Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things 2022 OTAs/Training Camp Thread

Forever A Redskin

Shawn Springs and Logan Paulsen giving Christian Holmes some very high praise on the latest episode of Command Center on YouTube.

Springs said he looks like he's a veteran out there already. Said his hips are fluid for a bigger corner.

Man I know it's early but it's hard to not feel like we absolutely nailed this draft class.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Shawn Springs and Logan Paulsen giving Christian Holmes some very high praise on the latest episode of Command Center on YouTube.

Springs said he looks like he's a veteran out there already. Said his hips are fluid for a bigger corner.

Man I know it's early but it's hard to not feel like we absolutely nailed this draft class.

Springs hasn't aged a day. Looks like he could still play today lol

• Like 1

Just watched this video mostly focused on Dotson in OTAs. Great to see him catch with his hands extended. I love Terry but the one small knock on him sometimes in my humble opinion is that he catches the ball with his body a bit too much.

Waiting on the ball to get to the body (just that fraction of time) gives the defender am opportunity to knock the ball out. I’m a huge fan of Davante Adams (better hands than DHop) and he has the best hands in the league. He gets his big paws on the ball and it’s always out front of the defender. 

I was a bit disappointed when we drafted Dotson because I wanted a big receiver but he looks like he could be a real stud. Hope he turns out to be a Gary Clark type receiver 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Well this is the time of the year to be optimistic.  I’m still skeptical.  I do think Dotson is a day one contributor.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Nice to see SIP making plays. Maybe we found our starting Nickel CB in the 7th round.

I used to run track, clocked not long ago at 4.4 at Miami's Superbowl Experience a couple years ago.   I am probably closer to 4.5 at my age now.  I could run 4.4 give or take like 20 years ago so i think their clock was wrong, but I'll take it. 😎

So yeah in short, I am ready to make an impact this year.  I like my chances with Wentz throwing the rock. 😎

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Haha 8
  • Thumb up 1

Speaking conservatively, I believe that in 20 or 30 years they'll look back at this draft and free agent class of rookies, that began the Commanders unprecedented run of consecutive Lombardi trophies and the multiple first ballot hall of fame players we selected in it, as the finest group of young players ever assembled in a single off season in any sport in the entire history of the world.

Speaking conservatively, of course.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Speaking conservatively, I believe that in 20 or 30 years they'll look back at this draft and free agent class of rookies, that began the Commanders unprecedented run of consecutive Lombardi trophies and the multiple first ballot hall of fame players we selected in it, as the finest group of young players ever assembled in a single off season in any sport in the entire history of the world.

Speaking conservatively, of course.

mxZCFSntyI=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I used to run track, clocked not long ago at 4.4 at Miami's Superbowl Experience a couple years ago.   I am probably closer to 4.5 at my age now.  I could run 4.4 give or take like 20 years ago so i think their clock was wrong, but I'll take it. 😎

So yeah in short, I am ready to make an impact this year.  I like my chances with Wentz throwing the rock. 😎

The annual mention I run/ran a 4.4 ;) Lol

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, wit33 said:

The annual mention I run/ran a 4.4 ;) Lol

Not annual, twice in my time here people started the joke with me for different reasons about playing for the team and twice I've responded in fun.  But I am glad the previous time stuck with you so much that you remember it and even better that it feels like an annual event.  😉

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I have no doubts Dotson will be a damn good player but I am a little worried about our CBs. 

Yea me too. I was already worried about them honestly. We are built for pass rush to make their lives easier and I doubt we have a serious pass rush. If we can score though, then it’s a ballgame regardless. 

15 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Yea me too. I was already worried about them honestly. We are built for pass rush to make their lives easier and I doubt we have a serious pass rush. If we can score though, then it’s a ballgame regardless. 

If we don't have a serious pass rush with the investment in the front seven and especially our DE's then something is very very wrong. And I would look at coaching before I looked at the players.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

If we don't have a serious pass rush with the investment in the front seven and especially our DE's then something is very very wrong. And I would look at coaching before I looked at the players.

I fear our talent isn’t any better…..arguably worse….than last season on the line. It doesn’t give me warm and fuzzies. 

Admittedly though, I know little and am a pessimist for the most part. 

2 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I fear our talent isn’t any better…..arguably worse….than last season on the line. It doesn’t give me warm and fuzzies. 

Admittedly though, I know little and am a pessimist for the most part. 

The talent in question though includes 5 recent first round picks. Including two athletic freaks at DE.

It is up to coaches to put these guys in positions to succeed, cant just rely on talent in the NFL, the other guys get paid as well. Scheme matters.

42 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

I don't know about you but if I was faster than Jerry Rice in his prime I'd be trying to get signed up somewhere. 

Maybe do some sprints in front of Snyder's house. You never know, he might invite you bowling.  :silly:

You got to be cool though like RG3 and Portis.  Wonder who he wants to hang out with in this roster?  I suspect he'd want to hang with Chase.

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

It is up to coaches to put these guys in positions to succeed, cant just rely on talent in the NFL, the other guys get paid as well. Scheme matters.

