Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

At what positions or units are the Jags better....

Reddskins1

2 hours ago, Reddskins1 said:

Then our Commanders that will give them a competitive advantage over us week 1? I'm struggling to see any meaning we should win this handly... What's your take?

Possibly QB. Lawrence could be much improved with a year under his belt and no Meyer. 

RB is close. They have Etienne coming back and of course James Robinson.

Receiver… all depends on McLaurin and Samuel. We have the better OL.

They have better backers. 

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Possibly QB. Lawrence could be much improved with a year under his belt and no Meyer. 

I kindof think there’s a chance Lawrence I’d really good but starts somewhat slowly.  It takes a little while to understand Pederson’s system.  And with the disaster he had last year, he’s almost a rookie in some respects.

Im glad we got this game early because I think the Jags are a team that really could improve during the year….

• Like 1

2 hours ago, philibusters said:

They have better LB'ers than us.   They could have a decent run defense.  But overall I agree that we are the better team on paper going into the sesason.

They better have a good run Defense cause they will get a heavy dose early of Antonio Gibson then Wentz will play action off it...

5 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I kindof think there’s a chance Lawrence I’d really good but starts somewhat slowly.  It takes a little while to understand Pederson’s system.  And with the disaster he had last year, he’s almost a rookie in some respects.

Im glad we got this game early because I think the Jags are a team that really could improve during the year….

I agree alot with the latter...I can see that happening cause pederson is a pretty good coach..

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

RB is close. They have Etienne coming back and of course James Robinson.

Receiver… all depends on McLaurin and Samuel. We have the better OL.

They have better backers. 

I'd disagree on WR. It's a bad group with what seems like a couple of third receivers (I guess you could argue Kirk is a 2 and he might be) and it gets worse from there. No one sniffs McLaurin, so even if everything else on Washington busts (Dotson, Brown, and Samuel's muscles), I don't think you can overcome that.

I'd agree on QB and RB. Lawrence should be good and QBs often take a leap in year two. But he has to prove it. RB is interesting with James Robinson being solid and Etienne offering huge upside. Etienne's unproven, but then again Washington is likely relying on an unproven rookie as well for a decent chunk of carries. 

LB is the clear answer here as you said. It's a bit misleading as Jacksonville runs a 3-4, but they have three first rounders in the group with first-round rookies Travon Walker(first overall) and Devin Lloyd joining former top 10 pick Josh Allen. Hell, Chad Muma is a reserve there and he's more talented than nearly ever LB on Washington's roster (save 2). 

4 hours ago, Jericho said:

I'd disagree on WR. It's a bad group with what seems like a couple of third receivers (I guess you could argue Kirk is a 2 and he might be) and it gets worse from there. No one sniffs McLaurin, so even if everything else on Washington busts (Dotson, Brown, and Samuel's muscles), I don't think you can overcome that.

I'd agree on QB and RB. Lawrence should be good and QBs often take a leap in year two. But he has to prove it. RB is interesting with James Robinson being solid and Etienne offering huge upside. Etienne's unproven, but then again Washington is likely relying on an unproven rookie as well for a decent chunk of carries. 

LB is the clear answer here as you said. It's a bit misleading as Jacksonville runs a 3-4, but they have three first rounders in the group with first-round rookies Travon Walker(first overall) and Devin Lloyd joining former top 10 pick Josh Allen. Hell, Chad Muma is a reserve there and he's more talented than nearly ever LB on Washington's roster (save 2). 

What are you disagreeing with at receiver? If McLaurin and Samuels play we have a much better group. That’s why I said it depends on them. If they dont our receivers arent great outside of Dotson.

9 hours ago, petey hodge said:

At what positions or units are the Jags better....

Ownership as Social Relation: Nonprofit Strategies to Build Community  Wealth through Land - Non Profit News | Nonprofit Quarterly

As much as I laughed at this answer, I must ask is Khan that much better than our cruddy owner. I mean even the fans were mocking him last year all dressing as clowns that resembled him.  this is something I wish our fans had done to with our clown

I still think Lawrence will become a really good QB and much better than Wentz.

The key for the Jags will be how Lawrence handles Pedersons system and how their OL protects him and opens holes for the RB's.

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

7 hours ago, Jericho said:

I think you're under-selling them a bit, for whatever that's worth.  They have completely re-built the unit, and there is chance that it's somewhere between "good" and "very good."

A lot will depend on Lawrence.

Though, I agree with @KDawg, if all of our top receivers are available and play (and until somebody reports otherwise, that's what I'm rolling with, McLaurin, Samuel, Dotson, Brown and Cam Sims have a higher top-end and more depth than the Jags.  

As an aside, I had forgotten Wes Martin was with the Jags.  That's there secret weapon right there.  

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

As much as I laughed at this answer, I must ask is Khan that much better than our cruddy owner. I mean even the fans were mocking him last year all dressing as clowns that resembled him.  this is something I wish our fans had done to with our clown

Khan might have figured something out by hiring Pederson.  But he also hired Urban Myer.  Amazingly, Dan managed to stay out of that trap when it seemed like it was destined to happen.

