Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things 2022 OTAs/Training Camp Thread

Forever A Redskin

54 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I happened to catch this interview with Michael Phillips from Richmond Times.

• The offense is winning unlike prior camps where defense did and looks like it has a lot of weapons
  • Talked about offensive line with Callahan leaving but Matsko has done a great job coaching guys up
  • Not looking to have a QB put the team on it's back - Wentz fits what they need and he thinks Wentz will be just fine
  • Talked about Pats coming in for camp a few years ago and how you know what a professional offense looks like.  That's what it looks like in these OTA's, well run, crisp, good timing, fast offense
  • Low level stand outs who've been catching a lot of passes - Alex Erickson (WR) and Curtis Hodges (TE)
  • Offense with Fitz, Alex Smith and TH looked nothing like it does with Wentz, so much more professional
  • Logan Thomas recovery is progressing but he doesn't think he'll be ready week 1.  Could be an IR situation and tough decison because that would require 4 weeks this year
  • Talked about RB's, mixing things in with starting Robinson and Gibson won't get 100% of snaps
  • Chase Young - week to week return.  When the subject of last year slump comes up he tends to shrug it off and Phillips wondered if he learned anything but it's also part of Chase's personality, doesn't give out any self reflection

Good summary i was just about to post the same.   I'd add on Chase, he said some of the greats shrug off bad plays, that's part of their greatness, they don't dwell on the negative. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

This is telling.  Remember how last year we were hyped up about St. Juste.  How he was locking up WR's, and looked like he could start in the NFL, etc etc.

Well it turns out our offense was way worse than we realized, making him look like a world beater.

Dotson comes in and with Terry gone, he's somehow already the best WR on the team.  It doesn't appear to be close.  He's the 5th WR drafted, so it's not like we just nabbed Jamarr Chase.  It's just that all the WR's outside of Terry are much worse than we realized.  The group was bad.

In comes Wentz and he can make throws others couldn't, helping highlight how limited our QB's have been.

No wonder we get all excited about the defense every off-season.  They looked like all stars against a crap offensive roster.  We fooled ourselves for multiple offseasons that Landon Collins or Bostic could cover.  Well they could...against our offense.  But they couldn't against anybody else.

This isn't me saying the offense will suddenly be great.  Just saying we appear to finally have some decent players.  The others were a mirage we got a fooled by.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

This is telling.  Remember how last year we were hyped up about St. Juste.  How he was locking up WR's, and looked like he could start in the NFL, etc etc.

Well it turns out our offense was way worse than we realized, making him look like a world beater.

Dotson comes in and with Terry gone, he's somehow already the best WR on the team.  It doesn't appear to be close.  He's the 5th WR drafted, so it's not like we just nabbed Jamarr Chase.  It's just that all the WR's outside of Terry are much worse than we realized.  The group was bad.

In comes Wentz and he can make throws others couldn't, helping highlight how limited our QB's have been.

No wonder we get all excited about the defense every off-season.  They looked like all stars against a crap offensive roster.  We fooled ourselves for multiple offseasons that Landon Collins or Bostic could cover.  Well they could...against our offense.  But they couldn't against anybody else.

This isn't me saying the offense will suddenly be great.  Just saying we appear to finally have some decent players.  The others were a mirage we got a fooled by.

I think you're underrating Dotson's ability. He was the 5th receiver taken in the draft, but the top of the receiver class was loaded in this draft and isn't representative of a significant decline in talent from them. Also, I think he's better than Olave. The Saints gave up a bunch to take Olave, we got a bunch to take, in my opinion, the better receiver.

But the meat of your point I agree with. Our defense is just okay. And that's not a bad thing. When they are on they are on. When they are off they are off. Very little in between. 

• Like 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I was at camp last year in Richmond and you could see some of the defenses bravado in action.  the one exception is you could see William Jackson being schooled by Terry in man to man. 

As I mentioned back then you could see Fitz and Heinicke often get hot and then turn cold from drive to drive especially Heinicke as to turning cold.

The defense wasn't really tested in camp.  With the benefit of hindsight, it doesn't sound crazy that they were smoked especially early on perhaps becauuse of not being tested and also having a false sense of bravado.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I think you're underrating Dotson's ability. He was the 5th receiver taken in the draft, but the top of the receiver class was loaded in this draft and isn't representative of a significant decline in talent from them. Also, I think he's better than Olave. The Saints gave up a bunch to take Olave, we got a bunch to take, in my opinion, the better receiver.

But the meat of your point I agree with. Our defense is just okay. And that's not a bad thing. When they are on they are on. When they are off they are off. Very little in between. 

Yeah the more I listen to Dotson and watch him the more he screams that he has a lot in common with Terry.  I mentioned this on the draft thread while watching the Hey Rookie show before the draft, Dotson comes off as a special dude.

Does he end up as good as Terry?  I don't know.  But the more I digest the more I like his chances.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Maybe the defense sucks so our offense looks like world beaters in OTAs.

• Haha 3

On 5/31/2022 at 12:50 PM, redskinss said:

Stacked with potential and one proven guy coming off a major injury. 

We do this to ourselves every offseason, look at physical traits and project it to be a "stacked" group and then the regular season rolls around and reality sets in.

I truly hope you're right but I'm waiting to see some production before I start buying the hype this time.

Been fooled way too many times.

Yeah, I think it's a bit funny to call the position "stacked" when the lead guy has one season over 200 yards (Thomas) in his career and is coming off an ACL tear. The only other guy that's accomplished anything in the NFL has career totals of 25 catches and 249 yards. The rest of the group has plenty of upside (in theory), but are all late round picks and UDFA projects. I think in total there's about 1400 career yards of receiving for the group, which is basically what Travis Kelce did in 2020. In one season. By himself.