Maybe more time in the scheme helps a lot but what I remember is that whenever Wade Phillips took over a defense (like Denver after Del Rio) the players being asked why they performed so much better said that they were just allowed to make plays instead of thinking about things and reacting.

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

The talent in question though includes 5 recent first round picks. Including two athletic freaks at DE.

Right. Don’t disagree. Me mentioning only the talent is a stupid way to say I don’t think the coaches put them in the best position possible last time and I have doubts they will this time. 

I guess in my mind I see coaching as mostly static unless a major move is made or you have a particularly young guy at the helm. So unless talent gets better I don’t see an improvement. 

You are right though. We have more than enough to be formidable on the line. I just think they are going to continue to rely on a 4 man rush thinking that it gives them an advantage when really we just are not getting home enough for it to matter. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I have no doubts Dotson will be a damn good player but I am a little worried about our CBs. 

Yeah, the thing is, these drills are designed for the offense to look good.  (I mean, that's not the intent, but that really is the reality.)

There is really no bump-run, no coverage help, no pass rush, etc.  

If our DBs are getting toasted in preseason, I'll be worried.  (Very worried, in fact.)

But until then, this is what SHOULD be happening.  

38 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I'd look at both.  Though the DL coach is apparently not very well liked by the players and JP was questioning overtly why he's still around.

But I have questions about the players. 

- I have questions about Payne as a consistent presence.  He shows flashes but not consistently.  WHY?  Motivation?  Conditioning?  Desire?  

- I have questions about Sweat's ability to play within the scheme.  Too often, and this was going on before Ron, he just got washed out of the play for no reason.  It's like the tackle let's him go wherever he wants to and just pushes him in that direction.  You want to go inside?  Sure, here, meat my friend Mr. Guard 5 yards down field.  You want to go outside?  Ok, great, I'll let you loop all the way around to sideline.

- I have questions about Young's maturity and willingness to listen to the coaches. (And his knee, until proven healthy.)  He's only 2 years in, but he skipped a bunch of work last off-season, and then tried to do things he shouldn't have been doing when he got here.  He was easily moved, didn't play with power, didn't play with explosion.  Why?

- I have no questions about Jon Allen.  

You've got to have good coaching, for sure.  But some of this seems like it's the grey matter between the ears.  

That said, I think JDR was overly conservative last year when Sweat and Young were on the field.  He needs to be more creative and bring more pressures, even with his best pass-rushers out there.  He did it when they went down due to injury.  Don't wait.  Bring the funk and bring the noise. In other words ...

Be Aggressive GIFs | Tenor

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yeah, the thing is, these drills are designed for the offense to look good.  (I mean, that's not the intent, but that really is the reality.)

There is really no bump-run, no coverage help, no pass rush, etc.  

If our DBs are getting toasted in preseason, I'll be worried.  (Very worried, in fact.)

But until then, this is what SHOULD be happening.  

At least from the perspective of training camp on offense there are three things you can see that IMO has carry over

A.  QB accuracy.  They are asked to make so many diffferent type of throws that you can see their consistency and accuracy and their sweet spots and where they struggle.  I mentioned last year you can see that both Fitz and Heinicke were streaky.  They'd got hot and then all of sudden get wild especially Heinicke.  You can see that Fitz had much better velocity on the ball than Heinicke which was striking in part because Fitz wasn't known for velocity.

B.  Compare one Qb to the other.  It's easy to see the comparison because the QBs are making the same throws back to back

C.  What type of offense they plan to run because of what they practice more of.  I recall for example watching the camp before the season Chris Thompson exploded and I recall saying man are they throwing the ball a lot to him in practice. 

30 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Maybe more time in the scheme helps a lot but what I remember is that whenever Wade Phillips took over a defense (like Denver after Del Rio) the players being asked why they performed so much better said that they were just allowed to make plays instead of thinking about things and reacting.

In order for this to work, you've got to be able to beat the guy in front of you.  

Too many times recently, our studs up front have just been washed out of the play meekly because they can't win the 1:1 battles.

That's partially on the coaches, make sure they have the technique to make plays.  It's partially on the players, they have to actually do it.  And it's partially on the FO to make sure you've got the right guys to use the techniques to make plays.  I think Sweat and Young have the talent, so it's on the other 2 pieces to figure out why it's not working.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

That said, I think JDR was overly conservative last year when Sweat and Young were on the field.  He needs to be more creative and bring more pressures, even with his best pass-rushers out there.  He did it when they went down due to injury.  Don't wait.  Bring the funk and bring the noise. In other words ...

This was my point really. I think at the start of the season we believed our own bull**** too much about the talent on the D'line and thought we could just turn them loose and play C3 behind that front four.

There are though of course legitimate questions about Young coming off a disappointing start to the season and the ACL, Sweat with questions about his willingness to play inside the scheme. Also questions about our corners and what scheme fit works for them both - one is better in man and one is better in zone. But we have the horses to be a very good D - it needs coaching to put them in the best position to make plays, and hold them accountable if they don't. 

• Like 2