao's younger sister tragically passed away.  But Mitch always acts in ways that are most beneficial to the Republican party. .

Is it possible Mitch endorses Biden?

3 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

No. He’s just resigning as leader. He will

serve out his full term and not run for re-election in 2026.

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

He realized he doesn't have the power that he used to. 

43 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Another rat jumping off the boat while it's still close to shore because it's sinking...

He's resigning as leader because he's old and physically failing as his public freezing episodes demonstrated.  He will serve out his term (assuming he doesn't die first) and not run for re-election.  He could still wield the power, as he recently easily fended off others like Scott trying to take the leadership role from him, and has more institutional knowledge and political savvy than any other senator.  I think he will try to maneuver to pick his successor, rather than be ousted by some MAGA senator.  And he's not just a rat jumping off a sinking ship, he was one of the things keeping the ship afloat. Him leaving will make the ship sink faster. He's stepping down because he can't physically handle the day to day stuff anymore.  Something Feinstein should have done.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

10 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

@China

I'm not buying he's going to be able ro prevent a loyalty pledge to Trump from his successor...he timing of this announcement is right around the time it came out Trump team has been pushing for his.

Trump installing his minions everywhere in the GOP infrastructure (infrastructure week!) is what will kill the GOP. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

11 hours ago, Fergasun said:

So what is with Mitch's timing?  I understand Elaine Chao's younger sister tragically passed away.  But Mitch always acts in ways that are most beneficial to the Republican party. .

Not a chance in hell Mitch endorses Biden. 

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/4492396-mcconnell-trump-endorsement-pressure/

Pressure is mounting on Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) as he lays the groundwork to do what was unthinkable just a year ago: endorsing former President Trump for president in 2024. 

Trump’s victory in South Carolina on Saturday further strengthened his grip on the GOP and has put McConnell in a bind. He held out as long as he could before it emerged Monday that his and Trump’s teams are discussing a possible endorsement.

• Thumb up 1

13 hours ago, Fergasun said:

generally speaking once general election primary wraps up, the winner gets to exercise power over the party by putting people in leadership positions. The RNC chair in stepping down, so trumps person can take her seat. Mitch is at a torch passing moment so it’s as good a time as any (combined with an obvious health issue, his general age, it just makes sense as a transition period)

you will/are seeing people get replaced across the board. It’s what happens. The primary is considered a wrap, I don’t know anything that honestly believes Haley has a non-zero chance at this point. 

but only the big ones will make the news cycle. McDaniel last week, McConnell this week, and there will be others. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Keep attacking women, GOP.  

On the one hand, it makes no sense from a strategy prospective. At all. These individual issues don’t make sense, and combined it really doesn’t make sense. 

on the other… it totally tracks with a group losing power and support. After basically a century of influence, the people the GOP caters to and are about have been losing political capital and influence among voters for a while and it’s finally hit a point of no return. They’re far past tweaking their platform to change the trajectory of their power and influence. They must find ways to bend the rules, change the rules, or get away with outright breaking them. 

My guess is the GOP will continue to move towards a “more extreme” platform, and towards bending/breaking/changing the rules, as it seems like that’s their only move left. 

it all fits perfectly. As does the manufactured outrage. While I’m truly concerned that they may have the ability to pull off what they’re trying to do, I still feel that their positions have become so extreme they are alienating themselves from the general public and it’ll be harder and harder to win elections fairly. 

this is what it looks like when a group (white, mostly white males, Christian’s) start losing power on the system to the point they don’t see any way to regain it without launching a full on attack on the system itself. Even if that means throwing away our democracy and instituting a form of authoritarianism/fascism - because they’re happy to do that if thst appears the only path to wielding powering. 

• Like 5

‘Three Johns’ lead race to succeed McConnell

The race to succeed Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.) atop the Senate GOP conference is on.

While a shadow campaign has been going on for years throughout McConnell’s record-setting tenure as leader, jockeying by potential successors has begun in earnest and is set to burst into the open. 

Republicans, for the most part, are looking at the trio of Sens. John Thune (R-S.D.), John Cornyn (R-Texas) and John Barrasso (R-Wyo.) as the leading contenders to take over for the longtime Republican leader, with a possible conservative challenger mixed in.

On Thursday, Cornyn became the first of the three to formally announce his bid.

“I am asking my Republican colleagues to give me the opportunity to succeed Leader McConnell,” he said in a statement. “Throughout my time I’ve built a track record of listening to colleagues and seeking consensus, while leading the fight to stop bad policies that are harmful to our nation and the conservative cause.”

With almost nine months of runway for auditions and maneuvering, Senate Republicans are preparing for an open leadership election the conference hasn’t seen in nearly two decades.

