Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If you won the lottery, what would you do?

Spaceman Spiff

3 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

I never win at MegaMillions or Powerball; so only time I play those is if they get around Billion.

I just play scratch offs when playing lotto. Nothing big but I usually win $1000 or $500, at least once a year.

my family starts texting each other when it gets around 500 million.  I never even think about it otherwise.

To answer this threads question.  I’d build a house on the beach for me.  Maybe buy a small boat of some kind and learn the culture of boat people.  Then I’d hire hire a small troop of sad clowns to follow Ted Cruz around silently.  No threats and no demands.  No protesting of any kind.  I want them just to be present wherever he happens to be, to the point where if anyone sees Ted they expect to see the clowns also.  

• Haha 5

11 minutes ago, Destino said:

my family starts texting each other when it gets around 500 million.  I never even think about it otherwise.

To answer this threads question.  I’d build a house on the beach for me.  Maybe buy a small boat of some kind and learn the culture of boat people.  Then I’d hire hire a small troop of sad clowns to follow Ted Cruz around silently.  No threats and no demands.  No protesting of any kind.  I want them just to be present wherever he happens to be, to the point where if anyone sees Ted they expect to see the clowns also.  

Seems redundant.  I already expect clowns to be around when I see Ted Cruz.  'Course they call themselves "congressional republicans"...tomato, tomahta.

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

Disappear. No one will ever see or hear from me again. From that point on, I’m somewhere in nature just being peaceful.

Yep, kinda like I said at the beginning of this thread...

I don't know what I'll do,  but I can name a lot of things I won't ever do again. 

• Like 2

Most of us achieve the success we have in life in part by being disciplined and thinking of reasons not to spend money. It’s hard to think what super rich would be like.

Big lottery money does a lot more than give people financial independence and small upgrades in lifestyle.

Even $20M at a very safe withdrawal rate of 3% (which  should mean the principal never depletes with conservative investing) gives $600k per year to live on -  that’s a pretty large lifestyle, and with ability to help out others.

$350M (after tax) means you can either spend yourself (or your relatives) into destruction, or do a lot of good work - conservatively $15M in charitable donations every year for perpetuity.

I only want one house. More houses means more **** to deal with. You can hire people but then you need to manage them. **** that. As they say about expensive things … “If it flies, floats, or ****s, rent it.”

As for spending:

1. House by a lake near the mountains with all the modern upgrades and finishes
2. A nice new car each that have the latest safety features that we drive until new model upgrades are worth replacing them. We’ve avoided two potentially serious accidents where the cars warned us about hazards.

3. Helped out less fortunate family without being a slush fund. Help the kids have safe cars too.

4. Being more generous with tipping, charity and meaningful holiday/birthday gifts

5. Extensive travel plans.

6. Not delaying minor (say <$2000) purchases that we will use often and enjoy (such as electronics upgrades).

7. Not overthinking medium purchases (say <$10k) that will make an impact(such a larger holiday, event experiences, or some home improvement/landscaping).

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Pass. 

That's the difference between you and me; my fan-ship isn't for sale.  Yours obviously is and you didn't even have anyone offer you $1m for it, you just hopped ship as soon as a team moved closer.

Do not let this proud idiot deter your thinking @Riggo#44 I’ll gladly take a million to follow whatever baseball team you recommend.  30 regular season games and playoffs.  I’ll even purchase a hat.  

• Haha 3

I've thought about this question many times through the years.  I want to say not much in my life would change.  Knowing somebody whose parents really did win a big lottery about ten years ago, I have always liked what they did.  They found a nice street in a new development, and they had three houses built.  One was for them, and the others were for their two kids and their families.  They bought new cars but nothing flashy.  They paid off their kids' student loans, and now they live their normal pre-lottery lives if having to work much less.  Their spending habits after that initial set up haven't changed much, and they are happy.

I think about the study where half of lottery winners are bankrupt in 10 years.  I think sports stars have similar problems unless they get a good money manager.  

I try to tell myself my goal as a teenager was to make enough money that money would never be the major reason I did or did not do something I really wanted to do.  I defined being rich as living in a house where traveling and staying in a hotel was never as comfortable as my home.  I also thought a family income of 100k a year was rich too (view from a teenager in the 80's and 90's have changed as a father of 4 in the D.C, area now).  Still, having hit those wealth goals, I am not sure how much I would change my life.  I might quit my job to become a full time patient advocate or lobby for healthcare changes, but that is about it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

@Riggo#44 that's fine, take @Destino's offer.  He's a simple one, just rub his belly and scratch behind his ears and tell him he's a good boy.  That's all he needs.

That'll start the conversation.  

I am indeed a simple man, willing to accept a meager million dollars to watch regular season baseball.  Its not the most pleasant way to pass the time, but it’s a sacrifice I’m willing to make.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

That's right.  @Riggo#44 is used to cheap tricks.  

You're the one turning tricks

1 hour ago, Corcaigh said:

How about $350million?

Is Scott Boras your agent too?

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Pass. 

That's the difference between you and me; my fan-ship isn't for sale.  Yours obviously is and you didn't even have anyone offer you $1m for it, you just hopped ship as soon as a team moved closer.

You know that makes you no different than the DC area Cowboys/Eagles/Giants fans, right?

• Confused 2

I couldn't sleep last night because I kept thinking of what I'd do with 530 mil.

Now I have to see what I can do with 630 mil!

https://abc7.com/mega-millions-jackpot-winning-numbers-today-megamillions-winners/12062686/

If you didn't win big in Tuesday night's Mega Million's drawing, you still have a chance!

No one won the jackpot prize for Tuesday's winning numbers drawing for a $530 million.

The winning numbers were: 2, 31, 32, 37, 70 and Mega Ball 25.