Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Commanders 'n Chiefs (No Politics In The Stadium Edition)

TK
Message added by TK,

1473048416_ScreenShot2022-08-20at7_02_19PM.thumb.png.3bf5e06fac0d3b28aad7603b4ee91d11.png

Does anyone think we'll actually start 2 - 0? I certainly don't. Washington was handed a gift by getting the two worst teams from 2021 back to back to start the season. However I have watched this team squander all opportunities for the last 30 years. This will be no different. I guarantee they'll go 1 - 1 instead. Which is not good enough with two rough division games in weeks 3 and 4. I'm feeling so discouraged right now 😢

• Like 2
  • Thumb down 1

58 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think it's a combination of a bunch of stuff.  I think the D coaches are certainly not good enough, not just JDR, though he's horrible.  But I'm really beginning to believe that the reputation of the individuals on the D line, aside from John Allen, isn't legitimately earned - yet.  I think Sweat, Chase (especially Chase at this point) and Payne are overrated.   Could a better DC and his staff get more out of these guys?  Maybe.  But at some point the players have to take ownership of not being disciplined on the field.  The coaches can preach it until blue in the face but we're talking about grown men here.  

Bottom line: it's Year 3 and so far nothing - and I mean NOTHING - is getting fixed.  And on that front, Ron's a broken record turning into Norv Turner.  And clearly the players on D aren't dancing to Ron's tune.  That's more than evident.  And that's a major problem, one that it's obvious Ron is well aware of.  

All of this just reeks of the beginning of so many seasons over the past 30 years.  This season could really go sideways and the drama could reach a 1 on the DefCon level if Ron doesn't figure something out.  He's has three years to do it.  He's got 3 weeks left....

Edited by Redwards
  • Like 3

Saw where someone said to "cut Brown".....I'm totally on board with this if others are playing better than him. Hell, in my mind we have 4 WR's who are locks right now and after that we should be looking at other teams cuts. **** where you were drafted, if you can't beat out the next guy then good luck elsewhere. If RR is gonna back up his words about having competition in camp then do it by cutting guys who you missed on. 

The myth of the so called great defense was due to who we faced in 2020. Remember a lot of those teams were either bad or had backups playing at qb due to their starters being hurt.  That defense feasted on teams weaker than us in 2020. We say just how fake that defense was in 2021, when we played against the better teams, better qbs.

The defense was never really good as many thought or still think.

• Like 3

We need our OL back in a bad way!  When they are back, they need to be 100% healthy.  It will change the O in a big way, I think.  Running game and pass protection.  If it means that RR needs to rest them for the rest of the PS, then so be it.  Our D is a whole other issue.  JDR doesn't have our D playing to its capabilities.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Give the DC role to Chris Harris now instead of week 6.   

Except that it's his department that looks the most confused. I think we snuffed out and stopped almost every KC shorter yardage play. But any play designed to be 5+ yard pass was unstoppable and wide open. I don't think Harris should be considered a candidate until he can get his own house in order

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Except that it's his department that looks the most confused. I think we snuffed out and stopped almost every KC shorter yardage play. But any play designed to be 5+ yard pass was unstoppable and wide open. I don't think Harris should be considered a candidate until he can get his own house in order

I mentioned Wilks from Carolina.  Yes, it's Carolina but he has proven to be a good DC and yes, I know he had talent when he was there but I think he will get the best out of what we have on D.  I doubt any move is done outside the organization until after the year but who knows what RR does.  This needs to be a good year or the nail might be starting to be driven if this year is a flop.  

• Thumb up 1

21 minutes ago, Redwards said:

But I'm really beginning to believe that the reputation of the individuals on the D line, aside from John Allen, isn't legitimately earned - yet.  I think Sweat, Chase (especially Chase at this point) and Payne are overrated.   C

Winner...Winner..chicken dinner. Allen and Sweat are good players, not great, not top 10 at their position. Payne is just average but we drafted him in the first round so we think we have a stud. Youngs year is a wash, no way he is a difference maker this year. We were told he was a generational talent so once again many fans act like we have a top 5 player but in reality he is much closer to below average and a bust. 

The end result, the so called strength of our team has 2 nice players, drafting Payne, Davis, and Young have really been disastrous.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Does anyone think we'll actually start 2 - 0? I certainly don't. Washington was handed a gift by getting the two worst teams from 2021 back to back to start the season. However I have watched this team squander all opportunities for the last 30 years. This will be no different. I guarantee they'll go 1 - 1 instead. Which is not good enough with two rough division games in weeks 3 and 4. I'm feeling so discouraged right now 😢

We aren't winning both those games.

