Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

9News: Just one standard drink a day can 'permanently damage' the human brain, study finds

China

Just one standard drink a day can 'permanently damage' the human brain, study finds

It's unwelcome news heading into the weekend, but new research has found that having just one standard drink a day can permanently damage your brain.

A study of almost 21,000 people, published yesterday in the journal PLOS Medicine, linked the consumption of seven or more standard drinks per week to higher iron levels in the brain.

Iron accumulation in the brain has been linked to Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases, and could be involved in alcohol-related cognitive decline.

The study's 20,965 participants from the UK Biobank reported their own alcohol consumption, and their brains given MRI scans.

Almost 7000 also had MRI scans on their livers to assess levels of systemic iron.

All the participants completed a series of simple tests to assess cognitive and motor function.

Although 2.7 per cent classed themselves as non-drinkers, the average intake was around 18 standard drinks a week, which translates to about seven and a half cans of beer or six large glasses of wine - and yes, even though it's British beer, the numbers still count down under.

The team, headed by Anya Topiwala of Oxford University, found that alcohol consumption above seven standard drinks per week was associated with markers of higher iron in the basal ganglia, a group of brain regions associated with control of motor movements, procedural learning, eye movement, cognition, emotion, and more.

The participants' average age was 55 years old and 48.6 per cent were female.

Click on the full article

• Thumb down 1

36 minutes ago, China said:

A study of almost 21,000 people, published yesterday in the journal PLOS Medicine, linked the consumption of seven or more standard drinks per week to higher iron levels in the brain.

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

I'm not a female version of "Iron Man", I've always been referred to as "Iron Lung"...the "aqua" version is preferred.:816:

And I keep teaching people things that they never would have known (I'm chock full of useless knowledge), so I'm not quite as fried as I originally thought. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

The number of drinks is self-reported so likely it’s significantly underestimated.

Still, less than 14 a week for an adult male is recommended from other studies. Wimmin only get 7.

If it helps, moderate alcohol consumption helps avoid iron deficiency anemia. 😀

• Like 1

Deep-brain stimulation can help reduce alcohol cravings and consumption, study finds

In a pilot study, Toronto researchers found they were able to safely reduce alcohol cravings and consumption in individuals with severe alcohol use disorder by treating them with deep brain stimulation.

Their findings, published in the journal Molecular Psychiatry on Thursday, add support to the view that alcohol use disorder is a brain circuitry disorder.

“It’s a brain disease requiring a brain treatment,” said principal investigator Nir Lipsman, a neurosurgeon and director of the Harquail Centre for Neuromodulation at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre. “For many patients, it was validating as well to hear that their condition is, indeed, driven by circuits in the brain that are pathological, and that in highly select populations there may be an emerging treatment option.”

Click on the link for the full article

tumblr_n9716f4uSX1s1v3r1o1_500.gif

• 1 year later...

U.S. Could Soon Recommend Americans Limit Alcohol Consumption to Two Drinks Per Week

The U.S. may soon advise Americans to limit their alcohol consumption to no more than two drinks per week, according to the director of the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA).

The agency currently recommends that men drink no more than two drinks per day and that women stick to just one drink per day. The U.S. recommendations will come up for review in 2025, and NIAAA director George Koob tells the Daily Mail the agency may change its current guidelines to more closely reflect Canada’s stricter guidelines, which recommend just two drinks per week.

Koob, who said he drinks a couple of glasses of wine per week, said he is keeping an eye on the Canadians’ “big experiment” with interest. 

“If there’s health benefits, I think people will start to re-evaluate where we’re at,” Koob said.

Click on the link for the full article

It’s amazing how the recommendations have changed. In the UK the recommendation not that many years ago was no more than four drinks a day and 28 per week.

Two drinks at lunch would have been considered ‘abstaining’ in a professional work setting. :ols:

• Haha 2