Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

8 minutes ago, philibusters said:

At 282 pounds, do people see him as a guy who can play both on the outside or interior?

Yes.

I see him more as a DT (3-tech) than I do as a DE. But he can go out there and be productive. 

If its a pure win now approach. LG is the open spot now.

Wonder if so the LT's converting to LG are interesting:  Bergeron, Mauch, Steen, Daniels.  All guys i like.  Avilia played LG. 

I am a big Tippman guy, can play guard.  Not that a right guard can't play LG but wonder if they are in win now mode they'd prefer an O lineman who already played on that side.

That makes the 2nd round not so much the first as the play for the spot.

Not saying they are focused though on a win now approach but am running with the thought that if they are, this might be the thinking.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

I know “you can never have too many pass rushers” is legitimate but I’m a bit burned by the Mathis pick and then Payne extension. While we have yet to see what Mathis can do in that rotation, the idea of drafting an Edge early even with Sweat and Young being in their final deals seems premature. The NFL moves fast. You’re gonna have $100+ in cap space next year. If Sweat or Young (or both) walk then use some of that $$ on a DE in free agency. 

Def. Understand drafting a DE this year but I think it makes more sense in R4/5 from a depth perspective. I imagine we will bring back at least one of our DEs longterm. Worry about a starter replacement next year. Keep injecting our OL with talent early. If not BPA trade back 

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Wonder if so the LT's converting to LG are interesting:  Bergeron, Mauch, Steen, Daniels.  All guys i like.  Avilia played LG. 

I am a big Tippman guy, can play guard.  Not that a right guard can't play LG but wonder if they are in win now mode they'd prefer an O lineman who already played on that side.

Not saying they are focused though on a win now approach but am running with the thought that if they are, this might be the thinking.

Seems to me that if they want to win now, than it would either be Skoronski (if he's there) at 16 (to play guard and potentially tackle down the line if he can handle it) or CB.  Otherwise, trade down.  

21 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I know “you can never have too many pass rushers” is legitimate but I’m a bit burned by the Mathis pick and then Payne extension. While we have yet to see what Mathis can do in that rotation, the idea of drafting an Edge early even with Sweat and Young being in their final deals seems premature. The NFL moves fast. You’re gonna have $100+ in cap space next year. If Sweat or Young (or both) walk then use some of that $$ on a DE in free agency. 

Def. Understand drafting a DE this year but I think it makes more sense in R4/5 from a depth perspective. I imagine we will bring back at least one of our DEs longterm. Worry about a starter replacement next year. Keep injecting our OL with talent early. If not BPA trade back 

Mathis was never about Payne. He was about Settle and Iaoniddias.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Are we sure Gates is the C and not the LG? Seems weird to keep Roullier around if Gates is supposed to start.

Just now, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Are we sure Gates is the C and not the LG? Seems weird to keep Roullier around if Gates is supposed to start.

I don't think they're sure where Gates slots in.

But I think this opens up BPA for the team in the first.

Corner addressed. OL addressed.

Is it the best way to address them? Not ideally. But they were addressed.

G/C/RT are all signed with the two signings.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us go Skoronski or Torrence in the first. Hopefully if we do it's a trade back. Otherwise we may be in a true BPA situation. 

2 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I'd say definitely not. Really opens up a lot for us. I'm not convinced that he's a lock to start. Might just be an upgrade from Wes, but not Chase, Norwell or Paul yet.

I would be fine with a T or CB at 16. A trade back for a LG would be fine as well. Especially now that we know Wylie will be our starting RT. Maybe Jones or Witherspoon if either are there at 16. If not try to trade back a little and grab Torrence or Harrison. Round 2 for me would be Musgrave or possibly LaPorta. We could also go MLB here if To'o To'o or Campbell are there. Round 3 would be either CB, Lb, TE or OL depending how the first two rounds went. What we have done in FA so far has really allowed us to go BPA at 3 or 4 different positions in each round. Really liking this off season so far. 

Sorry fixed my post from Wylie at RG to RT.

Edited by clskinsfan

Mock Draft - Moved around a bit ...

