Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

😀😀 Ron fired days ago. Mission Accomplished.😀😄

88Comrade2000

15 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It can be part of the retirement/separation agreement.  Make it amicable rather than forced.  Ron agrees to retire/resign, Josh pays him the majority of the money he is owed for next year in exchange for a smooth transition.  Helps everybody from a perception perspective.  

My guess is this was worked out over the bye week or even during the mini-bye after Thanksgiving.  Probably between Harris and Ron's agent.  Conversation with Ron was probably something along the lines of, "look, truly respect everything you've done.  We're going to move in a different direction next year.  Let's just finish out the year as best as possible, at the end, we'll call it a mutual separation, and we'll handle it with the class and dignity you have earned. In exchange for you continuing to coach the team for the remainder of the year, I'll pay out the last year of your contract."

It's win-win for everybody.  Sure, it's a firing, but handled with dignity.  There is no reason to embarrass the guy more than he has done to himself.  The way Dan/Bruce fired Jay was bush league.  The way Dan fired Norv was bush league.  Neither were good coaches, both needed to be fired.  But do it with some professionalism and dignity.  

And it's why I think the news is going to be leaked before the Dallas game, and I think Ron addresses it in some vague manner after the game at his last Commander's presser.  

I see your point, but the retire/fired distinction is critical for Ron, both in terms of him getting all the pay he's due next year and for him to be able to coach in the future if he wants to. If he retires, the Commanders would hold his rights in perpetuity for that additional year and would be able to demand compensation from any team that wanted to hire him.

Since everyone's going to know it's really a firing anyway, Ron gains nothing by doing a fake retirement. What I do see happening is Ron and Josh agreeing on a joint statement that respects both sides. I doubt it'll be that tough. Josh would look bad by disrespecting Ron, regardless.

• Thumb up 2

I'd be very suprised if EB is a HC anywhere next year.  One national reporter, forgot his name, but it was the one who wrote the article with Keim about the team a week ago, I think it was Fowler who knew EB for eons doesn't expect him to end up a HC next season.  But thinks he has a good shot at a lateral OC move.  Will see.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

40 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I mean, he GOT 15 interviews.  That says something right? 

I think it speaks more to Reid.  

And I’m not some EB hater tap dancing on his poor showing here.  I was hopeful that he would work out here, and I’ve given him plenty of rope regarding personnel.  He just hasn’t been impressive at all as a game planner or playcaller, which were the items missing from his resume.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Just saw the Mike McDaniel clip of him predicting a one play TD drive to Waddle and BAM it happens. Imagine having a coach with that kind of a pulse on the game?

Meanwhile our dinosaur just stands on the sideline with his arms folded, unsure if his team is still in playoff contention or not.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

24 minutes ago, profusion said:

I see your point, but the retire/fired distinction is critical for Ron, both in terms of him getting all the pay he's due next year and for him to be able to coach in the future if he wants to. If he retires, the Commanders would hold his rights in perpetuity for that additional year and would be able to demand compensation from any team that wanted to hire him.

Since everyone's going to know it's really a firing anyway, Ron gains nothing by doing a fake retirement. What I do see happening is Ron and Josh agreeing on a joint statement that respects both sides. I doubt it'll be that tough. Josh would look bad by disrespecting Ron, regardless.

That can be worked out as well. If you wanted to.  

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd be very suprised if EB is a HC anywhere next year.  One national reporter, forgot his name, but it was the one who wrote the article with Keim about the team a week ago, I think it was Fowler who knew EB for eons doesn't expect him to end up a HC next season.  But thinks he has a good shot at a lateral OC move.  Will see.

I think it was Fowler.  

My thought is if there are 8 or less openings there is no chance.  

If there are 10, somebody unqualified is getting a job.  

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Just saw the Mike McDaniel clip of him predicting a one play TD drive to Waddle and BAM it happens. Imagine having a coach with that kind of a pulse on the game?

Meanwhile our dinosaur just stands on the sideline with his arms folded, unsure if his team is still in playoff contention or not.

I have a prediction: the shine is going to come off of McDaniel by the end of next season if they don’t get to at least the afc championship game.  

