Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The All Things 2022 OTAs/Training Camp Thread

Forever A Redskin

33 minutes ago, philibusters said:

Am I the only one who conflated David Bada and Efe Obada during the preseason?

Bada bing, obada boom, amiright?

I had another joke, but I’m not trying to cross any lines here in the stadium……PM me if you wanna hear it :) 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

This is where it came from.  

She never really corrected her original post, just commented to confirm it, and a lot of people (maybe including me?) missed the clarification.  I think she got some blowback on twitter, and then instead of editing or fixing, she just clarified.

Typical Washington Post sloppiness.  (That last bit was sarcasm. Kindof.)

Yep, it wasn’t just her, but other beat reporters as well.  So does the International Pathways program give a team any roster benefit at all in season? Does it allow them to carry 81 guys in the offseason?

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I have them broken out the way they are listed on the official website.  What is odd is they have Daniel Wise listed as a DE on the roster, but in the press release, they have him listed as a DT.  So, pick your poison, I guess.  

The OTs they have listed are Leno, Lucas, Cosmi and Charles.  They list Nowell, Paul, Schweitzer and Turner as Guards, and Rouiller as Center. 

The issue I have with the depth is Tuner hasn't practiced yet.  Let's say Schweitzer starts at Guard, Rouiller at Center, and Turner isn't healthy.  If Rouiller goes down, Schweitzer HAS to fill in at Center, and you bring in Charles as a guard.  That's fine.  But then, you are one snap away from Paul playing meaningful minutes.  It's just really thin.  It's not the end of the world, but they only are carrying 9, a lot of teams carry 10.  

Charles is a BAD tackle, though, so if something were to happen and he has to start at tackle, then that's a bad position to be in.  I'd prefer to have one more backup tackle, and I'd prefer that Turner was actually healthy.  :) 

I mean, I trust Matsko to be the arbiter of how many guards and tackles we need.  If he thinks they will be fine, you have to trust his instincts and his success rate thus far.  I absolutely love how most of our O-line played during the preseason.  

• Thumb up 1

I'd note that the Chiefs waived Austin Reiter who could be a decent backup center.  It would build depth, and I'll bet Matsko could really help to improve Reiter's skillset.

Still didn't see much in the way of decent  linebackers on the waiver-wire.  Maybe Joe Schobert would be worth picking up.  He's an inside linebacker, and seems to have been more of a salary cap casualty than a faded talent.  Hopefully Washington has at least considered this guy who was quite talented at one point.  And he's still fairly young (28) for a veteran player.

Last year, no team played four opponents off of mini-byes. This year, it’s happening to three teams: the Commanders, Jets and Jaguars.

The Commanders remarkably play four games with three-day rest disadvantages. 

In Week 10, the Commanders play the Eagles, who are off a mini-bye after playing Thursday of Week 9. The same happens when Washington plays the Giants in Week 13 (NYG plays on Thanksgiving the prior week), the 49ers in Week 16 (S.F. plays on Thursday of Week 15) and the Cowboys in Week 18 (Dallas plays on Thursday of Week 17).

So, not only is Washington playing four teams off mini-byes; they are playing all four very late in the season.

This season, the Cowboys play six games against opponents who have less than a week to prepare for them.

Only twice in the prior 30 seasons did a team play six games vs. opponents with less than a week to prepare. But now we have one this year.

No other team plays more than four games like that besides Dallas. Keep in mind, last season no other team played more than four games. 

The NFL average is 2.6 such games per season.  

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Preston Wiliams is 6'5 and only 25, released by Miami......easy pick up over Dyami Brown. Would love to see a big WR in the fold to go with Cam. No doubt Wentz would like it too given his penchant to throw to the TE's. 

I would too.  But I would think some of these WR desperate teams like GB or ATL would be all over that and more desirable for him.  Coming here, he's still gonna be inactive every week if he took Brown's spot.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

More like tie them to the goalposts and just let BRob do what he wants.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Last year, no team played four opponents off of mini-byes. This year, it’s happening to three teams: the Commanders, Jets and Jaguars.

In Week 10, the Commanders play the Eagles, who are off a mini-bye after playing Thursday of Week 9. The same happens when Washington plays the Giants in Week 13 (NYG plays on Thanksgiving the prior week), the 49ers in Week 16 (S.F. plays on Thursday of Week 15) and the Cowboys in Week 18 (Dallas plays on Thursday of Week 17).

So, not only is Washington playing four teams off mini-byes; they are playing all four very late in the season.

This season, the Cowboys play six games against opponents who have less than a week to prepare for them.

Only twice in the prior 30 seasons did a team play six games vs. opponents with less than a week to prepare. But now we have one this year.

No other team plays more than four games like that besides Dallas. Keep in mind, last season no other team played more than four games. 

Not to mention 3 of the 4 are each of their division rivals.

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

7. The group that scares me the most is the CB group, and I like 1-3.  But Holmes is the only other CB.  That makes me nervous.  

