Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should Ron leave after the season?

88Comrade2000

For the second time, Ron will have to deal with a new boss. More than likely, the team won’t be sold and new owner approved until spring/ summer 23.  Too late to bring in people for 23.

Should Ron decide to resign after the season? Maybe just retire. He knows he isn’t long for the franchise; so why stay to only get fired after or during the 23 season .

I know it would mean a stopgap coach for a year but so be it.

• Jumbo locked and unlocked this topic

lol this fanbase is so knee jerk. 1) the team hasn't been sold yet, 2) we don't know if snyder is going to go through with it, 3) we don't know who the new owner would be, and 4) this season is still a long ways away from being done.

i hope none of my family members are washington fans and have the power to make the decision to pull the plug on me 5 minutes after i fall into a coma.

Edited by xxprodigyxx
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, xxprodigyxx said:

lol this fanbase is so knee jerk. 1) the team hasn't been sold yet, 2) we don't know if snyder is going to go through with it, 3) we don't know who the new owner would be, and 4) this season is still a long ways away from being done.

i hope none of my family members are washington fans and have the power to make the decision to pull the plug on me 5 minutes after i fall into a coma.

Well, I hope none of your family members view their decision on whether or not to let you die, as analogous to deciding whether or not a middling pro football coach should walk away from a team under new ownership...

• Haha 4

31 minutes ago, profusion said:

Unless the sale goes through quicker than they usually do, Ron is likely to get another year. The new owner would have to get a management team in place first.

I don't even think we'll get a new owner until the start of the 2024 season. There's going to be a battle.

A GOOD owner would sit back and be an absentee owner. He most likely won't be a football guy and honestly won't know who would qualify as a "competent GM" yet. So IMO, he should guarantee all of the upper staff their jobs for a full year while he evaluates. I really don't want to see another owner who thinks he knows football try to be overly involved. I've seen how that story ends

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't even think we'll get a new owner until the start of the 2024 season. There's going to be a battle.

What battle? Dan is selling the team.

All of it.   Now it may take 6 months to get it sold but Dan should no longer be the owner by the time the 2023 season starts.

As to my question about Ron; knowing what’s coming should Ron choose to volunteerily leave after season?

39 minutes ago, method man said:

Ron is not going to quit. He has $14M coming to him and collects half if he is fired after 2023. He is done in this league after this coaching stint ends

Yep, because believe it or not NO coach that Dan has ever hired has been an NFL head coach again, except for the one he fired after a single season for standing up for himself and refusing to allow Doofus Dan to have any say in running the team. Same with Vinny and Bruce. Done. 

What a clownshow.

What a legacy Dan has. 

You could list unbelievable things like this about him over and over and over. He has to be the worst ever. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Yep, because believe it or not NO coach that Dan has ever hired has been an NFL head coach again, except for the one he fired after a single season for standing up for himself and refusing to allow Doofus Dan to have any say in running the team. Same with Vinny and Bruce. Done. 

What a clownshow.

What a legacy Dan has. 

You could list unbelievable things like this about him over and over and over. He has to be the worst ever. 

It is weird to me that the best OC gig Jay could find after getting fired was JAX and that he can’t find an OC gig now. These guys murdered his rep

I think Rivera retires.

For those that argue he won’t leave money on the table, I would probably disagree. The guy has had a fight with cancer. That’s focuses the mind very quickly on how precious time is. He won’t base any decision on money, no way.

41 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I think Rivera retires.

For those that argue he won’t leave money on the table, I would probably disagree. The guy has had a fight with cancer. That’s focuses the mind very quickly on how precious time is. He won’t base any decision on money, no way.

Probably,

But he also looks like the kind of guy that would go one more season to help the new owner setting up. For the players, the fans, and everything that goes with it. If he can be helpful in launching the new regime he'd be tempted to say yes I believe.

1 hour ago, Wildbunny said:

Probably,

But he also looks like the kind of guy that would go one more season to help the new owner setting up. For the players, the fans, and everything that goes with it. If he can be helpful in launching the new regime he'd be tempted to say yes I believe.