Not that it should.  But his act will wear thin if they’re not winning.  And they haven’t beaten a team with a winning record yet I don’t think.

I think he’s a hell of a coach and I’d love him here.  But the quirkiness only will play if they’re winning.  

3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

That can be worked out as well. If you wanted to.  

I think it was Fowler.  

My thought is if there are 8 or less openings there is no chance.  

If there are 10, somebody unqualified is getting a job.  

I think the goal line debacle against the Rams speaks volumes as to EB  and him getting a HC or OC gig. That was an embarrassment of time management and playcalling.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think he’s a hell of a coach and I’d love him here.  But the quirkiness only will play if they’re winning.  

Of course. I even said at the time he was hired, after hearing him on Pat McAfee show, that this guy is either gonna be the best coach in the league or complete and utter garbage.

But he's the perfect combination of intellect and personality that meshes with the modern generation. His scheme fits the talent of his roster perfectly. And his positive/energetic attitude completely revitalized Tua's career which was on the verge of sinking.

But hearing him speak he always talks about valuing process and the way he goes about doing things and how much he learned from the Shanahans and McVay about that. That's the kind of guy we need.

• Like 2

I don't see EB getting a HC gig offa this.

On top of the on the field stuff the current players don't vibe with him either, and that will propagate as well.

I can see him getting some Rooney Rule invites tho.

End of the day I don't really care. He is not good here, and I don't want him here bringing his same brand of fail to the next administration when we are so uniquely positioned for a clean break and a fresh start. If someone else sees something in him and wants to give him a shot, let them. I've seen nothing from him that is more valuable than his departure and the clean slate that vacuum creates.

Just now, Chris 44 said:

I think the goal line debacle against the Rams speaks volumes as to EB  and him getting a HC or OC gig. That was an embarrassment of time management and playcalling.

So many outlets were directly blaming Ron for that. lol

Was he supposed to just take over the O or something.

• Like 3

heard some of Ron's presser today. Typically I'd make some joke about how he contradicts himself 4 times in 30 seconds, and then says "I truly do" after saying something nobody else would believe. But, credit for sitting up there and not just saying yes and no. Even if he couldn't answer a simple question about getting younger guys more playing time with being eliminated. He gave some answer about looking for opportunities that didn't even say because he wants to win the game. It was confusing and sad. 

2 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

End of the day I don't really care. He is not good here, and I don't want him here bringing his same brand of fail to the next administration when we are so uniquely positioned for a clean break and a fresh start. If someone else sees something in him and wants to give him a shot, let them. I've seen nothing from him that is more valuable than his departure and the clean slate that vacuum creates.

So many outlets were directly blaming Ron for that. lol

Was he supposed to just take over the O or something.

If EB gets a head coaching gig we would get two 3rd picks. We all should want that outcome. I doubt he gets fired until all the vacancies are filled then he will get his walking papers. 

49ers are geniuses at that. They have received 10 third round picks. 2 for Marin Mayhew, 2 for Robert Saleh, 2 for Mike McDaniel, 2 for Ran Carthon and 2 for DeMeco Ryan. Steve Wilks might end up with a head coaching gig and they will get 2 more. That level of draft capital is priceless for becoming a factory of minority coach/gm candidate production. We traded the second overall pick for one of those comp picks and the 49ers keep churning out more. The new regime needs to get in on that action. 

Edited by SoCalSkins
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

If EB gets a head coaching gig we would get two 3rd picks. We all should want that outcome. I doubt he gets fired until all the vacancies are filled then he will get his walking papers. 

49ers are geniuses at that. They have received 10 third round picks. 2 for Marin Mayhew, 2 for Robert Saleh, 2 for Mike McDaniel, 2 for Ran Carthon and 2 for DeMeco Ryan. Steve Wilks might end up with a head coaching gig and they will get 2 more. That level of draft capital is priceless for becoming a factory of minority coach/gm candidate production. We traded the second overall pick for one of those comp picks and the 49ers keep churning out more. The new regime needs to get in on that action. 

