Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New OC Thread (Welcome Aboard Eric Bieniemy!)

samy316

RR's got to know that EB's gonna get offers for HC in 2024.  I think EB becomes our next HC in 2024 if we do well and make the playoffs and RR takes another title but has a lot of authority.  

19 minutes ago, RWJ said:

RR's got to know that EB's gonna get offers for HC in 2024.  I think EB becomes our next HC in 2024 if we do well and make the playoffs and RR takes another title but has a lot of authority.  

He won’t get any offers if he doesn’t improve this offense…

I have a far fetched hunch that EB has been guaranteed the HC job when ron hangs them up… and that’ll be after this season. The GMs are Ron’s guys so they’d be in on it.

otherwise, they the **** would he have come here?? For added play calling duties? That just doesn’t add up to me.

1 hour ago, CTskin said:

He won’t get any offers if he doesn’t improve this offense…

I have a far fetched hunch that EB has been guaranteed the HC job when ron hangs them up… and that’ll be after this season. The GMs are Ron’s guys so they’d be in on it.

otherwise, they the **** would he have come here?? For added play calling duties? That just doesn’t add up to me.

He needs to raise his profile as OC. Everyone assumes Reid has been running the show. He needed to get out from under that shadow.

If he turns our offense into a top 12 ish unit, he'll get HC offers up the wazoo.

I don't think he can be guaranteed anything here beyond 2023 when there is gonna be new ownership.

Maybe EB will be the first OC since ... ever?  to implement a no-huddle offense here. At least at times.  

For whatever reason, for literally ever, we never seem to want to use tempo.  It wasn't a GIbbs I thing, not a Norv thing, not a Marty thing, not even a Spurrier thing (which is somewhat surprising), not a Gibbs II thing, Zorn didn't have a thing, Shanahan didn't really use it, though he was most apt to use it at times, Jay couldn't figure it out, and Scott was allergic to it, even with a QB who had been in his system forever and theoretically knew it as well as anybody.  

We've never, ever had tempo.  

I want tempo.  Not all the time.  But every so often, just go no-huddle and speed things up a bit.  Catch defenses off-guard.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 3

@Voice_of_ReasonYeah, it should be on the table every time our D pitches a 3 and out or our offense is struggling to move the ball (though not just those two situations).  Ironically, with a young qb and a new offense, this might be the hardest season to pull it off… even as we finally have an OC that might utilize it.

Sidenote - I’ve said it before, but as much as I disliked Chip Kelly, running uptempo practices meant guys were getting a whole lot more reps than most other teams.  What a benefit to guys that could use additional reps - young qbs, back of the roster guys, etc., not to mention installing new plays/wrinkles in-season.

• Like 2

EB came here to show the nfl he can run an offense on his own. He turns our offense around; he gets head coaching offers in 24. Next year could see anywhere from 5 to 10 openings.

EB can’t be promised anything here. If does well, maybe the new owner makes him head coach.

6 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't see us going no huddle with what will essentially be a rookie QB and everyone else being in the first year of a new system.

You're just asking for False Starts and Ilegal Formations.

There’s some truth to this, but many times young QBs thrive in hurry-up situations because they don’t have to account for substitutions and they can dictate the pace to a tired defense. When you can get a young guy into a rhythm like that it can actually unlock their comfort level and have them playing instinctually like they did in college, rather than having time to overthink things 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 3/7/2023 at 10:38 PM, Warhead36 said:

He needs to raise his profile as OC. Everyone assumes Reid has been running the show. He needed to get out from under that shadow.

If he turns our offense into a top 12 ish unit, he'll get HC offers up the wazoo.

I don't think he can be guaranteed anything here beyond 2023 when there is gonna be new ownership.

Fun fact.

Andy Reid never called plays while under Mike Holmgren (first play call in the NFL was as head coach of the eagles).

Fun fact part 2:

There has been 4 coaches from the offensive side of Andy Reid's coaching tree that got an opportunity to be a head coach in the NFL (Doug Peterson being the most successful). ...none of them, not one, called plays while under Andy Reid.

That said, we all will find out together.

I just want the noise around his OC play calling to end.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, dc1 said:

Fun fact.

Andy Reid never called plays while under Mike Holmgren (first play call in the NFL was as head coach of the eagles).

Fun fact part 2:

There has been 4 coaches from the offensive side of Andy Reid's coaching tree that got an opportunity to be a head coach in the NFL (Doug Peterson being the most successful). ...none of them, not one, called plays while under Andy Reid.

That said, we all will find out together.

I just want the noise around his OC play calling to end.

This was a nicely conceived, and perfectly delivered post, @dc1. 

I have not fact checked the statements, but I hope they are true and certainly appreciate your point. 👍

Whos Line Is It Anyway Thumbs Up GIF

:229:The Rook

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

@dc1

What 4 offensive guys are you talking about?