I could see that if any buy out is still very much ongoing and nowhere near completion by February/March. If a sale parter is picked and put before the NFL Finance Committee relatively ‘quickly’ he, along with the rest of his FO pals, will be out.

I've said multiple times that I felt Snyder was going to push him to the brink, and weve seen cracks of him snapping on the media during press conferences.

Usually that's a sign they aren't going to be here long, because he was also getting sensitive about getting called out for stupid **** he was doing himself as HC.

Now it comes out his Mom is dead, she was probably dying recently, a man can only take so much, homie is aging so fast its like he's on that torture table in the Princess Bride.

He's a great human being but a mediocre HC with way too much power right now.  We may get out of this season alive, but I wouldn't be shocked new Owners left him in jus because trying to clean out anything left that lead to all these investigations PLUS nuke the actual football team might be too much to try at the same time unless they feel they absolutely have to.

I'd say that should be up to the GM they pick, but they can't do that without taking some power from Ron.  He's about as solid a bridge HC you could ask for considering what he's already gotten us through, jus not convinced he's the one to take us to the promised land. And that's a problem, because they can't nuke the actual football team (if deemed neccesary) and rebuild plus keep Ron, he'll say no and things would come to a head.

Again, he's trying to do too much, maybe less on his plate gets better results, but I hope he does what's best for his own health versus what he thinks is best for us.  If he makes the playoffs, best believe new ownership will stay focused on cleaning up non-football stuff, but don't think for two seconds this won't be stressful AF on Ron as well.

I'm in the "don't renew his contract" camp as of right now, that may be best of all worlds right now because of how hard it would be to pry that much control from him that he shouldn't have in the first place.  No owner is going to come in here and want to let that continue because of how limiting it is for them to enact their own vision for constructing the front office and their own decisions in what should be on the field (like all the other successful franchises do).

• Like 1

Ron isn’t voluntarily going anywhere, new owner or otherwise. Too much money to leave on the table he won’t get anywhere else for mediocre results. If Dan is still here, Ron is safe. If a new owner comes in, whoever that is will probably leave the coaching staff in place for a season while completely overhauling the front office. 

I think people are missing some things, though. If Snyder sells this team, we are going to be hitting a reset period. So if the sale is agreed upon but doesn’t go through until ‘23, that season is essentially a dead duck season. No time to get new coaches and players in.

So we are essentially forced to punt on the season. The current regime is likely gone, which means drafting a QB (high pick or not) seems out of the realm of reality.

Howell would be the best option next year for a new owner because if he works, fantastic. They have a guy. If he doesn’t… fantastic. They’ll get a guy. But you can’t bring a fresh rookie in for that experience.

I think Rivera stays one last year if it’s a sale year. In some capacity. Maybe he steps down as HC. Maybe he doesn’t. But he’ll be here. He won’t leave the guys who like him if he has the choice.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think people are missing some things, though. If Snyder sells this team, we are going to be hitting a reset period. So if the sale is agreed upon but doesn’t go through until ‘23, that season is essentially a dead duck season. No time to get new coaches and players in.

So we are essentially forced to punt on the season. The current regime is likely gone, which means drafting a QB (high pick or not) seems out of the realm of reality.

Howell would be the best option next year for a new owner because if he works, fantastic. They have a guy. If he doesn’t… fantastic. They’ll get a guy. But you can’t bring a fresh rookie in for that experience.

I think Rivera stays one last year if it’s a sale year. In some capacity. Maybe he steps down as HC. Maybe he doesn’t. But he’ll be here. He won’t leave the guys who like him if he has the choice.

I don't agree with this.

Team is currently .500 without its starting QB, and scenario you presenting opens door to us essentially tanking and fanbase being okay with that jus because it's new ownership?

I don't see a roster that needs to get nuked, I see a coaching staff that does and a team that needs a better oline and clear answer at QB.

The roster is not in a place that I'm buying most fans will be okay throwing seasons.

• Like 3