16 to JAX for 24 and 56

47 and 97 to IND for 35

24: Anton Harrison, OT Oklahoma

35: Darnell Washington, TE Georgia

56: Deonte Banks, CB Maryland

118: Ricky Stromberg, C Arkansas

150: Dorian Williams, LB Tulane

193: Noah Ruggles, K Ohio State

215: Malik Cunningham, QB Louisville

233: Xavier Henderson, S Michigan State

Feels like a solid mock based on current FA status

• Like 2

On top of signing a Vet backup at QB. Probably not the worst idea to take a guy around 4th round if someone they like falls.

Hooker from Tenn recovering from his injury. McKee from Stanford. Duggen from TCU. Someone like that. Keep 3 QBs on the roster and develop your backup plan too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Mathis was never about Payne. He was about Settle and Iaoniddias.

I think he was insurance in case Payne walked, but he got hurt and Payne went to the probowl, making an emphatic point about his irreplacability.  I never thought Mathis was going to be a good replacement for Payne though.  The upside just isn't close, you're going from 4.9 speed and one if the fastest first steps on the team in the frame of the strongest guy on the team, to 5.2 speed.  That's significant.

Mathis can be a fantastic rotation rusher though.  Finally going to be able to bring Payne off the field for several series a game.  But we were going to be hurting if we lost Payne completely.

Ron and company have finally turned around one of this team's biggest failures/weaknesses: not being able to get second deals done with our key players.  They knocked it out the park with Terry, Allen, and Daron, and preserved the leadership core of the team.  The worm is turning my friends.  The football machine that Ron has been building is starting to work, the culture is changing, and I think we are in for a big season.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I think he was insurance in case Payne walked, but he got hurt and Payne went to the probowl, making an emphatic point about his irreplacability.  I never thought Mathis was going to be a good replacement for Payne though.  The upside just isn't close, you're going from 4.9 speed and one if the fastest first steps on the team in the frame of the strongest guy on the team, to 5.2 speed.  That's significant.

Mathis can be a fantastic rotation rusher though.  Finally going to be able to bring Payne off the field for several series a game.  But we were going to be hurting if we lost Payne completely.

Ron and company have finally turned around one of this team's biggest failures/weaknesses: not being able to get second deals done with our key players.  They knocked it out the park with Terry, Allen, and Daron, and preserved the leadership core of the team.  The worm is turning my friends.  The football machine that Ron has been building is starting to work, the culture is changing, and I think we are in for a big season.

Allen and Payne currently play an absurd amount of snaps for interior linemen. Hoping Ridgeway and Mathis can take their usage down. Ridgeway and Mathis are both natural NTs so they will allow Payne to play more three technique, which he is better at

Draft is going to be wide open. Edge to ultimately replace Sweat or Chase next year, TE or offensive weapon as both Thomas and Samuel may not be around due to their contracts. Isn’t Gibson a FA ?  CB as Fuller may not be about in 2024. 

So many options. If we stick at #16, at the moment it’s a lottery.

Brian Branch is a potential ‘surprise’ pick now for me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

McFadden at tackle to me is "meh" but at center he intrigues me.  The dude can move, good athlete.  He has the size to play center with good length for that spot.

Daniels, similar idea, don't like him at LT.  But guard or center, I'd be very intrigued. 

I'm all about converting undersized but really athletic LT's to Center. It would take them awhile to learn and feel comfortable with the position. Which is perfect timing for us as we don't need them now but will likely need them in 2024.

Leno, Cosmi, Paul, Gates, Wylie, Lucas, Roullier (this is 7)

Larsen (maybe for 8 )

Rookie developmental Center to sit for a year (9 total)

We could swap out Larsen for another rookie developmental OT to take Lucas or Lenos spot in 2024. Might not keep 10, but if so, then we would not need to worry about the developmental prospects getting into games too early.

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

That's why I feel Mathis wasn't a Payne replacement. 

1. When Ron says he wants to keep all the talent we draft, he means it and believes he will be able to.

2. We are very reactionary and draft for direct need and just lost both IDL back ups.

I use to think Mathis was a Payne insurance policy, but my tune changed.

24 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Drafting an Edge because we might lose Sweat or Young is just awful team building. You're playing whack a mole instead of actually improving your roster.

You draft them because you know you're going to loose them. It's smart. It's why the Eagles will be good again. Loose Epps, Edwards and JH, but picked up Dean, Blankenship and Davis last year.

• Like 1