Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things 2022 OTAs/Training Camp Thread

Forever A Redskin

2 hours ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

If Dotson has a strong TC, Im totally fine with taking the same approach with him in the preseason as we did with McClaurin his rookie year. Give him little to no playing time in the preseason. It worked for McClaurin. 

If Wentz and the WR's are on the same page and the offense appears to be humming smoothly, I doubt they'll get much playing time anyways.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the pre-season offense isn't what we'll run in the regular season.  Like in 2012 with RG3's first year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I hope Howell gets a majority of the preseason snaps, so Heinicke doesn't get any of our WRs killed for the year.

(Predicting how long it takes the hive to come defend their boy .... another 42 minutes is the over/under and I'll take the under.)

Joking aside, I think Howell is going to get the majority of the snaps anyway, because he's the developmental guy who needs them.

Wentz will clearly take the starter snaps.  I want that to be at least 3 quarters of work and 40 passes.  But I am going to be disappointed.  I knew in HS when I asked a girl named Sarah out she was going to say no, she did, and I was disappointed.  Didn't stop me from dreaming.  

I don't know how many snaps TH will get, but my guess is the least of the 3 QBs.  Because he doesn't need them.  Let's say Wentz plays the first quarter of the first game, TH will play the second, and Howell the second half.

In the second game, Wentz plays maybe a quarter and a half, TH finishes the quarter, and Howell plays the entire second half.

And I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Howell play the entire 3rd game.  

Taylor knows the offense, he's been a backup before, he doesn't need the reps.  Wentz is new to the system, and could use the reps.  Howell is new to the NFL, and could use the reps.

So I expect to see a lot more from Wentz and Howell this preseason. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Defensive players playing for an undisciplined defensive coordinator will also be undisciplined.

Been hearing that JDR failed in his Raiders stop because his comments caused lockerroom issues (but then again the previous coach and the next coach also had lockerroom issues so maybe it's just the Raiders organization).  At a certain point I don't care if JDR is a quality X's and O's guy that schemes up well if the players under him aren't buying in then it doesn't matter.  If he's causing division within the defensive group, and that is seen with errors and miscommunication on the playing field, then that's the only issue that matters.

• Thumb up 1

Can I make a general request that all JDR stuff that even remotely touches on his off-the-field stuff be done in the "A New Start" thread? Even if it is somewhat related to on the field stuff, it's going to lead us down a wormhole I don't think we need to go down.  

Otherwise every single thread is going to turn into the same teeth mashing.  

Just my opinion.  

• Like 7
  • Thumb up 2

3 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Been hearing that JDR failed in his Raiders stop because his comments caused lockerroom issues (but then again the previous coach and the next coach also had lockerroom issues so maybe it's just the Raiders organization).  At a certain point I don't care if JDR is a quality X's and O's guy that schemes up well if the players under him aren't buying in then it doesn't matter.  If he's causing division within the defensive group, and that is seen with errors and miscommunication on the playing field, then that's the only issue that matters.

To be clear, I am not in the least bit talking about the nature of his comments. Just that making them was not a disciplined decision. Reaves making that hit means he's not thinking about that kind of thing and that is a sign of a lack of discipline. To be 100% clear this is COMPLETELY about the Xs and Os and a lack of discipline that causes the team to have the same lack. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Llevron said:

🤭

For a second, before I viewed the video, my immediate thought was, "damn, the Giants got some new-fangled piece of technology that Dan is too cheap to buy, and that is once again a show of how completely awful Dan is as an owner, how much of a trash organization we are, and how we will always, for eternity, suck.

Then I watched the video.

Then I laughed.  

This is priceless.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

16 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

Love hearing how hard Dotson is working. We need more showings of that work ethic.

Kinda seems like the same things we were hearing when Mclaurin was a rookie.  A rookie that just seems like he's got his head on straight and knows what doing out there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

For a second, before I viewed the video, my immediate thought was, "damn, the Giants got some new-fangled piece of technology that Dan is too cheap to buy, and that is once again a show of how completely awful Dan is as an owner, how much of a trash organization we are, and how we will always, for eternity, suck.

Then I laughed.  

This is priceless.  

Same. I was way to trusting hahaha

3 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

Its a pretty great RB room. Has everything you could want at the position.

Speed, strength, pass catching ability, explosiveness, shiftiness, pass blocking ability, proven production and potential.

The only thing it lacks is special team participation if they go w/ 3 RBs again, unless the new guy contributes there?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Then I laughed.  

This is priceless.  

8 hours ago, Llevron said:

Same. I was way to trusting hahaha

That's funny.   I was half expecting a fire.   Haha

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That's exactly what Ron said. But Ron really couldn't say anything else.  

This isn't the thread for it, but I wish Payne was up next year and not this year.  

If they could go out and go 12-5 this year, or maybe even 11-6, I think they would have the confidence to start to employ some of the cap shenannigans the Rams, Saints and a few others are doing, and actually go "all-in" with this core.  Push a ton of cap spending to 2026, 2027, take the benefit now, get contracts done with all the core guys, bring in some key blue-chip players to augment the core, etc.

The problem is, I don't think they want to do that yet because they're not 100% sure.  If this season goes badly, they are back in the market for a QB AGAIN.  And they'll need the cap space.  So they're being really careful.  

• Like 2

Bummed we didn't hear more about Percy Butler during OTAs. Fingers crossed he makes some noise during Mini Camp & Training Camp.

I chose Percy as my burgundy jersey this season. A Redskins jersey with his name custom stitched on the back. Haven't decided on who to go with for the white jersey this year. Thinking Dotson.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Bummed we didn't hear more about Percy Butler during OTAs. Fingers crossed he makes some noise during Mini Camp & Training Camp.

I chose Percy as my burgundy jersey this season. A Redskins jersey with his name custom stitched on the back. Haven't decided on who to go with for the white jersey this year. Thinking Dotson.

It’s going to take him a while. He’s learning one of the most complicated positions on the field which needs the most amount of communication.

He should be fine.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It’s going to take him a while. He’s learning one of the most complicated positions on the field which needs the most amount of communication.

He should be fine.

True. I'm pleased with Derrick Forrest showing signs of development as a silver lining however. I'm really excited for the rookie crop and year-2 guys this off-season. Theoretically this is the season where Ron's plan should show signs of taking hold.

Cheers to our first 10 win season

29 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

There was some chatter about Butler in the OTAs. Personally I don’t think he fits the Buffalo nickel as he is too small to be effective against the run. There was talk of him at free and McCain at Buffalo/slot which I think makes more sense. Although late word had St Juste as a sleeper at the slot. He’s big and could really fit the Buffalo. 

1 minute ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

1999 as well...

I’ll give you that one in a technicality only.  

The first thing Dan tried to do when he bought the team was undo the Brad Johnson deal.  

So he tried to sabotage his team before they’d played a game.  And when he wasn’t successful, they won 10 games.

So he tried and succeeded in sabotaging them the next year by signing Jeff George.

2000’s Dan was a mess in a completely different direction.  I’ll give the guy this, he’s managed to basically mess up the team twice in two different ways. That takes talent….

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

There was some chatter about Butler in the OTAs. Personally I don’t think he fits the Buffalo nickel as he is too small to be effective against the run. There was talk of him at free and McCain at Buffalo/slot which I think makes more sense. Although late word had St Juste as a sleeper at the slot. He’s big and could really fit the Buffalo. 

Wait, where would that leave Curl?