And I say this liking what the team has done at tight end. It was an abysmal group with no upside when Rivera took over the job, so maybe the bar was low. But now it's at least intriguing. The team definitely has a type, as Thomas, Reyes, Turner, and Hodges are all at least 6'6" and athletic as hell. Armani Rogers too (although he's only 6'5") if he gets counted in the group (Bates is also that tall, but not that athletic). But it still remains to be seen how much of that translates into actual NFL games.

• Like 2

On 5/31/2022 at 12:37 PM, Forever A Redskin said:

TE is probably my most exciting position group thus far. Gonna be difficult to stash any of these guys on the PS without getting poached by another team. Thinking we keep 4. Does Logan start the year on IR? Ditto Sammis Reyes, he's been out for the first portion of OTAs nursing an injury (doesn't bode well for his chances). 

If Thomas starts the year on IR, he'd still have to make the final 53 first or miss the entire season. Unless you're talking about being on the PUP list instead. But that seems unlikely as he'd have to literally have to fail a basic psychical. Something even Alex Smith or Ruben Foster could do.

As for cuts, not sure how much interest there is in Reyes (or even Hodges) on a 53. We'll learn a bunch more on where both are in the coming months. But they're both projects. And AGG has been cut before, so he's unlikely to garner much interest.

• Like 1

I've never been very high on Thomas, so him being out this year doesn't bother me. He fits a long line of great pass catching injured TEs that refuse to block. We have a solid WR room.

I'm very high on Bates, but there are some interesting guys in the TE room, but I'd hardly call it stacked.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 10:37 AM, HigSkin said:

Listening to Finlay and BMitch, Finlay said it's interesting he has yet to see a 3 LB'er set in these OTA's.  Could be something or could be nothing.  BMitch added often times in OTA's they work on certain things and might not want people to see to much of what will really be happening in season.

It's because they couldn't find 3 linebackers to put on the filed at once :P

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Yeah, I think it's a bit funny to call the position "stacked" when the lead guy has one season over 200 yards (Thomas) in his career and is coming off an ACL tear. The only other guy that's accomplished anything in the NFL has career totals of 25 catches and 249 yards. The rest of the group has plenty of upside (in theory), but are all late round picks and UDFA projects. I think in total there's about 1400 career yards of receiving for the group, which is basically what Travis Kelce did in 2020. In one season. By himself.

And I say this liking what the team has done at tight end. It was an abysmal group with no upside when Rivera took over the job, so maybe the bar was low. But now it's at least intriguing. The team definitely has a type, as Thomas, Reyes, Turner, and Hodges are all at least 6'6" and athletic as hell. Armani Rogers too (although he's only 6'5") if he gets counted in the group (Bates is also that tall, but not that athletic). But it still remains to be seen how much of that translates into actual NFL games.

Ron likes to add freak athletes whenever possible. Pure speculation, but my guess is the rosters overall weight, height, and 40 times have improved dramatically during Ron’s tenure. 

Obviously the game of football is more nuanced then height, weight, and speed, but it sure can help and something Ron and company seem to value greatly. 

• Like 1

Went today and here are some random observations.

It was one of those STH Gold Member packages, so it was a very light crowd and it was a blast.

I've attended many of these over the years, and this was most fan-friendly practices I've ever been too.  Catered breakfast, and refreshments before and during practice. Plenty of room to spread out. Honestly,  I spent a lot of time catching up with friends,  and fellow fans and didn't pay as much attention as I have in the past, because I've been to so many of these things.

As far as the action on the field goes, I can't add much. What did stick out, is Wentz was on top of of everything,  talking it up with his teammates and is very confident and DAMN, he has a quick release and a big arm.  It was refreshing to see the ball get out of a Washington QB's hand so quickly.  It probably doesn't hurt that he can see over the O-line, which helps. It's early, but he's clearly in charge.

Cole Kelley...he is huge, like 6'7" 260lb huge. His passes were pretty sharp too. McKissic and Gibson looked sharp.

Dotson is as advertised. His route running is very polished, for a rookie, and he catches everything. I'm sorry that I don't have as much detail as other posters, but I was there to chill, catch up with friends, and get my football fix.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 7
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Logan Paulsen on Standig's podcast

A.  He's real high on this rookie cast based on what he's seen, all of them, exciting draft class

B.  Can see Wentz's skill set jump out especially thanks watching him throw back to back with Heinicke as to velocity.  Wenz had some errant throws that were pickable.  But you can see his physical assets on display.  Looks like a pro who already has some mastery over the system.   Wentz looks hands on in a good way dealing with the other players on offense. 

C.  His pick for a darkhorse player for making the roster -- Chris Paul, he can see his size/talent. 

D.  Dotson looks good, sharp route runner, creates space, effortless

E.  He wasn't that high on Cole Turner pre-draft but he's impressed with what he's seen of him in camp.  All three Qbs already have a good comfort level with him.   Very consistent.  Strong effort.  Strong hands.  He looks effortless.   Sudden.  Practices full out -- likes his intangibles based on what he's seen. 

F.  Thinks AGG has a long way to go based on what he's seen.  A. Rogers who is the QB converting to TE looks impressive as a physical speciman.

F.  Curtis Hodges looked good, he thinks he plays this season or if not next season. 

G.  He wasn't high on Sam Howell pre-draft but impressed with what he's seen so far.  Arm-talent, moxie, accuracy.  Needs to improve on hitting WRs in stride

H.  Jamin Davis looks more fluid, decisive and reads-reacts quicker, looks more confident

I.  Derrick Forrest playing more witth team 1-2 than Percy Butler.  Butler playing more with 2-3 group

J.  He picked Brian Robinson as a dude that really jumps.  He's more fluid than he expected, loose hips and shoulder movement

• Like 9
  • Thanks 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2