I know Doug Peterson and Matt Nagy called plays under Reid b4 they went on to get HC jobs.

a quick, albeit not entirely fact checked google search does show you are correct 

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/platform/amp/2016/1/19/10793458/doug-pederson-was-calling-more-plays-for-the-chiefs-than-we-realized

looks as if Pederson called some early and then was calling more later on during his time. 

also, https://www.nfl.com/_amp/andy-reid-gives-chiefs-play-calling-role-to-matt-nagy-0ap3000000886304

both of them appeared to have similar roles in play calling to EB, but it seems he had more people doubting it. Either way, I guess we’ll have a full season to see how he does

• Like 2

14 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

@dc1

What 4 offensive guys are you talking about?

I know Doug Peterson and Matt Nagy called plays under Reid b4 they went on to get HC jobs.

The following were all offensive coordinators, or quality control staff under Andy Reid. Each received a Head Coaching opportunity:

Doug Peterson (Quality Control/QB Coach)
Brad Childress (OC/QB Coach)
Matt Nagy (Quality Control) 
Pat Schumer (QB Coach with 2 years of OC)

Neither of them called plays in a live game while Reid was activity coaching/unimpaired.  They may have helped with design but not active play calling.

I hope this helps.

Edited by dc1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/10/2023 at 4:00 PM, dc1 said:

The following were all offensive coordinators, or quality control staff under Andy Reid. Each received a Head Coaching opportunity:

Doug Peterson (Quality Control/QB Coach)
Brad Childress (OC/QB Coach)
Matt Nagy (Quality Control) 
Pat Schumer (QB Coach with 2 years of OC)

Neither of them called plays in a live game while Reid was activity coaching/unimpaired.  They may have helped with design but not active play calling.

I hope this helps.

I think it’s important to point out for the sake of clarity, all the guys called plays under Reid from time to time.  Reid allowed all of them to do it at different times in limited action.  Either as a change up or to give guys experience.  Reid has always been extremely tight lipped about who does it when.  There are a few reports about it over the years. 

In the end, it’s kidof irrelevant.  Reid has always been the primary play caller while he’s been the HC.  He enjoys it and he’s damn good at it.  But he also takes a ton of input from others.  

• Like 2

On 3/9/2023 at 9:52 AM, Warhead36 said:

I don't see us going no huddle with what will essentially be a rookie QB and everyone else being in the first year of a new system.

You're just asking for False Starts and Ilegal Formations.

I agree with @Conn

Every coach I’ve heard said tempo helps young QBs because it simplifies both the offense and the defense.  Defenses typically do 1 or 2 things when they face hurry up, they can’t communicate and organize complex and exotic coverages, and they have to play with the same personnel.  

It actually has the opposite effect, it makes the QB’s life easier.  Also, the coach can still talk to the QB while he’s at the LOS. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I think most of the time up tempo is reserved for end of halves. Most QB's do not have the green light that Peyton Manning did to just go up tempo on a whim.

To go hurry up, the coaches really have to trust a QB and give up some play calling authority to them. As that QB will have a narrow basket of hurry up concepts with that personnel they can execute. Walk up to the line, and check it to only a few things. That sort of thing Peyton worked great at, as he had his bread and butter concepts that looked identical, and in some cases they'd have the same route stem, but different breaks. 1st play X WR does a 10 yard out, 2nd play X WR does a 10 yard out and up, 3rd play X WR does a 10 yard out and comeback. He'd rotate through them. Simple, easy to execute, and easy to switch to hurry up with.

I remember when he went to the Broncos, it took half a season to "gel". In part because he had to wrest play power away from the coaches. He couldn't do his hurry up exploits when he saw an opportunity. By the end of the season, Peyton had basically just carried most of what he did and how he operated from the Colts to the Broncos.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Other than here where we tend to to go down tempo in those situations.

Sometimes that makes sense. With Heinicke we weren't exactly winning games through a high powered offense. So grind out the clock, limit the number of opportunities for the other team. End of halves with Heinicke should try and get into scoring range while draining enough clock that the other team either won't get the ball back or won't be able to do anything.

2 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

I wonder if there will be conflict between EB and Ron. EB seems like a guy who will put his players through the paces but not sure Ron will?  Specially, training camp/ preseason.   There’s a reason why Ron mostly starts out poor.

Healthy debate, no conflict. Andy Reid, Ron and EB have manufactured this situation between themselves for 2023.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

I wonder if there will be conflict between EB and Ron. EB seems like a guy who will put his players through the paces but not sure Ron will?  Specially, training camp/ preseason.   There’s a reason why Ron mostly starts out poor.

Yea, Ron targeted someone, waited til lthe SB to interview, interviewed several other very well qualified candidates to land on a guy he cant get a long with. That literally makes no sense at all. This was another one of your posts that is a very poorly vieled attempt to pose what could be a legitimate question only to turn it into a slam on Ron R which is/was your only real objective.

I am so hoping the next owners give Ron a 5 yr extention!  🙂  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 3

27 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Yea, Ron targeted someone, waited til lthe SB to interview, interviewed several other very well qualified candidates to land on a guy he cant get a long with. That literally makes no sense at all. This was another one of your posts that is a very poorly vieled attempt to pose what could be a legitimate question only to turn it into a slam on Ron R which is/was your only real objective.

I am so hoping the next owners give Ron a 5 yr extention!  🙂  

The Office No GIF

Edited by samy316
  • Haha 3