Click on the link for the full article

'Three Johns' is appropriate for a party that is going down the toilet.

three-toilets-on-street-260nw-1344867458

• Like 2

An ETF that tracks the stock trades of Democrats in Congress has been beating the S&P 500 on the strength of Magnificent 7 tech bets

An ETF that tracks the trades of Democrats in Congress and their spouses has outperformed the broader stock market since its launch last year.

The Unusual Whales Democratic ETF, which trades under the symbol "NANC" in a nod to former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, has surged 30% since its launch on February 7, 2023. That compares to a gain of 24% for the S&P 500 over the same time period.

Looking underneath the hood of the ETF, it's clear that an outsized bet on mega-cap tech stocks has driven much of the outperformance over the past year. Microsoft alone represents nearly 10% of the fund, and its top 10 holdings make up a highly concentrated 50% of the fund. 

Other top tech holdings within the NANC ETF include Amazon, Apple, Nvidia, Salesforce, Alphabet. When combined with Microsoft, those six stocks comprise 32% of the fund's total market value. Other major holdings include Crowdstrike and Netflix. The fund has a total of 719 stocks.

The lawmakers tracked by the fund own holdings in many of the same stocks most popular with hedge funds. Amazon, Microsoft, Alphabet, Nvidia, Apple, and Salesforce are among the top 10 most widely owned stocks amongst major firms, a recent Goldman Sachs analysis found. Both groups are trying to ride the continuing momentum of the market's best-performing stocks.

Meanwhile, a Republican-focused fund with the same methodology has been underperforming the market. The Unusual Whales Republican ETF, which trades under the symbol "KRUZ," has gained about 15% since inception. The comparison is reflected in the chart below.

BB1j3tRC.img?w=768&h=556&m=6

Lawmakers trading stocks have come under intensifying scrutiny in recent years, as some members of Congress have made timely trades in stocks they could have theoretically influenced, or had access to sensitive information about.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, China said:

An ETF that tracks the stock trades of Democrats in Congress has been beating the S&P 500 on the strength of Magnificent 7 tech bets

An ETF that tracks the trades of Democrats in Congress and their spouses has outperformed the broader stock market since its launch last year.

The Unusual Whales Democratic ETF, which trades under the symbol "NANC" in a nod to former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, has surged 30% since its launch on February 7, 2023. That compares to a gain of 24% for the S&P 500 over the same time period.

Looking underneath the hood of the ETF, it's clear that an outsized bet on mega-cap tech stocks has driven much of the outperformance over the past year. Microsoft alone represents nearly 10% of the fund, and its top 10 holdings make up a highly concentrated 50% of the fund. 

Other top tech holdings within the NANC ETF include Amazon, Apple, Nvidia, Salesforce, Alphabet. When combined with Microsoft, those six stocks comprise 32% of the fund's total market value. Other major holdings include Crowdstrike and Netflix. The fund has a total of 719 stocks.

The lawmakers tracked by the fund own holdings in many of the same stocks most popular with hedge funds. Amazon, Microsoft, Alphabet, Nvidia, Apple, and Salesforce are among the top 10 most widely owned stocks amongst major firms, a recent Goldman Sachs analysis found. Both groups are trying to ride the continuing momentum of the market's best-performing stocks.

Meanwhile, a Republican-focused fund with the same methodology has been underperforming the market. The Unusual Whales Republican ETF, which trades under the symbol "KRUZ," has gained about 15% since inception. The comparison is reflected in the chart below.

BB1j3tRC.img?w=768&h=556&m=6

Lawmakers trading stocks have come under intensifying scrutiny in recent years, as some members of Congress have made timely trades in stocks they could have theoretically influenced, or had access to sensitive information about.

And nasdaq gained 41% in the last year.  Tech stocks outperform sp500 in the last year (has been true going on near 3 decades now), shocker.

Admiring that the first thing the R's list as a plus is "defunding the people who enforce laws we don't like, but don't have the voted to actually make legal."  

And #3 is phrased as "gun rights for veterans", when I'm willing to bet that it's actually special "gun rights"

55 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I want to know more about these gun rights for veterans. 

Caveats with it being Newsweek and all

https://www.newsweek.com/mentally-incompetent-americans-given-access-guns-under-new-bill-1875501

Apparently something like this passed the Senate last year

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2023/10/26/measure-restore-gun-rights-mentally-incompetent-veterans-passes-senate-bolstering-its-chances-of.html

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, China said:

Do veterans somehow get more gun rights than non-veterans?

There are some special rights allowed. 

retired law enforcement and active law enforcement (and I believe vets) get a nationwide conceal carry permit (law that came with W. Bush post 9-11)

it’s a little more strict than a general concealed carry the rest of us have access to. For instance, it lists which guns you’re permitted for and to get one added you must qualify for it, and you have to qualify every year. 

im sure there’s other exemptions/special rights tied to it.