Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Washington Redski....err... Commanders at Baltimore Colt... err...Brown...errr...Ravens

TK
Message added by TK,

327930866_ScreenShot2022-08-27at9_58_46PM.thumb.png.685ef0326dfb767c65348de46e3359d5.png

21 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Holmes was the CB on the other side of Neil who they went after pretty hard. Now, I don't know if that means they didn't think they could attack Holmes or they wanted to attack Neil, but they never threw at Holmes. I will say in Niels defense and Butler too, they were rookies going against a veteran WR and aren't use to the speed of the game yet. I've heard both players looked good in camp though. Corn Elder keeps making plays though.

So I see 6 tackles. Pfr has things like QB rating against and yards per reception but that's for regular season. I know what I'll do. I'll look at the play by play to see when he was picked on

2nd 2:26 - BAL 1st & 10, at BAL 44

Anthony Brown passed to Shemar Bridges to the right for 8 yard gain, tackled by Christian Holmes

2nd 3:02 - BAL 1st & 10, at BAL 31

Anthony Brown passed to Demarcus Robinson down the middle for 13 yard gain, tackled by Christian Holmes
2nd 3:46 - BAL 2nd & 9, at BAL 21
Anthony Brown passed to Makai Polk to the right for 10 yard gain, tackled by Christian Holmes
3rd 14:26 - BAL 1st & 10, at WAS 25
Anthony Brown passed to Demarcus Robinson to the right for 3 yard gain, tackled by Christian Holmes
4th 3:15 - BAL 2nd & 13, at BAL 28
Anthony Brown passed to Binjimen Victor to the right for 5 yard gain, tackled by Christian Holmes
4th 4:36 - BAL 3rd & 11, at BAL 20
Anthony Brown passed to Binjimen Victor to the right for 11 yard gain, tackled by Christian Holmes

Looking at that, it doesn't seem like a bad game. Gave upa few first downs but nothing over the top. 

Edited by Thinking Skins
  • Like 1

Our offensive line got manhandled but what else is new when we play the Ravens.

How is it physically possible for a team to even win 23 consecutive preseason games?? It's not like Harbaugh plays his starters the whole game. He's playing 2s and 3s and people who will be working at Home Depot next month just like everyone else! You'd think by a stroke of bad luck alone, that they'd lose one game during this preposterous streak.

Really the only take away from me for the preseason is thank god I dont have to listen to Doc Walker call another game for about another year. As far as the football stuff goes? Who knows. I was relatively happy with the limited play we saw from Wentz, The defensive backfield and LB's are still putrid IMO and the TE situation is concerning. Overall we appear to have come through the preseason healthy. And in the end that is all that really matters. 

4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Really the only take away from me for the preseason is thank god I dont have to listen to Doc Walker call another game for about another year. As far as the football stuff goes? Who knows. I was relatively happy with the limited play we saw from Wentz, The defensive backfield and LB's are still putrid IMO and the TE situation is concerning. Overall we appear to have come through the preseason healthy. And in the end that is all that really matters. 

I really hope they don't bring back Doc next year. It was so awful that I actually watched the Ravens broadcast with pleasure. If you want to know what a real organization looks like I would suggest watching one of their broadcasts start to finish including the hour long postgame show with podium appearances. So much more insightful and professional than what we put out. They were actively talking about 3rd string players during the broadcast and going in depth about them as players and whether they could make the team. It was truly night and day and just another example of why we are a joke in the league.

• Like 6

Yep. I switched to the enemy broadcast maybe for the first ever. 

Albert: Hey Doc, do you think Erickson will make the team; who is he up against and how many wideouts do you think RR will keep?

Doc: Listen. I like the the kid but he's gotta fight. You gotta want it. If he don't fight his guts out I don't want him on our team.

Time for the annual "he will never make it through waivers" predictions.  I always say if anyone gets plucked its someone no one predicted. 

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

If Commies move; Only way DC got another team is if some team moved here.

If the nfl ever expanded; it’s likely overseas.

Basicly.

Panthers, Steelers, and Ravens are already carving up our TV Market and fanbase while we're still alive.

Folks hoping Snyder leaves and takes the franchise with him better be careful what they wish for...they might jus get it.

