Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Game Prediction Thread - The Commanders vs. The Vikings ~ Cousins Bringing his Gas Grill!

zCommander

2 hours ago, London Kev said:

Can we really win four in a row? It's unlikely, but I say yes.

Redteam Commanders 23

Vikings 19

That was my bold prediction 3 games ago. Yes beating my chest for finally not buying into "Our season is over" for the 20th year in a row after starting the year 1-4.

23 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

RB1 title is over rated.

Gibby is best as a weapon, and should not be a workhorse.

Let B-Rob take the workpail carries, w/ Gibby all anyone should care about is that he gets his 15+ touches a game (touches not rushes)

10 carries, 5 recs and a couple returns. He has been able to fit in that role nicely since B-Rob came back and if he continues at the pace he will be near the top of the league in all purpose yards by the end of the year. Asking for more is just throwing him back in the same overuse problem that was prevalent all last year and the early part of this one.

B-Rob taking the weight of having to be RB Jesus off of Gibbys shoulders is what is allowing Gibby to work his magic.

If we need a RB to line up out wide due to injuries we have McK.

Don't you think its best to start your best player though?  From a fan perspective and depth charts - RB1 is the first RB in the game. Maybe Robinsons best role right now should be the short yardage and goal line back. Now our situation is in flux with BRob still getting his legs back and Gibson's awesome skill set and yes its all a matter of perspective of who our #1 RB is. I think our #3 WR this week is also our #1RB. 

I want Gibson starting he got handed a piece of humble pie and looks night and day vs how he did in preseason game 1 but it requires Turner not running him into a brick wall to start games. It almost pains me how OCs seems to waste plays IMO running the RB into the line time and time again and displaying no creativity as we pray its all to set up some miraculous play that rarely seems to materialize. I think its nothing more than run of the mill play action which is simply passing anytime a defense expects run. PA falls flat on its face when the RB runs into a brickwall gain of 0 on first down. Then its an obvious passing down and the DL tees off. This happens far too often.

Why is 1st and 10 universally accepted as a run down? 3 and 3 used to be a run down, but hasn't been for a decade +.

I want a Gibson led dynamic pass first run after the pass works offense. You can be a pass first offense and have a 5050 run pass split.

Edited by RandyHolt

On 11/1/2022 at 4:32 PM, Csup said:

I'm rooting for Kirk to get a revenge win against Washington, but something tells me Washington upsets the Vikings , 31-28

It's been 5 years...both sides were more or less proven right in one form or another and I don't think anyone cares anymore lol...Plus only like 3 current players were here when Kirk was our QB, I don't think any of the coaches were, and the entire front office from his time here is gone. Hell, even the name is gone lol...and the owner might soon be. Who is he getting revenge against?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

It's been 5 years...both sides were more or less proven right in one form or another and I don't think anyone cares anymore lol...Plus only like 3 current players were here when Kirk was our QB, I don't think any of the coaches were, and the entire front office from his time here is gone. Hell, even the name is gone lol...and the owner might soon be. Who is he getting revenge against?

Plus he already had his revenge game in 2019, the last time we faced the Vikings. But I already pointed that out and to his credit, csup ackowledged it 

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Don't you think its best to start your best player though?  From a fan perspective and depth charts - RB1 is the first RB in the game. Maybe Robinsons best role right now should be the short yardage and goal line back. Now our situation is in flux with BRob still getting his legs back and Gibson's awesome skill set and yes its all a matter of perspective of who our #1 RB is. I think our #3 WR this week is also our #1RB. 

I want Gibson starting he got handed a piece of humble pie and looks night and day vs how he did in preseason game 1 but it requires Turner not running him into a brick wall to start games. It almost pains me how OCs seems to waste plays IMO running the RB into the line time and time again and displaying no creativity as we pray its all to set up some miraculous play that rarely seems to materialize. I think its nothing more than run of the mill play action which is simply passing anytime a defense expects run. PA falls flat on its face when the RB runs into a brickwall gain of 0 on first down. Then its an obvious passing down and the DL tees off. This happens far too often.

Why is 1st and 10 universally accepted as a run down? 3 and 3 used to be a run down, but hasn't been for a decade +.

I want a Gibson led dynamic pass first run after the pass works offense. You can be a pass first offense and have a 5050 run pass split.

I get what you’re saying, Gibson has looked better running the ball than Robinson. 

I have some theories, and I’d be curious to get validation (or correction!) from our resident experts:

I think, to some extent, it’s expected that Gibson would look like the better runner.  When he’s in the game, defenses are more focused on preventing him from running it outside, whereas it’s the reverse for Robinson.  So, on runs between the tackles, Robinson is more likely to face more traffic.  Specific to Gibson, you’re leaning into what he does best (using his speed to capture the edge, getting him into space), and lightening the middle for when he runs between the tackles (in theory, and in comparison to Robinson).

Then look at it from a PA perspective.  I’m guessing here, but I think the majority of PA passing is off runs between the tackles, and that there’s a good reason for that - the oline is still in front of the qb (protecting him) vs flowing away from him, the qb has the option to scramble left, right or up the middle (if you get the D flowing one way, that avenue is a no go for scrambling), and you ideally get the linebackers crashing down to open up the middle of the field.  And lastly, you’d probably prefer your back in the middle (after faking a handoff) - able to hit a block anywhere along the line - vs only being able to cover one side.

Lastly, you’re reducing the load on Gibson (not to mention reducing his chances at fumbling), leading to less wear and tear from inside runs and collisions in pass pro.  You’re therefore keeping him fresher in-game, and game to game, which likely means a bit more explosion/speed when his number is called (run or pass).

As to 1st and 10, I believe Turner used to lean pass, but in order to commit to a run heavy offense, he has had to lean more towards running on 1st.  Hard to say for sure, but I’m guessing that (along with some qb scrambles thrown in) has tired out defenses a bit and lead to more success offensively later in games.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Tress Way.

• Haha 1