Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Commanders 'n Chiefs (No Politics In The Stadium Edition)

TK
Message added by TK,

1473048416_ScreenShot2022-08-20at7_02_19PM.thumb.png.3bf5e06fac0d3b28aad7603b4ee91d11.png

Maybe someone can explain why our DB's play so far off the LOS?? Looks like a 5-8 yard pasture for WR/TE to play in No press at all The DB's are on their heels the whole time moving backwards with a 3 yard cushion and only plant after the WR/TE cuts in front??? No contact at all. I hate the defensive zone scheme. I understand zone coverage and passing off responsibilities but to not try and interrupt the timing??? Are they that slow of a group? If so, we're doomed.

Just saw KDAWG's addressing this..beat me to it

Edited by The Hangman- C_Hanburger
  • Like 3

Playing way off the LOS has been a staple of JDR’s defenses since he’s been here.  As have communication issues in the secondary.  Got away with it in 2020, as we played a bunch of QB’s that stink, the moment they face competency at QB, they give up completion after completion after completion.

Whatever it is he’s been doing isn’t good enough.  I was on a short list who would have rather seen him fired vs. fined a few months ago, and it had less to do with what he said and more to do with his less than imaginative defenses getting carved up.

I’ve seen nothing to suggest there is improvement here.  Preseason or not, his defense has been getting worked.  Imagine when the opposition actually has a game plan.  ☹️

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Maybe someone can explain why our DB's play so far off the LOS?? Looks like a 5-8 yard pasture for WR/TE to play in No press at all The DB's are on their heels the whole time moving backwards with a 3 yard cushion and only plant after the WR/TE cuts in front??? No contact at all. I hate the defensive zone scheme. I understand zone coverage and passing off responsibilities but to not try and interrupt the timing??? Are they that slow of a group? If so, we're doomed.

Just saw KDAWG's addressing this..beat me to it

Did they play off in other spots? LIke WJ3 in Cincy? Hall in Atlanta? Fuller in KC? Dude last year in his previous spots? I wonder about this because its irritating

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The defense had an uptick last year when Landon Collins was moved to big nickel.  Wonder if all the work he did underneath in the flat helped mask this problem to some extent -- basically filling in these gaps. 

Good and great players tend to do that. 

Collins in that role was money once we did it, no wonder we now again look like the defense that started last year with him not in that role yet.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Collins in that role was money once we did it, no wonder we now again look like the defense that started last year with him not in that role yet.

Again, I love that we have Dotson. But I wish we had a second first last year. Lloyd in that role would be so damn clutch.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, TChaler70 said:

Then to top it off I come here after the game and there are 29 stinkin pages, 29 pages thats it, tell me this team isnt leaking fans. The old fans cant relate to this new team and there is nothing to bring in new fans. Can you imagine if this team starts out 2-5! Sorry just frustrated that something I once really enjoyed, yes a long time ago history has been erased and will be 2nd rate probably from here on out.

Here ya go buddy. I’ve already progressed through the five stages. I hope this helps you process your loss. 

image.png.7467735d3f0c0ca1a2b84056932a36e7.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Yeah I would keep it on the table if I were them.  As far as the off season, its mostly about losing more than they took in.  No Ionnaidis.  No Settle.  No Collins.  With zero major FA infusions. 

Rivera likes to hype the defenses resurgence during the season last year.  But what was the common thread for it?  Landon Collins.  Moving Landon underneath helped.  And the defense ironically fell apart again with injuries, one of those injuries was Landon. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

Here ya go buddy. I’ve already progressed through the five stages. I hope this helps you process your loss. 

image.png.7467735d3f0c0ca1a2b84056932a36e7.png

Thanks! After the team name and now seeing two of the uniforms I think I am in the depression stage. Not sure there will be an acceptance stage. Its amazing that the team from my childhood no longer exists and I still cant find another team to root for to enjoy Sundays. The memories from RFK where games and Sundays were so much fun. This just isnt fun anymore and it sucks.

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I would keep it on the table if I were them.  As far as the off season, its mostly about losing more than they took in.  No Ionnaidis.  No Settle.  No Collins.  With zero major FA infusions. 

Rivera likes to hype the defenses resurgence during the season last year.  But what was the common thread for it?  Landon Collins.  Moving Landon underneath helped.  And the defense ironically fell apart again with injuries, one of those injuries was Landon. 