15 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Basicly.

Panthers, Steelers, and Ravens are already carving up our TV Market and fanbase while we're still alive.

Folks hoping Snyder leaves and takes the franchise with him better be careful what they wish for...they might jus get it.

Can't see the league approving a move, especially doing something else to help Snyder if he's hurting them. They'd put together enough votes to remove him as owner before enough to approve a move. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Can't see the league approving a move, especially doing something else to help Snyder if he's hurting them. They'd put together enough votes to remove him as owner before enough to approve a move. 

Why, though?

The franchise is 90 years old and already moved once, so it being a cornerstone franchise only goes so far especially with us acting like a dormat for so long that most NFL fans have forgotten or don't know that.

LA lost teams before, it's not about size of a market, look at how many franchises were left in Cali even when they left, that's the point of franchises around the area close enough to fill the gap.

Is it going to cost the owners anymore money then them staying is already costing them?  What precedent would be set by taking a team from an owner because the other ones don't agree with them moving?  No way that precedent gets set, Snyder loses the team it won't be over that. 

Just now, Renegade7 said:

Why, though?

The franchise is 90 years old and already moved once, so it being a cornerstone franchise only goes so far especially with us acting like a dormat for so long that most NFL fans have forgotten or don't know that.

LA lost teams before, it's not about size of a market, look at how many franchises were left in Cali even when they left, that's the point of franchises around the area close enough to fill the gap.

Is it going to cost the owners anymore money then them staying is already costing them?  What precedent would be set by taking a team from an owner because the other ones don't agree with them moving?  No way that precedent gets set, Snyder loses the team it won't be over that. 

Because the league wants this market more than it would tolerate Snyder as an owner. Snyder might get a more friendly stadium deal from a St. Louis because they are desperate. But the word on him is out. He's a bad bet to give money to. 

Also, he's the type of asshole who would never move to another city. He'd stay at FedEx another 30 years first. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Why, though?

3 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Because the league wants this market more than it would tolerate Snyder as an owner. Snyder might get a more friendly stadium deal from a St. Louis because they are desperate. But the word on him is out. He's a bad bet to give money to. 

Also, he's the type of asshole who would never move to another city. He'd stay at FedEx another 30 years first. 

There's a thread for this fellas. Mind taking it there?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I agree with everything @Koolblue13 and @Thinking Skins.  A few additional notes from me: 

1. Especially in quick game, Howell has a tendency to set his feet, stare exactly where he is throwing, wait, throw.  It worked a couple times, and then it started to not work.  It reminds me of something Joe Montana, who might have been the king of the 3 step drop, he said that he always dropped back with his eyes squarely on the middle of the field, then took a hitch step to where his first read was.  By the time he took the hitch step, it was time to throw the ball if the first read was open.  That both keeps with the timing of the play and also doesn't tip-off the defense.  Howell needs to practice something like that, because it was obvious to me, and if it was obvious to me, defensive staffs would pick up on it.

2.  Also on Howell, I thought he was very effective when he was playing with essentially the 2's.  When the 3's came out, things weren't as smooth, and that's to be expected.  

3. Final point on Howell, I think his best throw of the game was the throw to DBrown across the middle. He dropped back, looked one way, came back and delivered a strike to Brown.  Brown also ran a good route (more on him later). The ball was a little high, but very catchable, and it was a 3rd down conversion if I'm not mistaken.  Howell has the ability to do that, and I think he will grow in time.  It was great seeing him get the entire game. He's going to get the entire year in the film room, and then, if all goes according to plan, he would be the backup entering next season.  

4. D. Brown: He had one good catch (the one I described above), he had one obvious drop, and he had one throw down the sideline where the ball was slightly overthrown, OR he wasn't where he was supposed to be.  Not sure.  Frankly, that's not good enough for where he was drafted.  I still don't think they are going to cut a 3rd round pick after 1 year, because he has talent.  But I think he's played his way into that situation.  I bet they would love to cut him and bring him back to the practice squad.  My feeling is he wouldn't clear waivers, but I'm not sure, he might.  This is probably the moth significant roster battle that had some type of a definitive outcome from last nigt.

