Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NCAA Basketball

PleaseBlitz

@Long n Left

Ref is the hardest job in sports. We don't teach and accept thar just as there's no mistake free players on the court/field, refs will also make mistakes. 

I would argue that the need for consistency outweighs end of game considerations.  Looked like a foul to me.  If you call that with 2 seconds left in 1Q, you call that with 2 seconds left in the game. 

They don't teach consistency in ref school?

I am going to add this though. I didn't watch the whole game, so you may be correct in that the refs let a lot of contact go during the game... and calling a foul for that contact could be inconsistent.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

13 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

@Long n Left

Ref is the hardest job in sports. We don't teach and accept thar just as there's no mistake free players on the court/field, refs will also make mistakes. 

I would argue that the need for consistency outweighs end of game considerations.  Looked like a foul to me.  If you call that with 2 seconds left in 1Q, you call that with 2 seconds left in the game. 

They don't teach consistency in ref school?

I am going to add this though. I didn't watch the whole game, so you may be correct in that the refs let a lot of contact go during the game... and calling a foul for that contact could be inconsistent.

He had a hand on his side, the shot was not affected in any way I could see. I know the talking head was saying he pushed him, but if so, it was minimal a worst. Guy gets a last second shot off in a tie game, if he gets a clean look, with no clear foul, can’t decide the game on a call that isn’t clear cut. That, in my book, and as I would instruct my team when I was lead ref, is a referee influencing the outcome of a game. I believe that needs to be decided by players, not officials.

And, yes, I agree that consistency is what any referee should strive for. I watched about half that game, and I’m certain that I could go back through the tape and find a number of similar soft fouls that did not impact a shot not get called. I’m pretty sure you could as well.

Coach L is the best.  I’d imagine the list of coaches that have led two different schools to the Final Four is pretty small.  Less than 10, right? Off the top of my head, you got Pitino, Calipari (I know technically, Memphis is *, but did he go with Camby), Roy Williams.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

19 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Coach L is the best.  I’d imagine the list of coaches that have led two different schools to the Final Four is pretty small.  Less than 10, right? Off the top of my head, you got Pitino, Calipari (I know technically, Memphis is *, but did he go with Camby), Roy Williams.

Huggins. 

Just now, The Evil Genius said:

Huggins. 

Yep. That’s a good example.  I tried looking it up after I posted and found an article from 2011.  There’s like 14 guys, I think.  But a lot of them are real old school.  Before my lifetime. Larry Brown, Lure Olsen (don’t remember him pre Arizona), Eddie Sutton, and Lou Henson are the only other names I recognize.

If you had bet any of those teams to win the national championship before the season started, aside from Connecticut, you would be a rich man.  I actually put $7 on Connecticut to win it all in December at +1100.  They were like #4 in the nation or something at that time so not great odds, but I'll take it.

This is why I think college basketball is one of the top 3 sporting leagues in the nation, completely unpredictable with dudes playing their hearts out.  Tons of passion.  The most amazing tournament in the country.  

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Rooting hard for him. The GMU Final Four run in 2006 is the greatest sports memory of my life

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Looks like there was another "controversial" call in Miami-Texas.  Miami misses a shot, Texas gets the board.  But one of the Texas players undercuts a Miami player unecessarily and gets called for the foul. 

I think it was a good call and there was no reason for the underxut.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2023 at 10:37 PM, abdcskins said:

This is why I think college basketball is one of the top 3 sporting leagues in the nation, completely unpredictable with dudes playing their hearts out.  Tons of passion.  The most amazing tournament in the country.  

Agreed. With NCAAF, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion nowadays that a Confederate Conference team has purchased the championship. Unfortunately, it seems like they may be trying to do the same thing with basketball as well.

Arrggg...hate seeing him leave AND go to PSU. But, the Odom replacement might be awesome if VCU doesn't lose any players in the change...

Sources: Penn State close to hiring Mike Rhoades as men's basketball coach

Penn State is working toward a deal to hire VCU's Mike Rhoades as the school's next men's basketball coach, sources told ESPN.

The sides are deep in discussions, according to sources, with clarity on a deal expected Wednesday.

Sources told ESPN on Wednesday morning that no deal has been completed, as Penn State needs board approval of the contract. That approval is expected to come together later in the day, according to sources.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35991868/sources-penn-state-close-hiring-mike-rhoades-men-basketball-coach

Reports: Utah State's Ryan Odom to take head coaching job at VCU

LOGAN — Weeks after leading Utah State to an at-large bid in the NCAA Tournament, Ryan Odom is headed back east.

After just two seasons in Cache Valley, the Aggies head coach will take the head coaching job at Virginia Commonwealth University, according to Dick Weiss of New York Daily News. The hiring wraps up a week-long saga of rumors and speculation.

Neither VCU or Utah State has formally announced Odom's hiring at the time of this writing.

https://www.ksl.com/article/50608028/reports-utah-states-ryan-odom-to-take-head-coaching-job-at-vcu

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1