Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nah Nah Nah…Nah Nah Nah…Hey Hey Hey…GOODBYE CLOWNSHOES

Koolblue13

18 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

One could view all of these as selling points.  Not things that increase the price of the franchise, but reasons why an extremely wealthy person would want to buy the team MORE.

I don't know how much those things are all true "Selling points" as this still is an investment but I get your point and don't disagree necessarily especially for a buyer like Bezos who has obscene amounts of money.  A real functioning franchise with new state of the art facilities is a dream for sure.  Ultimately the team would still need to win at some point to bring a significant number of fans back.  

What's funny is that Dan is such a narcissistic fool that he still believes he knows what he is doing.  Believes that he was a good owner and the team lost and had all these issues in spite of his best efforts.  I look forward to watching things turn around over the next few years with the new stadium, new name (hopefully), new owner that is embraced by the fans, and hopefully a winning tradition again.  I look forward to it because I still care but I also really really want Dan to witness it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

I'm not so sure the city wants it. The local councilman, if I remember correctly, was putting forward a "not in my backyard" posture - citing the need for more affordable housing, etc. 

To me, I think it would be a travesty to let that site slip through our fingers. For those of us who were able to see them in the glory days, there is really nothing quite like emerging from Stadium-Armory, walking down that busy sidewalk, and turning right on the approach to the stadium. It was simply majestic.

I have no doubts that there will be some political opposition, but I also think it's largely posturing.  As of right now, the site cannot be used for anything EXCEPT a stadium.  Although you may know more about the latest, I have little doubt that the local councilman has political demands for his/her support, and I equally have little doubt that those demands can be met.  

34 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

One could view all of these as selling points.  Not things that increase the price of the franchise, but reasons why an extremely wealthy person would want to buy the team MORE.

1. Facilities - they are in the tank, and new ones are a requirement

2. Stadium - it is in the tank, and a new one is a requirement

You aren't being saddled with someone else's vision, you get to oversee the design of your own stadium and facilities, pick where they are located (to some degree) and really put your own stamp on the region. 

3. Fanbase - shattered, lowest revenue in the NFL

You get to be the mother****ing hero that saved a storied and once-proud franchise from pretty much the lowest position possible.

4. Name brand - new name brand, no longer allure of Redskins

You get to pick a new one, and nobody will care about jettisoning "Commanders."  You can't go back to Redskins, but 99% chance everyone likes whatever you pick better than Commanders.  If it were me, bonus, I'd stage a mock assassination of the ridiculous pig mascot thing during pregame warmups at my first game. 

5. Legal/civil liabilities - Snyder is going to have to set $$ in escrow from the sale. So this goes toward the money Dan gets to take home versus the sale price being discounted.

We'll see if this ends up being a thing.  I think the franchise itself is on the hook for certain issues, but I also think that most adverse parties and those in charge of ongoing g'ment investigations would be extremely inclined to let the franchise off the hook if it gets a new owner.  

This is what I’ve always believed—that the bigger the ego and wallet, the more enticing a complete tear-down rebuild franchise would be. You are gonna get bonus points for just not being Snyder—imagine the praise and $$ once you rejuvenate or build the facilities, stadium, brand—imagine further if you win anything of note or put together a consistent period of post-season competitiveness. That has an allure you can’t really put a price on. 

• Thumb up 1

34 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

1. Facilities - they are in the tank, and new ones are a requirement

2. Stadium - it is in the tank, and a new one is a requirement

You aren't being saddled with someone else's vision, you get to oversee the design of your own stadium and facilities, pick where they are located (to some degree) and really put your own stamp on the region. 

3. Fanbase - shattered, lowest revenue in the NFL

You get to be the mother****ing hero that saved a storied and once-proud franchise from pretty much the lowest position possible.

4. Name brand - new name brand, no longer allure of Redskins

You get to pick a new one, and nobody will care about jettisoning "Commanders."  You can't go back to Redskins, but 99% chance everyone likes whatever you pick better than Commanders.  If it were me, bonus, I'd stage a mock assassination of the ridiculous pig mascot thing during pregame warmups at my first game. 

5. Legal/civil liabilities - Snyder is going to have to set $$ in escrow from the sale. So this goes toward the money Dan gets to take home versus the sale price being discounted.

We'll see if this ends up being a thing.  I think the franchise itself is on the hook for certain issues, but I also think that most adverse parties and those in charge of ongoing g'ment investigations would be extremely inclined to let the franchise off the hook if it gets a new owner.  

I agree...and as you said, those are two different things. I think it is both something that would be cool to buy because it's a reclamation project that someone could put their stamp on and save. But, with so much money that would be needed to be poured into it, that has to factor into how much you'd be willing to pay. Maybe those two things end up canceling each other out? The opportunity to create your own vision rather than being stuck with a stadium or established brand CREATES value? I'm not smart enough to quantify that...

31 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

The sale will be the largest in sports history. It will sell for significantly more than the Broncos who have fairly new stadium and won the Super Bowl not too long ago. The value of the brand are the remaining diehards plus the huge numbers who will come back as soon as we have a new owner and start winning. This is nothing like an expansion team. Regardless of how poorly Dan ran it, it’s still one of the premiere brands in all of sports. The sale price reflects that fact. 