Early feel.

Jags- Unexpected shootout with Trevor Lawrence. We barely sneak a win. 1-0

@Lions- Defense totally coughs up this one. We lose. 1-1

Eagles- Against his former team, Carson has his best game of the season. 2-1

@Boys- Dallas offense scores at least 40, we lose. 2-2

Titans- Derick Henry runs all over us, we lose. 2-3

@Bears- A team worse than us, we win. 3-3

Green Bay- We make Aaron fall in love with his rookie WRs, we lose in another blowout. 3-4

@Colts- A shootout that we fall short. Carson's revenge denied, Irsay laughing all day. 3-5

Minny- Kirk has a career day, we lose. 3-6

@Philly- The rematch sees Philly crush us and Carson knocked out. 3-7

@Houston- Taylor starts and we get a win. 4-7

Atlanta- Carson has a good day, first time for back to back wins. 5-7

@Giants- Whoever is starting for the Giants then, has a great day. We lose. 5-8.

Jack Del Rio is fired after the Giants game. Dan also demands one of the gms be fired also, so Marty Hurney gets axed.

Giants- A much better showing against the Giants, we win. 6-8

@49ers- Our Defense makes Trey Lance look like Montana. We lose. 6-9

Browns- The Sexual Predator has a great day, We lose. 6-10.

Boys- We lose, as Dallas needs this game. 6-11.

After a long talk, Ron remains but is completely stripped of his power. He's only the head coach.  Dan gives his power to Martin Mayhew.  Carson returns also.

My final prediction in a couple of weeks will probably be close to this. 

Edited by 88Comrade2000
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, TChaler70 said:

Winner...Winner..chicken dinner. Allen and Sweat are good players, not great, not top 10 at their position. Payne is just average but we drafted him in the first round so we think we have a stud. Youngs year is a wash, no way he is a difference maker this year. We were told he was a generational talent so once again many fans act like we have a top 5 player but in reality he is much closer to below average and a bust. 

The end result, the so called strength of our team has 2 nice players, drafting Payne, Davis, and Young have really been disastrous.

You're crazy if you don't think Jon Allen is a top 10 DT. 

• Like 4

Other than the rookie running back there was nothing positive coming out of this game.  The defense can't get off the field and the offense can't stay on the field.  That is simply not a good combination for success.  JP just said the starting defense has not yet forced a punt from the starting quarterback on the other side.  That pretty much says all you need to know.

• Sad 1

• TK unpinned this topic

Winning and losing in preseason matter less then how you look doing it considering starters are never in there to help finish a game.

No way in hell we lose the first two regular season games this year, have those two teams beat on talent in a way that even if they are ugly wins we still win.  

That doesn't mean anything for rest of the season, the offense will be better then last year because of Wentz alone.  It's the defense that doesn't look changed at all. 

I agree the 2020 defense was overrated, its gonna be hard to describe the pressure that will be on some people if they start the season as historically bad on defense as last year.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, RWJ said:

We need our OL back in a bad way!  When they are back, they need to be 100% healthy.  It will change the O in a big way, I think.  Running game and pass protection.  If it means that RR needs to rest them for the rest of the PS, then so be it.  Our D is a whole other issue.  JDR doesn't have our D playing to its capabilities.  

You want us to trade for Scherff?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, glongest said:

Other than the rookie running back there was nothing positive coming out of this game. 

If I'm only focusing on the positives

-Rob jr looked good

-There was an actual attempt to utilize Gibby in a role more suitable to his skillset and history

-Howell still shows promise

-Through his own actions and the in-actions of others, Cam Sims keeps finding was to stick on our roster in various preseasons. Dude is a leech we cant shake lol.

-Thought it was a good day for our rooks on STs. made a couple plays between them

-No major injuries

Beyond that I feel like I'm scraping. Best thing about that game was the Way interview.

The problem with the defense is two-fold:

-a lack of positional discipline

-too much cushion 

Our guys are off the receivers 4-8 yards presnap even playing a man look at times. If the other team pushes hard vertical at the snap that makes our guys have a very necessary fast bail. Then the receivers break off their routes and curl up or sit in the vacated areas and Mahomes/whoever finds them. That is a big reason why we get shredded in the intermediate.

