Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If you won the lottery, what would you do?

Spaceman Spiff

I haven't won the lottery.  But as one of the few here who is truly financially secure enough to only work if they want to, I will say it gets old not working.  I haven't figured which path I'm going down, but just doing whatever hobby I feel like that day is going to be ending sooner or later. 

I’ve been retired for a couple of years and was winding down for the two years before that.

My hobbies keep me busy and I volunteer for four organizations, one of which occupies a lot of my time in the Summer/Fall but on any day I can say no. The others are very small but regular commitments for causes I care about.

I still get calls asking to consult or do advisory but I find the idea of hearing myself talk about my areas of speciality boring. It must be how Mick Jagger feels when performing Jumping Jack Flash for the thousandth time. :ols:

54 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I haven't won the lottery.  But as one of the few here who is truly financially secure enough to only work if they want to, I will say it gets old not working.  I haven't figured which path I'm going down, but just doing whatever hobby I feel like that day is going to be ending sooner or later. 

Before I retired I thought the same but now I can’t see myself doing it. Anytime anyone would ask me to do anything I disagreed with I would just walk. Life is too short to tolerate the grind and other peoples bull**** when you don’t have to.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

Before I retired I thought the same but now I can’t see myself doing it. Anytime anyone would ask me to do anything I disagreed with I would just walk. Life is too short to tolerate the grind and other peoples bull**** when you don’t have to.

I'm not saying get a real job.  Last summer, I checked ID's at a bar like 10 hours a week.  No "grind" involved.  

To each their own.  Some can do it and some can't.  I was more just pointing out that you can't say what you would/wouldn't do until you've actually lived both.

2 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Yeah getting bored would be my struggle too. I think I’d continue my current career because I love what I do, invest most of the winnings, buy a house with cash in a good neighborhood, and enjoy a life of working because I want to, not because I need to. 

My ADHD is way too bad to ever get bored. I'll always have a million unfinished projects.

If I won the lottery I'd be the typical 50 yo dude sailing around the world with a yacht full of women and drugs. I'm kinda working towards that now any way.

I work a 60 hour a week job now and for fun have a mechanical shop building fun trucks.

I'd definitely buy my own island, too.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

My ADHD is way too bad to ever get bored. I'll always have a million unfinished projects.

If I won the lottery I'd be the typical 50 yo dude sailing around the world with a yacht full of women and drugs. I'm kinda working towards that now any way.

I work a 60 hour a week job now and for fun have a mechanical shop building fun trucks.

I'd definitely buy my own island, too.

Still hiring?

Asking for a friend...

• 5 months later...

Keep it away from any interpreters 😒

On a serious note, take full control of whatever the government allows me to keep and likely invest it. Would probably continue working to keep a steady stream of income going.

11 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Keep it away from any interpreters 😒

On a serious note, take full control of whatever the government allows me to keep and likely invest it. Would probably continue working to keep a steady stream of income going.

If you put a chunk, say $100m, in the most common (and sensible) investments …  stocks, bonds or savings accounts you will receive monthly and quarterly dividends and interest to the tune of multiple millions a year that will far, far outpace your income from being a working stiff.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Corcaigh said:

If you put a chunk, say $100m, in the most common (and sensible) investments …  stocks, bonds or savings accounts you will receive monthly and quarterly dividends and interest to the tune of multiple millions a year that will far, far outpace your income from being a working stiff.

id probably work part time or some thing to keep me active. 

11 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

id probably work part time or some thing to keep me active. 

People who continue to work after financial independence are choosing to spend their precious time to make money they don’t need to pay for experiences they probably won’t have.

Unless you are doing something like running a fishing boat charter and drinking beers with the customers. But working on autopilot doing something you don’t absolutely love for money you don’t need is a terrible waste of your hours on this earth.

Of course, volunteer and do things that you enjoy, but the reality is that 90% + of what most people do in their jobs is tedious.

We tell ourselves stories as working stiffs that our work is important or interesting to make the passage of time less depressing. 😁

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Thanks 1