I think you're overstating where the Washington Commanders sits in the sports world in 2023. It will be the largest sale in sports history, you're right. But I think that's the case simply because it'll be the most recent. If the Seahawks are sold in 2024, they will sell for more. Some fans will come back when Snyder leaves. Many more will stop despising the team at that time. Very few will be able to recapture what they once had because of the 20+ year beating their passion took during his stewardship. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Conn said:

This is what I’ve always believed—that the bigger the ego and wallet, the more enticing a complete tear-down rebuild franchise would be. You are gonna get bonus points for just not being Snyder—imagine the praise and $$ once you rejuvenate or build the facilities, stadium, brand—imagine further if you win anything of note or put together a consistent period of post-season competitiveness. That has an allure you can’t really put a price on. 

The pre-sale extra mud dragging supports this line of thinking as well. Just associating with near constant negativity weighs heavily on any brand.

Its the lack of revenue that gets me tho. If your gonna be last in the NFL in local revenue, it makes sense not to continue down that path. What are you really giving up?

The travel stuff I gather is especially on point considering Sheehan saying he's heard they've been cutting back on travel "perks"

I've heard that the food they serve the media during game day is among the worst if not the worst in the NFL.   Everything is 2nd class for the team, while Dan is living large on the team's dime.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/nfl-mock-draft-2023-jalen-carter-falls-after-being-issued-arrest-warrant-ravens-trade-lamar-jackson-take-qb/

The Commanders received an "F" for treatment of families and "F-minuses" in training room, locker room and team travel.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

Part of the reason I’m so pro Bezos. Josh Harris would be great get but this organization is literally the buttcrack of the NFL.

We need a major influx of cash and innovation at an unprecedented level

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

The phrase "poverty franchise" gets thrown around a lot on social media as trash talk between fans...

It actually applies here in Washington, thanks to Dan. Those rankings do not surprise me at all. It's an embarrassment. How we've signed anyone in free agency after them coming in for a visit blows my mind.

Edited by CRobi21
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Blanka said:

Part of the reason I’m so pro Bezos. Josh Harris would be great get but this organization is literally the buttcrack of the NFL.

We need a major influx of cash and innovation at an unprecedented level

Bezos in theory would be great, my one concern is he has a reputation of being cheap but hopefully that trait doesn't apply to this.

One reporter who covered Harris flat out said, he likes to go high end as far as treating players including the best facilities.

So on one hand we got a potential owner that would be the richest sports owner in the world but a little bit of a wildcard as how he'd act as an owner but intriguing.   Then we got another possibility with a dude with nowhere near Bezos' money but proven to be classy as to how to run a franchise.

I'd be cool with either one.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, FrFan said:

"sexual harassment settlements would transfer to the new owner." Micheal McCann. I don't get it since Racine filed a lawsuit against Snyder, if he's proven guilty before the sale, why should the new owner have to pay the settlements ?

The people conducting that harassment were employees of the team. The team has a (legal) responsibility for their actions and that responsibility stays with the team even though ownership might change.

That does not mean Snyder might not also still have some personal responsibilities for his own actions, but the teams responsibilities as an organization don't walk out of the door with him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

I'll bet XFL and USFL teams poll higher than that...

Sadly, I'm sure you're right. We know that many players come here from colleges and have made comments. And that's not just the SEC players where you'd expect it (since I'm sure those schools have budgets that might put many NFL teams to shame)...

46 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

I'm not so sure the city wants it. The local councilman, if I remember correctly, was putting forward a "not in my backyard" posture - citing the need for more affordable housing, etc. 

To me, I think it would be a travesty to let that site slip through our fingers. For those of us who were able to see them in the glory days, there is really nothing quite like emerging from Stadium-Armory, walking down that busy sidewalk, and turning right on the approach to the stadium. It was simply majestic.

I loved the old grassy knoll parking lot thru that tunnel under a bridge.  Was a tailgating extravaganza and easier way out of the stadium if memory serves.

3 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

How the hell do you get an F minus? We are setting new records for failure. It’s bad enough you failed but you had to turn it up to 11 when doing so.

Travel expenses in that mix which apparently they cut back even further this season according to Sheehan -- before spaghetti but now downgraded to ramen noodles that they can eat at their hotel on a hot plate?

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 minute ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

It's actually wrong, it's 'Treatment of Families' that they got an F on. No surprise there...

Just now, lavar1156 said:

F them kids

Well....

We have first hand experience in how they treat the fam.

Many of us were insulted for them

sean-t.jpg.452322b73096ffad4eb2f960b0608d22.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

How the hell do you get an F minus? We are setting new records for failure. It’s bad enough you failed but you had to turn it up to 11 when doing so.

Well in science you could manage to set fire to a lab by leaving petrol on a bunsen burner while you go to the toilet. Just as a random example. Not that I did that or anything.

• Haha 7

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Travel expenses in that mix which apparently they cut back even further this season according to Sheehan -- before spaghetti but now downgraded to ramen noodles that they can eat at their hotel on a hot plate?

Lmfao omg are you serious? Ramen noodles?! While Snyder uses the team as his personal piggybank.

The Commies / Stalin comparison is so apt. In the most tragically hilarious ways.

• Haha 2

Did you guys see this? The NFLPA had players rate their organizations based on treatment of families, training facilities, etc. Guess who came in dead last? We even got F- rankings!

https://nflpa.com/nfl-player-team-report-cards

Overview

The Washington Commanders are ranked 32nd (last) in our team guide. Besides the strength coaches who received great feedback and grades as one of the best groups in the league, the rest of the club’s operations and facilities were rated by player respondents at the bottom of every single category.

The locker room does not have confidence that club owner Dan Snyder is willing to invest to upgrade the facilities, as player responses rank him 31st in this category.

edit: looks like I'm a bit late. I suck.

Edited by ExoDus84
  • Haha 1