What makes Dan special is he's been bad across the board: culture, football decisions, who he hires, how he treats the fans.  Most other crappy owners might have 2 or 3 of those, but there aren't many that have all 4.  It's a special kind of suck.  

• Like 2

Jags are trash. I don't care if their coach was Urban Meyer; if you watched Lawrence play last year, there's nothing you could do to explain away how bad he was. It was the worst first year I've ever seen from a number 1 overall QB. 

11 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

Jags are trash. I don't care if their coach was Urban Meyer; if you watched Lawrence play last year, there's nothing you could do to explain away how bad he was. It was the worst first year I've ever seen from a number 1 overall QB. 

Peyton Manning threw 28 interceptions and had a lower passer rating as a rookie than Lawrence did last year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Franklin60 said:

Peyton Manning threw 28 interceptions and had a lower passer rating as a rookie than Lawrence did last year.

Peyton also threw 26 TD's in 16 games his rookie season. Lawrence managed a crisp 12, while also having 9 fumbles. You can compare passer rating if you want, but Peyton passed the eye test his rookie year. Lawrence looked worse than Heinicke.

On 6/19/2022 at 6:06 AM, DWinzit said:

I still think Lawrence will become a really good QB and much better than Wentz.

The key for the Jags will be how Lawrence handles Pedersons system and how their OL protects him and opens holes for the RB's.

I was at the last jags/colts game last year. It was hilarious. Not that the jags fans are fond of khan but I’m fairly certain the clown outfits were for the GM Baalke. They HATE him. 

During one of the commercial breaks they had a fan on field for trivia multiple choice and she said, “The answer is C - FIRE TRENT BAALKE!!!” The crowd cheered and they quickly cut her off. I wish we did stuff like that too regarding Dan. I hope it happens at games. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/21/2022 at 12:53 AM, ExoDus84 said:

I guess you missed out on Jamarcus Russell and his short stint in Oakland! :rofl89:

• Like 2

On 6/21/2022 at 12:53 AM, ExoDus84 said:

Wow....was Trevor that bad last season?

6 hours ago, Reddskins1 said:

Wow....was Trevor that bad last season?

No, not even close. I realize Zach Wilson wasn't picked #1 overall, but wasn't far off at #2. He had a far worse rookie season. If we're looking only at the guys taken first overall, then Alex Smith and Eli Manning were far worse. Hell, so were Troy Aikman and John Elway, though the eras are a bit different. Even Terry Bradshaw. David Carr, Jared Goff, and Matt Stafford were not very good either in recent history. And JaMarcus Russell was so bad he really didn't even play much.

Lawrence wasn't very good statistically, but had very little help. The WR room was bare, the Jags lost their first round RB before the season, the TE room was bare, the OL was suspect, and their coach was....well you know. But is it really all that different from most # 1 picks? Tim Couch had a similar season in his rookie year. You don't want Tim Couch's career, but a lot of good QBs (many of which are noted above) started similarly poorly. It seems to be more the norm to be underwhelming, though arguably the run of Mayfield, Murray, and Burrow somewhat tainted expectations (even if Mayfield's rookie season was his high water mark)

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

Week 1

WSH O > JAX D

I see they've lost Myles Jack at LB'er and replaced him with two 1st rounders. That's a young talented group. Leadership is important and those rookies will make a lot of plays to go with a lot of mistakes Week 1. Their DC is Mike Caldwell promoted from TB as inside LB'er coach. If you look into that, they'll be blitzing 1 or 2 of those guys almost ever play like TB does. WSH seems to know how to play that pretty well. I'd expect WSH to have success with crossing routes and from the TE, while finding it difficult to run early. Wentz could exploit this type of learning curve with speedy WR targets and AG will be open a lot. Turnovers will derail any advantage, so more than 1 INT or Lost Fumble and this flips.

WSH D > JAX O

Jags have no #1 WR. The WR's they've added aren't taking the top off as they're all around 4.5 speed guys. Their big move was adding Christian Kirk who lead AZ last year with 982 yds 5 TDs as DeAndre Hopkins only played 10 games. I don't believe they'll need to double team anyone. Lawrence was bad, but showed flashes as a rookie. Usually rookies get to use the 1st year to iron stuff out, but not in this case. New HC & OC, WR's, TE, and OL, likely finds some similar mistakes as last year. He's fast, #2 rushing QB and WSH doesn't play well vs mobile QBs. That's pathetic that Jack DelTaco has allowed that to be a thing, As much as I dislike Jackass Del Rio, he's probably better Week 1 vs JAX.

Vegas Odds

WSH -4 at Home

JAX didn't win a game on the road last year 0-8

I'll take WSH and lay the 4 points expecting better results from Wentz and that WR group vs Lawrence and their receiving options.