I have a wild idea… hear me out…

Lets go get… Landon Collins.

And in the meantime see if Parker can play the same role, because so far he looks like the real deal.

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Again, I love that we have Dotson. But I wish we had a second first last year. Lloyd in that role would be so damn clutch.

I'll be honest, I felt the Dotson pick was insurance in case they lost Terry, and nothing more.

Curtis makes too much as a #3 and was meant to be a #2, he's more of an incoming cap casualty then anything that could've blunt the blow of losing Terry.

A lot of things I would rather done with that first round pick (like trade down and get a TE), but I'm convinced Dotson is gonna become that dude to make up for all that.

So ima let it go and hope that Wentz jus has too many weapons for some teams to keep up with, best case scenario. 

• Like 1

KC starters vs ours was a mis match. First team offense could not score. Wentz takes stupid sacks. He isn't leading this team anywhere. Defense is still the same. Same group of guys that are a bottom of the league defense. 

19 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'll be honest, I felt the Dotson pick was insurance in case they lost Terry, and nothing more.

Curtis makes too much as a #3 and was meant to be a #2, he's more of an incoming cap casualty then anything that could've blunt the blow of losing Terry.

A lot of things I would rather done with that first round pick (like trade down and get a TE), but I'm convinced Dotson is gonna become that dude to make up for all that.

So ima let it go and hope that Wentz jus has too many weapons for some teams to keep up with, best case scenario. 

I wanted Dotson, to be honest. It’s not about him for me. I think he was necessary. Just wish we had a way to get a second one. Would have loved Lloyd and Dotson.

I just rewatched the KC first drive and just watched Jamin Davis.  He looked mostly good IMO.

They used him mostly close to the line of scrimmage or at closer than where Holcomb was lined up.  They had him on the RB on one play.  TE on another.   They rushed him on another play, came off the edge, where he was one of the 4 rushers.  He was around the ball, good tackle in the mix against the RB.  A couple of times he got caught in the wash which happens to most LBs.  

I saw the clip on twitter where Trey Smith knocked him off his feet.  But if you watch it closely, Trey sort of blindsided Jamin where it was tough to see him coming, also on the same play Jamin got up and almost got to Mahomes.  Bottom line to me was he was mostly around the action which for my taste is key for a LB -- especially one where their weakness is recognition skills.  And unlessed i missed a play, they had him on for every play.  There was one where I couldn't find him where perhaps they had a 1 LB set.  It's tougher to see with broadcast tape than the coaches tape.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Did they play off in other spots? LIke WJ3 in Cincy? Hall in Atlanta? Fuller in KC? Dude last year in his previous spots? I wonder about this because its irritating

Yes they did, because every team does exactly what we do and not keep our corners on the LoS, because if you do, especially in man it makes it extremely easy for the WR to get past you.

Davis looked excellent, so did Cole. Really exciting to see.

Parker is a vet playing against scrubs, so no idea if he's any good. I've never been much of a Reaves fan, but he seems just as serviceable.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

So Davis's only highlight is against backups...lolol. When he was in with starters the only play I noticed him in on was when he bit hard outside allowing what should have been an easy tackle for loss of yards into a positive gain. 

I didn’t watch him the whole time but he did not look like that against the 1st team. 

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Does anybody know if there's a way to re-watch the game?  I was traveling, and my DVR crapped out.  I looked on NFL Network, and it doesn't appear that it's being replayed.  

I listed to a few recap podcasts, but I like to see things with my own 2 eyes.  

The only time I see it on NFL Network is Thursday at 1pm EDT.

EDIT: If you are in the DMV area, NBC Sports Washington will re-air the game at 6pm EDT today and Tuesday night at 10:30pm EDT.

Edited by SkinsGuy

I watched now two drives for Jamin.  Impressive.  Maybe PFF will show me up when they grade him.  :ols:   

But for my taste, you see a bit of everything.  Getting some heat on Mahomes.  Active in the run game.  Following his assignment in the passing game.  Actually he looked good to me.  Actually stood out to me more than Holcomb but I wasn't as glued into Holcomb. 

On some of the clips you can't really see him but its him in the mix.   I watched a lot of his college tape.  And this reminded me more of what i saw from him at Kentucky. 

davis.png

davis2.png

davis3.png

davis4.png

davis5.png

davis6.png

davis7.png

davis8.png

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1