5. Milne has made the team, and will be active on gamedays. (I hope he and Zach Wilson's ex-girlfriend celebrate well and rub it in the Jet's Equipment Manager's face. Sorry, I just find it hysterical probably the most known thing about our 5th wideout is he was the subject of twitter abuse about dating Wilson's ex.  You can't make this stuff up.) He's had a very good camp, by all accounts

6. John Toth is the worst center I've ever seen play, and I expect him to not only not be on the roster, but not on our practice squad.  

7. The "they're not going to make the team" OL overall was very bad.

8. In the first half, there were a few totally broken coverages.  That's going to happen from time-to-time when the guys calling the defense are guys who probably don't get a lot of practice doing it, and some of whom might not even make the team.  But that's not a good look. 

9. To say the offense was "vanilla" is an insult to good vanilla.  They really ran about 4 different concepts and ran the ball a bunch.  It was clear they had no game plan, they didn't try and really set anything up, they were just out there running base plays.  In a real game, I think it will look very different.  

10. Ron said he you want to win every game. I don't think that's true.  I think after the first 4 series, if he was allowed to, he would have forfeited the game and gone home and gotten in bed.  I think he saw everything he wanted to and needed to.  From there on out, it was "run the clock, run the clock, run the clock."  Personally, I have no issue with this.  I'm sure others do.  

Overall, because of Howell, there was a reason to watch the game, and I am glad I did.  If TH had played, there is no way I would have bothered watching.  That's not a slight on TH, but I wanted to see how the rookie QB looked more than anything else.  

Final word: The person who needs to be fired most was whoever thought it would be a good idea to put Doc on the telecast.  My God man.  Doc was TERRIBLE in a way that is hard to describe.  He appeals to the absolute lowest common denominator of fans who can only understand "trying harder wins."  Some schtick is ok, but it's like he printed out notecards on nonsensical sayings before the game and just read them in order without paying attention to anything else.  I feel terrible for Kenny Albert, who had to suffer through that.  If I was Kenny, I would tell the Commanders next year he would prefer to do the broadcast to a soundtrack of a castrated goat rather than with Doc again.  He was absolutely the worst part of the entire experience.

Though as a side-note, I loved the "hero" music videos which were posted in the thread.  That was fun.  

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

The same old **** with this team, no matter if it's preseason, regular season, and who the hell is in there.

1. They can't put the ball in the endzone.  They have to settle for field goals too often, and even miss those too often.  You can't get into the redzone and take field goals all the time.

2. We can't get off the field on 3rd down.  Sure last night they did good with that stat, but that is the outlier, and they still lost the game.

3. The secondary sucks.  They let up way too many big plays and they give up way too much of a cushion.

4. The team has absolutely no discipline and takes way too many penalties.  How many damn times are we moving the ball then get stalled due to some stupid ass penalty.  It doesn't matter if it is the starters or 3rd stringers, it is a constant over the past decade+.

I mean I am hopeful that they do something this season, but history has shown me that this is going to just be more of the same.  We'll score like 10-17 points a game and win some "exciting" squeakers like 13-10.  I hope I'm wrong but I mean I've literally seen nothing that would make me think otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

There's a thread for this fellas. Mind taking it there?

I there isn't is a thread for other franchises encroaching on our TV market as egregiously as i saw last night by the Ravens (which was my original point), but I'll drop it here, becauae your right it doesn't belong here, my bad.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

4. D. Brown: He had one good catch (the one I described above), he had one obvious drop, and he had one throw down the sideline where the ball was slightly overthrown, OR he wasn't where he was supposed to be.  Not sure.  Frankly, that's not good enough for where he was drafted.  I still don't think they are going to cut a 3rd round pick after 1 year, because he has talent.  But I think he's played his way into that situation.  I bet they would love to cut him and bring him back to the practice squad.  My feeling is he wouldn't clear waivers, but I'm not sure, he might. 

This is probably the moth significant roster battle that had some type of a definitive outcome from last nigt.

Regarding the bolded Brown bit- did you see the video a little earlier in this thread that was up close and slowed down? The ball literally drops perfectly in his hands at first before he kind of bobbles it away.

Regarding the bolded portion at the bottom:
vs godzilla GIF

godzilla GIF

• Haha 3