Nah. He’d need to be here two years first, we aren’t eligible for comp picks based on EB getting hired.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Conn said:

Nah. He’d need to be here two years first, we aren’t eligible for comp picks based on EB getting hired.

I didn’t know it was a 2 year requirement. Good to know. Also it’s kinda weird who qualifies. I watch Hard Knocks and McDaniel looks like a typical goofy white millennial and Robert Saleh is iffy too. 

6 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

I didn’t know it was a 2 year requirement. Good to know. Also it’s kinda weird who qualifies. I watch Hard Knocks and McDaniel looks like a typical goofy white millennial and Robert Saleh is iffy too. 

I mean, this is veering toward Tailgate territory but it’s not about who can “pass” as white. 

Also Saleh looks like an exact clone of the dude who played Xerxes in The 300. Even though he’s Lebanese and that dude is Brazilian or something, it wouldn’t even occur to me to think he was white lol. 

Either way speculating on who looks whiter than they are is iffy territory even without bad intentions. Though you’re  probably safer speculating as a fellow non-white guy :ols:

Either way probably more of a Tailgate-adjacent topic. 

• Thumb up 2

6 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

To be fair, I bet Ron can predict what’s going to happen when our team takes the field with similar accuracy. I know I can.

”I am visualizing a three and out.”

” I predict we give up a touchdown here”

” I’m manifesting a ****ty snap that rolls on the ground and gets our best player, the punter, wrecked.”

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff

Thought this was intersting...

Albert Breer connecting some dots (or throwing a bunch of 💩 at the wall) with a scenario where WAS trades a 1st round pick for Mike Tomlin.

I'm not into it...feels like a Dan move that inevitably crashes and burns for some reason.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/12/20/mike-tomlin-future-with-steelers-hot-coaching-candidates-mailbag

10 minutes ago, klwilkins1977 said:

Lol.... What if the new regime and GM decide Ron deserves another shot after having to deal with the previous ownership circus?  You down?

3... 2... 1...

YES!! But only if they make a corresponding move… One that causes the title of the QB thread to be changed from “With Howell the Season Went” to “With How the Season Wentz”

59 minutes ago, formerly4skins said:

Thought this was intersting...

Albert Breer connecting some dots (or throwing a bunch of 💩 at the wall) with a scenario where WAS trades a 1st round pick for Mike Tomlin.

I'm not into it...feels like a Dan move that inevitably crashes and burns for some reason.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/12/20/mike-tomlin-future-with-steelers-hot-coaching-candidates-mailbag

So stupid. Not just the idea that we’d do this, but the idea that anyone would do a franchise the favor of trading for a guy like Tomlin when they could just wait and force the Steelers to fire him if the relationship is really over. Same with Belichick. 

The Payton thing is extremely rare and was a very different situation—and still very stupid! 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

11 hours ago, Conn said:

So stupid. Not just the idea that we’d do this, but the idea that anyone would do a franchise the favor of trading for a guy like Tomlin when they could just wait and force the Steelers to fire him if the relationship is really over. Same with Belichick. 

The Payton thing is extremely rare and was a very different situation—and still very stupid! 

Has trading for a coach ever worked out? The only time that might qualify would be the Bucs trading for Jon Gruden and then immediately winning the title. He did it with Dungy's players, though, and never got close to that again. It's just as likely the Bucs would have won that year with Dungy, anyway, because that team was amazing.

And yes, trading for Tomlin would be a quintessential Danny Boy move. I see nothing in the record supporting the idea that Josh would do that. He's going to want a fresher, analytics-focused hire.

3 hours ago, profusion said:

Has trading for a coach ever worked out? The only time that might qualify would be the Bucs trading for Jon Gruden and then immediately winning the title. He did it with Dungy's players, though, and never got close to that again. It's just as likely the Bucs would have won that year with Dungy, anyway, because that team was amazing.

And yes, trading for Tomlin would be a quintessential Danny Boy move. I see nothing in the record supporting the idea that Josh would do that. He's going to want a fresher, analytics-focused hire.

Well the Pats traded for Bellicheck as well...

But yeah no there is no way an analytics driven owner would approve of trading a 1st round pick for a coach. No chance.

• Like 4