Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Everything 118th Congress Thread

@DCGoldPants

I was waiting for you guys to add this detail to Ken Buck leaving, haven't seen this mentioned much. It looks like Lauren Boebert might be out before she ever gets in...

Could the Senate pass federal bill for shorter workweek? Here's what to know

There's a revived effort on Capitol Hill to make a shorter workweek the new norm.

Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., announced Wednesday he will introduce a bill to establish a standard 32-hour workweek that would result in no loss in pay.

Sanders, who chairs the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions, will introduce the legislation Thursday during a hearing on the need for a shorter workweek.

“Moving to a 32-hour workweek with no loss of pay is not a radical idea,” Sanders said in a statement. “Today, American workers are over 400 percent more productive than they were in the 1940s. And yet, millions of Americans are working longer hours for lower wages than they were decades ago. That has got to change."

Click on the link for the full article

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

I'm seeing a few gen z and other under forty influencers or whatever who are saying it's bad for Biden to back this due to the overwhelming popularity of the site with their demographic including as a news and educational source. 

In this particular instance, given there may be some legitimate concerns about a "softening" of Joe's support from the younger flank of voters already in play, I am wondering if it's a bad move politically.

In terms of the actual premise that concerns with the platform as a threat or valid and serious, I'm personally unsure. I think the Chinese and other intelligence agencies have plenty of access to data they want from many other sources aside from use of tiktok.

I'm a little in the gray area on the matter.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jumbo said:

I'm seeing a few gen z and other under forty influencers or whatever who are saying it's bad for Biden to back this due to the overwhelming popularity of the site with their demographic including as a news and educational source. 

In this particular instance, given there may be some legitimate concerns about a "softening" of Joe's support from the younger flank of voters already in play, I am wondering if it's a bad move politically.

In terms of the actual premise that concerns with the platform as a threat or valid and serious, I'm personally unsure. I think the Chinese and other intelligence agencies have plenty of access to data they want from many other sources aside from use of tiktok.

I'm a little in the gray area on the matter.

This article may be more appropriate in one of the social media threads, but some of these platforms have been used to malicious spread viral treads that intentionally endanger our kids and the platforms are still trying to convince folks "that jus comes with the territory"...

Now we've gone from Tide Pod challenge to this ****:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/interactive/2024/764-predator-discord-telegram/

This conversation isn't over, it's jus starting with Tik Tok because we know China is using this app to go beyond spy and manipulate us. A whole ass country.

Edited by Renegade7

Rand Paul vows to hold up $1T ‘minibus’ that must pass by Friday

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) says he will hold up a $1 trillion “minibus” spending package that needs to pass by the end of the day Friday to avoid triggering a partial government shutdown.

“I will hold it up primarily because we’re bankrupt, and it’s a terrible idea to keep spending money at this rate,” Paul told The Hill on Wednesday.

“The spending bills before us will lead to a $1.5 trillion deficit for the year. We’re borrowing about $1 trillion every three months. It’s an alarming pace of accumulation of debt,” he said.

“My opposition to this will be based on how much” the package would add to the U.S. debt, which now stands at $34.5 trillion, he added.

Asked if he would delay final Senate passage of the bill past the weekend, which would trigger a partial government shutdown, Paul shrugged and lifted his palms to the air, signaling he hadn’t decided yet how long to delay it.

Funding for the departments of Defense; Labor; Health and Human Services; State; and other federal agencies will expire at 11:59 p.m. on Friday. 

House Democrat Shows Up to Hearing In a Putin Mask: ‘I Just Want to Thank James Comer’

Rep. Jared Moskowitz (D-FL) mocked his Republican colleagues on Wednesday by wearing a Vladimir Putin mask ahead of a House Oversight Committee hearing into “influence peddling” allegations related to Hunter Biden.

“Congressman can you explain what you are wearing?” a reporter asked Moskowitz, who was easily identified by the many colorful wristbands he has long worn.

putin-2048x1131.png

“I just came to thank James Comer for taking all of our intelligence and using it in the committee. Maybe he can come see the technology in our grocery stores. Thank you,” replied Moskowitz, apparently referring to the key whistleblower behind the Biden allegations having admitted he passed along Russian intelligence to the Republican investigators.

• Haha 3

MAGA Twitter is going bonkers over AOC saying "RICO is not a crime" right now lol...they are trying to roast her intelligence over it, and making claims that her statement proves Trump didn't commit any crimes in Georgia.

My guess is that Trump will also post the same stuff sometime today.

The fact that she's right sails straight over their heads lol...

• Thumb up 1

That's been the these of every GOP Congress for, maybe 20 years?  

Make vague claims that you just know that something bad has happened, somewhere.  

Demand everything.  

No matter what you get, yell loudly that it's not everything.  

Go through everything you get, for anything that can be used politically.  

Make lots of claims about what the things you've got, prove.  Ignore the fact that the things you've got actually say the exact opposite.  

Eventually reach the point of "Well, maybe if we demand enough, then maybe we'll find something that we can claim justifies what we've already been doing".  

• Like 2