Now take that and have the receivers do the same thing: push hard vertical. Have them slow like they are going to break or sit and then immediately turn back up. Now they take the top off of the defense because the DB reacts to the slow down because they’re getting beat underneath repeatedly.

Now, there is more blame there. The DL is struggling getting off of blocks at times and thus allowing the QB entirely too much time to scan and throw. Asking a secondary to cover for 5+ seconds is a death sentence.

This also plays into my first point about a lack of position discipline. When our ends, for instance, rush they don’t take an angle to cut off the QBs escape lane. They charge at the QB looking for the fastest way there possible. That sounds ideal, but when you do that against a QB with any mobility you are actually giving them time. They see the pressure and know you’re coming too hard to adjust your angle and they break the pocket and now put your secondary in a cover/cut off the QB bind. 

Montez Sweat has been fairly undisciplined through his career. Young as well. 

They only care about the rush part of their job. Not the contain part. Now… that could be Del Rio/Mills teaching it that way, too. Aggressive DL that makes plays sometimes and gets beat sometime being the idea. The problem is, though, that strat gets them beat far more than plays they make. 

There is a reason Z replaced Mills. 

Regardless… either the scheme is wrong or the players are wrong and it needs to get fixed. Quickly.

People are dogging the secondary but I don’t think they are a major problem this year (so far). The LBs are NFL average at best but I haven’t really seen them getting abused, either. Although they don’t play downhill much, which IS an issue. 

But the two major problems, and our major contributor to the 3rd down D struggling is the two things outlined above (which includes and possibly is totally related to scheme)

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

I am usually not a down on coaches type of guy but I'll say in the mix of things, I am losing whatever faith I had left in Del Rio.

Jay (I know some here think he's an idiot about how to run an offense but i don't) in one of his many podcast appearances was asked about Del Rio.  And Jay more or less said he found him one of the easiest defensive coodinators to scheme up against, he said they put a ton of points on his defense (don't recall if he referred to when that happened with Cincy or here). 

He more or less said, he doesn't really challenge your thinking at all unlike some other defensive coordinators he had to scheme against.  What you see on film, is what you get.  Then the podcaster (I think it was Hoffman-Paulsen if I recall) started laughing.  Jay sort of realized what he did.  So he backtracked a little and tried to sell Del Rio's approach in that its an approach that players can master so the focus is on execution.

I also recall Rex Ryan talking about the scheme last year, Ryan saying that Del Rio coached for him if I recall, and said that Del Rio needs to be more inventive than he was.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 7

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am usually not a down on coaches type of guy but I'll say in the mix of things, I am losing whatever faith I had left in Del Rio.

Jay (I know some here think he's an idiot about how to run an offense but i don't) in one of his many podcast appearances was asked about Del Rio.  And Jay more or less said he found him one of the easiest defensive coodinators to scheme up against, he said they put a ton of points on his defense (don't recall if he referred to when that happened with Cincy or here). 

He more or less said, he doesn't really challenge your thinking at all unlike some other defensive coordinators he had to scheme against.  What you see on film, is what you get.  Then the podcaster (I think it was Hoffman-Paulsen if I recall) started laughing.  Jay sort of realized what he did.  So he backtracked a little and tried to sell Del Rio's approach in that its an approach that players can master so the focus is on execution.

I also recall Rex Ryan talking abiout the scheme last year, Ryan saying that Del Rio coached for him if I recall, and said that Del Rio needs to be more inventive than he was.

Well I think that says it all right? I have heard many version of that same selling point come from our staff over the years if I’m not mistaken. The ‘Simplify it to master it’ take I mean. It seems very familiar. 

57 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The problem with the defense is two-fold:

-a lack of positional discipline

-too much cushion 

Our guys are off the receivers 4-8 yards presnap even playing a man look at times. If the other team pushes hard vertical at the snap that makes our guys have a very necessary fast bail. Then the receivers break off their routes and curl up or sit in the vacated areas and Mahomes/whoever finds them. That is a big reason why we get shredded in the intermediate.

Now take that and have the receivers do the same thing: push hard vertical. Have them slow like they are going to break or sit and then immediately turn back up. Now they take the top off of the defense because the DB reacts to the slow down because they’re getting beat underneath repeatedly.

The defense had an uptick last year when Landon Collins was moved to big nickel.  Wonder if all the work he did underneath in the flat helped mask this problem to some extent -- basically filling in these gaps. 

• Like 3