For me, it's DE.  That group of 5 had 10 sacks combined last year. I dont know how any of those dudes are gonna get to the QB.  I'm including Montez Sweat in that too.  If we don't get push up the middle to make up for it, these QBs are gonna stand back there doing their taxes.  Then our CBs are gonna get cooked.  I hope we have the rush to help them out.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wyvern said:

I'd note that the Chiefs waived Austin Reiter who could be a decent backup center.  It would build depth, and I'll bet Matsko could really help to improve Reiter's skillset.

if we are going to pickup some discarded OL… i want us to take a hard look at Leatherwood who was released by the Raiders.   There is talent there but just raw.

maybe Matsko can salvage something there

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sjinhan said:

if we are going to pickup some discarded OL… i want us to take a hard look at Leatherwood who was released by the Raiders.   There is talent there but just raw.

maybe Matsko can salvage something there

I agree.  I mean if he is nothing more then a 5-10 snaps a game guy... didn't he get more PT in LV last year then that?  He obviously could be a good insurance investment if nothing else.  Shouldn't cost us too much either.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am really sick and tired of the league always giving us a disadvantage in our schedule, while favoring others in our same division.   It is frustrating.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, justice98 said:

I would too.  But I would think some of these WR desperate teams like GB or ATL would be all over that and more desirable for him.  Coming here, he's still gonna be inactive every week if he took Brown's spot.

More like tie them to the goalposts and just let BRob do what he wants.

Team wide tackling dummies

I can't ever recall keeping 5 TEs... maybe its a tell to how we will roll on offense.  Lots of max protect 2TE PA sets?  Or maybe get a few snaps at FB. I actually wanted to keep Blanton. Back in the day we probably kept 2FBs and 3TEs... I miss Iron Mike Sellers.

Edited by RandyHolt

4 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Yep, it wasn’t just her, but other beat reporters as well.  So does the International Pathways program give a team any roster benefit at all in season? Does it allow them to carry 81 guys in the offseason?

IPP players don't count against the 90 man offseason roster (effectively giving a team 91 players), nor do they count for cut purposes until the final cut to 53 (the team previously had to make two small rounds of cuts prior). If they don't make the final roster, the team can re-sign them as a practice squad player and they don't count against the practice squad numbers either (effectively giving teams an extra practice squad player). Otherwise, if they are on the active roster (like Obada is) then they count just as anyone else would.

5 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

This is where it came from.  

She never really corrected her original post, just commented to confirm it, and a lot of people (maybe including me?) missed the clarification.  I think she got some blowback on twitter, and then instead of editing or fixing, she just clarified.

Typical Washington Post sloppiness.  (That last bit was sarcasm. Kindof.)

I mean the "clarification" was posted 1 minute later, can't really fault her for that. I'd figure fans of team would be familiar with Bada and his status since he's been around for years.

9 minutes ago, Jericho said:

mean the "clarification" was posted 1 minute later, can't really fault her for that. I'd figure fans of team would be familiar with Bada and his status since he's been around for years.

It got retweeted several times (I think I saw it from Standig or JP) without the clarification.  I don’t follow her. 

I can see where the confusion stemmed from.  And I think it started with her and retweet’s.  

Listening to Keim, Paulsen, etc.  They seem most concerned of late about CB depth.

I get the impression that they don't think the backups at LB are that bad.  Milo Eifler in particular.  Like Jamin, Mo played only a year and change of college ball.  One of his teammates here, forgetting whom, maybe Holcomb, said athletically he's a freak.

This is last year

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2021/5/10/22427380/focusing-in-on-former-illinois-linebacker-milo-eifler-signed-by-the-new-york-jets-as-a-udfa

He is a freak,” former Illinois strength and conditioning coach Joey Boese told Illini Inquirer earlier this month. “I’ve been doing this for a while now, and he is genetically very, very gifted. I’ve enjoyed working with him. He came here, he had a shoulder (injury) and we took care of it right away. So right now, he’s really just getting back into doing everything full speed. For the first two and a half weeks of working out, he has really impressed. This guy is, like I said, very gifted genetically and he works. He likes football. He’s a football junkie, and I look for him to have a huge season. If it’s a guy that people don’t really know about or forgot about, I think he’s a guy that will make a big-time impact this fall.”

Edited by Skinsinparadise

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listening to Keim, Paulsen, etc.  They seem most concerned of late about CB depth.

I get the impression that they don't think the backups at LB are that bad.  Milo Eifler in particular.  Like Jamin, Mo played only a year and change of college ball.  One of his teammates here, forgetting whom, maybe Holcomb, said athletically he's a freak.

This is last year

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2021/5/10/22427380/focusing-in-on-former-illinois-linebacker-milo-eifler-signed-by-the-new-york-jets-as-a-udfa

He is a freak,” former Illinois strength and conditioning coach Joey Boese told Illini Inquirer earlier this month. “I’ve been doing this for a while now, and he is genetically very, very gifted. I’ve enjoyed working with him. He came here, he had a shoulder (injury) and we took care of it right away. So right now, he’s really just getting back into doing everything full speed. For the first two and a half weeks of working out, he has really impressed. This guy is, like I said, very gifted genetically and he works. He likes football. He’s a football junkie, and I look for him to have a huge season. If it’s a guy that people don’t really know about or forgot about, I think he’s a guy that will make a big-time impact this fall.”

I have paid zero attention to Milo. I'll have to see if I can go back and see what he did and see what we have in him.

I have a feeling the roster comp is going to start changing wildly beginning today.